Chapter 27

WOLF

Under the illuminating power of the full moon, two robust creatures were battling to kill each other. Kai tried to bite Kris’ neck, his jaws tattering with a strong magnitude enough to break ligaments and joints, all for Lu Han’s safety. Kris, who was lucky to dodge the attack, had regained his stature and pounced onto the other’s body using his nuzzle, with all of his force exerted for his immortality. The other leader of the pack fell to the ground, which signalled his weakness. This was taken by the other rogue wolves as a sign to attack, each howls marking the start of a blood-spattered clash of the last two packs of werewolves.

With one loud growl, Tao advanced for Lay. The usually quiet and reserved werewolf has skills that no one should underestimate. His flexible body was able to move out of the round, yet he didn’t doubt to cause harm to his old friend. Seeing that his plan haven’t worked out, Tao once again progressed towards his opponent but Lay was able to ditch him, but this time he had counter-attacked, trying to bite Tao’s neck. As his canine teeth pierced through the other’s fur-covered skin, drawing blood upon the punctures and slashes, Lay almost gritted within the taste of the fluid that has never touched his tongue in almost a very long time.

Hearing Tao’s whimpering under Lay’s strong bite on his neck, Xiumin went to his rescue. Seeing his pack member losing in his own battle, he planned to do the same to Lay, despite the other being his friend. Believing Kris’ initial words before they went to attack the others up here in the secluded mountainous area, he reminded himself that in this Hunt, no one other than their own pack should be considered as their friends. As he ran towards the towering body of Lay above the weakening yet struggling Tao, Xiumin have prepared his pincer-sharp claws to reach for his opponents body, but he have not prepared for Suho’s motive to save his friend. With all of his weight in his body, Suho threw himself up in the air, meeting Xiumin’s forwarding mongrel self. As their jumping movements coexist and their disparate body movements met, they were forced to stumble down the ground. As soon as they regained balance and their hind legs equalizing the force of the falling impact to the ground, Suho and Xiumin also engaged in the same scuffle that they have sought to save Lay and Tao from.

The sounds of growling and howling, teeth clashing against teeth, claws scrabbling against claws, were intensifying as Kyungsoo ran towards the battle perimeter. As soon as his image was showcased by the shrubberies, Chen immediately went for him. The difference in their sizes would have anyone anticipating bet on Chen to be the one who will do the killing, but Kyungsoo’s predetermined way of fighting, mostly made up of strong defences than offenses, was something not to be underestimated as well. Upon realizing that Chen’s proceeding towards his location, Kyungsoo immediately used all of his force to slide onto the ground, his light body gliding against the ground as he dived, with an oblivious Chen faltering upon meeting his steps with Kyungsoo’s calculated move of guard. Within minutes, Chen regained his self and stood on all fours, ready to attack the smaller pup. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was also prepared with his striking offences as he tried to reach for a bite onto Chen’s front legs. This rumble keeps going on and on, flesh being cut as blood spurts out, as the night deepens.

The once united pack was now attacking one another, each member ready to kill their opponent. Despite their differences, no one seems to be winning for everyone has a reason to fight for: immortality, revenge, and love. This crash continued to rumble, each canine choppers snapping through  bones, each grazers tearing fine flesh, each pair of yellow amber eyes focused on the death of the other werewolves.

This never-ending encounter for power continued to ensue, each creature of the night seems to be having endless energy and limitless will to fight. As their blood splashes against the green humid grass of the forest floor, all of these bouts were suddenly put to a stop when an echoing set of gunshots was heard from above the mountain, followed by a weakening howl of a wolf. This horrifying weapon sound was enough to freeze time for the raging werewolves; the bullets are their only weakness, the same thing which almost ended their whole race, and this gunshot just proved them that there is another enemy besides the other pack who are after them all.

Where’s Baekhyun? Kai asked Kyungsoo in between growls, legs still ready to attack even though all of the werewolves around seem to be stupefied.

Kyungsoo turned his head away from his opponent Chen, who was luckily not moving upon hearing the gunshot. He had noticed that it was not only Kai who was waiting for him to answer, and after all the years of being together, he had learned that waiting for an answer is not a good thing for the patience of a werewolf. Without even thinking of the consequences, he told the truth.

He went up the mountain. He’s still looking for Lu Han.

Upon hearing the blind student’s name, Kai howled before running up the mountains. The first one to move after him was Chanyeol, who had realized that he should follow after Kai, not because he wants to cause him and Lu Han harm, but because he wants to make sure that it was not Baekhyun who received the silver bullet from that gunshot which seems to still reverberate in his eardrums.

Seeing two members from the two different packs flee up the mountain tip, the others followed running, each of them howling and growling as they were running once again despite their weakening and bleeding mongrel bodies. Everyone wants to win this endless race up the forests, and no one is stopping nor looking back.

 

 

 

Baekhyun was on the run. His swift movements gushing like the wind through the night, he went up the mountains. As his clawed paws were pouncing lightly against the ground, he suddenly stopped on his tracks as his too sensitive nuzzle was able to smell a foul yet captivating smell which by now he became unfamiliar of. Unsure of his steps, the wolf which everyone called “pup” followed the odour oozing from the cracks of the forest soil.

Is this blood?

He was unsure of the now drying dark brown patches on the ground, but his nose confirms that this is what his brothers were craving for a very long time, the anchoring fluid of their ancestors, and the necessity of them all: human blood.

Since he was the most reluctant werewolf of all time, Baekhyun, ever since he was a child, finds blood very unappetizing. Yes, he may be hungry but animal meat is enough for him to satisfy the hunger. How he wished that he’ll just be human, not depending his carnal sustenance to devouring gruesome flesh and tasting the disgusting crimson fluids that come along with it.

Baekhyun’s adventure to Disgust Island was then interrupted as he thought of as to whom these blood splotches came from. Is this Lu Han’s blood?

With the image of his blind friend bleeding to death, Baekhyun decided to follow the trail. It was relatively easy for him to climb up the mountains because of his agile robust body. His amber eyes set on the blood staining the brown and green mixture hues of the ground, Baekhyun was kind of hoping that he’ll find Lu Han there by the end of the nauseating trail of fluid so that he’ll be able to protect his friend. But at the back of his mind, he can’t help but think of the blind student’s ill fate, as to why he is bleeding or as to whether or not something…or someone… is chasing him.

After a few manoeuvres uphill, Baekhyun was able to breathe a sigh of exhaustion and relief as he saw Lu Han’s unmoving body crumpled down the ground, his smooth back against the bark of an aging tree. He took cautious steps as to not surprise his friend of the monster that he really is, just in case Lu Han’s conscious.

As he was nearing Lu Han, Baekhyun saw how pale his friend was. The pup let out a small purr as he was taking in the poor image of an unconscious Lu Han; this sight is more horrible than seeing him connected to different machines surrounded by the white walls of the clinic a few nights before. With tears starting to flow in his eyes, he carefully the side of Lu Han’s face, just like how a domestic pet dog would do to comfort his loving owner. With his nuzzle, he sensibly searched for the source of the dripping blood which in fact helped him find Lu Han’s whereabouts.

Baekhyun felt relieved as he discovered that the blood was coming from a few yet deep lacerations on Lu Han’s bare soles, and not from some flesh jiggered by some canine or claws, which he inferred came from the sharp stones that Lu Han had stepped on as he was running.

Then the werewolf realized that if Lu Han was running from something, he should protect him at all cost. Baekhyun looked at their surrounding and noticed that they were out in the open. So just like how his mother carried him back when he was just a little puppy, Baekhyun reached for the back portion of the neckline of Lu Han’s shirt, careful as to not tear any piece of clothing or flesh with his canine teeth.

As he carefully dragged Lu Han into someplace safe, Baekhyun’s yellow glowing eyes were met by a pair full of hatred and revenge.

Sehun.

“Stay away from him!”

Within a matter of seconds, Sehun aimed at Baekhyun’s torso, his arm muscles clenching as he held on to the handle of the gun he was holding. As the monster in front of him, the one similar to what killed his parents a very long time ago, was dumbfounded by the sight of the pistol, he pulled on the trigger releasing the silver bullets that will not only start his revenge but will also save Lu Han.

Baekhyun’s natural speed is no match to the velocity of the released chink of metal. The feeling of the bullet meeting his torso, making a way inside his very own body, was like that of water droplets in a sink. The rippling motion was supposed to be very relaxing, but for Baekhyun’s state it was that of excruciating and horrible pain. That tiny bullet now resting maybe on his insides send a burning sensation in his trunk, and just like how the raindrops would eventually make the city road wet within a matter of moments, the agonizing ache now throbs in his limbs, in his head, in his very core. As he dropped onto the ground due to his nearing death, Baekhyun released his grab of Lu Han’s collar and now they were lying on the same ground just like how they would sleep in their dorm room, only this time they were both dying.

As the ironically loving and accepting cloak of death now starts to cover Baekhyun’s consciousness, several images of his life flashed through his sore mind.

There was an image of his roommate, who was now lying beside him probably dying as well, when the two of them met for the first time. As soon as that brownish fluffy crown of Lu Han’s head was illuminated by the morning sun, Baekhyun instantly found this boy from the orphanage really special. There’s something about his blind eyes that tells Baekhyun that even though he’s unseeing things, he views the world differently, as much as how the world sees him as well. If this were really the last time that he’ll be able to breath, as the silver bullet poisons his blood, he will surely miss the late night talks shared within their dorm room, the classes that they shared, and all the glorious moments that Lu Han had experienced to finally discover his real self in Chunnyeon, for Baekhyun had always been there to witness how a tiny flower blossomed from no one to a significant someone.

An image of Kyungsoo also rushed through Baekhyun’s mind, his best friend who was always there through thick and thin. Whenever he feels unsure of himself, whether it may be of them being werewolves or just being a typical student that they’re required to pretend to be, he was always there to keep his mind on the track. His encouraging words became his pillar, his main source of perseverance and will to go on and live life as it is. He will also never forget those tender moments where Kyungsoo stood for him, that night when their pack had finally divided into two, his promise that he’ll protect him no matter what. Even though his best friend was not here to take the bullet for him, Baekhyun still felt grateful that Kyungsoo really did his best to keep his promise. For all of these, he will forever be grand to call someone like Kyungsoo his best pal.

Above all, speaking of promises, that tall guy with the dopey eyes, big ears, and infectious smile always plastered on his face crossed his mind. It was like a romantic comedy movie as he thought of him as they always laugh and joke around, the happy and carefree times before all of these troubles started to tear their relationship down. Back through the night in the abandoned museum, where his heart was broken into tiny piercing pieces by a promise not being kept, as their hands let go of one another, Baekhyun still felt glad that he came to his life. He’ll never be the same Baekhyun, that one whose head was resting peacefully through the lightly heaving chest as they hugged in silence inside the school library. No words spoken, just the mere and undeniable connection reliving itself as they were wrapped in each other’s arms.

Chanyeol…

As his energy falters down to the negative, the stinging bullet making its presence very noticeable through the blood gushing out of Baekhyun’s body like a faucet, he transformed back to his shivering human self.

“So it is true. You and EXO are all werewolves.” Sehun whispered as he saw the transformation with his very own eyes, taking a few careful steps towards the two bodies lying on the ground.

Baekhyun, with all his remaining might, pleaded, “Please. Please spare Lu Han from all of this.”

Sehun let out his signature smirk, “Oh, I don’t need to be reminded. After I’ll kill all of you, Lu Han and I will be leaving. He’ll always be safe with me.”

“Why? Why do you need to kill us?” Baekhyun asked in between of gasps for oxygen.

Sehun aimed his gun at Baekhyun’s face, his hands clenching the handle of the pistol, ready to release another killing bullet that will finally shut one monster down. “You don’t need to know.”

Baekhyun wanted to close his eyes as he will meet the last bullet that will finally take his life, but he chose not to. For the last time in his life, he wanted to be brave; he wanted to prove that he can face death with open and seeing eyes. He was not convincing his brothers that he’s valiant enough to do this, he wanted to prove it himself.

Right before the deathly trigger was pulled by Sehun’s finger, a growling wolf emerged from behind the green bushes surrounding the open forest space.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun shouted with a shrill and shaking voice, as if asking for help, as if asking the wolf to stop chasing his own death.

There he was, Chanyeol, who above all of the conflicts between their packs stood to finally pick up the pieces and keep his promise to the man he loves. After hearing the gunshot from the area near the campsite, Chanyeol immediately thought of Baekhyun, and just the thought of the silver bullet piercing his skin is enough for Chanyeol to finally abandon Kris’ pack and their mission and be on the track up the mountains to save him.

As he turned his head to the pleading voice that just called his name, as if it was singing a song just like how it used to be, he realized that despite all of his efforts, it was already too late. His yellow wolf eyes met Baekhyun’s tear-filled ones, and there in that moment, the both of them once again felt that same connection that they missed for a very long time.

Instead of sulking, Chanyeol immediately had his eyes on Sehun. Seeing the gun flew from his hand as they collided, Chanyeol advanced for his target, the once bratty Sehun who now almost ended Baekhyun’s life. Sehun, who had expected for EXO to finally be there to back-up their severely injured member, was able to run for the gun and dodge the wolf’s attack.

“Chanyeol, no! His gun’s loaded with silver bullets!” Baekhyun warned, eyes wincing at the sting in his torso.

But Chanyeol was ready to kill now more than ever. Ignoring Baekhyun’s pleading for him to stop battling Sehun, he once again advanced for the man with the gun. In no time, as much as his life was now also in danger, Sehun fired his gun. Calculating and expecting that move from his opponent, Chanyeol was able to swerve his way out from the deadly bullet’s trajectory. With one howl of angering despair, Chanyeol progressed towards Sehun.

Seeing his pack member in danger, Xiumin jumped in the air, claws ready to tear Sehun’s head from his shoulders. But the momentous soaring of the wolf was suddenly put to an abrupt stop by another gunshot from Sehun’s pistol, the small piece of metal making its way echoing from the cylindrical barrel and into the crevice between Xiumin’s eyes. As the blazing yellow amber eyes of the monster were now filled with the crimson fluid which signifies death itself, everyone seemed to be down-rooted to where they were standing.

Xiumin’s dead body made its last reflex and involuntary movements as the silver bullet cracked his skull and made its way through his brain. The deceased body of the devilish wolf slowly descended back to its human form, revealing that now paling and once puffy cheeks of the guy everyone used to call “baozi”.

Seeing his brother’s dead shivering body in a pool of his own blood, Chen could not contain his anger and ran for Sehun after he had howled for Xiumin’s death. Tao, being the loyal pack member that he is, also did the same. In no time, two members of Kris’ pack was on the run and just like that, another pair of silver bullets met two hound bodies. Chen and Tao’s growls were silenced as their bodies slumped down the ground, the exterminating ammos instantly taking their lives away from their transformed bodies.

With three members of his pack already dead and gone, Kris would have been infuriated, and he is. Number is very important in a pack of werewolves. But he chose not to act impulsively just like what his brothers had done which had led to their demise. He, of all the other werewolves, knows how fast one silver bullet can take a monster’s life, and no he will not let just a tiny piece of metal take all of his plans and efforts in vain. At the back of his head, this is all going too well. With Xiumin, Chen and Tao gone on the way, he can have the Deer of the Dawn’s immortal heart all on his own.

On the other hand, the adrenaline of killing not only one, but four of the monsters that he despise the most flows through Sehun’s lean body thus giving him enough energy to shoot aimlessly. Without even thinking where his bullets may go, it seems as if his eyes were blinded by the striking shade of revenge for his loving parents’ deaths. He can save and take care of Lu Han later; his focus was purposed on killing all of these monsters in front of him.

Seeing four of their brothers bathing in their own bloodstream, the once fearless hunters were now being chased by silver shells coming from Sehun’s piston. The remaining members of the two packs were on the run for their lives, each being hunted down by the raging Sehun as their bodies disappeared in the shadows of the forest.

With all of the other wolves and the killing gun out of the way, the two alphas remained on the opposite sides of the deer’s unconscious body like how the hands of the clock are positioned during the midnight. Besides the sounds of nature given off by the forests and its inhabitants, nothing but the heaving breaths of the two warring werewolves could be heard.

It all comes down to this. I’ll finally win this Hunt!

I won’t let you near Lu Han!

Those short conversing growls between the two pack leaders were enough to signal the resume of their interrupted brawl to death a few moments ago. Kris’ long and slender body started running towards his prey at the middle of the forest area which will serve a battlefield where he’ll finally kill his greatest opponent and claim his longed for immortality.

Upon seeing his mortal enemy’s quick motion towards Lu Han, Kai was immediately brought to his feet, running in the same direction. He’s the most determined now more than ever to save the love of his life, for he’s willing to do everything under his might and power to not let Kris harm Lu Han further. He won’t let Kris anywhere near the Deer of the Dawn. But as soon as Kai had stepped his right front leg forward, an excruciating pain sent chills through his spine. He then realized that he was almost shot by one of Sehun’s silver bullets when he raged a while ago. Despite the stinging soreness in his grazed limb as he took each hurried steps, Kai kept on running. He needs to get to Lu Han first before Kris could get any chance.

The two alphas almost reached Lu Han’s position in the exact same time, but Kai was swifter as he motioned in front of Lu Han’s lump body. His growls and baring teeth were enough to tell Kris that he’ll be willing to die for Lu Han’s safety. Kris knew this, and he will be more than glad to oblige.

The scent of Kai’s blood reached Kris’ nostrils before he can even advance for Lu Han, and in this moment he was eager to kill for his opponent now had an Achilles’ heel. Without any anticipation as to what Kris would do next, Kai almost shouted his loudest shrill as the poisoning pain brought by Sehun’s silver bullet on his flesh was heightened by Kris’ piercing canines tearing on the tissues and veins. With the greatest magnitude that his jaws could muster, Kris tried to split his fangs deeper into the flesh, making its way to possibly crush all of the ligaments covering the bones of Kai’s right front leg. Upon hearing some cracks just like how Lu Han’s bones disjointed that ill night at the rooftop, Kris’ grip on his opponent’s leg threw Kai like a rag out of his way with one agile heave.

Kai’s back hit a nearby tree almost as hard as two city buses could be on an accident. Upon transforming back to his human form, his consciousness slowly drifted away from his will.

This can’t be happening. I need to save Lu Han!

He now tried to stand on his legs, but his body is failing him. The vicious agony both from Sehun’s silver bullet and Kris’ canines, added to the impact that his body received from hitting the tree hard, are almost killing him.

Kris’s yellow amber eyes devilishly looked back at the Kai, thinking that after all of those years, it all came down to this, him finally winning a battle against his arch nemesis. He intended to kill Kai right at that moment, but he thought of another worse form of torture, more than what Kai’s once strong body could handle.

 

 

He’ll kill Lu Han in front of Kai’s very own eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I'm sorry for a lot of things, for not updating this story, for keeping you hanging for a very loooong time, for killing some of the characters, etc. Please do continue on supporting this and please hold on 'til the very end. The story's almost ending! I'll really finish it this time. Thanks for all your support! Saranghae~ :)))