Ice Melts

My Landlady

 

AMBER'S POV

 

Have you ever felt regretful for letting your anger bring out the worst in you?

 

Have you ever felt so sorry for saying venomous words that hurt someone so bad?

 

Have you ever felt so sick of what you said that you just want to turn back the clock and swallow all those nasty sentences down your guilt-ridden gut?

 

Because that’s exactly how I feel right now, especially when Jackie cluelessly grabbed the key away from my hand and opened my very own apartment unit.

 

It was the room right next to her own and closest to Krystal’s.

 

It is no ordinary room.

 

Amazement is an understatement. I am definitely blown away. My room is beyond what I imagined, positively way beyond. My things, well, they were placed exactly as she said earlier, where they belonged.

 

I had never been such a meticulous and organized girl when it comes to arranging my stuff. My bedroom at the States may not be cluttered and chaotic but it is nowhere near spotless and orderly.

 

Krystal, I can say, is quite the opposite. She knew perfectly where each item should go---- from my picture frames, toiletries, utensils, gadgets, accessories, down to my clothes.

 

My clothes… Woah. Every single one of them was either hanging neatly or folded seamlessly in the closet. She even took the time to categorically place each garment based on functionality.

 

I’d spend days considering where to put this and that but at the end of the day, my room will still end up cluttered and disorganized.

 

This girl is definitely something.

 

Jackie is literally running to and fro checking every detail of our landlady’s handiwork and was about to burst out of the room to thank the girl whose eyes might be red and puffy right now because of my stupidity, had I not grabbed her wrist and shut her up with the story of my vile speech earlier.

 

What happened next surprised me greatly, but I guess I deserved it.

 

Jackie slapped me.

 

She had never slapped me, not once in my life.

 

“Stupid!”

 

I just hang my head low, not even caring to rub my burning right cheek. Aisssh. Too much violent skin contact for me today.

 

“You don’t know her Amber Josephine so you can’t just judge her and make painful insinuations that will bring up memories she’d rather forget!”

 

Awkward silence.

 

“Amber, listen to me…”

 

 

“---------”

 

 

“Krystal lost her parents on her eighteenth birthday. A vehicular accident… They were dead on the spot. It was a miracle that she survived. Yes, she was born with a silver spoon in but after her parent’s deaths, she was left with nothing.Her parents were bankrupt. Their house got foreclosed; all their other real properties were taken away..."

"Nothing was left, except this apartment, and even then, this place had been running at a loss."

"You don’t know how painful losing her family must have been for her, Amber. She only has them. Well, she has a sister, but I think the latter ran away from home a year before the accident and has never returned. Krystal has been searching and waiting for her to come back for years."

"Despite everything, she slowly stood back up to her feet. She worked her off to make this apartment prosper. She finished her business degree by working part time in a bakeshop for extra income.Now she is a full time manager here. Krystal is as great as landladies can ever get. Her personality goes beyond her cold façade, if you take the time to get to know her and see right through it."

"And she’s not hated Amber. She gets misunderstood and bashed for her coldness a lot of times yes, but she is not without real friends who know how great a person she is."

"I admire her. And I’m happy to be one of her boarders here.."

 

I am at a loss for words. I can't even look at Jackie in the eye.

 

She continued,

 

"What you said to her was terrible. She may be ice Amber, but even ice melts. She’s not unbreakable. She’s even more fragile than you can ever imagine."

"I’m sorry for slapping you. I know you just get carried away by your anger but for God’s sake, be mindful of what you say because they can sting like poison to a heart that has suffered a loss like hers.”

 

With that, Jackie left, silently closing the door to a dumbfounded me.

 

I slowly dragged myself to the fridge to drown a cold glass of water. I needed to quench my parched throat. My heart ached when I opened it to find a chocolate cake slice with a handwritten sticky note on the front edge of the plate saying,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome Amber! I hope you like the room and this small peace offering. I was too hard on you earlier. I’m so sorry. But hey! You were the one who screamed to my face! kekeke... Anyway, let’s just start over, shall we? I hope you enjoy the cake and your stay here. Don't hesitate to tell me if you need anything.

 

~Krystal~

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----<3

Double update for my lovely readers and even lovelier subscribers! kekeke

Uhmm. I don't know for sure if I can update for the next few days since I have a scheduled interview to prepare for. But I promise you won't have to wait too long. 

Thank you for supporting this fic! 

Be right back! ^_^