Skip Beat

My Landlady

 

It is half past eleven in the evening. The air is chilly and the streets are slowly becoming deserted due to the cold.

 

Yuri is on the way back to the apartment after buying some groceries for the Jungs, courtesy of an order by her girlfriend, when she saw Ailee sitting and blankly staring into space in a solitary area of the park.

 

She would have normally just shrugged that off, but she saw three men advancing towards the girl from behind. The trio looked up to no good. A beautiful girl alone and looking utterly vulnerable is a perfect target for evil minds. Yuri thought best to rescue her.

 

 She ran towards the girl.

 

“There you are!” She exclaimed, and before the three guys could react, she grabbed hold of the lady’s wrist and dragged her away.

 

“Ms. Kwon.”  

 

They were now a good distance from the park and far from the apartment where Yuri was supposed to be heading.

 

“Aissh.” Yuri let go of the girl’s hand.

 

“Did you know you were maybe pretty close to getting or molested there? And what were you thinking being there this late all by yourself Miss Lee? Thank God I saw you or else—”

 

Yuri was stopped from her rant when Ailee suddenly clenched her shirt, tugged her forward and sobbed on her chest.

 

“Hey, Miss Lee.” Yuri mumbled softly. She wanted to gently caress the lady and comfort her, but like a red light her mind flashed Jessica’s face and so she just stood there frozen and without any words to say.

 

For a good ten minutes, she just let the lady bawl like a child. When her cries slowly subsided, she gently pulled away and offered to take the girl home.

 

“No. Thanks. My car’s right over uh, there. Just... Thank you for letting me cry on your shoulder, and sorry for wetting your shirt.” Ailee smiled a little.

 

“I don’t know why you are crying, but I don’t like seeing you cry like this.” Yuri mumbled without thinking.

 

“Why didn’t I just saw you before I saw her and liked you instead, Yuri.”  

 

Yuri did not know why but when Ailee called her name while looking at her eyes, her heart seemed to have skipped a beat.

 

“Uhm, haha. I already have a girlfriend though, so I could not have liked you back, even if you liked me instead, uh, so that.” Yuri stuttered.

 

“Well Jessica sure is lucky. Thank you, Yuri. You made me feel a lot better.”

 

Again her heart beat skipped, and this time she’s sure it did.

 

“Uhm you’re welcome, Miss Lee.”

 

She probably should see a doctor, Yuri thought to herself after seeing Ailee drive away from where she stood, still unmoving.

 

 

 

-----------<3