While you're not here

Sounds

 

Hyukjae never in his life called for a name, it never worked because he was alone in the world. It didn’t mind when he met Yunho, he was nice with him; it was less loneliness that way, his days got less dull when he got a job at the café and not at any random trashy place as before.

Minhwan was his first friend, Yunho was a respected sunbae, Minhwan though, was someone who he can lean on, smile, laugh, get mad, be himself, later on, he met the boys, small stars in his life making it less and less dull.

He found a sun, someone who could made his heart start beating, someone that slowly grew in him as a song reaching the high note, thumping inside him, and he liked the warmness, he never felt something like that. Hyukjae said surely that those days were short, yet the best for him. He didn’t know when everything turned wrong, until his heart started to break after Kyuhyun words of him being useless, those words hurt more than his sickness.

Hyukjae woke up, his eyes fluttered open slowly and he cocked his head, maybe he was dreaming, everything was silent and he couldn’t see, it wasn’t dark, just a blank space welcomed him as nothingness.

It was a nightmare, Hyukjae though as his breath became uneasy and he tried to open his eyes again, he felt how his eyelids fluttered but why he couldn’t even caught a glimpse of something?

“Is someone there?”

Hyukjae asked feeling his heart hammering wildly, hearing it perfectly and he received no answer, it was a dream, a bad one, he must wake up quickly, and call for Kyuhyun; he’ll be there, smiling, giving him a vitamin drink, singing a song, telling him how much he loves him.

“Please… someone?”

Hyukjae stuttered the words in a whisper, his voice breaking, his nose hot and he felt his cheeks warm, why he couldn’t see, his eyes maybe were wrapped, and he took his trembling hands to his cheeks and his shaking fingers to his eyes, they were open, Hyukjae knew when his finger touched the corner of his left eye, yet everything was blank.

Hyukjae tried to stood, he set a foot on the cold floor, the rustling sound from the blankets reaching his ears and he slumped hardly on the floor, the wires falling with him and some tore from his skin, he winced in pain. Hyukjae panted as the machine that sounded loudly told him his heart was increasing pulsations.

“Someone… Kyuhyun? Anybody, please… please…”

Hyukjae scolded his self, cursed his own voice, the nightmare was so vivid and he was calling with such yearn Kyuhyun’s name, suddenly he felt a hand and even when he knew it wasn’t Kyuhyun and this wasn’t a dream, he uttered the singer’s name.

“Kyuhyun?”

Hyukjae heard nothing as arms wrapped around him and felt a hand making soothing moves on his back, Hyukjae started to struggle, he wanted to see, he wanted to know who was?, where he was?, how he looked right now.

“Please, wake me up. Can you pull off the blindfold over my eyes?”

Minhwan covered his mouth and bit hard his lips, Hyukjae looked so weak, he wanted to hug him yet he stopped and swallowed any shaking breath, he needed to be strong, for Hyukjae.

“It’s me, Hyukjae. Minhwan.”

Hyukjae felt his heart broken for the third time and he forced his lips to smile, it was true, Kyuhyun wasn’t there, with him, and even when he knew the blindfold didn’t exist, he wanted to believe in a false hope, he stopped hearing Minwhan and his lips trembled.

“Minhwan?”

He was alone, when Minhwan left? Please, someone talk to him, it is cold and lonely there, with his own soul, in an empty place. Hyukjae was startled when he felt soft hands taking his ones and he heard a bare whisper as Minhwan set him in the bed again.

“You aren’t blindfolded Hyukjae, the operation succeed, your life was saved, instead, you lost your sight.”

Hyukjae shook his head and Minhwan left the tears escape as he wanted to comfort him, and Hyukjae pushed him off and he stood, falling again, hurting himself and Minhwan hugged him, shouting for a doctor, Minhwan stopped his tears when Hyukjae started to cried out his heart between his arms, and a nurse sedated him, Minhwan carried Hyukjae to the bed, thanking her and wiping with his thump, Hyukjae’s tears away.

“I’m not Kyuhyun, but I’ll try to at least be the person you can lean on until you don’t need me anymore”.

Minhwan felt selfish, not because he wanted Hyukjae by himself but because he wanted to always being needed by Hyukjae.

“Anyhow, if you could see again, I will give my life even if that means I can never be with you.”

Words, maybe those where just words, but Minwhan knew they weren’t just ones throwing in the air, he asked the medics if Hyukjae could see again and how, sadly, there was no cure. Hyukjae’s brain was badly damaged, it was a miracle he was alive and just lost his sight.

 

 

Donghae was really a great dancer, Jongin admired him after some weeks, Taemin respect him and the others as well, and even so, Donghae wasn’t Hyukjae. He shone, he could sang, he could dance, he could act, he was skilled in several things, the boys though, felt an empty hole in their chest, the emptiness filled with time with somehow similar to hatred, but not as strong as that.

Donghae was nice to them, and they felt betrayed by Hyukjae. Taemin just told them Hyukjae had his reasons, and that they shouldn’t feel as if Hyukjae stabbed them in their backs. Jongin scoffed saying he trusted someone who dropped him, Jongin father left him when he pursued his dream of being a dancer, Hyukjae was the one who help him and abandoned him, it was the one with most mixed feelings, he was happy Hyukjae was in New York and mad because he didn’t told him.

“I would support him no matter what. I would even write a sign saying good luck as a dancer in New York!”

Jongin said and others as Jongup, and Changjo nodded. Taemin shook his head. They thought Hyukjae left them to pursue his dream as a dancer, not because an illness.

“Just follow Donghae instructions and forget Hyukjae.”

Jongin frowned and shrugged, it didn’t mind to him then. Taemin didn’t say why Hyukjae left; Taemin thought that if Hyukjae left so sudden was because he wants his illness to remain a secret, maybe he’ll return, maybe…

That hope crushed with the years. Taemin took his own way along with Jongin whom got to be famous dancers. Jongup make it as he auditioned for a group and Changjo got his degree as a dance teacher, everybody took his own way in life, Hyukjae buried as a bittersweet memory. They made with Doghae, memories, they won trophies and the school was recognized as Donghae’s team, no one thought about Hyukjae, the one who started everything. Donghae took all the credit.

They hated Hyukjae as much as they admired him, because he dropped them without saying goodbye.

 

 

Donghae, after those years, when he was twenty three, getting attention from others, without Hyukjae to be compared to, got the best proposals in Korea and he enjoyed that even before graduating, he was already claimed as the best dancer. So, of course, now that he got his degree was acclaimed as the best.

Now, after Kyuhyun returned, Donghae also got something he wanted, he knew when Kyuhyun waved at him and smiled brightly, his luggage in hand and he took out his shades.

“You waited for long?”

Kyuhyun asked sighing, he was a little dull by the travel, and Donghae shook his head.

“Your father wants you there now, you got a proposal to work with me in a musical, everyone is betting for you, of course, my recommendation got something to do too.”

Kyuhyun chuckled and winked at Donghae whom blushed.

“I couldn’t get a better boyfriend, smart, a great dancer, beautiful; I saved a country in my previous life.”

Donghae felt flattered, without Hyukjae, the world keep twirling around. Sadly, even Donghae felt something missing, because every time he watched his trophies, his certificates and prices, he felt empty, as if he didn’t achieve anything, and he wondered why.

 

 

Kyuhyun smiled to his father, he was so proud, finally he could be free to get his revenge on Hyukjae, he was now dating Donghae, still his mind was full of Hyukjae, hatred, Kyuhyun said, just pure hate, he affirmed that when he burned the pictures he bought from Jongin thinking about how Hyukjae cheat on him with Minhwan.  Donghae told him he did fine that time.

Kyuhyun didn’t still knows why he hid the picture of Hyukjae smiling hugging the puffy puppy, neither knows why he returned to collect the sheets with the music that he threw that time, and finished the lyrics in Germany.

“So, you’re really taking that job, Donghae told me is a big one, it is a musical that will represent Korea to the world, you’ll be the composer of the songs, Donghae is going to be the choreographer and, there are still lacking a rapper, you know they are few good ones, so the production is searching for korean people around the world.”

Kyuhyun nodded.

“I’m confident I can take this job, father. I’m the best, no one can beat me in this stream, and none, even some professional in this stream can be better than me.”

Donghae got a call and excused from the living room.

“Yeah, oh, you found him, I’m excited to work with him. I admire his work. Yes, I’ll go with Kyuhyun tomorrow.”

Mr. Cho asked who was, and Donghae smiled.

“It was Mr. Park from the production, it seems they found a famous rapper, he works in Broadway but is willing to work with us, he brings his own composer though, the production is fascinated with him.”

“Really? My son just needs to work with the best of the best.”

Donghae nodded and Kyuhyun asked. “His name?”

“Oh, he is the famous Silver, the one I told you last year, the only one who has met is Yunho, he says Silver is an amazing dancer!, though he doesn’t allow people taking pics of him, yet people say he is kind and cool.”

 

 

 

 


I know, I at describing angst, sorry -cries-.