Chapter 21

WOLF

 

It can’t be…

 

Kris felt like he’s been fooled the whole time. The “deer of the dawn”, which the legend says that will give immortality to whomever devoured its heart, has always been with them. The puny and meek deer had been swarming safely all this time in the centre of a wolf pack on its verge of breaking down. Never did he know that Chunnyeon Arts Academy’s blind prodigy, Lu Han, is the mysterious creature that even their deceased ancestors failed to hunt. It never crossed his mind that the legendary being does not have its majestic branching antlers, gracefully prancing in the splendid greens of the never-ending forests; instead, it is human. It is Lu Han.

Sure, when they were still not under the pact of abstaining, when they were still allowed to kill and hunt humans as their food, Kris had been able to taste a lot of gore, but Lu Han’s blood tasted like nothing before. It cannot be described by the primary tastes that Kris’ tongue is familiar with, yet it still has that rusty palate that every creature’s blood possesses.

What surprised Kris is the surge of power that encased his whole monstrosity as the blind student’s blood touched his lips. Instead of the regenerating effect of any ordinary human blood on a werewolf, Lu Han’s blood seemed to curtail his beastliness. Kris had never experienced this on a hunt before. With the outlandish verve brought by the crimson fluid from the wound caused by his canines on Lu Han’s fragile hand, it was confirmed that this victim of his is none other than the “deer of the dawn”.

He is weakening; Kris could not take the heating sensation in his insides. It’s making his knees feeble he could barely take the fall from the rooftop and the whole scenario that he had escaped. The once ravish werewolf returned to its human form before anyone would even notice.

Since it was too dark and almost all of the students in the school are inside their own rooms studying for the upcoming preliminary exams for academic classes and a quarterly showcase for performance classes, the way towards Kris’ dorm room is clear. Even if he feels weak, Kris walked fast, careful for anyone might notice him.

“Kris?” a voice called.

It might have made him jolt up in surprise if the voice had not been too familiar. He turned around and looked at a surprised Tao.

“What happened to you?” Tao kept his voice low as he took off his school coat and wrapped it around Kris. It was his first time seeing him so scrawny and pale.

Kris scoffed, but he knows Tao too well. He won’t stop asking of he didn’t give an answer. “It’s a long story.”

This, Tao thought, would be a plausible answer especially from a person like Kris. He didn’t insist on digging up the “long story” and assisted the tall guy up his dorm room.

As they reached Kris’ door, Tao remarked “You look really weak.”

He was kind of expecting a scornful look from Kris, but Tao was surprised that Kris smirked calmly.

“I’ll win…”

Tao was puzzled as his eyebrows crunched in confusion, “What do you mean?”

Kris decided that he’ll not tell anyone of his discovery as of now. He needs a well-laid out plan on how he will avenge Kai and his disdained pride. He may not be able to kill Lu Han in the rooftop as he intended to be a distraction for his nemesis, who also happened to be the key to his immortality, but he will when the right time comes.

 

He found him, the “deer of the dawn”…

 

And he will kill him.

 

 

 

 

The scent invading Lu Han’s sense of smell tells him that he’s not in his and Baekhyun’s dorm room. It reeks of something intoxicating – not a foul smell – but something which whiffs a sense of cleanliness and peacefulness. He can’t see, but the pong around the room gives him an image of everything white: an image opposite of his everyday life living and seeing nothing but darkness.

Lu Han can also hear a whizzing sound by his left, just beside the bed where he’s lying. It’s a machine, he guessed. The numbing sound is almost relaxing.

His head weighs heavy but his body feels like a soft feather being anchored and held together by this bed. He opened his eyes, still unseeing, and squinted not because of the light but because of the extensive time that he has been asleep.

He was going to ask himself where he was, until a soft caressing voice whispered “Good morning.”

It was Kai.                                                                                                                            

Lu Han wants to answer back, but his throat was parched up due to his continuous hysterical crying last night. If not for the drug that has been injected to him by the doctor, he would not have stayed calm and would not have fallen asleep.

“How are you feeling?” Kai asked as he gently Lu Han’s bandaged hand, then proceeded to keep the strands of hair away from Lu Han’s eyes.

Despite the bubbling ache in his temples due to the residual effects of the drug, Lu Han forced a smile and said, “Better.”

The two of them fell silent for a while until a sleeping Baekhyun, who was leaning his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, awakens with a bright smile. Like an excited puppy, Baekhyun hurried towards Lu Han’s bed. His rushed actions jolted Chanyeol up as well.

“You’re finally awake! Are you alright? How’s your hand? Oh my God, I thought you’ll never wake up from that drug!” Baekhyun asked without even pausing.

Hearing his roommate all worried of his condition was appreciated by Lu Han. “I still can’t feel it. But I’m okay now, I guess.”

“The doctor said you need rest.” Chanyeol reminded.

Lu Han nodded. He thought that if he really wanted to recover fast, he would have to follow the doctor’s instructions, even if it means that he’ll not be able to attend his academic and performance classes for a few months, not to mention he’ll also not be able to play the piano which seems to be the only thing that ensures him of his future. It was saddening to think of the worst, but hope is carved in Lu Han’s heart and he won’t do anything but to hold onto it. Everything will be fine.

Sehun, who also slept inside the clinic to accompany Lu Han last night, was bewildered with all of this. He was quite surprised at how Lu Han appeared to be all serene after his near-death experience in the rooftop. Slightly infuriated of an unknown suspect, he stood up and walked towards the blind student’s bed. He inched closer to Lu Han’s face, ignoring the sceptical looks he got from the other three people inside the room.

“Do you have any idea what creature had attacked you last night?”

Hearing Sehun’s serious tone sent chills down Lu Han’s spine. The memory of his hostile fate in the rooftop last night once again haunted him. Staring blankly into space, he once again feels tears forming behind his eyes as the terror flashed through his recall. The sentiment of being alone – of being dead – brought upon by that creature’s evil hands are enough for Lu Han to feel the irresistible pain that he had suffered last night. His hands are uncontrollably shaking as he evoked the throbbing pain as those canines lacerated his skin, drawing blood and tearing flesh in its wake.

Kai held Lu Han’s shaking hands as he shot Sehun a glare. “This is not the right time to ask him such question.”

Kai’s radiant touch unfastened Lu Han from all of the trepidation that he had experienced in the rooftop. If not for him, he would have been the same Lu Han as last night, frantically shouting for help and frenziedly crying for his almost shattering dreams, for his almost vanishing life.

The smile in Baekhyun’s face a while ago was now replaced with apprehension as he nodded and agreed, “Yeah. I think Lu Han’s not yet ready to talk about…that.”

“Besides, we could not do anything about it. Lu Han was not able to see what attacked him.” Chanyeol muttered before clearing his throat and sharing a glance with Baekhyun and Kai, who also shared the same unspoken truth.

Sehun’s eyes softened at the sight of a shivering Lu Han, but the thought of a monster lurking inside campus is too much for the blind student, for him, and for everyone to handle.

With that, Sehun stormed out of the room and left the people there in uttering silence.

 

 

After two days of nothing but lying on his bed, accepting fruits and visits from his classmates and professors, endless medical examinations and prior therapies, Lu Han was thankful that the school doctor finally gave him the permission to leave the clinic.

“You need to be extra careful, Lu Han. Don’t force yourself too much, especially your injured hand.” The doctor gently checked the security of his bandages and his arm cast.

Lu Han nodded and smiled, “Thanks.”

The school doctor handed Baekhyun his roommate’s schedule for his therapies. “Thanks, doc. I’ll make sure he’ll be attending these sessions.”

The doctor bade them goodbye as Baekhyun assisted Lu Han out of the clinic and carried his things.

“Before we could spend time inside our dorm room which I’m sure you really missed, I need to take you to the principal’s office.” Baekhyun informed the blind student.

“Why? I did not do something wrong.” Lu Han defended.

Baekhyun laughed, “It’s not something like that, you silly! I think the principal will just talk to you about… certain things.”

“What? They’ll force me to leave the school?” Lu Han guessed.

Baekhyun cleared his throat, “Not like that! But yeah, I think they’ll ask you to leave the school premises temporarily. After the incident, you’re no longer safe here.”

Lu Han agreed and nodded, even if it means he’ll have to stay out of school for the months he’ll be recovering.

Baekhyun noticed his friend’s gloomy look and patted him on the shoulder, “Don’t you worry! We’ll visit you every now and then. And I’ll also make sure to update you on the lessons that you’ll miss.”

“Thanks a lot, Baek. That really means a lot to me.” Lu Han smiled.

As the two students reached the principal’s room, two arms immediately wrapped around Lu Han. The soft gesture accompanied by the too familiar smell of daisies tells him that it was none other than Ms. Park from the orphanage, the mother he wished he had.

“How are you?” Ms. Park whispered into Lu Han’s ear.

Lu Han wanted to cry, but he had appeared too weak in the past few days and decided not to. He was just too happy to be back in these embracing arms of someone who knew him too well.

“I’m fine.”

Baekhyun was right. The school principal wanted Lu Han to stay at the orphanage until he finally recovered. Since he was Lu Han’s roommate, he’ll also be the one to update him of whatever lessons he’ll miss by that period of time that he’ll be gone from school.

Back in their dorm room with Ms. Park, Baekhyun helped Lu Han arrange his things.

“I’ll surely miss Chunnyeon.” Lu Han remarked softly as he was folding one of his shirts.

Baekhyun retrieved the folded shirt from Lu Han and put in inside his duffel bag, “Chunnyeon will miss you as well. It’s only for a few months. You’ll make a comeback, and it will be great.”

Lu Han smiled at this.

“I think I’ll need to call one of the volunteers back in the orphanage. With Lu Han’s injured hand, the two of us will not be able to carry these bags just by ourselves.” Ms. Park informed.

“I’m sure Baekhyun will help us.” Lu Han suggested.

Baekhyun pouted, “I’m sorry, Ms. Park. I have a preliminary exam later. I really wanted to help, but I just can’t.”

“It’s alright, Mr. Byun. You have already helped Lu Han a lot.” Ms. Park smiled as she fished for her mobile phone in her pocket.

Baekhyun snapped his fingers, “Oh, I know! Jongin’s already done with his exams. He’ll be glad to help Lu Han.”

“No. He might be too busy at dance practice.” Lu Han blushed, which Ms. Park noticed and this made her smile.

“He’s already Chunnyeon’s best dancer. What’s more to practice?” Baekhyun said a-matter-of-factly as he sent a text message to Kai.

Within a few moments of packing Lu Han’s things, Kai was already knocking and waiting by their doorstep.

“He’s here. I gotta go!” Baekhyun said as he opened the door for Kai after he hugged Lu Han and Ms. Park goodbye.

Lu Han hurriedly stood up at the thought of Kai waiting for him in the doorstep, unconsciously combing his dishevelled hair with his fingers and straightening his crumpled shirt afterwards. As he heard Baekhyun ran for his exam, he also heard light footsteps from the dancer who enters his room.

“So, this is the Kai you talk about.” Ms. Park notified as she flashed the younger a bright smile, like how she always did.

Redness flushed Lu Han’s cheeks as Kai politely bowed and greeted the elder, “Good afternoon!”

A hassled sound of a closing zipper was heard from Lu Han as he prepares the last bag, which Kai helped him pick up from the bed. “So you talk about me?”

“No! Baekhyun was just telling stories of you to Ms. Park. It was not me.” Lu Han defended, the redness tinting his cheeks a little more.

Ms. Park, on the other hand, smiled at this seemingly adorable scenario. It was such a nice thing to see Lu Han’s cheeks blush in embarrassment. She hadn’t seen him like this for a long time ever since the blind orphan’s childhood friend left.

Within moments, the three of them were inside Ms. Park’s van which was headed to the orphanage. After a few minutes of traveling which was full of chit-chats from Lu Han and Ms. Park who hadn’t seen each other for a very long time, they finally reached the old traditional building.

“We’re here, boys.” Ms. Park informed the two students as she parked the van.

Kai opened the door of the vehicle for Lu Han and assisted him outside. Lu Han’s shoes made this familiar sound of them playing in this field all day as he stepped down.

“I’m back at the orphanage.” Lu Han unnoticeably said to himself.

Kai had heard this. Bewildered of the longing in Lu Han’s blank eyes, he answered “You’re home.”

 

 

It was an instant home-coming party that night in the orphanage. Ms. Park and the volunteers had prepared all of Lu Han’s favourite foods which were just enough to feed all of them. After the warm dinner, Lu Han was greeted by some of his old friends, telling him stories in the orphanage that he missed. Some were worried of Lu Han’s ill condition, but all were happy to see him back in this big family.

At a distant, Kai was sitting there. Despite of the busy people and children around, his eyes were fixed at Lu Han, noticing every detail of this sweet moment. The way the lines in his eyes wrinkle as he laughs at his friend’s stories is what he likes the most. Not to mention the way he carries the new orphans who were just like him, were amazed by Lu Han’s great ambition to reach his dreams despite of him being blind. He smiled at the sight of the new kids easily giving in to the blind orphan’s charm as they comfortably play with him like they already know him for too long, well in fact he had just been here a few hours ago. Kai felt happy as he knows that Lu Han is safer here, in his home.

He decided to bid goodbye to Ms. Park who willingly accepted him inside their orphanage for Lu Han was too busy playing with the kids.

“Thank you for the dinner, Ms. Park. But I have to go now.” Kai bowed.

Ms. Park smiled, “You’re welcome! Thank you as well for your kindness in helping us with Lu Han’s carriage.”

“It’s my pleasure, Ma’am.” Kai answered.

Ms. Park held him by the shoulder, “I know you’re special to Lu Han. And I also notice the way you look at him. Can you promise me to take care of him? If that’s not too much to ask…”

Kai shook his head, “It’s alright, Ms. Park. I promise I’ll take care of him.”

This made the elder smile, but after a while worry was seen in her eyes. “Don’t you think it’s a little too late for you to walk back to Chunnyeon? It’s too dangerous. I can’t risk seeing you being attacked by the same creature that pounced onto Lu Han the other night.”

“I’ll be alright, Ms. Park. That creature won’t attack me.” Kai reassured.

“How can you be so sure? I insist you spend the night here. We have a lot of vacant rooms for you.” Ms. Park suggested.

Kai shook his head, “I’ll be fine. You don’t have to worry.”

Ms. Park was too worried to even hear what the younger have to say. Instead, she called for Lu Han to come over to where she was talking to Kai. Lu Han heard and decided to walk over after he passed the sleeping child in his arms to one of the volunteers.

“The room next to yours is vacant. Can you please assist Kai upstairs? He’ll be sleeping here tonight.” Ms. Park informed.

Lu Han was surprised and did not really intend to ask “What?!”, which also surprised Kai.

“It’s too unsafe for him to walk through the night by himself.” Ms. Park informed.

Touching his bandaged hand, Lu Han nodded. He can’t let Kai walk all alone in the streets. He doesn’t want him to be attacked like what happened to him in the rooftop. It was dreadful to think of, but he’ll be willing to be back there, under that creature’s body ready to be devoured, than losing Kai forever.

Lu Han nodded, “This way.”

 

 

 

After a very long night of catching-up stories, cleaning up the mess hall, and putting the children to sleep, Lu Han was outside the shower room, holding a clean towel for Kai to use. He may look like a fool smiling to himself as he was waiting outside for Kai to finish, but a day full of work like this will never be the same if not for Kai. Lu Han thought that he was really good with kids, as if he was also living here in the orphanage for as long as he may remember. Kai was also helpful with Ms. Park and the volunteers, which Lu Han thought of as a gesture of gratefulness for them letting him in for tonight. This amazed Lu Han, of Kai’s walls being let down, of him reminding him of his childhood friend.

When he heard the door creak open and he smelled the scent of shampoo and soap that come with it, he hurriedly gave the bath towel to the waiting Kai. Even if he may not see anything, Lu Han moved cautiously for him not to give Kai a wrong image.

“I’m done.” Kai said as he was wiping his wet hair with the towel.

The sounds of the deepening night can be heard through the thin walls of the orphanage. Two figures were shadowed by the dim lights as Kai and Lu Han walked down the hallway to their respective rooms side by side. Neither of them spoke, but the silence had varying effects on the two.

For Kai, the silence was almost relaxing, far from the busy buzz of their school campus. He can barely hear his and Lu Han’s breaths.

For Lu Han, the silence was a reminder of him being weak. Before, this stillness will calm him, not until that fate in the rooftop. Since his stay at the school clinic, this will be the first time that he’ll sleep on his own. Alone.

How he wished he had the drug that the doctor had injected him to stay out of panic that something…that someone…is watching him from afar, just like how a predator would wait to hunt his prey.

Kai opened the door to his room which Ms. Park and the volunteers had prepared for him for the night to stay into, but before entering he noticed Lu Han staring into his own hand. Long before, he finally noticed that the blind orphan’s hand was shaking as it holds the door knob.

“Lu Han, are you alright?” Kai softly asked, aware of the sleeping children in the other rooms.

Lu Han did not look in his way, hands still shaking, its veins almost popping out as if the knob is too sturdy to open.

“Here.” Kai touched Lu Han’s hand, which was as cold as the winter snow. He had opened the door for him and was quite surprised that he found it easy to turn the knob.

He then realized that Lu Han’s problem is not the door itself, but what’s behind it.

Lu Han’s room was dark. There were his bed, his closet, and few of his things arranged in the same way as he left the orphanage for Chunnyeon. It was all the same. It’s not the place. It’s not the darkness. It’s him being alone, engulfed in darkness, not knowing what lies beneath the obscurity.

Without any hesitation, Kai grabbed for Lu Han and hugged him tight, careful not to hurt his injured hand. Lu Han was surprised, but his astonishment was overpowered by the safety that Kai’s strong arms provide. Even if they were embracing in sheer dimness, all of the demons glooming Lu Han’s thoughts were swept away as his head lies securely in Kai’s heaving chest, his heartbeat reminding him that he’ll be bland from any monster lurking in the nightfall.

“Don’t be scared.” Kai whispered into Lu Han’s ear, his warm breath giving him a sense of comfort and security.

 

They were just there, holding one another.

 

 

“Please don’t go.”

Lu Han really meant it.

 

“I’m here.”

Once again, Kai proved him that all of this is something real; Kai is real.

 

 

 

“Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?”