Broken Bounds

Sounds

 

“We’re over…” the words that repeated Hyukjae to his own ears tore his heart, he never knew a pounding heart will be when you feel joy as he felt the time Kyuhyun wooed him, neither he knew the beating of a heart will pain him after a break up, he laughed sadistically at his own self.

The trees were immobile as Hyukjae passed them in the way to his house, he didn’t reach it because a pain struck through his brain and collapsed, he contorted before losing conscience.

Once Hyukjae woke up, he scanned the room, Taemin was with him, he was beating his lips hardly and Hyukjae smiled apologetically to him, feeling guilt overcoming him, Taemin eyes told him everything.

“You know…?” Hyukjae asked unsure if those words leaving his lips will be his own exposition, Taemin nodded slowly as if the affirmation will provoke something he didn’t want to.

“I…, when you left the dance room, I followed you because, well…,” Taemin fidgeted his fingers glancing up at them “you have been acting weird, I know you before the kids, even when I met you after Minhwan, so, what I mean, I was worried and… when I tried to reach for you, I heard you broke with Kyuhyun-sunbae and, I followed you silently, you fainted.”

Taemin didn’t say more, he didn’t want to tell Hyukjae how he rushed to the hospital with anxiety overtaking his senses and how he slumped on the floor when the doctor told him to contact Minhwan, the only responsible for telling when the operation will be held.

“Why didn’t you tell us?, everybody surely would have understood you.”

Hyukjae smiled sincerely and sighed, clenching the covers.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t want to spoil anything.”

Taemin gripped tight his fist, he wasn’t mad; frustration was a better word for the emotions passing through his veins.

“Someday, you can lean on us. You’re not only a sunbae, you’re a friend, a brother…”

“Taemin?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

Taemin smiled, he met Hyukjae a year ago when he was in High School, Yunho was a friend of him, and Taemin asked him where Yunho was studying, that latter once invited him to the university and there he introduced Hyukjae.

“He’s an amazing dancer, take care of him.”

Hyukjae nodded, he was so cool in Taemin eyes, and the way he moved was magical, Hyukjae was the second dancer Taemin admired the most. So when he made it to college and dance team, he gathered all the boys, it was sad that nobody believed in Hyukjae and he was the only member in the team, things turned out well, when he met Jongin and the others, a new team for a new leader.

 

 

The principal walked inside the dance room, the members stopped his choreography and wiped their hands off sweat.

Taemin was the first to bow, and the principal grinned at them, his eyes scanned the room and he nodded to his self, and sighed when he saw the faces of the boys.

“Hyukjae already told you, I just come to reinforce what he announced yesterday to you.”

The members watched between each other with curious faces, some blinked and cocked their heads. The principal furrowed his brows when he heard.

“Hyukjae-sunbae hasn’t been here since last week, we thought he got his job at the café back.”

Taemin landed his eyes on the floor, the principal lost his smile and a person walked inside the room, his steps steady.

“Hyukjae dropped the team two days ago, he left to the States with Minhwan today in the morning. I’m your new team leader.”

Confusion took the best of them, contorted faces, shouts and stunned expressions mixed in the place, the principal coughed and got out of the room without futher explanation, Taemin bit his lips and laughed in frustration, that ‘thank you’ were Hyukjae last words. “Unfair” Taemin murmured, he left without a word, Hyukjae choose the team to hate him rather than help him, afraid of pity, really, unfair.

 

 

“Are you sure? We can send them a text at least.”

Hyukjae shook his head and gave the ticket to the stewardess, “They don’t need someone who make mistakes and lead them to their fall, they need a great dancer to make them improve, Donghae always wanted my place, he doesn’t like people but I respect his work.”

Minhwan didn’t utter another word, he thought about how wrong this was, and he stopped, Hyukjae turned to him.

“Minhwan?”

“I-I… you’ll lose everything.”

Hyukjae poker face was something Minhwan didn’t like, less at a moment like this, and he regretted his words at Hyukjae bitter chuckle.

“I have nothing here. Kyuhyun doesn’t want the real me, I made Donghae feel bad, I’m not stupid, he even hated me, the boys will forget me after some time, Kyuhyun will find someone of his class and the school doesn’t need me, neither you, I can go by myself.”

Minhwan his dry lips, feeling his eyes burning and he swallowed a sighed.

“You’re cruel, you know that?”

Hyukjae knew, Minhwan understood at that moment, that Hyukjae always knew Minhwan wasn’t necessary for him, contrasting to Minhwan need to be friend Hyukjae and the latter whispered a soft sorry, he never wanted to take advance of Minhwan yet it was his only choose now, he was afraid of being alone but didn’t want to drag the composer with him. It was Minhwan choice to go with him or serve ties at that moment.

Minhwan took Hyukjae’s hand and stepped inside the airplane, his eyes saw through the mirror how Seoul got smaller at the distance and he laced his fingers with Hyukjae.

“You’ll be fine after the operation.”

Hyukjae closed his eyes, it was faster than he thought, in true he wanted to remain a little more with his friends, but the medic told him the hospital studies that he got in New York arrived by fax to him, and Hyukjae need to take quick the operation.

He didn’t have anything to lose once he broke every bond in Korea, just Minhwan remained at his side and Hyukjae was grateful for that.

 

 

Kyuhyun threw the sheets where the music he composed for Hyukjae were, he furrowed his brows and scoffed watching the piano, images of Minhwan and Hyukjae laughing at him crossed his mind. Donghae was right; he was so foolish, that everybody looked down on him.

He stomped to the principal’s room and the old man stood alarmed, why the best student was there.

“I need to know when I go.”

The principal sighed, he thought so many things ad he answered relaxed, knowing Kyuhyun wasn’t regretting his scholarship.

“When the semester starts, don’t worry, in few months, you’ll go to Germany.”

Kyuhyun nodded and turned to leave.

“Oh, Kyuhyun-ssi, do you know Donghae is the new lead dancer of our school?”

Kyuhyun turned around wide eyed as his mouth was agape; he frowned returning to the desk.

“Where’s Hyukjae?”

The principal was baffled; he expected another reaction, maybe a beam for knowing his best friend was reaching his dream of being the best, or maybe asking him how happened, not ask for Hyukjae.

“He left, he got a proposal from New York; he was gonna reject it, but…”

Kyuhyun didn’t heard after the words New York left the principal mouth.

“Alone?”

“Huh? Oh, with Minhwan, he is a good composer, so…”

The principal blinked when the door was slammed and he scoffed, no one respected him anymore, those rich kids these days.

 

 

Hyukjae gripped Minhwan’s hand, he was in a blue gown and Minhwan was there, wanting to give him courage.

“I’m afraid, this will work?” Hyukjae uttered anxiously. Minhwan wasn’t sure himself, he didn’t know about medicine.

“It’ll be okay, you’ll be healthy after this.”

Hyukjae asked what he feared the most as his lips went dry. “Would I see again?”

Minhwan couldn’t answer that as Hyukjae was dragged inside the operation room.

 

 

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun was smiling when Donghae gave him chocolates, his always friend cheering him up. Unknown for him that Hyukjae was thinking in him as his crane was opened it to have the operation.

“I know you like sweets.”

Kyuhyun nodded unwrapping them and munching with a happy sigh.

“You’re the best.”

Some people is happy, while others felt their hearts tearing, oblivious life is just happy for the ones living it as Kyuhyun wanted to forget Hyukjae with all being, not minding at the other side of the world, a tear left Hyukjae’s eyes and the operation complicated when the machine stopped any sound.