Dance Competition

Sounds

 

Minhwan eyes were red, he didn’t close them all night, it was five in the morning and his head almost fell over the bed. Hyukjae was sleeping, suddenly he heard a slight change in the beep and he open wide his eyes, Hyukjae moved his fingers slowly and his eyes fluttered open. Kibum immediately called the medics, a nurse arrived and she smiled.

“It’s okay, he just need to rest the two weeks, I’ll take my leave, give him the painkillers.”

Minhwan thanked her and helped Hyukjae to sit, so he could give him the pills.

“What time is it?” Hyukjae asked a bit lost and drowsy “No, tell me which day is today?”

Minhwan knew about Hyukjae worrying about the competition, he sighed.

“It’s five in the morning, the airplane already left yesterday.”

Hyukjae glared at Minhwan and shoved his hand away “You’re lying, give me your phone.”

Minhwan couldn’t deceive him and Hyukjae pulled harshly the wires off him.

“What are you doing?”

Hyukjae stare was firm “I need to go, those boys have been working a whole year, they deserve to compete, I’ll go.”

Minhwan was shocked and almost yelled “You can’t! You’re not fine, I’ll go and tell the medics, so…”

Hyukjae stood, almost stumbling and stared deadly at Minhwan.

“If you don’t help me to get out of here, I’ll never talk you again.”

Minhwan chewed his lower lip and trembled, he closed his eyes.

“Just promise me, you’ll have a check in the States.”

Hyukjae grinned “Of course.”

 

 

Donghae smiled at Kyuhyun. He was very happy at the moment while Kyuhyun was making the exam, nervously his lips, he wanted to pass it, his dream depend of it, Donghae told him about how he could be free from his father if he success in Germany.

After the exam, Kyuhyun sighed. He can tell he answered right, almost all, and he smiled, the score will be showed in few days, the day before Hyukjae returns.

 

 

Jongin narrowed his eyes at the pale Hyukjae and he pocked Taemin’s shoulders who smiled and cocked his head, in the end Jongin asked.

“Why you look so… ehem, tired?”

Hyukjae just laughed and felt a pain in his brain, suddenly dizzy, maybe he needed more blood in his system.

“I was excited so I didn’t sleep.”

Jongin sighed and got near Hyukjae.

“You really look pale, if you don’t feel fine; we can wait till next year.”

Taemin nodded as the other boys, Hyukjae shook his head. This chance would never be in their hands again, the principal told him.

“I’m fine” Hyukjae smiled “Let’s do our best, maybe we’ll make a career in Broadway.”

Minhwan bit his lower lip and gave everyone the tickets, he then took Hyukjae’s hand, and Minhwan smiled.

“I bought and airplane just now, I’ll go with you.”

The boys cheered and Hyukjae didn’t took it lightly.

“You have test, Minhwan…”

The named shrugged.

“I can re-take them next week, I’ll pay for a special test, don’t worry.”

 

 

Donghae cursed when he ended the call, he asked the principal if someone was needed as Hyukjae replacement, the answer wasn’t what he expected.

“What are you talking about? The boys left already.”

Donghae cursed, damn Hyukjae, even luck was on his side.

“Someone called?”

Kyuhyun asked after stepping in the room, he went to the piano and sit with a sheet in hands, breathing and Donghae smiled shaking his head.

“Is the song for the exam?”

Kyuhyun smiled grew “Nope, is the song for Hyukjae.”

Donghae growled inside and kept his facede, “I see, I just remember I left something at home.”

That afternoon, Kyuhyun’s father was more against Hyukjae.

 

 

Minhwan was worried after the plane landed; Hyukjae has been dizzy from time to time. Anyhow, Hyukjae never showed it in front of anyone but Minhwan.

Hyukjae went to inscribe the school, and every name in the team, he as the leader, with ID’s in hand, he gave them to each contestant.

“We can, thanks to Minhwan, stay at a five star hotel, so eat and rest a lot, tomorrow the competition will start.”

Minhwan smiled and gave the boys one of his credit cards, he knew it was irresponsible but his worries where focused on Hyukjae.

“We’ll go on a date, so the kids need to eat.”

Taemin shook his head, while another joked “Kyuhyun-sunbae would be angry after I tell him.”

Minhwan rolled his eyes “I’m lying; we’re just gonna buy something my mother asked me to.”

The boys shrugged and the two frames disappeared, after taking a can, Minhwan asked the driver to take them to the best hospital.

Minhwan ushered Hyukjae into the hospital, the later smiling “I’m fine, you’re overworking yourself.”

Hyukjae lied, in true he was really dizzy, even his sight was blur, sometimes clear and others it was like a foggy focus. Hyukjae blamed tiredness.

“Please this way.”

The nurse said in english and Hyukjae was lost as he turned to watch Minhwan. The latter walked next to Hyukjae and translate.

“Just follow her.”

Hyukjae hold Minhwan by the hand, he was afraid, he just didn’t want to show it and the latter chuckled.

“It’s just english, Hyukjae.”

It was a long day, Hyukjae was tired after all the checks he was submitted and sighed when they ended.

“Tomorrow he needs to come again, after that, in three days we will have the results.”

“Thank you.”

Minhwan leaded Hyukjae out of the building “We need to come tomorrow to, after the competition, of course.”

Hyukjae pouted and then he nodded.

“Okay, appa~ I’ll come.”

Minhwan chuckled and ruffled Hyukjae’s hair.

“Do your best at dancing, I’ll feel at easy if you have a check afterward, don’t feel it as a bother, take the mediacl test for me, please?.”

 

 

Minhwan was mesmerized, every team was amazing, still, his heart jumped wild when he saw Hyukjae, maybe Hyukjae wasn’t in the best shape, Minhwan knew after Hyukjae make a mistake that he covered quickly, it even invisible.

Jongin was great as Taemin and the others. Hyukjae, though, was the best in his eyes, he shined, it was as if an aura of light was around him and Minhwan felt a pang of pain, Hyukjae was so perfect, and his eyes, focused in dancing, those beautiful eyes that he knew Kyuhyun loved as well.

The first phase was completed; Hyukjae’s team passed to the next level and Minhwan treat him dinner.

It was later when they went to the hospital while the oblivious boys were playing in the swimming pool.

“That’s all for today, and sir, your partner must rest, the doctor in charge told me, he shouldn’t force his body.”

Minhwan translate the words exactly and Hyukjae smiled “I’m okay, I know my body better than anyone else.”

When the second phase started, Hyukjae was warming up and shook his head, he couldn’t focus the objects, he saw his team blur and he shook again his head, finally focusing perfectly.

“It is our turn sunbae.”

Hyukjae nodded slowly. The quickly moves made him dizzy, the lights hurt his eyes, he just focused on the steps, like a machine, and he almost slump after finishing, his cursed himself, and watched the boys dejected.

“I’m sorry, I messed it again.”

“It’s okay sunbae, as soon as you made a mistake you covered it, just a person who watched the choreography would know the mistakes, don’t worry.”

 

 

It was at the end of the week, when the announced came, and Hyukjae felt like crying, they didn’t got the first place, the third was for them and he felt remorse, he made all the mistakes while the boys were perfect.

“I’m sorry.”

Taemin shook his head.

“What are you talking about? We got third!! Is a good number out of the hundred teams!”

Jongin smirked “With this, we can came back, the school with help us, it means we’re one of the best three dancing teams in the world.”

Hyukjae felt grateful and hugged the boys, “Thanks.”

It wasn’t so easy in the results of the medic test.

“W-what it says?”

Hyukjae asked nervously, he saw Minhwan’s smile disappear all a sudden and how he crashed the papers in hand and throwed them into the can of trash, paying and dragging him out of the hospital.

“They’re lying.”

Minhwan uttered slowly and with bitterness, anxious feeling him as tears left his eyes and he whispered “They’re lying.”

“Minhwan?”

The named turned and grabbed Hyukjae by the shoulders. Minhwan lost eyes watching Hyukjae worried ones. Minhwan hated his self as the words left his mouth.

“Your brain was damaged deeply last time, and the nerves that connect the function of the eyes is haywire, Hyukjae… you,” Minhwan swallowed saliva in his dry throat, and he sighed in despair at the words “you need a surgery or you’ll die because it will expand slowly.”

Hyukjae shoved Minhwan away and shook his head.

“It’s a lie. I’m fine!! I’m damn fine!!!”

Hyukjae ran in the unknown streets and Minhwan chased after him wiping his tears away. Even if Hyukjae summits to operation, he’ll never see again, but his life would be safe. That was what Minhwan didn’t told Hyukjae, he cried for that and because the person he loves was in pain.