Chapter 14

WOLF

The night at the abandoned museum took Kai and Lu Han’s relationship with one another notch higher than what they usually were; just two team mates in Lee Sunghwan’s ballet dance class. Now, as to Lu Han’s apprehension, Kai’s constant approach towards him seems to falter a bit. Kai seems to be more distant than before, and Lu Han doesn’t know why. If he’s not only shy and worried that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo would misunderstand the whole situation, he would have asked them to talk to Kai about this sudden change.

In contrary to his measured distance to the blind student, Kai also seems to be more protective of Lu Han, whether they’re in dance practice or not. Lu Han found it funny that even if Kai is always there, together with his bunch of blabbering friends, he’s so distant that he found it hard to look after Lu Han from any harm that is unknown to the blind student. Nonetheless, both were enjoying the company that they’re sharing with one another, even if there is an unseen barrier that they both build up since that one fateful night in the museum.

Half of the student population of Chunnyeon Arts Academy are all busy preparing for the first grand showcase. Where they’ll get the chance to show how good – best – they are at their own crafts. The halls and the wide field alike are filled with students practicing all day long. The perseverance and determination to stand out and be the best of the best can be inhaled from that air in the whole campus. The competitive spirits of everyone seems to be enlightened as the most awaited program of the school’s first quarter started in the big domes of Chunnyeon auditorium.

“We really need to polish Lu Han’s pointe works. He seems to stumble doing his last pointe steps with you, Kai. We need to perfect it this time, unlike that sloppy ones back in the preliminaries.” Sehun informed his team mates, in a way that he almost sounded like the serious-version of their ballet dance instructor, Lee Sunghwan.

Lu Han can’t remember every detail of their performance in the preliminary exams, for his thoughts were occupied by the only dancer that can make him feel like a moth attracted to the enchanting heat of a candle flame. But he thought, nevertheless, that Sehun was right. He’s the head of the group after all, and his comments really matter for their first showcase.

“What was the part in your pas de deux with Kai that you find the most difficult to execute? I repeat, we need to polish it. Is it the fish dive at the end?” Sehun brought Lu Han back into reality.

Lu Han stuttered, “Ahmm…The…The five consecutives pas de chats….to be honest…”

The fish dive was no effort for the blind student. Many ballet pairs find it really hard to do the said position, but Kai seems to find it really easy to lift and hold Lu Han’s petite figure in that position. Lu Han was thankful of that: him feeling all little and fragile, held by Kai’s strong and protective arms, the distance between them so close that he can even smell the scent of the shampoo that Kai uses.

“I thought you already taught him how to execute it?” Sehun was now referring to Kai, who seems to be deep in his own abyss of confusing thoughts.

Kai only nodded.

“Okay. If that’s what blind-ie here finds the most difficult to execute, then we should polish it.” Sehun proceeded to get his notebook from his bag after he patted Lu Han’s head.

Sehun, like the natural choreographer that he is, sat down on the grass and watched his two other team mates practice as he took down notes to refer to the both of them after their session.

Lu Han waits for Kai to instruct him on what to do, but Kai can’t look at him straight in the eyes. The imaginary walls between them are getting thicker and thicker by the passing seconds.

“I’m waiting, guys. We don’t have the whole day to practice.” Sehun said impatiently, flicking away the sweaty hair from his face.

Kai, getting annoyed with Sehun’s impulsiveness, cleared his thoughts from all the ironically clear blurs of the night in the abandoned museum that he just shared with Lu Han. He can’t be the confused predator right now. He needs to be just a normal school boy helping his disabled classmate master a dance move. This will be easy.

Or so he thought…

“Just remember that the pas de chat is also called the ‘steps of the cat’.” Kai started, still keeping his distance from Lu Han who is flexing his joints in a warm-up position.

Lu Han jokingly said, “But I’m the deer of the dawn, right? I don’t need to step like a cat.”

He wasn’t expecting that he will be met by a dead silence.

Kai, on the other hand, seems to be shaken from his consciousness, clearly remembering his hunch turned into discovery in the uninhibited halls of the museum. You’re not the deer of the dawn. You can’t be…but your blood…it speaks the truth.

“You just need to jump sideways, and perform two retirés while in mid-air.” Sehun was able to cut the gloomy atmosphere, this time referring to Lu Han who attentively listens to his instructions.

Kai was still deep in his thoughts, torn between two exploding voices in conflict inside his head, while Lu Han tried what Sehun has just recommended. The blind student jumped sideways, but as soon as his right foot touched the ground after he did the last retiré, he accidentally stepped on a medium-sized rock and stumbled down the ground. Sitting on the grass, Lu Han felt a short pang of hurt in his ankle and groaned a soft whimper.

Upon seeing this, Kai and Sehun ran for their injured team mate, both of them checking Lu Han’s scraped ankle.

Sehun was assessing the injury, thinking that Lu Han can’t perform for this night’s showcase.

“I can perform. This is nothing.”

Sehun insisted, “But a sprained ankle isn’t something small in ballet, trust me. This may even lead to something more serious.”

“No! I need to do this, or else I’ll have to fail in Lee seonsaengnim’s class.” Lu Han doesn’t want to cry over a small injury, but it was his entire Chunnyeon dream at stake.

Lu Han’s scraped and slightly bleeding ankle gives off another alluring and over powerful scent to Kai’s inborn smelling, signalling the beast inside him that in front of him is his prey; something to be killed and devoured. But seeing Lu Han’s teary and almost-angelic face, Kai fought the monstrosity of his real identity and convinced himself that it’s not the time for him to be a werewolf. Yes, Lu Han maybe the “deer of the dawn” and his heart may be the sole hope of their dying pack, but it’s the same heart that he wishes to have, although he can’t summon to admit it, for a very long time. He now knew what to do with the prey that they’ve all been hunting for almost centuries now.

 

 

 He’s still Lu Han. The Lu Han that I love. I need to protect him. No matter what happens, I will.

 

 

 

The programme started with EXO performing on the stage, crumping their superb yet agile dance steps. The footwork and blockings of their new dance number garnered the most applause and cheers from the audience watching, which was heightened as the master of the ceremony announced that EXO just practiced the complexity of their choreography for less than three days. As usual, the crowd went wild like some crazy fandom as the best dance group of the school exited the stage. Never did anyone know that there’s nothing but professionalism that’s remaining in that group, for their brotherhood is in the verge of smashing and crumpling down the ground.

As usual, Lu Han teased his friends Baekhyun and Kyungsoo as soon as they joined him in his seat, “It was awesome watching you, guys!”

Both of his friends laughed, Kyungsoo adding, “Yeah! I actually heard your cheer the loudest.”

Lu Han was with Sehun, who kept silent as the other two dancers started talking to Lu Han nonstop even if they’re seated at the back of the blind student. Both of them are already in their costumes, looking elegantly paired in their silver and white leotards waiting for their other group mate who’s still in the changing room.

“I bet Kai will be late again.” Sehun said to himself, but Lu Han heard it.

The blind student turned his gaze at Sehun who’s seated at his left, “He will come.”

“Are you sure your ankle is fine?” Sehun worried, knitting his eyebrows as he looked at Lu Han’s face. It was the first time that Sehun was able to take in Lu Han’s profile in this unmeasured distance. He really looks innocent; I’ve never seen someone this modest before…

Lu Han just smiled at his friend, melting Sehun’s cold heart. “Yeah. I told you I can do it. Thanks for the compress that you applied a while ago.”

Sehun shook his head, “Who’s being the brat now? Kai and I agreed that we’ll reduce the five pas de chats to only three…and that’s what you’ll do later.”

“But…” Lu Han started protesting.

Sehun flashed his index finger and touched Lu Han’s lips for a hush, “No but’s…I’m the head of our team, right? You’ll do whatever I say.”

Lu Han nodded, and started speaking as Sehun’s cool finger left his lips. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Sehun was confused.

Lu Han bent his head down, “For being a burden. I know I’ve been from the very start, let’s admit it. Now we have to change the choreography just because of me, and I know you don’t like that since it’s your masterpiece. But I still feel thankful.”

“A sorry a while ago, and a thank-you just now? Thankful for what?” Sehun asked again, a smile forming his lips.

“For your understanding and patience.” Lu Han smiled.

Sehun also shared a smile, and patted Lu Han’s head.

 

 

 

With that, the first showcase started as the selected students in the vocals and instruments class started the presentation. It was none of anyone’s surprise that the trio of Kim Taeyeon, Jung Jessica, and Seo Juhyun will deliver an excellent song number, but everyone kept on wondering why in the world does the blind prodigy of Chunnyeon Arts Academy is not included in the vocal and instruments line.

Never did anyone expect that Lu Han’s name was included in the line of dancers who will be performing next.

Lee Sunghwan introduced the chosen students in his class, “My ballet dance class will surely surprise you all, for we have a very important member who defied a barricade in the world of stage: one who never failed to amaze all of us with his mad piano skills, and one who also once said ‘I can’t dance. A blind student can’t dance ballet.’ Yes, you heard it right! Together with Chunnyeon’s Kai and Sehun and their masterpiece entitled The Hunt…may I present to you…the blind prodigy, Lu Han!”

As the red velvet curtains of the stage uncovered the performers inside, everyone was longing to see Lu Han poised to dance, but as usual, they saw him sitting behind the piano, pressing the keys to Beethoven’s Symphony No. 14. The school orchestra positioned at the side of the stage also started accompanying Lu Han’s playing of the piano as Sehun and Kai started their most-awaited performance with their first pas de deux.

With the slow flowing of the music which filled the air inside the whole auditorium, everybody’s hairs stood at its end as they witnessed another rare performance on the history of the school: Kai and Sehun, who were self-proclaimed rivals from the very beginning, are now performing as one in a single stage.

Kai is the wolf, the beast that lures in the darkness of the night; the predator among to many creatures walking the same earth, the monster which hides in a façade of pitch blackness. With a majestic yet fierce pirouette à la seconde, Kai transformed into a fiend of the legend.  He also showed the wolf’s hunger by doing some spins with the working leg in second position in à la hauteur. His muscles and toned physique showing how hard the execution of the ballet moves amazed the audience. It was Kai after all, the living dance machine of Chunnyeon, now prancing on stage just like a wolf with his black and fur-adorned costume.

As Kai crouched on the floor, signalling the wolf’s dire need for the power of the moon, Sehun started doing his 32 continuing fouettés. Sehun resembles the moon which glooms over the starry night sky; the wolf’s source of energy, which channels its clout every night for the wolf to not die famishing. The audience were mystified just like the wolf for every Sehun’s turn reflects the spotlight, forming a magic-like glow just like the heavenly body of the night.

The first pas de deux of The Hunt ended as Sehun and Kai’s cooperative yet competitive stance finished with a powerful grand battement, which signifies the transfer of dynamism from the stalely moon to the starved wolf.

The applause from the astonished spectators signalled the start of the act’s second pas de deux. Everyone’s excited for Lu Han will finally be dancing with Sehun. Lu Han felt a lot of butterflies fluttering inside his stomach, but it was not the right time to feel anxious. Shedding away the remaining nervousness from his body, he walked to the stage, reaching for Sehun’s hands to guide him by the center. He can’t help but smile after hearing Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s cheers from the deafening noise of the crowd, but Lu Han had no idea that some people…or some creatures…inside the auditorium felt uneasy right from the very start of their performance, right from when they heard their masterpiece’s title. Just like how Kai reacted before, some members of EXO felt uncomfortable with the whole concept. But if every other member from their pack feels jittery, one member flashes a smirk with an unknown missive beneath it – Kris.

The crowd went silent as Lu Han seems to be the spirit of a forest with his white attire matched with small antlers in his shoulder pads, giving him the looks of a real untamed deer. Lu Han did several types of pointe works while approaching Sehun at the other end of the stage, the music from the orchestra giving him allotments on what next steps to take. Lu Han did pretty well for a beginner of pointe work techniques, for he resembled the “Deer of the Dawn” leaping under the shades of the moon. Sehun, on the other hand, did several petite allegros and sissones around Lu Han, reminiscent of the protection that the moon’s shade gives to the weak persona of the deer. Both of them seem to be shining under the spotlight due to their shining and illuminating leotards, almost perfecting a very complex pirouette which signals the end of the second pas de deux of their act.

As the crowd went wild once again, Sehun exited the stage, leaving the “Deer of the Dawn” behind the curtains. Sehun saw Kai walking towards the stage, but held him by his right arm to stop him in his tracks.

Without looking at each other, Sehun said, “Lu Han’s up to you now. Don’t do whatever you want.”

Kai understood his message despite the lack of appropriate words, and nodded. “Yeah, I’ll keep my promise to him. I won’t let him fall.”

With that, Kai entered the stage with a regal fouetté rond de jambe en tournant, his sudden movements matched by the now accelerating tempo of the orchestra which signals the real start of The Hunt – the deer’s capture and death.

 

But behind the grandness of the crowd and the stage, Lu Han was able to feel Kai’s hands on his shoulders just before he enters the stage, just even in his imagination. He was now again in a state that he doesn’t know what’s happening around the crowd, and around him and Kai. Without any words, he knows that Kai’s there to not let him fall, just like what he promised.

With the up beating beats of the sonata, Lu Han knew that he now needs to execute his three consecutives pas de chats, which take after the deer’s instinct to run for its puny life. Lu Han summoned all his might and brought his feet as high as possible, jumping with his knees apart. Everyone was stunned at the blind student’s close to perfection implementation of the hard ballet jump.

Kai, who was the only person besides Lu Han standing in the stage, was also the only one that was able to read the pain distorting the blind student’s face. He knew he tried his best and wants to do it right, but his ankle failed him. Yet, Lu Han was able to beckon and fake the pas de chats, which was a rare thing when dancing ballet and it amazed him. But on top of that, Kai felt worried a lot for the blind student’s condition.

The audience watching the thrilling scene of the running deer chased by the wolf were exhilarated as Kai caught up to Lu Han’s “speed”, their hands doing common developpé and attitudes in the process.

As Lu Han did a single twist of a pirouette, and Kai did an adage, their eyes met each other’s gaze.

Kai whispered, “Your ankle…”

Lu Han answered back as he made another pirouette with his uninjured foot, “I’m fine.”

Just like the famous Rose Adagio in a pas de deux in “The Sleeping Beauty”, which was Sehun’s idea even though it was normally done with a lot of performers on stage, Kai and Lu Han did some arabesques, both of them standing back to back. This complex act made it easier for them to whisper words to one another, which was another thing that the audience found interesting. It’s as if the deer is begging for the wolf to spare his life.

“No, you’re not fine.” Kai whispered.

Lu Han answered back, keeping his composure, “I said I’m fine.”

“I have an idea. You can’t do the fish dive with your injured ankle.” Kai continued

Lu Han was worried, thinking of their other teammate, “We can’t change the choreography. Sehun will be mad.”

 

“We can. I don’t want to see you hurt.

 

 

 

They parted and went at the two other sides of the stage – Kai on the left and Lu Han on the right. They were now supposed to end their masterpiece with the famous and tough fish dive, which was anticipated by everyone, especially Sehun who worked hard for their whole concept. He knew Lu Han was injured and he will still need to support some of his weight, but the burden of the whole heft will be shouldered by Kai, so it will be no problem.

But everyone was surprised, including Lu Han, as Kai made an unexpected gesture to end their pas de deux, which was none of their prepared choreography.

Kai started making a long jump, starting from one and ending on the other. With a full leg split in mid-air, perfecting a grand jeté, Kai frolicked towards Lu Han, who’s like a deer frozen at the suddenness of the moment – of his nearing death.

 

 

 

The people inside the auditorium gasped as they immersed themselves in the ing scene, the wolf delivering the decease of the pathetic deer.

Lu Han forgot the dance step that he’s supposed to do – the preparation for their fish dive – for instead of being devoured by the wolf, he was captured by the strong arms of Kai in a very tight hug.

The audience were startled as the wolf bit the deer’s neck, the monstrous sight flashed before their eyes right afore the curtains closed and the whole auditorium applauded and cheered for such an intensifying chef-d'oeuvre.

 

 

But it was not really a bite that Kai gave to Lu Han’s neck.

 

 

 

It was nothing but a subtle kiss.