Meant to Be

My Landlady

 

Jessica was set to turn him down, say no to what is asked of her.

 

But the old man wouldn’t let that happen.

 

He threatened her. If she doesn’t marry him, not only will they lose everything, but she will lose everyone she loved. He admitted that he was the culprit behind her father’s business failures.

 

He told her this in order to let her know that he is a powerful man, much powerful than her flimsy dad, that he’s someone she should never mess with.

 

If she doesn’t say yes and humiliate him with her rejection, she will surely regret it.

 

“I will have your family killed. Your idealistic mother. Your good for nothing father. Your innocent little sister. And your maid servant."

 

Jessica felt her chest tighten.

 

"Did you honestly think I don't know that that ing dyke is the reason why you could not even consider me? Trust me, she will get the worst of it. I will make sure she disappears forever. Now you wouldn’t want that, would you?”

 

And so she chose to disappear instead.

 

For she did something horrible, something that’s going to haunt her for the rest of her life, because she wasn’t sorry for it.

 

 

She would have agreed to his proposal because what choice does she have when it's her family and Yuri's life at stake, but she discovered a horrible truth.

 

Even if she married the old bastard, he would never fulfill his promise. He will never help the Jungs regain their business stature, and her maidservant’s life had already been plotted against.

 

And so she took the bastard's life.

 

One night, she presented herself in his chambers, clad in a sheer nightgown which highlighted her delicate curves.

 

He was taken aback, but was immensely pleased.

 

So when she offered him a toast to celebrate their togetherness, he, like a fool, drank it in one hurried gulp. He fell on the floor seconds later, before his puckered lips met her own.

 

She never regretted it.

 

But it doesn’t change the fact that she is now a murderer.

 

 

She ran away.

 

She left everything, and everyone, including the girl she loves. Took on a new name, took on a new life.

 

She was the one who lost everything, but she never regretted it. At least the old bastard can't ever hurt her family.

 

It took her years before she finally had the courage to come back for good.

 

On the eve of her sister’s birthday, she phoned her parents. She’s coming back, because she misses them a lot.

 

Her parents could not be happier. They were still barely keeping finances up, but at least they could be one whole family again. They would surprise Soojung with the best birthday present ever, her sister’s return.

 

They haven’t told their youngest daughter a thing, because it was, after all, their fault. They let themselves be fooled by someone as low as Tan.

 

But now they know better. And they would do everything that they can to salvage what is left. A few more steps and they may be able to slowly reclaim their empire once again.

 

But before they arrived at their destination, towards the apartment which was once their getaway, where Jessica is anxiously waiting, the car had a mind of its own, and it drove them to their bitter end.

 

Krystal survived.

 

Jessica, thinking this is her karma, blamed herself for her parent’s deaths.

 

She blamed herself for her sister’s misery.

 

 

 

As she looked at her sister from afar, while her parent’s bodies were being laid to their final rest, she swallowed her tears and decided to leave for good.

 

But when she turned around, she was frozen on the spot as a tear-streaked face greeted her.

 

"Sica."

 

She was pulled in for a tight hug. She let herself cry on the other’s arms for a while.

 

“Sica, I miss you. So damn much.” Yuri tightened her hold on her.

 

Hearing her voice and feeling her warmth after all the time she spent alone, was pure bliss.

 

But she can’t. She can’t stay.

 

“You should go see your sister. She misses you.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why can’t you? And why did you leave? How can you leave just like that? Did you know how worried everyone was? How worried I was?”

 

“Yuri you don’t understand. I killed a man for God’s sake! And now because of me, my parents are dead! I’m a murderer Yul! How can I face Soojung now?”

 

“But it’s not your faul--”

 

“Just shut up and listen to me!”

 

She made Yuri promise her. To take care of her sister for her, to not tell her sister anything, to wait for her until she’s prepared to face her once again.

 

Yuri, with a heavy heart, made the promise. She just couldn’t say no to Jessica.

 

That was the last time she saw her.

 

Until a few months ago.

 

She saw Jessica pass by the apartment’s gates, wearing a disguise, but she knew her at first glance.

 

She ran out to her and enveloped her in her arms. When she pulled back to examine her face, the face she missed for years, her heart clenched.

 

She is still madly in love with the lady she served.

 

Nothing changed even after the years they were apart. But how could she tell her?

 

She doesn’t know if Jessica will ever look at her the way she does.

 

But one thing she’s certain of is that she won’t let Jessica disappear out of her life again.

 

“Yul. I can’t sta—” Yuri gently pressed a finger on Jessica’s lips.

 

“Ssshh. Please don’t ask me to let you go again. Because this time, I’m not letting you Sica. No matter what—”

 

Her words were interrupted as Jessica slapped her hand away and leaned in to seal her lips with a fiery kiss.

 

There were much more fiery kisses after that; the two just couldn’t get enough of each other.

 

No more words were needed to be said.

 

They were meant to be one.