Chapter 2

WOLF

Chunnyeon Arts Academy is the most famous school of performing arts in Seoul, even in the whole South Korea. Due to its old age and many years of prestige, it has already bred well-known names under its magnificence: celebrities, national artists, international performers. Nothing but the finest among the best talents. All aspiring young singers, dancers, and instrumentalists, both from Korea and overseas, are fighting for those limited slots only offered once a year. Success is just a price for the students who graduated from Chunnyeon, for the world class lessons is what everyone’s aiming for, but not everyone deserves. It’s really a big challenge to be accepted, a tough obstacle to get in, and yet a hard-hitting journey to survive.

Lu Han strongly believes that it was not mere luck that brought him here. Rather, his undying passion for music dragged him to Chunnyeon. And he’s ready to prove himself: a blind person can make it out of here successfully.

 

 

Baekhyun woke up, still yawning the dizziness in his eyes, to a Lu Han fresh from the bath and putting on his uniform.

“Woah! You took a bath by yourself?! Even put on your uniform?!” a flabbergasted Baekhyun asked.

Lu Han just smiled at his dumbfounded friend, looking in his direction with the help of his friend’s voice. “Obviously. The orphanage taught me how to be independent. What are you anticipating? That I’ll be like a child who needs guidance in everything? I don’t want to go shower with you, babo.” Lu Han chuckled.

Baekhyun stretched his arms and consumed the last yawns from yesterday’s slumber. “Oh. I should never really underestimate the powers of my blind friend. Are you even blind or are you just pretending? How many is this?”

And Baekhyun flashed a peace sign. Two fingers.

Lu Han pondered for a second, guessing. “Ahmm. Five!”

“Wrong! You are really blind, Lu Han.”

And their morning officially started with tons of laughter.

 

 

Since the classes won’t start until tomorrow, as promised, Baekhyun joined Lu Han in a tour around the campus. Lu Han, being the natural listener, easily took note of everything that Baekhyun had said: the boys’ dormitory (which is a three-storey one) is at the back of the main school building, making it easy for Lu Han to go to his classes; the girls’ dormitory (another three-storey building), on the other hand, is at the farthest right side of the main school building, adjacent to the boy’s dormitory; on the left wing of the main school building, from the first to the top floor, are the classrooms for academic courses (Lu Han never thought that they will still have to cope up with Mathematics and Science in a school of performing arts); on the right wing of the main school building are the classrooms for performing arts, the first floor for vocal music, the second floor for instrumental music, the third floor for the faculty members and instructors, the fourth floor for the classical dances (ballet, contemporary, interpretative jazz), and the top floor for the modern dances (hip-hop, alternative, mixed).

In front of the main school building is the wide field where students can stroll and have fun. Baekhyun described it like that park from the Korean drama Stairway To Heaven, though Lu Han can’t still visualize what it really looked like from Baekhyun’s words. He just listened to his surroundings, in the park-like school field, and he knew that this place is where students can relax and unwind from all of the stresses and pressures of studying here in Chunnyeon. He can hear girls chit-chatting while sitting on the grass. Instrumentalists, who are playing their violins and guitars, perfecting their craft in the natural setting, seem to echo their emotions through their music. The beat of hip-hop music, and probably dancers heaving from sweat, showing off their superb and mad dancing skills, seem to reverberate through the school’s different melodies. This, Lu Han thought, is where he’ll spend his four years of high school, or may be forever.

 

 

“Ayo! Baekbaby!” a deep voice interrupted Baekhyun’s explanations to Lu Han about the usual activities in the field. They both turned, although Lu Han can’t really see who was calling Baekhyun. He wasn’t sure how he will feel about that voice, very deep yet matching to Baekhyun’s cheerfulness, as if coming from a giant living in a mountain of cotton candies. Creepy as it may seem, Baekhyun’s grip on Lu Han’s elbow tightened as he forced a big smile on his face.

“Hey, Yeol!” Baekhyun used that same voice when he first approached Lu Han, back in the orphanage.

“Who’s this new pup?” Chanyeol’s face was so close to Lu Han, as if sniffing his whole personality. Lu Han sniffed back, just by instinct, and this “Yeol” that Baekhyun was referring to reeked of sweat. He’s probably dancing back there in the field, under the gentle scorch of the morning sun.

“Yah! You’re scaring my new friend. Shoo!” Baekhyun screamed, and Lu Han found it cute.

Lu Han insisted, “No. It’s alright.” He smiled at the direction of the giant.

“Park Chanyeol. The most handsome dancer in Channyeon. Nice to meet you.” Chanyeol offered his hand to Lu Han for a shake.

Lu Han didn’t see any of this. Baekhyun continued bickering, that’s really his hobby, as Lu Han has learned a few days ago. “Yeol, Lu Han’s blind. New student. And you’re not that handsome, so stop fantasizing.”

Lu Han heard an oh from Chanyeol, a big one, although he’s not sure if it was about Lu Han’s blindness or Baekhyun’s motherly scolding.

“So you’re the blind student that they’re talking about.” Shoot. It’s about him.

Wait. I can’t understand, Lu han thought. They know about me?

Baekhyun noticed Lu Han’s confused face and explained, “Lu Han, my dear dorm mate, you actually made history as you stepped inside the borders of Chunnyeon. A first, actually. You’re the school’s first blind student, so it’s really logical about all of the commotion that has started since Ms. Park from the orphanage informed the school officials about a blind student entering this school.”

Chanyeol continued, “Yeah. That’s pretty awesome. But pretty burdensome, too. You know, here in Chunnyeon, an image among the students usually comes with a lot of expectations and great pressure.”

“Yah! You’re scaring Lu Han again!” Baekhyun scolded.

“But, aren’t there any students in the past…with…any kind of…disability?” Lu Han stammered, feeling his confidence level go down the slope.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol pondered for a little while, their footsteps clearly heard by Lu Han.

“I remember a girl playing the flute, she’s deaf. I think her name was Choi Sulli. She’s a good student, and she stayed here for quite some time. But…” Baekhyun stopped, looking at Chanyeol, hesitating if he’ll continue or not.

“What happened to her?” Lu Han asked, almost close to a whisper, as if what they’re talking about was pretty confidential.

Baekhyun can’t find the right words.

“She died. Suicide. She didn’t survive Chunnyeon. After her, not a single disabled person entered the gates of this school. She just proved to the real world that a disabled person can’t make it. I guess that’s the reason no one came after her. Except you, of course.” Chanyeol spoke as if telling a legend.

Lu Han’s eyes widened at this. “How did she die?”

“She jumped of the roof top.” Chanyeol answered.

Baekhyun finally found his tongue again, “Yeah. That’s what they said. But I highly suspect that there was a foul play involved.”

Lu Han literally felt like ice down his spine. He never thought that like any other normal school in Seoul, Chunnyeon also has spooky urban legends, except that this Choi Sulli one happened for real.

 

 

 

“We’re finally here! Chunnyeon auditorium!” Baekhyun broke the cold silence.

As Baekhyun said a while ago to Lu Han, before Chanyeol followed them here, the Chunnyeon auditorium is the biggest auditorium in Seoul. This is where monthly recitals, practical exams, and other school activities take place. Besides its size, there’s really nothing special about this auditorium. Like any other one in Seoul, it has a stage for the performers and elevated lofts for the audience. What sets it aside is that feeling when you are inside, that only Chunnyeon students can experience. That feeling of wanderlust, of building confidence and achieving one’s dreams.

“I counted the number of steps from the main school building up to here for you, Lu Han. Two hundred steps to be exact!” Baekhyun said proudly.

“That’s one hundred fifty for Lu Han, for you have short legs.” Chanyeol teased, and Lu Han found it really funny.

“Oh shut up! Are they inside already?” Baekhyun ignored Chanyeol’s insults and grabbed for the handle of the big door to the auditorium, ready to open it.

“Who’s inside?” a curious Lu Han asked.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol chimed in response.

 

 

“EXO.”