Chapter 13

WOLF

Their performance of “The Hunt” on their preliminaries passed like nothing but a blur to Lu Han. One moment he was at the back of the piano, playing the complex symphony while holding his tears back, and the next one he’s doing their last attitude for the pas de deux – him by the arms of Kai, holding a fish dive position.

That night, his ears were filled with a lot of applauding cheers and words of praises, for he made it: a blind student can dance ballet. Even he himself could not believe it, it was all dreamlike. Lu Han was able to break down a barrier in the world of stage, another wall in fact, for he can now do two crafts that everyone before thought that he cannot accomplish.

Together with five other groups, Lu Han, Kai, Sehun, and Baekhyun passed Lee Sunghwan’s preliminary exams, giving them the most sought after slots to perform in the Chunnyeon Arts Academy’s first showcase together with the best students of the school year’s first quarter.

Since it was Sunday, and Lu Han has no classes, he decided to make a call to the school bus provider and asked if he can pay for a visit in the orphanage. Lu Han felt happy that his request was approved. Now he can inform all of the kids and Ms. Park back in the orphanage of his new milestone as a performer. He’s sure that they will be really gladly proud of him.

Lu Han, after being assisted by Baekhyun, now boards the school bus that will take him back to his home. He can hear other students chattering in different seats inside the vehicle, thinking that they’ll also probably visit their own families. Lu Han found himself smiling, his excitement bubbling the butterflies in his stomach. He never thought that he’ll miss the people in the orphanage this much.

“Hey, blind-ie.” Lu Han knows that it’s Sehun. No one ever calls him that pet name.

Lu Han smiled at Sehun, and the other one took it as a hint to take the seat beside the blind student.

“Where are you headed?” Lu Han asked Sehun, whom he can’t find a single appropriate label for. He’s neither a friend nor just a team mate in ballet class. Lu Han doesn’t want to bug himself of such nonsense. Sehun’s just being himself, although Lu Han can’t understand the sudden change in his moods most of the time. Sometimes he’s all too friendly to treat him bubble tea, and sometimes he’s a sarcastic brat just like what his friends think. This time, he hopes that he’s the friendly one.

Sehun answered after a sigh, “I’ll drop by the park where I’ll meet my parents. You?”

“I’ll visit the orphanage.” Lu Han said shortly.

Sehun refused to make the conversation longer and stopped asking follow-up questions, to which Lu Han was thankful for. He never likes it when people know that he’s an orphan; they’ll just pity him. On the other hand, Sehun just thought that maybe, Lu Han is just an active volunteer…or maybe…

Nonetheless, the silence which usually carries an awkward atmosphere made both of the passengers comfortable. Sehun was the one to hop off, since the park was closer to the school than the orphanage, and bade goodbye to the blind student.

 

 

Lu Han found it easy to walk through the gates of the orphanage after the school bus dropped him off. He memorized this tracks just like a lullaby sung ever since he was a child. Lu Han smiled as he heard the laughter of the children playing in the playground.

“Lu Han hyung!” some of them called while running to his way, and Lu Han played with them a little bit.

“How’s life in Chunnyeon? I bet you’re famous now.” One of the little girls said.

Lu Han smiled at this, and while patting the child’s head, he answered “So far, so good. And I’m not famous, although I have a lot of new friends. They’re all amazing and talented.”

His fellow orphans were all eager to listen to their hyung’s adventure in Chunnyeon, but Lu Han was cut off as he heard the front door open.

“Lu Han! I never thought you’ll pay a visit until Christmas break?” Ms. Park enthusiastically said.

Following the motherly voice, Lu Han walked up the porch and hugged Ms. Park as tightly as he could, inhaling her caring scent. “I missed home.”

The next thing, Lu Han was inside Ms. Park’s office, his most favourite part of the orphanage. Lu Han then proceeded to tell his stories in Chunyyeon Arts Academy: his arrival, his new friends, and the Mugunhwa Soiree.

“I know you will do well.” Ms. Park complimented.

Lu Han wasn’t sure of the words he’ll use to tell Ms. Park his new discovered craft. “I can now dance.”

Ms. Park fell silent, but Lu Han was sure that she was in utter shock. “What? H-how?”

Lu Han smiled as he heard the astonishment in her voice, which he already expected.

“A….friend….taught me how to dance.” He answered.

Ms. Park formed an oh as she heard it. “Too bad I didn’t get to see you dance.”

“Are you free this coming Monday? I’ll have a ballet presentation on our school’s first showcase.” Lu Han informed the house mistress eagerly.

Ms. Park just shook her head, “I’m sorry to say, Lu Han, but I’m not free. You know how this orphanage is being run, I’m always busy with stuffs. But don’t worry, I’ll just send you congratulatory flowers.”

Lu Han felt his heart sink, quite disappointed. Nonetheless, he still smiled, for he was sure that Ms Park is happy about his new accomplishment.

“But if I may ask, is ballet hard?” Ms. Park held Lu Han’s hands, her own way to show her support to the only blind orphan in her institution.

Lu Han answered, “Yes, it is hard. Especially for me who can’t see.”

“But you made it despite your lack of sight! I’m sure there’s someone who inspired you. Who is it?” Ms. Park teased, noticing the sudden flush of redness in Lu Han’s cheeks.

Lu Han just shook his head and replied defensively, “No, there’s no one in particular. My…my teacher…is just hardworking in teaching me the steps.”

A smile of purity carved up Ms. Park’s lips, “I know you too well, Lu Han. I know when you’re lying.”

“No, really, Ms. Park! There’s no one…” Lu Han shyly admitted.

Ms. Park just huffed, “If you insist on not telling me, I’ll respect your privacy. But remember, like a mother, I’ll always be here to listen, understand?”

Lu Han stood up upon hearing this, hugging Ms. Park and thanking God that he had her in his life.

The blind student spent his weekend at the orphanage, helping Ms. Park and the volunteers in taking care of the children in the institution. He felt glad to be home, but the conversation with Ms. Park left him wondering, If Hunnie encouraged me to play the piano…then is it Kai who inspired me to dance?

 

 

After spending over the weekend at the orphanage which he calls home, Lu Han went back to Chunnyeon Arts Academy with a new fuel of courage to face the unexpected challenges coming his way. One of those hurdles is the school’s first showcase, which will be held tomorrow night. It’s not an obstacle for Lu Han to play the piano in front of the crowd, but it’s seems like he’s prancing in the dark whenever he dance.

Lu Han had spent his whole day inside the auditorium practicing with Kai and Sehun. The two dancers just polished up their pas de deux, fixing tiny mistakes in their almost too perfect execution of complex ballet dance. As for Lu Han’s part, he spent half of the day practicing his part of the choreography with Sehun, and the other half was spent with Kai who partnered him. While exhausting all of his energy throughout the rehearsals, Lu Han was able to compare them.

Sehun, whether in a normal day-to-day basis or in practice, has a lot of mood swings that Lu Han thought that he may be suffering from serious personality disorders. The blind student just keeps figuring out the cause of these sudden changes, but he still can’t figure the whole picture out. Sehun is sometimes so careless, that he just dances with Lu Han as if the two of them were playing some sort of a child’s play. Then he’ll be this strict mentor who judges Lu Han’s mistakes all of a sudden. It’s like a light switch being and off alternately. Lu Han just perceived that may be, Sehun is just being eaten up by the stress of the first showcase, or he just wants to follow the pattern of his masterpiece.

Contrariwise, Kai is constant and unchanging. He is also a perfectionist just like Sehun; all dancers are, Lu Han thought. He still sticks up to the choreography that he made, but is more understanding for Lu Han’s committing of mistakes. Unlike Sehun, Kai seems to remind more of himself that Lu Han is blind. He understands that all of these are new to Lu Han, who is always behind the piano, with just his fingers and ears doing wonders. Kai seems to be also more patient than Sehun, always asking Lu Han to perfect his pointe works which is the most significant part of Lu Han’s role in the two pas de deux that he’ll be appearing in. All of Kai, Lu Han was thankful.

With their sweat-soaked clothes and sore bodies from exhausting themselves practicing the whole day, Sehun informed the two, “Let’s call this a day. I’ll go straight ahead to my dorm room and take a rest.”

Lu Han bade goodbye to Sehun, but Kai remained silent.

As Sehun turned his back, approaching the doors of the auditorium, he added, “Please don’t be late for tomorrow. That’s for the both of you…”

It was clear that he’s only pertaining to Kai. Again, Kai didn’t respond.

Lu Han looked at Kai’s direction, following the sound of his breathing. “Don’t mind Sehun. He’s just tired.”

It was all sudden of a moment that Kai grabbed Lu Han by his wrists and lugged him down the stage and out the auditorium. Lu Han was surprised at Kai’s sudden action.

“Wait! Where are we going?” Lu Han asked, grabbing hold of the duffel bag hanging by his shoulder which threatens to fall due to Kai’s fast footsteps.

Kai didn’t answer and continued walking. They were now exiting the gates of Chunnyeon Arts Academy.

“You’re grip is too tight!” Lu Han complained, a hint of annoyance heard in his voice, which made Kai stop on his tracks.

Kai looked at the blind student and muttered a sorry as he let go of Lu Han’s wrist. The blind student now pants and breathes hard, feeling his lungs almost suffocating for the loss of oxygen.

“Am I too fast?” Kai worriedly asked.

Lu Han smiled weakly, “Obviously. We spent the whole day practicing, and now you’re dragging me elsewhere. My stamina’s not strong as yours.”

Kai smiled, for it was the first time that he heard Lu Han made a sarcastic and blunt reply, and found it adorable. “Okay. Let’s just walk now.”

With that, Kai’s hand which grabbed Lu Han by his wrists found its way to the other’s small hand. With Kai’s skin on his, Lu Han felt secured. The blind student felt safe that he’ll not stumble on the way as to where Kai intends to go, and that no monster in the dark alleys will try to evade him. Lu Han also smiled at the thought of comparing their hands’ proportions, for Kai’s long slender fingers seem to fit perfectly on his on-octave-reaching trifling ones. As cheesy as it may seem, Lu Han felt the butterflies in his stomach rumble in anticipation and excitement. It’s as if Kai’s heat transfers through his body and soul just like how a river’s waters flow in between the cracks if a parched piece of soil.

“Where are we really going?” Lu Han asked for the second time, as he heard the honks of the engine in the streets and the reverberation of Seoul’s late night life filled his ears.

Kai kept on strolling through the sidewalks Lu Han still in his hands. “Somewhere where I usually hangout.

Lu Han fell silent, satisfied with Kai by his side, guiding him through the maze-like turns of the city. He knows deep inside his heart that Kai will not take him into some dangerous place. He just knows…

After some minutes of wading through the metropolis, they finally reached the abandoned museum. Lu Han felt Kai’s hands left his, and for that short moment in time, he seems to be longing for his touch.

A creaking sound was heard as Kai tried to push the locked rusty gates of the museum, assessing the space in between the hinges of the two metals.

“I think you can fit here.” Kai called for Lu Han, and assisted the petite frame as the blind student stretched his way inside the gates. He was right, like Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, Lu Han found it easy to pass through this gate without much effort.

Once Lu Han was inside the uninhibited gardens of the museum, Kai on the other side walked a few meters, gaining inertia, and jumped high. Grabbing the Gothic bars of the gates, Kai climbed up with not much effort exerted.

“What did you just do?” Lu Han curiously asked.

Kai answered shortly, “A habit.”

Again, Kai held Lu Han’s hands as thy walk the meters of grass etching towards the large doors of the museum. Lu Han once again felt that same sensation from the first time that Kai held his hands

“Can you answer me now?” Lu Han asked, looking at Kai.

Kai smiled, looking back at Lu Han, “You aren’t asking any question.”

Lu Han smiled at Kai’s swaggering, “Where did you take me?”

“To the abandoned Museum of South Korean History.”

The name brought some memories to Lu Han’s mind, how he heard that this building had been reported in the news to be abandoned completely by the city government a few years ago. “This is where you hangout? This is illegal.”

“Yeah. And it’s not illegal. However, it will be if you report me to the police. Will you?” Kai said, whispering as if someone might hear them.

Lu Han shook his head; feeling thrilled of Kai’s thick and deep voice. “It’s the first time that I made friend of a city rebel.”

Kai smirked and said, “I’m not a rebel, just a rule-breaker. That’s different, right?”

“Well, they may be. They may be not.” Lu Han shrugged his shoulders.

Kai once again looked at Lu Han’s blank eyes, “Would you be willing to break a rule…for something you love?”

Lu Han was not able to answer, preoccupied by the question. Kai was not actually waiting for any, for he was asking the same question his self.

They reached the side wall of the museum, where one of the big windows is displayed. Kai touched the smudged glass, and used his elbow to break it down. The sudden blow and sound of shattering glass startled Lu Han.

Kai read this, and assured him, “Don’t worry. No one will notice.”

Lu Han was assisted by Kai in entering the abandoned museum through the small space offered by the broken window. As usual, Lu Han passed through easily due to his small stature.

The atmosphere inside, even though Lu Han can’t see the view, seems to be unnerving to the blind student. The cold air crisps down his spine, and is enough to make the tips of his hair all over the body stand at its end. If not for Kai’s hands at the small of his back and his irresistible presence, he will be left insane with the illusions that maybe caused by the silence which is so deafening that you can almost hear your own blood rush down through the veins of your own body.

Kai guided him through the halls of the museum. “This is where I usually hangout.”

“Alone?” Lu Han nervously asked, his heart thumping loudly inside his chest.

Kai nodded, “Yeah. All alone.”

Lu Han was frightened at the thought, “Aren’t you scared?”

“There’s nothing to be scared of.”

Lu Han wants to believe Kai, but the darkness of the night that glooms over the place scares Lu Han even if he can’t see it with his own poor eyes.

Kai sensed Lu Han’s fear, as he noticed a cold sweat run down the side of his face.

“Try shouting. It will make you less scared.” He advised.

Lu Han just looked at Kai’s face.

“No one will hear you. There’s no one here. It’s just you and me.”

After hearing that, Lu Han screamed at the top of his lungs, his voice echoing down the walls of the abandoned museum. The lagging second of the reflection of sound amazed Lu Han, imagining how big and marvellous the cracked walls of the museum are. “Wow.”

“I told you it will be incredible.” Kai proudly said, seeing the bewilderment in Lu Han’s unseeing gaze.

Their feet dragged them to the central lobby of the abandoned museum, where Kai and his pack of werewolves usually gathers in the middle of the night.

Lu Han asked Kai the question that has been washing through his mind a few moments ago, “Why did you take me here?”

Kai knew this would come, Lu Han would ask him this question. He knew the answer already, not just like an answer to a mathematics quiz. An answer carved deeply down his beating heart, which he had already discovered a long time ago – ever since he met him.

But his ability to speak and confess was creased and overpowered by his intrinsic ability since birth. He smelled a scent so alluring and enthralling that he has known ever since he started living by the rule of their pack. The tempting scent of blood.

His eyes darted to Lu Han’s hands, and confirmed that the scent was so powerful that there’s something different.

“Your hand is bleeding…” Kai said as if he’s in some kind of a trance, yet has his control over the situation, over the hunger.

Lu Han will not be able to know it until Kai noticed it. He held is hands up, and he also smelled his own crimson liquid flowing out profusely from the linings of his palm. “The broken window wounded me. But it’s not painful…”

Lu Han was lying. It was painful, like his flesh was cut deeply and his tissues are all torn. He felt a tingling numbness a while ago, but hasn’t noticed it since he was drowned in the bliss of the moment and being with Kai alone. But now it was painful as if burning his whole limb in hell.

He hid both of his hands behind his back, the blood dripping down and soaking the brown carpeted floor. Lu Han heard Kai make abrupt and hurried footsteps towards him.

“Give me your hand.” Kai commanded.

Lu Han hesitated at first, unsure of what to do, but followed Kai nonetheless, his thoughts clouded by the searing pain.

He was surprised at Kai’s unexpected response – his wet tongue some of the blood clean from Lu Han’s wounded palm.

Both were taken aback. Lu Han felt a little disgusted at the sensation given by Kai’s pallet.

“Why did you it?” Lu Han whispered, though his voice still echoed.

Kai fell silent for a while, and lied, “It is beneficial to wounds. There are compounds in human saliva that speeds up healing…”

The dead air filled the room. Both of the figures standing under the night light were under their own thoughts.

Kai recalled the trice that he had tasted Lu Han’s blood.

 

It can’t be.

 

Kai felt…tasted…something prevailing and dominantly powerful in Lu Han’s blood. As soon as the plasmatic red fluid touched his tongue, it’s as if a surge of upwelling energy and riveting force heaved throughout his whole body, his drawn hunger and hidden desires, and the unleashed beast inside his rootless soul.

 

Kai doesn’t want it to be real and refused to believe it, but the truth seems like a colossal monster finally freed from its penitentiary prison.

 

 

This is nothing but a dream…

 

 

This can’t be…

 

 

Lu Han is the “Deer of the Dawn”.

 

 

 

A/N: First of all, I'm so sorry for updating the chapters very late. I know you've been anticipating updates every now and then, but there are just several factors that hinder me to do so. One thing is that we just transferred to a new house, and our wi-fi connection started getting crappy on our new location. Another thing is that I'm also getting busy with school, which just started a few days ago. I hope you do understand that even though I write as a part of my leisure time, I also want to allot most of my time in the academic field. I'm now in my second year of college, and it's starting to get serious and tidious that my studies really need to take much of my time.

Nonetheless, I'll still try to update this story as much and as soon as possible. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience, my dear readers and subscribers. I still hope that you keep up with my story here on AFF. Enjoy reading, guys!

Another thing...For all the Filipinos out there, let's all celebrate our country's Independence Day! Mabuhay ang lahing Pinoy!