Chapter 25

WOLF

Lu Han remembered himself deciding to sleep than to talk to either Kai or Sehun.

As he opened his eyes, still unseeing, he knows that he’s not leaning against a tree. Instead of a rough bark which tells how old a tree is, his nape feels something soft: a pillow. He then heard a door creak open.

“Hi, Lu Han!” It was the camp site owner, Kwon Yuri.

The blind student smiled upon hearing her voice, feeling her boisterous energy flow through his exhausted body. “How come…I’m here?”

“Kai and Sehun carried you here. The other boys are back from their hike, they said you became too weak to continue climbing up the mountain.” Ms. Yuri explained while he patted Lu Han’s head, fixing his hair.

Lu Han found his head nodding, thinking how Kai and Sehun managed to carry him back to the cabin without engaging in a punch-up. He then decided to sit up as he heard his friends’ laugh outside his window.

As if reading the question in his mind, Yuri explained, “We’re having a bonfire tonight. The boys are helping with the set-up. Are you sure you’re okay now?”

“Yeah. I should go see them outside.” Lu Han smiled at the owner’s fondness.

Yuri just smiled as he watched the blind orphan walk his way out of the room and into her garden.

Kai, Sehun, Lay, and Suho were with the male workers gathering some twigs and branches which will fuel up the bonfire that they will set up later as the moon shines the brightest. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were helping some of the female workers of the campsite in cooking and grilling some barbeques for the bonfire later.

Lu Han followed the whiff of the barbeque smoke and was called by both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.

“You made us so worried a while ago. Are you okay now?” Baekhyun asked his roommate as he was putting the last piece of bell pepper in the kebab that he’s making.

While trying to reach for the bag of marshmallows and some sticks, Lu Han answered, “Yeah. I’m a lot better now. I wish I was there with you.”

“The view at the tenth mark is as welcoming as Ms. Yuri’s garden, that’s for sure, but it could have been better if you were there.” Kyungsoo said as he checked the tenderness of the meat that he’s grilling with a fork.

“Where are the others?” Lu Han asked.

Baekhyun snickered at this, “You mean Kai and Sehun?”

Lu Han was surprised, though he took it in a cool manner, “No. I mean, everyone?”

“They’re around the area, looking for fallen branches and twigs for the bonfire.” Kyungsoo answered, giving his best friend a glance at his last remark.

“You know, it was really a surprise that neither of them had a bruise on their face as they successfully accompanied you down here.” Baekhyun said a-matter-of-factly

Lu Han could not agree more. But he asked another question instead, diverting the topic. “Whose idea was this bonfire, by the way? It’s so cool, I haven’t experienced one before.”

“Exactly! That’s the reason why Ms. Yuri gathered all of us here now. After knowing that it’ll be your birthday tomorrow, she thinks it will be a great gift from her and her workers.” Kyungsoo answered.

Lu Han smiled at this, “I really should thank her. She have done a lot since we arrived at her place.”

“She’s just so amazing.” Baekhyun coerced.

His other two friends nodded, agreeing.

 

 

 

Chanyeol had received a text from Baekhyun. His phone vibrated thrice already, but he can’t afford to check and read the messages, or maybe some missed calls or voice messages.

Who are you fooling, Chanyeol? Baek won’t call you…

Chen noticed the smug look on Chanyeol’s face and asked, “Hey, you alright? Seems like something’s bugging you for the past couple of hours.”

He just flashed his too normal, too wide grin. “This is nothing. Don’t mind me.”

He was with Chen and Xiumin at the rooftop, the same place where a rogue wolf had attacked Lu Han the other night. Chanyeol need not to think of whom it may be, everyone knows who tried to murder the blind student here. But he can’t do anything with it; he’s their new pack leader.

Chanyeol took this as a chance to grab the phone from his pocket after Chen walked towards Xiumin who was looking at the city lights.

He was right. He smiled as he read the name on the screen.

It’s Baekhyun…

A text message isn’t bad, at least the pup thought of him.

We’re here at the mountains for Lu Han’s birthday. Redwoods Camping Site. Don’t worry about me, I’m great! I hope you’re doing fine.

Chanyeol’s day was now finally complete. He almost died thinking all day where Baekhyun might be. Now that he knows where he is, and that he’s safe and he’s probably enjoying himself, even without him, he can’t help but feel happy that his precious little pup is alright without him by his side. Though he noticed the several emoticons that Baekhyun usually inputs in his messages are now missing.

“Kris…” Xiumin called as the metal door banged open.

The leader of their new pack entered their new territory, Chunnyeon Arts Academy’s rooftop.

“Where’s Tao?” Kris nonchalantly asked, his serene face almost too confusing the real evil intentions formulating in his mind.

Xiumin cleared his throat before answering, for he knows that Tao will be punished as Kris never wanted them to be late, unlike in their old pack. “He said he’ll be here in a minute.”

Kris just raised his eyebrow upon hearing this. “I guess we should start now. I hate wasting time.”

With that, the three students took their steps towards their new leader, but still keeping a distance. All of them are strong and fast, but not enough to compete with Kris’ robustness and desire to kill. Any wrong word or any miscalculated move might cause a stir which may lead to a bloody thing or another.

“I know you have heard what happened to our school’s blind prodigy, Lu Han.”

The three just nodded. Kris continued.

“I did that, if you want to ask. But something…unfortunate… happened. Kris, Kyungsoo, and the pup came to rescue. I had to abandon, of course. We should not underestimate Jongin, I admit, and Kyungsoo’s premeditated way of fighting should never be in question.”

Kris stopped, snuffling at the thought of Baekhyun fighting against him. He also excluded the part of Lu Han being the “Deer of the Dawn” in his narration of the blind student’s ill fate, for he thinks that this is not the right time for them to know.

His thoughts were interrupted by Chanyeol, who of all people in this rooftop Kris thought would not be able to speak, without the pup that he adores and protects hiding behind his back.

Chanyeol thought that him leaving Baekhyun behind in the abandoned museum the other night would be the last time that he’ll be a coward, so he stood up to Kris now and bravely asked, “Why Lu Han? Why would you attack him? He’s so defenseless.”

Chen and Xiumin expected Kris’ clawed hands on Chanyeol’s neck by now, but they were correspondingly surprised that Kris was still there, standing under the forming full moon.

“You wanna know why? Because Lu Han has this effect on Jongin, we all noticed that! I saw them kissing in our past hangout place the other night. So I thought, ‘If he were able to mark the blind student as his new mate, then poor Lu Han, I needed to kill him.’ You know, I need Jongin to take away his mind towards our similar goal: the deer of the dawn.”

Chanyeol can’t believe how evil their new leader is. “He can’t see you! Why would you attack someone as weak as him?”

With Kris’ unbelievable speed, he was now standing right behind Chanyeol, even before the question was finished. With his hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder, he simply said, “Nothing’s better a distraction than a lost mate. I know that. And by now you should understand, Chanyeol, don’t you think?”

Kris’ implied message on his plans for Baekhyun’s life was enough for Chanyeol to grit his teeth, now turning into canines. He tried his best to keep from transforming into full form, though his springing claws were able to puncture his hands which are now curled into fists.

Xiumin noticed this, and spoke in everyone’s behalf. “Hey, chill down. We’ve got a smaller pack now. We badly need numbers.”

Upon hearing Xiumin’s logical explanation, Chanyeol was able to calm himself down, even if the thought of a dead Baekyun is willing tears in his eyelids and piercing his very soul. He feels weak, but he can’t afford to look like this with Kris just behind him.

Kris then proceeded walking to the barricade of the rooftop, admiring the city lights.

“I’ve heard Jongin’s pack is not around in the city. Anyone heard where they went?” Kris asked, this time the authority in his voice lingering.

Chen looked at Xiumin first, before they shook their heads a no.

Kris knew the answer all along. Knowing Baekhyun, he must’ve told him where they went. He reached out his hand and asked Chanyeol, “Give me your phone.”

Chanyeol bravely shook his head. If he’ll give him his phone, not only Lu Han’s life will be in danger, but also Baekhyun’s. He can’t lose Baekhyun now. He’ll never forgive himself if something terrible will happen to him.

He refused, “I don’t know where they are. And don’t you think that’s too private? Call Jongin yourself and ask him where they are!”

Losing his temper, Kris yelled “Stop playing games, Chanyeol! You’re only protecting that silly little pup! He can never be yours now that you swore to be loyal to me and to this pack. He should be better off dead. Just give me your goddamn phone!”

Without even trying to restrain himself, Chanyeol transformed into his beast self. He’s ready to attack Kris now, he’s ready to fight for Baekhyun if not until Tao’s voice called all of their attention.

“No need to fight. I know where they are!” Tao said as he was catching his breath from running, his hands resting on his knees.

Kris smirked, Tao being late was not punishable at all. “Tell me where they are.”

Before Tao could answer, Kris went to the place on the floor where Chanyeol’s phone dropped as he transformed into a werewolf.

“Redwoods Camping Site. That’s where they’re hiding.” Tao informed.

The vicious leader of their pack let out a small yet menacing laugh, and with one swift but strong stance, he threw Chanyeol’s phone down the rooftop, its parts crashing as gravity pulled it down the concrete street.

He looked at Chanyeol and just said, “Sorry, but I’ll just replace that after our mission. You can’t warn the pup and his pack of our plans.”

Chen asked, “What’s your plan, then?”

Kris looked up at the now showing full moon.

“We’re going to attack them. Tonight.”

 

 

Lu Han, his friends, Kwon Yuri and her workers are all gathered around the large bonfire. The blind student can’t see how the flames danced with the embers as the chilling evening wind gave them music, but he can feel the warmth of the burning ashes, and for him it was something that felt good; something that reminded him that everything will be fine and that he’s alive.

The night started as everyone gobbled up all of the food that were prepared, the barbeques, kebabs and smores all swept away as if a storm just passed. Who could blame them? A day full of exhausting yet fun activities requires a good appetite.

After they were finished with their food, and the owner and her workers decided to set-up the tents where the boys will be sleeping tonight, Lu Han and his friends were left sitting around the bonfire.

“Happy eighteenth birthday, Lu Han!” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo greeted, and then started singing the too familiar celebratory chant. The night was filled with all of their singing voices, echoed by the walls of the mountains.

Lu Han smiled after they were finished singing, “Tomorrow’s my birthday, but thanks nonetheless.”

“I’m so sorry we were not able to bake a cake. Ms. Yuri’s kitchen had an oven but we don’t have eggs. It will be too burdensome for the workers if we’ll ask them to buy a tray at the nearest store.” Kyungsoo explained.

Lu Han looked his way and said, “Don’t worry. It’s alright even if I don’t have a cake. The food was awesome!”

Everyone mentioned the best friends’ efforts in preparing their grilled dinner. They also started giving their gifts to the blind student who was really not expecting anything for his birthday.

Suho reached for his wallet inside his pockets and got a piece of golden paper. He gave it to Lu Han, who felt the smoothness of the surface.

“That’s a gift certificate from the restaurant where we took you after your ballet performance. I know you like the food there. You can also bring a date if you want.” Suho joked, which made Lu Han blush as he was thanking him.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had combined their efforts for their dear friend’s gift. “We really don’t know how to knit, but I think we did a pretty good job.”

They both handed the blind student a sweater and a scarf, which they both made. Lu Han smiled at the softness of the knitted fabric. “Really? Thanks a lot, guys!”

“We know that winter’s far, but we also know that you easily get cold, so yeah…” Kyungsoo said.

Lay stood up and ran towards his bag inside the cabin. He had retrieved his guitar and immediately went back to where they were seated. “I don’t have anything material to give to you Lu Han, but I prepared a song. I call it ‘Moonlight’. I hope you enjoy.”

Yeah, stop, stop. Geu nalgaega jeojeuni
Oh oh, hu~ stop, stop.

Gipeojin haru teum sai neoneun joyonghi dagawa
Eodumeul geodeonaego naui jameul kkaewo
Geurigon meoreojyeo yeollin changmun jeo neomeoro

Tto gireul irheonna, neon, neon, neon.
Bamgonggiga ajik chagawo ireona
So, baby, hold on neol honja dugiga
Nan geokjeongi dwae georil dugo neoui dwireul ttaraga

Neon ssodajineun dalbiche syawo
Geu hwangholhan pyojeongeun bon jeogi eobseo
Geurimcheoreom meomchun nega boyeo
Geu siseon kkeuten

Daheul suga eomneun angil sudo eomneun got
Sumyeon wie bichin geon geu sarami aniya
Irwojil su eomneun seulpeun neoui story
Gakkawojilsurok deo apajil teni
Geu sarangmaneun… Stop, stop, stop, stop, yeah
Geu sarangmaneun… Stop, stop, stop, stop, yeah
Ireoke naega neol aetage bulleo
Dagagaji ma, babe, geu nalgaega jeojeuni



Everyone, especially the blind student, found Lay’s composition very mesmerizing. Though the song was somehow sad, Lu Han still appreciated it.

“Thanks for your effort, Lay. It was such a nice song.” Lu Han said, while thinking that the song actually fits his situation right now.

Sehun and Kai were the only one left with their gifts for Lu Han.

The blind student realized this, and expected another argument as to who should go first, but he was quite surprised that there was none. Sehun stood up and got his present.

“Baekhyun required me to buy a gift. I thought you’d want bubble tea, but I always gave you bubble tea. So here…” Sehun said in a fast, shy manner.

Lu Han smiled at Sehun’s awkwardness, but Kai smirked for he sensed that Sehun had himself thinking hard over what gift he should give Lu Han.

The blind student slightly gasped upon realizing what he was holding. “A piano tuning kit? This is expensive! I can’t accept this!”

Sehun just scratched the back of his head, kind of predicting the same reaction from Lu Han even before he gave him his present. “No one in here will use that, so just accept it and thank me, blindie.”

He has a point, and somehow everyone smiled upon hearing what Sehun just blurted out.

“Really, thank you so much, Sehun. This will really be useful for my lessons.” Lu Han reached for Sehun’s hand and smiled at the unfamiliar balminess.

One particular side of Kai’s mind, the competitive one, tells him that Sehun is a lot better than him in picking gifts; but the other side, the compassionate one, tells him that even though his gift will be uncanny for everyone to see, he’s sure that the blind student will highly appreciate his gift.

He then stood up and started unlacing Lu Han’s sneakers. This startled the blind student, “Hey what are you doing?”

Kai just kept his voice at a volume where he and Lu Han can only hear, while the others were also perplexed as to what Kai’s present maybe. “I’m giving you my gift. Please just cooperate.”

Even though he’s not sure, Lu Han obliged. Besides, Kai’s gentle as he was taking off his shoes.

Lu Han was surprised when he felt Kai slipping another pair of shoes in his feet. The smooth foamy feeling of the thin fabric was relaxing…magical…as if he’s that protagonist in a fairy tale with a glass one instead.

“Oooh Cinderella!” Baekhyun teased, and made everyone laugh.

“What is it?” Lu Han asked.

Kai looked up to Lu Han’s face and smiled as he saw the wonder in the blind student’s marvelling eyes. “They’re ballet shoes. I promise you I wouldn’t let you fall, right?

That simple line coming from Kai’s lips – his promising words – made Lu Han remember. As tears were starting to form in his eyes, he instantly embraced Kai in an unexpected hug. He whispered, “Thank you…for the shoes…and for always keeping your promises.”

Seeing the tight grip of Lu Han’s arms on Kai’s lean body was enough for Sehun to feel a pang in his mind and a sting in his eyes. Though he wants to – really wants to – stand up and pull away Kai from Lu Han and punch the living hell out of him, he decided not to. He doesn’t want Lu Han to be upset with him anymore. For now, he’ll just be satisfied with the touch of Lu Han still remaining in his right hand, for he knows that there will come a time that it will be more; it will be him, instead of Kai, in Lu Han’s arms.

 

 

 

The small celebration around the bonfire ended after a lot of stories, horror stories from Baekhyun to be exact, were shared. After Kwon Yuri and her workers put out the fire which gave them blazing warmth for the night, she then ordered the boys to go to sleep in their respective tents.

“Okay, guys. I think that’s enough for tonight. We had set up four tents, each for two people. I want you city boys to experience what it’s like to sleep underneath the trees, your back laying comfortable against the ground. Since you were seven in your group, unluckily, one will be sleeping along for tonight. So who’s willing to be that brave soldier?” the camp site owner joyfully asked.

Sehun raised his hand for he’s quite sure that no one wants to sleep with him, in fact if not for Lu Han he would not be here. Suho and Lay will be sleeping together, same goes for Kyungsoo and Baekhyun who are inseparable. Kai would not let him take away Lu Han, so he’ll man up and so he decided to be mature enough to just let it all go. He’s tired after all, but this whole tent thing would not end everything.

“Okay! All set! Have a good night sleep, boys. Another day will start tomorrow. Sleep tight!” Kwon Yuri said.

She then started walking away, but she stopped on her tracks and turned around. “Happy eighteenth birthday, Lu Han!”

Lu Han smiled at the ever kind composure of the lady, “Thanks, Ms. Yuri! Thanks for the bonfire, and thanks for everything.”

“I hope those eighteen years of existence had prepared you for everything you’ll face…”

The blind student found it odd. Now he understood why Kyungsoo and Baekhyun found her weird. Still, he nodded and smiled as he waved her good night.

 

 

 

Cricketing insects, tired snores, rustling leaves: these were the sounds of the forest night that keeps Lu Han wide awake, not to mention his own heavy breathing matching Kai’s. They were lying not so close to one another, the blind student once again building another wall between them, not because he’s still pissed off, but because he’s too afraid of what might happen if the distance between them will be close enough for them to breathe in each other.

Both one of them could not sleep, and Kai’s sudden movement jolted Lu Han as well.

“I can’t sleep.” Lu Han whispered.

Kai looked at him and said, “I can’t sleep as well.”

They were just there, sitting, taking in the silence; until Kai held Lu Han’s hand.

Lu Han, who thinks that he grew comfortable with Kai’s touch, was surprised at the sudden contact.

“I know I’ve dragged you to unknown places before. Can you trust me with this one?” Kai asked.

A puzzling look can be seen on Lu Han’s face, for both of them were unfamiliar of the place, but still he nodded his head. He’s sure that Kai will keep him safe, just like what he promised.

After getting Lu Han’s permission, Kai carefully ped their tent and helped Lu Han out. Lu Han was also careful of his movements; he does not want to wake the others up, as his bare feet stepped on the tickling and now moist grass.

“Where are we going?”

“I don’t know. We’ll just take a walk.”

And that’s what they did. Kai lead the way, calculating his steps so that he’ll remember where their original location was. It’s not a problem for him actually, for his eyes are well-adjusted in the dark and his sense of smell is undisputed.

Lu Han was feeling the grass on his feet as they walk; the warmth of Kai’s hands as he holds it, until they stopped.

“Why did we stop?” Lu Han asked, still keeping his voice hushed even if no one could hear them now, except for the nocturnal neighbours in the forest.

“I’ll just get something for you.” Kai’s warmth left him, but this did not bother Lu Han anymore, for he learned to trust that Kai won’t leave him there.

The stars were perfect tonight, as if each tiny bit of sparkle is gazing down on them. The full moon was casting an enchanting glow as its large circumference is illuminating.

Within a matter of minutes, Lu Han felt something light being put in his hair. He asked, “What is this?”

He reached for his head and realized that they were twigs intertwined with flowers. He smiled.

Kai scratched his nape, “I know it’s too girly, but I saw these dandelions on our way to the cabin from our hike, and I thought I’ll make you a flower crown. A classmate of mine taught me how…so…”

Kai was not able to finish his sentence as he felt Lu Han’s earnest fond lips on his, sealing it in an unsure yet sweet kiss. The dancer was surprised for he was not expecting that from the blind student. As their lips were locked, Kai felt Lu Han’s hand on his chest, as if feeling his heartbeat. He then found his hands reaching for the back of Lu Han’s neck, pulling him in gently for a deeper kiss. While Lu Han’s hand touched his arm, his other hand climbed up to the blind student’s small back, supporting his balance. They were seizing this moment as they kiss passionately, with no one to witness but the old oak trees and the full moon shining from above.

Their ache for each other’s tender touch lasted for minutes. As they pull away from the kiss, Kai looked intensely into Lu Han’s blank eyes. Though they were deep and hollow and unseeing, Kai could clearly grasp the message that Lu Han’s eyes tell him.

He then reached for a pod from the flower crown sitting on Lu Han’s head. “You didn’t get a chance to make a wish for your birthday. Here…”

Lu Han reached for it, his lips still feeling the vibrations that Kai’s plump one had left, smiling. He then closed his eyes, and afterwards blew the pod as its tiny mittens flew in accordance with the wind blowing north.

Kai reached for Lu Han’s hands once again and put it in his broad shoulders. He also leaned his forehead against Lu Han’s forehead, the two of them once again breathing each other. “Step on my feet.”

“What?” Lu Han asked as he felt Kai’s warm breath.

“We’ll dance.”

Lu Han wants to say that he doesn’t know how to dance, but he remembered that Kai is the only song that can make him do wonders with his movements. He then decided to follow him as he gently stepped on each of Kai’s feet.

The two of them started to sway, accompanied by an unheard melody, foreheads still leaning into one another, breaths still giving the same effect.

 

 

 

“What did you wish for?”

 

 

 

“That’s a secret for me to keep.”

 

 

 

“I love you, Lu Han.”

 

 

 

“You’re the love of my life, Kai.”