Chapter 15

WOLF

The intensity of the applause from the audience filled the auditorium in resemblance of when all of their spectating eyes witnessed a blind student play behind the piano for the first time. Lu Han never fails to do wonders in stage. He proved another entity and broke down barriers in the complicated and sometimes excruciating realm of performance. He can dance; a blind student in Chunnyeon can dance, as opposed to what he and other people thought as well.

As the red and golden velvet curtains of the stage closed and covered the two dancers inside: one who is called the “living dance machine” and the other considered as “Chunnyeon’s blind prodigy”, Lu Han can’t control the overwhelming expansion of feelings inside his compact chest. The bursting intensity of everything exploded as he felt tears running down his eyes and staining the very light make-up in his face; he almost cried a while ago in dance practice because of his injury and fear of his dreams shattering down, he just danced and proved to everyone that he can definitely do ballet, he tried his best to hide his cringing face resulting from his pas de chats, Kai’s unexpected revision of the choreography, Kai’s lips touching his bare neck, Kai’s lips leaving a tingling sensation in a particular area of his skin….Kai.

As Kai left their ending position, he noticed Lu Han crying and asked, “Wh-Why are you crying?”

Lu Han just bowed his head, making the tears in his eyes spill more, and didn’t answer.

“Is it the kiss?” Kai sensed it.

Lu Han felt his cheeks flush, for Kai was somehow right. He’s always right about him. It seems like Kai knows him so well, reads him so well, even if they just met and knew one another for a very short span of time. Lu Han thought it was unfair; he seems like a clear glass to Kai that he can just see through, but Kai to him seems like a thick book of a different language – so foreign yet fascinating.

Since he didn’t get any response, and worry was eating his conscience up, Kai decided to lift Lu Han’s face upward, so that he’s looking at him straight to the eyes. He cautiously held Lu Han’s chin with his fingers, and found that the skin there was so soft. Everything about Lu Han seems to be soft, but he definitely has a very strong passion and spirit, that Kai had never seen in anyone before. He also noticed the tiny scar by the bottom of his lower lip, and wondered how Lu Han got it.

But that was not the question to be asked right now. He can ask Lu Han some other time. Instead, he repeated, “Lu Han, look at me. Why are you crying?”

With Kai’s soft caressing voice, Lu Han answered honestly, “I don’t know why I’m crying. Maybe I’m just…happy.

Kai smiled, “You should smile or laugh when you’re happy. That will suit you more.” Kai generously wiped the tears away from Lu Han’s face with the back of his hand, and added “Baekhyun will surely be mad if he sees your eyeliner ruined!”

Lu Han chuckled, and Kai smiled when he heard that joyous laugh. “That’s it. I don’t like seeing you in tears...

“Why?” Lu Han asked, not sure if he should keep the smile plastered on his face or not. Kai might think he’s kidding, but he really wants to know why.

Kai was taken aback by Lu Han’s sudden question, just like how the latter was probably surprised of his unexpected kiss. He really can’t find the right words to use, but the reason was clear to him – for now, or so he thinks. Kai just looked at Lu Han’s blank eyes and searched for courage. With Lu Han, Kai seems to be a different person. One who is not a monster…one who is willing to sacrifice everything.

“Never mind. You don’t need to answer.” Lu Han smiled instead, also sensing that maybe Kai found the question awkward.

After a short period of silence, Kai informed Lu Han, “EXO’s waiting at the back stage. Would you like to go there?”

Lu Han nodded after remembering Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s cheers from a while ago.

Kai held him by the hands, and Lu Han reminisced that already familiar feeling of his touch, like that first time back in the abandoned museum. He let Kai guide him through the multitude of people until they reached the back room of the auditorium. However, they let go of one another as Kyungsoo and Baekhyun approached Lu Han and started their rants about what they had just watched. Other EXO members also congratulated Lu Han, and in no time the blind student is surrounded by majority of them. All of them seem to forget that the whole concept of the performance revolves around them with an unnerving atmosphere.

Baekhyun started as he pinched Lu Han’s cheeks until it turned red, not giving any attention on the tiny streaks of black around Lu Han’s eyes, “You are such a cute deer back there!”

“I never thought that you’ll do that well!” Kyungsoo added.

Lay informed them and eventually asked the blind student, “He’ll really do well. I heard Kai focused on dance practicing with him. Am I right?”

Following Lay’s voice, Lu Han nodded at his direction.

“Congratulations, Lu Han!” Xiumin, Chanyeol, Chen and Tao said almost in unison, their different voices making an unusual harmony which made everyone in the back stage laugh.

“I think we should all treat Lu Han for this! Are you all okay with that?” Suho proposed, to which everyone agreed to.

Amidst the boisterous air as all of them exited the room, two figures were left standing by the door.

Kris looked up the night sky and stared at the heavenly body glooming over everything, “It is full moon this night. I’m right.”

Kai did the same and admired the beauty of the full moon, and sarcastically said, “We all know when the moon will shine the brightest. It’s nothing to be proud of.”

“I know. This night marks the start.” Kris said, his hands inside the pocket of his jeans.

Kai smirked. “This night will change everything.”

Kris offered his hand for a shake, “We had a deal. I hope you follow that one rule. The first to catch the ‘deer of the dawn’ leads the whole pack.”

Kai shook it firmly and added, “You know how I play games, Kris. I hope you do, too.”

Both of them kept the formality of their conversation even if they’re each other’s sole competitor, and Kris ended it with, “The Hunt starts now…”

Both of them caught up with the others as Tao called them and asked why they’re walking slowly. Xiumin also gave them a call, reasoning that he’s nothing but hungry for tonight, which caused another laughter in the group. Even if Lu Han is between Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, Kai made it sure that he’s in a good distance from him, ready to be there whenever something bad happens to the blind student. He also kept an eye on Kris, who had his arms around Tao and Lay. He’s sure that Kris had no idea that the deer of the dawn is with them, but he knows Kris so well. He’ll do his best to hunt the poor prey. In contrary to that, Kai will do everything to protect Lu Han, even if it’s their survival at stake. Anyone can lead their pack, even Kris. But no one can ever touch and harm Lu Han, even if he’s the divine deer of the dawn. Kai won’t permit it.

As the group was leaving the gates of Chunnyeon Arts Academy, the natural resonances of the night were broken as a familiar voice shouted Kai’s name. This made all of them turn their heads at the direction of the voice, but no one needs to tell the blind student who it was for he already became familiar with that vocal sound already. It was none other than Oh Sehun.

The next scenes flashed like a lightning in front of everyone. In no time, Sehun sprinted towards Kai and punched him by the jaw with all the might that he can muster. Lu Han was not sure if he heard a bone crack, but he’s sure that Kai is injured severely and Sehun is in rage. As told by his instincts, even with his blurry vision resulting from the impact of Sehun’s fist, Kai charged at Sehun and threatened to immense in the brawl. It was a good thing that Lay and Kris were on their feet to drag Kai back, and Chanyeol and Chen to keep Sehun from nearing the other. The others, especially Lu Han, were in utter shock.

“I warned you, Kai! I knew it! You’ll change my masterpiece!” Sehun bawled and struggled against the grasps of Chen and Chanyeol on him.

Kai wiped the blood pouring from an open wound by the side of his mouth, and countered “I did it for Lu Han! We both know that he’s injured, yet you didn’t cancel out that pas de chat in his part. Now tell me, who’s the one to blame?!”

Sehun chuckled, getting free from Chen and Chanyeol while arranging his crumpled top, “Is that really the reason behind your alteration of the dance? Or is there something more? Don’t fool me, Kai.”

“If you can only see the pain that Lu Han was trying to hide in front of everybody, I bet that you’ll also do the same.” Kai said sternly as he stared back at Sehun’s menacing eyes.

Sehun clicked his tongue, a mannerism of his whenever he thinks that someone is lying, “It’s the kiss, right?”

Same question which will just be left unanswered…

Silence gloomed all of them. Kai made it seem like he did bite Lu Han a while ago, but now it was revealed that it was really a kiss. Kai breathed heavily, not flouting his stare at Sehun. Everyone was waiting for Kai’s defense, a logical reason besides the blind student’s ankle injury on why he kissed Lu Han as their act ended, but it was Sehun’s voice that once again broke the thick ice.

“You can kiss Lu Han all you want, but that doesn’t give you the right to ruin my masterwork.” Sehun said calmly as he turned his back and walked away from the group.

 

 

After the heated confrontation between Sehun and Kai, EXO and Lu Han reached their destination without anyone speaking a single word. It seems like everyone is in their own deep thoughts: Kris thinking about the Hunt and the deer of the dawn, without any idea that he’s within the same circle; the others pondering what Sehun and Kai had just tussled about; Kai discerning the real reason behind his actions of sudden affection towards the blind student; and Lu Han brooding over Sehun’s words.

It’s the kiss, right?

No, it can’t be the kiss. Kai didn’t change the course of the dance just for a kiss. Even if he’s like a puzzle to me, I know that he’s not shallow. Maybe Kai is right, he eliminated the fish dive due to my injured ankle. The audience liked it. They loved the ending, thinking that I, the deer of the dawn, was killed by the savage wolf. That’s it. Sehun’s just being impulsive since it’s his creation that was rehabilitated, and as an artist, that was like a slap in the face. Maybe that’s the reason. That’s right. That’s right. That’s right. That’s right…

“Yeah, right.” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he started talking to Baekhyun, filling in the silence over their table at this Italian-inspired café down the boulevard.

“Sehun is such a big brat!” Baekhyun agreed, looking at Kai’s wounded lips.

Xiumin insisted, “C’mon, guys! My stomach’s grumbling already!”

“It’s always grumbling.” Lay teased, earning a laugh from the other members, surprisingly including Kris.

Since it was Suho’s idea, he was the one to shoulder the expenses of their dinner. The other EXO members started chattering, leaving the scenario a while ago deep in the covers of the well-lighted city.

They had occupied two tables, which they pushed against one another, giving them a lot of space and making them able to sit side by side. It was such a great picture of a strong bond of friendship, without the hidden blots in the photo.

Lu Han was seated by the glass wall of the restaurant, slightly hearing the buzz of the late-night life of Seoul. He just stares at the glass, at nothingness, which reflects back his own image. Seated beside him were Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, who were busy chattering about Sehun “the brat”. Kai occupied the seat in front of the bind student, and just like him, he was also staring at the passing vehicles on the road. The only difference is that Kai sees, and Lu Han does not. Nevertheless, they are on the same page, they are inside the same wall separating them from the other people around the two turned-into-one tables, waiting for the food that Suho ordered, waiting for the other to speak and explain everything.

It was Lu Han who made the first move. He said in a soft but casual voice, making sure that the other’s attention will not be focused on him and Kai anymore. They’ve had enough, and he was already tired for the numerous courtesy for just a single night:

“How are you? I know you’re hurt.”

Lu Han waited for Kai’s response but got nothing as Kai palmed his face, as if that might hide the bruise in his face, as if Lu Han can see it. Yes, Sehun might have hurt him, but he thought that it will be better if he’ll be the one in pain instead of Lu Han.

“Tell me, Kai. And don’t you dare lie. Be honest.” Lu Han added, this time with a firmer voice.

A smile crept up Kai’s face, the pain by his bruised wound getting worse, but still he did. It was Lu Han after all; Lu Han and his supposed-to-be commanding gesture, yet his bubbly face fail him. Kai never used this word before, but Lu Han is endearing; not only for this night, but ever since he laid his eyes upon him.

Lu Han sensed it, “You’re smiling, aren’t you?”

Upon hearing this, Kai made a straight face, but failed as he chuckled at Lu Han’s wild guess.

“How come you know that I’m smiling?”

Lu Han also smiled, “I just know. Am I right?”

“Yeah.” Kai shrugged.

Again, they were silenced as the waiter served their dinner, the excitement of the famished people around the table heightened by the appetizing scent of the meal. Lu Han knew it was beef, even if he really can’t see it.

As a habit, Lu Han felt the coldness of the metal utensils served for them. He just finished feeling the fork, but as soon as he touched the knife, Kai hurriedly snatched it away from the blind student’s plate.

“Hey. That’s my knife!” Lu Han exclaimed, the other EXO members noticing this and finding Jongin’s gesture too childish. Nevertheless, they continued with their own businesses, to which Lu Han was thankful for.

“I’ll…I’ll just slice the beef for you.” Kai stammered.

Lu Han knitted his eyebrows at Kai’s fondness, “I can manage. You don’t need to do that.”

Lu Han tried to reach for the knife in Kai’s hands, but Kai was too careful and agile to keep it out of the other’s reach. In the end, Lu Han gave up with an “Okay, if you insist. But this will be the last time that you’ll treat me like a baby.”

Kai smiled at this, while he started to slice the beef in Lu Han’s plate into tiny and mouthful pieces. Behind this almost too cute gesture of kindness, Kai did it to prevent any commotion in the table. He himself experienced taking in the scent of Lu Han’s blood back in that fateful night in the abandoned museum, tasted it in addition. If ever Lu Han was wounded by the knife, all the members of their pack will be able to smell his blood, and experience that same sensation that he got, therefore revealing Lu Han’s true identity. Not only Kris will discover that he’s the “deer of the dawn”, but also the other wolves, and Kai’s not sure on how their actions towards it will be.

 

 

It was a few hours before midnight when they finished their dinner and decided to go to a nearby arcade. Lu Han felt delighted since it was his first time to go to an arcade with his friends. Although he can’t really see all of the buzzing lights coming from different game consoles, the party-resembling digital sounds of the machines are enough to fill Lu Han’s elation, added by the excitement that he can hear whenever his friends are either losing or winning in a match.

The others are still looking for a console to play into when Kai noticed their all-time favourite basketball machine game.

“You play basketball?” He asked Lu Han, who just shook his head.

“I can’t see, so what’s the point in playing?” Lu Han remarked sarcastically.

Kai furrowed his eyebrows, “That’s not a good reason. You can play the piano well even if you can’t see. Who knows? There might be a basketball player inside you.”

Lu Han laughed at this, “Don’t pester me, Kai. And I don’t want to play. If you want, you can go ahead. I’ll just wait for you to finish.”

Kai had an idea, “What if I teach you? I’m not that good, but I can shoot well.”

Lu Han thought about that approach. It’s something new. Kai is going to teach him a new thing again, just like how he taught him how to dance ballet. This Lu Han found thoughtful of someone he only knows by name, of someone so close yet so far, of someone willing to take him into different dimensions with every words and into different worlds with just a single touch.

As Kai went at the back of Lu Han and guided his hands in shooting the ball, Suho noticed them and went their way.

As Lu Han, with the help of Kai of course, shot a ball inside the ring, Suho exclaimed a “Wow! That was awesome!”

“It’s just luck. Kai’s the one who did that.” He said sheepishly, looking into Suho’s direction.

Suho shook his head and smiled kindly, “You’re the one who holds the ball, therefore you’re the one who shoot it.”

“I’m just a good teacher. Right, Lu Han?” Kai teasingly said to Suho, his hands unnoticeably still in the hands of the blind student.

Suho face palmed himself upon hearing Kai’s egotism, “If there’s someone who is good at basketball in this room, then it’s definitely Kris. Lu Han, you should let Kris teach you instead.”

Lu Han’s eyes brightened at this, imagining Kris shooting the ball even if he hadn’t seen one in his life, “Really?”

Kai found Lu Han’s interest on Kris playing basketball offensive, but he knows for sure that it’s more appropriate to keep a straight face. Am I jealous?

“Where is he, by the way?” Suho asked more of himself while scanning the room for the tall jock.

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him.” Lu Han teased, which made Suho chuckle a bit.

Kai tried to answer, “May be he’s just…

Looking for the “deer of the dawn”…

“…buying a drink or something.”

Suho pondered upon this. They had just filled themselves with a lot of food and drinks that he ordered in that restaurant. There’s no point in Kris looking for more food. Kris’ disappearance clicked something at the back of Suho’s analytical head.

On the other hand, if Kai was right, Kris is just wasting his time; for the “deer of the dawn” is just inside this arcade, safe in his arms. Kai won’t let anyone, Kris in particular, come near Lu Han.

“I’ll just…go to the comfort room.” Suho said, his usually bright angelic smile leaving a track in his face, as he sprinted towards the exit of the arcade.

But instead of heading to the comfort room, Suho proceeded and immersed himself in the full dusk of the night sky. He’s not just out for fresh air from the almost-nauseous vibrations of the arcade. He’s out to prove something right.

His pearly white skin complexion blends well in the night, as if flaunting his real identity in front of everyone; his being a son of the night. Inside their pack, Suho is not one to be considered neither the strongest nor the fastest member, yet he is the only wolf known in their line to have smooth and graceful stance, even better than the dancer Jongin. With every hurried step, Suho’s grace will never be under pressure.

He is now approaching the streets towards their usual hangout, the abandoned Museum of South Korean History. With many years of being in the city, despite their natural habitat being one in the mountain’s forests, the graceful wolf is now familiar with all the labyrinth and intersections. Suho decided that it will be best for him not to transform into his monster form, for there are still people around and minding their own businesses.

Suho had one person in mind as he was brisk walking along the path towards the museum. He convinced himself that he was all wrong, that his suspicions are false. Yet there is still a part in him that tells him to continue walking and unveil the truth, whatever….whoever it is.

How I wish I’m not right…This can’t be…This will be a chaos if ever I’m right.

As he was strolling through the quietest alleys where no one dares to pass through, especially in this late hour at night, since nothing but darkness can be seen, Suho’s not sure if he had seen something move through the darkness in his peripheral vision. With his beast instincts, he sniffed the air, and through his nostrils ran a somehow familiar scent. This he followed until he heard an ear-piercing shriek of terror that pierced the covering veils of the night.

His eyes enlarged in surprise as he ran towards the direction of the horrified voice of a girl pleading for her life.

Her scrunched up school uniform, Suho was not able to tell what school she was from, wrapped her petite body as tears roll down her petrified eyes. Above her crouched a wolf with a mane-like fleece, its yellow bloodshot eyes focused on his prey, sharp canine teeth baring and ready to bite every inch of her flesh and savour the taste of her appealing blood.

Just like the poor girl, Suho is nothing but a pathetic victim, too. Yes, his flesh and blood will not be devoured by the savage wolf, but his conscience will surely make him lie awake in his bed at night. He can’t find the courage to stop the slay that the girl was suffering: the scent of her blood splashing on the floor filled his nose, the tearing of her flesh as the wolf gobbled her limbs and chest with his sharp fangs shot a vivid picture in his mind, and her piteous screams for help unheard. It seems like after several years of living by the rule of not consuming human meat inside their pack, Suho’s too-human belief and lifestyle conflicted with his real nature and identity. Everything seems like an old tradition and practice to him, but seeing it after many years of abstaining from doing so, it also seems like a brand new and horrifying painting to him. He’s a victim, and a coward: coward for masking his real hunger for so many years now, and a coward for not helping the girl and stopping the wolf’s feast. With tears b his eyes and his chest tightening, Suho ran away from the murderous scene that he just witnessed.

 

 

This can’t be…

 

 

I was right all along.

 

 

 

 

 

Kris is the rogue wolf…He is the traitor of the pack.

 

 

 

A/N: I'm so sorry guys for updating this story very late. Same issues like the last one. Crappy Internet and time-consuming school works T.T Please be more understanding and patient, my dearest readers. Enjoy reading, though :)))