Chapter 22

WOLF

That night, Lu Han was expecting a nightmare: him standing once again in the middle of the rooftop area just like a little candle with its light dancing amidst the gloomy darkness. He’s alone, and just like what had happened, he was attacked by an unknown beast. But the supposedly excruciating pain that his hand endured as those canines punctured the soft skin was lifted by something, or rather someone, comforting.

Kai’s usually strong arms wrapped around him like a gentle harness; his skin on the other’s skin was a proof that this is not a nightmare, but rather a dream – a wonderful one. Yet Kai’s warm breath, the minty scent that whiffs with it, tells him otherwise. This is not a dream for he is awake. This is real.

The heaving of his broad chest as he inhales and exhales seems like a patterned beat that they were dancing; only that their stage is Lu Han’s bed, and they were just lying there. How the blind student wished he could see Kai’s face as he sleeps, decoding what he was dreaming of by analysing the sudden involuntary movements of his eyelids. How he longed to see this utter perfection, now just a few inches from him, hitherto everything seems surreal.

Lu Han’s tousled bed hair touches Kai’s chin, making him cautious of his movements to not wake him up. His head perfectly fits into the space provided by Kai’s arms, wondering if maybe the arteries there were cramped up due to his weight. His uninjured hand flawlessly lay upon Kai’s chest, feeling his every heartbeat, telling him he’s alive. How long have I been awake?

After a few minutes of Lu Han admiring this unseen beauty, the sunlight coming from the room’s window illuminated Kai’s face, matching his complexion and giving it a bronzy tinge of the morning.

“Good morning, sunshine.” Kai said after he gave a well-deserved yawn.

Sunshine.

No one had ever called him that before.

Lu Han smiled, and gently snuggled closer to Kai, his ears now at a minimal proximity to the other’s chest. He can clearly hear the rhythm of Kai’s heartbeat, and it’s too amusing to assume and believe that his heart is beating for him. Only him.

“Did you sleep well?” Lu Han asked, while his fingers unconsciously laces tiny insignificant circles at the cottony fabric of Kai’s shirt.

It was Kai’s turn to smile as he was approving of Lu Han’s exquisiteness.

He decided to not answer the blind student’s question for they both know that the answer is clear. In the arms of one another, Kai and Lu Han slept soundly and safe.

Kai tried to fix the rumpled hair catching over Lu Han’s eyes, and then planted a soft sweet kiss on his forehead.

Lu Han was surprised of the sudden feeling of Kai’s fond lips on his skin, and the tingling sensation that comes with it.

“What was that for?”

Kai shook his head. Not because of something he disapproves, but because of something he regrets. He regrets that the world could not see this magnificence lying with him, wrapped in one piece around his arms, and this same beauty could not admire the splendour of the world around him due to his inability to see.

Even though Lu Han is unmindful of the loveliness that he radiates in his very presence, Kai will make sure that he’ll be the one to make him feel special. Safe.

“Nothing.”

 

 

 

Kai already prepared himself and his things to go back to Chunnyeon Arts Academy, but the early bird was caught by the ever hospitable owner of the orphanage, Ms. Park.

“Good morning, Kai.” Ms. Park greeted gleefully as she prepares the dining table which was full of food, just like the other night, but this time lavish of breakfast meals.

Kai bowed politely to the elder and greeted back. Lu Han, who was just approaching the dining area with some of the children whom he helped with their morning rituals, smiled upon hearing this.

“You should not leave this house on an empty stomach. Come, everybody! Breakfast time!” Ms. Park coerced.

The student just scratched his head. How can he refuse this kind lady who had let him stay overnight, even though he was pretty sure that he should have gone through last night safely back to the school? Kai sat beside Lu Han, and within minutes everyone, the volunteers and the children alike, were all eating at the gigantic and seemingly endless wooden dining table.

Just as everyone is finished, Ms. Park called the blind orphan’s attention.

“I think you had worked hard enough in your studies. You need a break.” Ms. Park smiled across the table.

Lu Han was surprised, as much as Kai was puzzled. “But… I’m already on a break, right?”

Ms. Park laughed lightly, “I know. But what do you think about a three-day camp at the mountains? I just availed seven coupons the other day. I thought I’d give it to you as a gift.”

Lu Han almost choked on the egg that he was chewing at the moment. After he gulped on his orange juice, he courteously declined her offer.

“I feel grateful, Ms. Park, but I think I can’t accept your offer.”

Ms. Park was surprised, “And why not?”

“That’s just too much of your kindness, Ms. Park. You’ve done enough to help me out in every best way you can, and I appreciate that. I think it will be best if you’ll just accompany the children to the mountains instead of me.”

The eyes of the elder almost teared up upon hearing these words from the blind orphan. She cannot believe how Lu Han can be so selfless despite his inability. She felt proud that she was able to take care of this fine young man and moulded him into such greatness.

“But I really thought of you when I bought the tickets. You deserve it, Lu Han. You’ll be turning eighteen soon, and that’s my birthday gift for you.” Ms. Park said.

Lu Han smiled at Ms. Park’s kind-heartedness. He himself almost forgot his upcoming birthday. “Thank you, Ms. Park. But isn’t seven tickets too many?”

“No worries. I called Baekhyun last night and informed him of this camp. He said he’ll invite your friends, plus Kai, to the mountains. I’m sure they’re all done for their exams.  Isn’t that exciting?” Ms. Park enthusiastically announced and smiled at the dumb-founded Kai who was still adjusting to the elder’s astonishing cordiality.

Despite of all this suddenness, Lu Han found himself nodding and agreeing to Ms. Park and Baekhyun’s vacation plans.

As much as he felt too grateful of all the attention that he gets from the orphanage owner, a feeling of exhilaration bubbles inside Lu Han.

 

 

After a few hours, a van arrived in front of the orphanage. The children playing in the playground immediately surrounded it; this building never had any visitors in the past few months.

The door of the van swung open and a smiling Baekhyun went out. After he patted some of the children’s head, he called for his friend, who instantaneously opened the door of the front porch.

“You’re here already?” Lu Han was astonished.

Baekhyun ran and hugged his roommate, “Yeah! Aren’t you excited? A three-day camp in the mountains! And we’ll get to celebrate your birthday there, too.”

Kai, who was also surprised by the sudden turn of events, nonetheless smiled upon looking at the other students who were unloading from the van.

“How’s your hand, Lu Han?” Suho asked upon approaching his friends.

Lu Han smiled upon hearing the worried voice, “It’s better.”

The blind student felt gentle arms wrap around him, “Even though it’s been just a few days, I miss you, Lu Han.”

It was Kyungsoo, and Lu Han felt the same way too. Being far from Chunnyeon Arts Academy and his friends would have taken a stoll on Lu Han if it weren’t for this camp at the mountains planned by Ms. Park and Baekhyun.

“Yah! I’m getting jealous.” Baekhyun pouted as he joked, which made everyone laugh.

“Who’s driving the van?” asked Kai.

He looked at the driver’s seat and there was a waving Lay, all smiles as he parked the car.

“Hey, blindie.” A hand ruffled Lu Han’s hair, which surprised the blind student upon hearing that familiar voice.

Kai, who was standing behind Lu Han, was also staggered. “What is he doing here?”

Everyone was shocked at the sudden seriousness in Kai’s tone, though it is an unspoken fact that the two were contenders since then. Sehun, on the other hand, preferred not to start an argument as to give respect to the volunteers and Ms. Park who were preparing some snacks for the new visitors.

“He’s also my friend.” Lu Han said softly, though he’s not sure if his voice showed how disappointed he was of Kai’s impulsive response.

For a short while, everyone fell silent. The tautness was rising like a smoke from a cigarette.

Baekhyun decided to break the ice, “Ms. Park said I can invite four people, so I invited Kyungsoo, Suho and Lay. I pondered upon the last available coupon and thought of Sehun. You know, I can’t ask the other EXO members to come because…”

His usually impeccable tongue was metaphorically cut as he realized the real reason why he didn’t include the other members in this trip.

“Because what?” Lu Han asked curiously, believing that all of his friends were already done taking their respective exams.

Lay, who had overheard the conversation, had taken the responsibility to lift the inquisitiveness away off the blind student’s thoughts. “Because they still have their exams. That’s why Sehun was invited.”

Sehun, who was not the quiet type of guy, could not stand all of this nosiness upon his presence. “You know, I can walk back to the school without any care. You just have to say the word and I’ll be gone from this trip.”

He was speaking to no one in particular, but his eyes were fixed on Kai, who did not break his gaze to his rival. This staring battle was unknown to no one but the blind student.

To escape the growing tension, Sehun decided to walk back into the van and retrieve his things, ready to go back to the school. But Lu Han was quick to hold him tightly by the wrist.

“No. I want you to join us. Baekhyun made the right decision. You’re also my friend after all.”

Seeing Lu Han’s uninjured hand holding onto Sehun’s wrist like that tugged something at Kai’s chest. Although the heaviness was too much, he decided not to show it to his friends, not that Sehun is around.

“That’s enough, boys. Come in here for a little snack before your trip!” Ms. Park called, which everyone was thankful for.

After chewing off some biscuits and sipping tea, matched with the advices and instructions from Ms. Park who can’t help but show her worry despite of the excitement she feels for the boys, EXO, Lu Han and Sehun left the orphanage to go to the mountains.

As they were waving goodbyes to the people from the orphanage, Lay went to their van and revved up the engine for a good start.

Lu Han was not yet done with expressing his appreciation to Ms. Park and all her efforts. Kai, who had felt something odd, was barely listening to the owner’s commands on how he should take care and protect the blind student on the trip just like what a mother would do to secure her child’s safety.

Though Kai’s ears were lent to Ms. Park as he was taking notes of everything she says at the back of his mind, his eyes trailed off to his rival who was there looking at the orphanage.

As much as he tried to decode what was lingering in Sehun’s stare at the big house, he can’t plumb the way this kid was scrunching his eyebrows, as if he was remembering something, trying to grasp the fragmented memory from the depths of his mind, and failing to do so.

At that moment, he pitied seeing him in this resemblance. It was a first time that he felt that way towards Sehun.

“You alright?” Kai tapped Sehun’s shoulder, which surprised him. The younger regained from his gaze at the orphanage , from Ms. Park and all the children in the orphanage, from all this…familiarity.

Sehun just nodded, and dumbfoundedly answered, “I think…I just…I just recalled something.”

It was now Kai’s turn to scrunch his forehead in confusion. As far as he knows, it is their first time in this place, except for Lu Han.

“Why do you care?!” Sehun snickered when he realized Kai was jumbled with what he just retorted. With folded arms on his chest, he succumbed to the vehicle.

Kai just scratched his head, quite thankful that Sehun was back in his original bratty self, and followed him inside the van.

All of the students were already inside the van except for the blind one who gave Ms. Park and the children one last hug before he decided to walk by himself, following the sound of the throttling machine.

“C’mon, Lu Han!” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo yelled in unison.

Upon hearing his friends’ voices, he ran towards the waiting door. Since he has his other hand injured, Kai and Sehun offered their hands to help Lu Han aboard the van, at exactly the same time. The tension that everyone thought was left at the front porch of the building is now rising once again.

Lu Han’s instincts, and the fact that he knows these two very well, told him of the awaiting situation. Feeling like he was between two grinding mountains, he reached to his right without even knowing as to whose hand was it.

“Let’s go, blindie.

 

 

 

During the whole trip, Kai was convincing himself that Lu Han’s inability to see is the reason he chose Sehun’s hand instead of his. There’s no other reason.

Nonetheless, something’s telling him that Lu Han really meant that small act, that he really wanted Sehun to help him up the van instead of him.

The three of them were literally in an awkward position, thanks to the other members who had failed to give a thought about their sitting positions inside the van. Suho was in the passenger’s seat, fumbling on Lay’s music player connected to the stereo. Together with all of their things at the back seat, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were busy singing to the songs that Suho chose. That left Lu Han sitting in between Kai and Sehun at the middle seats of the vehicle.

Neither of the three spoke the entire trip, and this silence did not even bother anyone inside the car.

Sehun was staring outside the tinted car window, still deep in his thoughts. He was trying his best to pick up the acquaintance of almost everyone and everything in the orphanage, but his memories were like trees in the forests overshadowed by immensely deep thickening fog.

Kai was also deep in his own speculations. Lu Han’s gesture a while ago still bothered him. He tried of thinking at other things like focusing on the harmonies that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were belting at their back, but he’s failing. He feels ashamed of how he acted towards Sehun a while ago in the front porch, which he concluded was the main reason that Lu Han chose to act unexpectedly as well. He can’t even look straight at Lu Han who was just beside him, their arms even brushing against one another everytime the wheels of the vehicle revved against a bump on the road.

On the other hand, Lu Han was just tired to think about anything at all. He was quite thankful about the side effects of the drug for his injured hand that he took before the trip; for he knew that he quite stirred the tension between Kai and Sehun unintentionally. He did not want to flatter Sehun too much as much as he did not want to be disappointed of Kai’s actions. He just wanted to sleep all of these thoughts away.

 

 

The blind student was quite thankful that he need not to choose between the two shoulders waiting for his head to lie on as he doze off to slumber after Kyungsoo offered him a neck pillow.

 

“Thanks.”

 

This is good for now. Everything will be better.

 

 

A/N: I'm so sorry for the late update! I've been quite busy since the month of May started. I had a lot of things to do, like hosting debut parties for my college friends and having my own birthday celebration last May 17. I know we EXO stans had been affected by the issue regarding Kris, and tbh, I was also deeply affected even though he's not my bias. He's still our galaxy no matter what happens, and I felt kinda guilty that he was the "bad" guy in my story (which even made me think that I should stop writing this story as an act of respect). But I think that as a writer, I should finish whatever I had started, and decided to continue writing this story for there are many of you who are anticipating for updates. No matter what happens in my story, no matter how "bad" the things that Kris' character on my story will do, no matter whatever happens to him in real life, let's keep in mind that he's still a man who deserves our undying support and unconditional love. WE ARE ONE! :">