Chapter 19

WOLF

It was such a blissful feeling.

He remembered how the other girls in the orphanage would talk nonstop about their first kiss experiences, their high-pitched voices echoing through the thin walls of the small building. Their descriptions of how they felt those butterflies tug in their guts, of how they savoured the taste of their man’s tender lips, of how the ecstatic energy coursed through their insides, was incomparable to the perfect moment he just shared with Kai in this seemingly imperfect time and place.

It was so lewd for him to think how Kai’s lips tasted perfectly, how it pleasurably fit into his. He’s metaphorically high in cloud nine, although Kai’s hands on his chin and on the right side of his face, not to mention his enviable lips, were enough to remind him and drag him back to reality. This is not just a heavenly sweet dream. Kai is real. His lips are real. All of this is real.

How he wished this moment would never end. How he wished that Kai won’t stop making him feel this special. How he wished they would stay like this forever.

 

 

“Oh, Lu Han! I’m so sorry for yesterday!” Baekhyun apologized as he saw Lu Han by his locker, tugging the sleeves of his school coat like a lost puppy.

Lu Han smiled, “It’s okay. Let’s just review my lessons next time.”

Baekhyun breathed a sigh of relief. Moments passed and Kyungsoo was also in the locker area, busy fiddling with his keys.

“How are you?” he asked to the both of them.

“We’re fine.” Baekhyun answered as he wrapped his arms around his roommate. Kyungsoo smiled, even though he knows that his best friend is in a depressing state.

“I saw you and Jongin went out of school last night.” Kyungsoo stated, which made Lu Han’s cheek feel hot with redness once again, hoping that the other two people won’t notice the blush tinting his usually pale face.

Baekhyun said, “Sorry about that, Lu Han. I can’t find someone to accompany you last night.”

“Kai’s alright.” Lu Han softly said, the thrill of the moment they shared in the museum making the hairs at the back of his nape stand on its end once again. No, he’s more than alright. He’s perfect.

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows, “Where did the two of you go, by the way? It’s almost past seven when I saw you went out the gates.”

Should I tell them? Kai said it was his favourite hang-out place, but he never mentioned if EXO knew that as well. If Lu Han only know the secrets of that place…

“He took me to the arcade.” Lu Han shortly said which garnered an “Oh” from both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. Lu Han hopes that they believed him.

But as Lu Han pried in the key to his locker and opened it, a red piece of paper fell down to the floor like how the leaves rustle down to the ground during the autumn season. The blind student did not take notice of the red paper and continued on retrieving the books that he’ll use for his afternoon classes.

The red paper fell down on Kyungsoo’s right shoe, and for a moment, he visualized it as a crimson red fluid which he always sees during a savage night of hunting – blood. Shaking the image out of his head, he reached for the paper, and noticed that it was a sealed letter.

“Lu Han.” Kyungsoo read, taking notice of the swift calligraphy of the letters was perfectly written by the letter’s seal. It was a handwriting that seems familiar, but he can’t recall as to whom writes that way.

Baekhyun tilted his head to read the name on the letter as well, and teased, “Whoa! You’ve got a letter from a secret admirer, Lu Han!”

As Lu Han closed his locker and retrieved the key back from the keyhole, he asked, “Who is it from?”

“There’s no indicated name from the sender.” Kyungsoo shook his head.

Baekhyun, who giggled like a little girl, shrieked “C’mon. Let’s read it!”

After getting Lu Han’s approval, Kyungsoo pried the letter open and read, “Meet me at the rooftop. 6pm.”

The three of them were surprised by the squatness of the message, yet it managed to contain the sturdy command in the words used by the unknown sender.

The three of them fell silent.

Kyungsoo, who was really ghosted out, managed to ask “Who do you think sent the letter?”

Baekhyun noticed the shakiness in his best friend’s voice, and cheerfully said, “You sound so nervous! It was obviously from Lu Han’s secret admirer.”

“I don’t have a secret admirer.” Lu Han shyly said, the pinkish shade once again filling the absent color in his cheekbones.

It must have been Kai. But why would he want to meet me at the rooftop?

“Do you have a plan on following the instruction?” Kyungsoo worried.

Lu Han pouted his lips, “I don’t know. It’s my first time to receive a letter like that.”

“There’s no harm in trying. Just inform us with whatever decision you come up with, okay?” Baekhyun reassured as he patted Lu Han’s back.

“See us before six o’clock in the cafeteria, and we’ll think of what to do about this…strange…letter.” Kyungsoo tried his best to hide the worry and uncertainty in his voice.

Lu Han nodded, and the three of them parted their ways to go to their next classes.

 

 

All throughout the day, there had been no signs of Kai. Since they just finished the special performance in their classical ballet class, he no longer shares any classes with Kai. It was saddening to think this way for Lu Han, for after last night, he strangely grew more attached to Kai than before. He’s not sure of his feelings for Kai yet, but he’s the only person to make him feel weird and special, vulnerable yet safe, all at the same time.

Maybe he’ll sort things out with me at the rooftop…

Lu Han smiled at the thought, but his heart still keeps on pounding hard on his chest that it somehow hurts. He’s thrilled, but the cold feeling forming in his palms was a sign of him becoming anxious as well.

He waited at the cafeteria and sat at his usual spot, the circular table by the glass window. Before he went here, he asked one of his classmates about the time and learnt that there’s still ten minutes before six o’clock.

He feels jittery. Yes, he did made a promise to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo: that they’ll think of something out of that strange letter. But he can’t wait anymore. He wants to talk to Kai badly. His confused thoughts and tangled emotions were like a whirlwind now, and he thought that Kai will only be the pacific gale that’ll calm these furious storms.

He stood up, and recalled that day when Baekhyun gave him a tour of the school. He hopes for the best that he’ll remember the right way to the rooftop of Chunnyeon Arts Academy’s main building.

The crimson red letter in his hands now feels heavy as he takes hurried steps towards the indicated destination. Kai’s waiting for me…

After a long walk on the school grounds, he finally reached the steel circular stairs. The freezing feeling of the steel bars have no match to the cold numbness of his hands. Everything seemed colder, and Lu Han somehow wished he waited for Baekhyun and Kyungsoo to at least accompany him here.

He summoned all of his courage and tried to brush off the mounting uneasiness in his guts as he climbed the steps up the stairs.

He finally reached the metal door to the rooftop, and touched the door knob, which was also as cold as the steel circular stairs.

With a last deep breath, he pushed the door open, hoping that it was Kai waiting for him.

 

 

It was now six o’clock. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun just walked inside the cafeteria where Lu Han was supposed to be sitting in his usual spot.

“No Lu Han?” Baekhyun asked and elbowed Kyungsoo lightly.

Kyungsoo shook his head with his watching owl eyes wide open, “No Lu Han…”

The two of them neither spoke, somehow having the same nerve-wrecking thought.

 

 

After Kris saw Kai and Lu Han kissing in the abandoned museum last night, a bad plan was formulated inside his evil mind. He’ll use Lu Han as a distraction, so that Kai’s mind will focus on his loss instead of the Hunt. With Kai diverted from their real task, he’ll be the first one to find the “deer of the dawn” and therefore be the leader of an immortal pack of wolves.

This night, he’ll slay Lu Han.

Behind his yellow eyes now illuminating the full moon waving up from above the sky, a shattering memory of his now deceased one love in this same rooftop crossed his mind.

It was also full moon that night.

Even though Suho had told him that this was never the brightest idea that Kris had come up with, he thought otherwise. It would be the right thing to do.

As he was staring at the blurring city lights which seem to be an abstract painting beneath the mixing navy blue and pinkish orange of the night sky, soft footsteps were able to penetrate the deafening silence glooming at the rooftop.

Kris turned, and smiled as he saw her standing there. Never did he know that this will be the last time that he’ll be flashing a genuine smile.

She walked towards him, her long straight black locks waving like a fabric sewn by the northern winds. Her smile was perfect, much as well matching Kris’.

Kris opened his arms to invite her for a hug. She perfectly fit in his embrace. For a moment, they were just standing there, inhaling each other’s scents, hearing each other’s calm heartbeat.

She then turned to gaze into Kris’ eyes and asked, “Yifan, why do we need to talk?”

She was the only one who knows his real name.

Kris inhaled deeply before saying, “I need to tell you something.”

She just stayed silent, waiting for her love’s confession.

“No matter what you’ll hear…or see…You’ll still love me, right?” Kris can’t hide the shakiness in his soft, almost whispering voice.

The girl in his arms just smiled, finding the words silly and decided to kid aside, “Of course. Not unless you killed someone.”

She laughed softly, which Kris usually finds attractive, but this time he just kept his stern face on.

Maybe Suho’s right. Maybe I should not tell her.

“But really? What is it that you’re going to tell me?”

Kris then kissed her forehead, said “I love you” and meant it, and locked his lips with the love of his life.

The full moon was calling him. He kept his eyes closed as he heard her reply, “I love you too.”

This is it.

As he opened his eyes, a short gasp from her was heard. She covered with her both hands in disbelief.

“You need to know the truth.” Kris said, his blazing yellow eyes piercing her stare, yet it still asks for longing and acceptance.

The love in her eyes was now replaced with fear. “What are you?”, she managed to whisper.

Kris reached for her hands but she stepped back out of terror. These eyes now staring at her are far from human. “This is the real me.”

“What kind of beast are you?!” she’s now screaming, and it stung Kris’ heart.

With tears now flowing from his monster eyes, he confessed, “I’m a werewolf. But believe me, I won’t hurt you. I just want to be honest to you. I love you…Please…Don’t be scared.”

“Don’t touch me!” she shrieked.

Kris stepped forward, but she stepped back. “I won’t do you harm.”

Despite his calm and almost soothing voice, the girl just kept on stepping back, shaking her head in disbelief as tears kept on flowing down her cheeks like a river.

“Why didn’t you tell me all this time?! Why did you make me believe that you’re…human?”

Kris is also crying. He just want to hug her so tight, that maybe, if she’s wrapped in her arms, she will calm down and accept him as he is.

“Because I’m afraid to lose you…”

She just kept on shaking her head and whispering “No. No. No.”, as if this was all a nightmare. A dreadful one. With her shaking knees, she just kept on taking a step back, afraid that this monster will attack her any moment. She’s now at the brink of the rooftop. She’s trapped. She has nowhere to go.

At the heat of the moment, Kris let out a frustrated shriek, losing his control and letting the power of the night take over his sanity. He does not want this to happen straight in front of her, but the full moon just summoned his wolf form.

 

He growled. She screeched.

 

 

This isn’t a scene of a person trying to win his love back anymore.

 

 

This is a sight of a predator ready to devour his prey.

 

 

He advanced. She jumped.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello AFF! I'm back! Again, I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting for so long. But since it's summer vacation already here in the Philippines, I'll be able to write once again. No more homeworks, exams, and school projects. YEY~! Once again, I would like to say thank you to all of you who still supports me and my story. Keep the love love love love love! :">

And also, please follow me on tumblr where I also post my other writing stuffs :)) Thank you in advance! http://awesomenerdyglasses.tumblr.com/