Chapter 11

WOLF

It’s been weeks since Lu Han had started his lessons in ballet with Kai. By this time, he can now balance himself even without the help of the barre, he was hesitant at first to break from using the metal support, but Kai’s words, once again, convinced him to have no boundaries.

“Don’t rely too much on the barre. Don’t treat it like it’s your partner.”

Kai’s right. Relying too much, onto someone or something, is never a good option, for normal people and disabled ones alike. Lu Han had learned this early in life, though he still needs someone by his side most of the time. Lu Han doesn’t want to feel like a burden to the people around him, thus making him decide to not depend on other people like a leech. But now that he’s here, in this position of making or breaking his Chunnyeon dream, he noticed himself unnoticeably relying on one thing: Kai’s encouraging words.

 

 

It was a Saturday afternoon, and Lu Han was together with Kai and Sehun inside the auditorium. He noted that they were always here during Saturdays, for it was the only day that the auditorium is free from any students.

“I’m done with the whole concept…” Sehun started, actually addressing Kai. Then they started talking about their pas de deux, Sehun enumerating complex ballet terms and moves. As for Lu Han’s pas de deux with both Sehun and Kai, they decided that he just focus on pointe works and pointe techniques, for he’ll just be “chased” as he will play the deer of the dawn. It was no problem for Lu Han now since Kai started teaching him basic pointe works and techniques as soon as he can balance without using the barre.

“…as for the last pas de deux, Lu Han will end up being ‘eaten’ by the wolf. That will be the hardest in his part.”

“What will I do?” Lu Han can’t hide the fretfulness in his voice as he asked.

Kai answered his question, “You’ll do three consecutive pirouettes, then a plié before a battement développé. I’ll end the performance by doing a short fouetté en tournant, then a brisé towards you, and a final fish dive from the two of us.”

The terms which Kai used are almost foreign to Lu Han; it’s as if he’s listening to an alien from a different planet. For sure, if a normal ballet dancer would do his parts, it would be easy-peasy for them. He’s sure Kai and Sehun will execute the complex ballet moves perfectly. On the other hand, Lu Han was again doubting himself if he can execute such an “easy” task.

Sehun snickered at Lu Han, “Don’t be overwhelmed with the terms. Your face is turning pale!” He then patted Lu Han’s head.

Lu Han immediately bit his lips to flush back the blood and color in it.

“Don’t worry. I’ll help you with your steps.” Kai reassured.

Again, Lu Han’s burden was lifted, for he now believes that Kai will be there to help him. He made him love this whole new thing, and he won’t fail him.

Sehun informed them that he’ll just get something from his dorm room, leaving Kai teaching Lu Han some basic pointe works and techniques.

“First, pointe works are usually done by women, for they are expected to be more graceful than men.” Kai started.

Lu Han furrowed his eyebrows, “But I’m not a girl, and I’m not graceful.”

Kai shook his head and rebuked, “There you are again, doubting yourself. How many times will I tell you to stop that?”

Lu Han uttered a sorry, and Kai smiled.

“The pointe is not about the gender of the performer, it’s about the gracefulness of the dancer.” Kai continued.

Lu Han wants to reiterate what he just stated a while ago, hesitated, but said nevertheless. “I’m not graceful.”

“Yes, you are.” Kai comforted.

Lu Han argued, “No, I’m not.”

Lu Han had heard Kai’s footsteps come near him, but stopped a few meters away. Nonetheless, the distance between them a while ago was now shorter.

“You are graceful. I can tell from just watching you from afar.”

Lu Han’s heart skipped a bit, although he can’t tell why. There’s just something different at Kai’s voice when he said that. The mellow and mystery of his voice from when he first heard it seems to be more distinct now.

The auditorium was now filled with silence.

“I never fail to see you, Lu Han.” Kai said with his head bowed, almost whispering, yet Lu Han still heard it.

Lu Han probed, “What do you mean?”, also keeping his voice hushed, as if asking himself more than asking Kai.

The question was left hanging in the air as Sehun returned with his laptop and said, “I’m back.”

Sehun was surprised at the stillness of the two figures standing on the stage. “I thought the two of you were practicing?”

Kai tilted his head towards Sehun, “I’m just….explaining….something to Lu Han.”

Sehun just shrugged and hopped up the stage, typing and clicking on his laptop. “I was able to search an online shop that tailors leotards for men. We’ll just order our costumes. They also have great designs, which actually suited our theme and are not awkward to wear. I’ll have the silver one with the cape since I’ll be the moon, Kai will have this black one with the ragged linings, and Lu Han will wear this simple white one…”

Sehun continued blabbering about their costumes and the pre-ordering and the cost, but neither Kai nor Lu Han were listening, for both of them are deep in an ocean of questions gone unasked and confessions left unrevealed.

 

 

As the professionals that they should be, Kai and Lu Han then proceeded to continue their lesson, as Sehun was still busy ordering their costumes and talking to the supplier on the phone.

“Just forget what I said a while ago.” Kai started, keeping his voice low for Sehun not to hear.

Lu Han just nodded, but he can never promise to erase those words from his mind.

Kai started explaining the mechanics of doing a pointe, “Pointe is an important technique in classical ballet. While performing this, you need to be on the tips of your toes. You also need to fully extend your feet, but it will be advisable if you’ll wear pointe shoes. Do you have those?”

Lu Han shook his head, “I don’t have that kind of shoes. I’ll just ask Baekhyun if he have any.”

By this time, Kai knew that it would not be logical to just let Lu Han borrow his pointe shoes. Looking at Lu Han’s feet, it will be too large for him.

“Will it be okay if I’ll try doing a pointe with these sneakers that I’m wearing?” Lu Han asked.

Kai thought for a second, “You might be injured. Sneakers aren’t the thing for ballet.”

“But I want to try…” Lu Han insisted.

Kai wants to argue, but Lu Han looks so firm on trying the new ballet move. “Okay, but I’ll assist you.”

Lu Han nodded as he heard Kai’s footsteps walk behind him. Without any warning, he felt Kai’s hands on his hips. It was a gentle touch, yet Lu Han was disconcerted as if Kai’s transferring some electrical charges to his spine, which will make him move. As Kai counted to three, Lu Han was ready and poised to do a pointe, but due to the round tips of his sneakers meeting the polished wooden floor of the stage, he stumbled backwards right after he tiptoed.

It was a good thing that Kai was behind him. Instead of falling straight towards the floor, Lu Han had his back at Kai’s chest, supporting him and maintaining their balance.

“What happened?!” a worried Sehun called.

Lu Han immediately walked away from his awkward position with Kai. “N-nothing! I just stumbled…”

Sehun instantaneously went up the stage, and checked Lu Han, “Are you sure? Nothing’s hurt?”

Lu Han can hear that the worry in Sehun’s voice was authentic and not a pretend one, though he can’t understand why he’s suddenly like that.

Sehun seemed to read the question in Lu Han’s face and backed up, “I mean…You can’t be injured before the performance. I’m worried about….our grades.” With that, he gawkily went down back to his laptop and phone.

 

 

The three of them left the auditorium late in the evening after Kai and Sehun finished practicing their pas de deux. Sehun informed them that he’ll meet with the supplier at the mall early in the morning, so he went straight ahead to his own room. It was Kai who assisted Lu Han to his dorm room.

“Thanks. For catching me a while ago.” Lu Han said, before turning the doorknob, his back at Kai.

Kai shrugged, “It was nothing.”

This time, Lu Han faced him, and asked, “Was that a bandage in your arm?”

Kai remembered that when he helped Lu Han a while ago, the blind student accidentally held onto his bandaged arm.

“What happened to that?” Lu Han asked again, after getting nothing from Kai.

Kai stuttered, “It was….it was just…just a muscle sprain.”

“You’re injured?” Lu Han was worried, remembering Sehun’s words about their grades.

“It’s nothing serious. It will eventually heal.”

Although he doesn’t want to lie, Kai can’t tell Lu Han the truth: that he got injured not because of some dance practice, but rather because of a scuffle that he had a few nights before in the abandoned museum, that it was not just the muscle that’s severely harmed but also the flesh as well.

“Are you sure? We can stop practicing and just wait for your arm to fully heal.” Lu Han suggested.

Kai shook his head, “No. We will continue. We need to get through the first showcase.”

Lu Han was actually too tired to argue with Kai, and in fact, he knows what he’s doing. If Kai will insist that they continue their lessons, then Lu Han have no choice but to oblige.

“Okay. I’ll go inside.” Lu Han informed.

As he closed the door, Kai leaned his forehead on the wooden barrier between him and the blind student. Good night, Lu Han…

 

 

The exhaustion of the practice for the preliminaries didn’t get into Kai’s stamina. As soon as the night broke into the sky, he found his ways through the dark alleys of the city. His feet stopped dragging him when he reached the rusty gates of the abandoned museum.

He broke a piece of the once grand windows of the museum by using his elbows, a habit of his ever since they found this museum a few years ago. Unlike the other members of their pack who goes here whenever they should meet, he loves to go here often. There’s something in the old and dark Gothic hallways of this building that enchants him. He doesn’t know what exactly it is, but Kai seems to be lulled by the mysteries of the abandoned museum. For him, this served as his sanctuary, his home.

Kai walked through the maze-like identical hallways of the museum. It was not hard to make his way because he memorized the ins and outs of the museum like the school building in Chunnyeon. His pack always stays at the central lobby of the museum, the one with the musty brown carpet and the tarnished deranged chandeliers, and that’s where he’s headed.

As he reached the said lobby, he was expecting to be alone. But his smell failed him, telling him that there was someone inside. Adjusted to the dim light coming from the evening sky, he saw a figure standing at the center of the area. He sniffed the air, and his senses never failed him. It was Kris.

“What are you doing here?” Kai asked, keeping his voice stern yet calm.

Kris turned his back and looked at Kai, “I missed home. Life in Chunnyeon had been stressful.”

Kai chuckled, “But you never treat this place your home.”

“But this is not your territory.” Kris replied, a too familiar smirk painted on his lips.

Kai was taken aback for Kris was right. This is not his territory. This is theirs.

The nocturnal air filled the lobby, mixed with the heated glares that the two beasts are sharing with one another. Both of them were rather surprised that they aren’t killing each other now, just inhaling the nightly mood of the museum. Both have their control on every impulse that tells them to attack the other, though they both know that this is not the right time for that.

“Aren’t you sick of this?” Kris asked, voice echoing.

Even if he only used minimal words, Kai knew what he’s pertaining about. “This is what we need to last long.”

“To survive? With that rule? That’s nonsense, we both know that.” Kris snickered.

Kai now looks into Kris’ eyes, “Then what’s your plan?”

“I’m not the leader of this pack.”

“I’m not either.”

Kai found it funny that the course of their conversation was just rotating like that one night in this same place.

“The night of the first showcase…it’s full moon.” Kris informed, though Kai already knew this. As werewolves, they know when the moon will be full of dark energy, as opposed to the large circle of light that illuminates the city. For it’s in its light that they are most savage, and in some rare cases, their control slips out of their consciousness.

Kai said gloomily, “I know.”

“Let’s have a small party game; I know you won’t spoil the fun. Right, Jongin?” Kris sarcastically queried.

Kai didn’t expect this, but he stayed silent, which Kris took as a hint to continue.

“The night of the first showcase will mark the start of the Hunt. If the rule of not devouring human flesh will just heat up and divide our pack, the deer of the dawn will be our last hope for survival. Its heart holds something which is the key to immortality. We all want that, since we can’t mate with a human. I think we’re all clear with that, since no argument had arisen ever since Baekhyun and Kyungsoo recited the riddle a few nights ago.” Kris explained.

Kai recalled the deafening silence when the Hunt was evoked. Kris is right, it’s their last chance.

“But we also know that it is a legend, and many have tried and failed to search for the deer of the dawn.” Kai said.

Kris insisted, “Do you really think of all of those mistakes, Jongin? We don’t have any choice! It’s now or never.”

Again, Kris was right. With this, Kai nodded his head. “Then what do you want to do? We should inform the whole pack.”

Kris shook his head, a smirk visible under the moonlight. “No, Jongin.”

“What do you mean?” Kai was confused.

Kris started walking towards him, so near that he can smell Kris’ beastly scent. “I wanted this whole Hunt to be just between us. The two of us…”

The competitive spirit naturally inside of Kai roared upon hearing Kris’ dare, though he also thinks that it will be hard and wrong if it will just be between him and Kris.

However, Kai still nodded his head, agreeing to Kris’ plan.

“I guess we have a deal?” Kris offered his hand for Kai to shake, a formal gesture of compromise.

Kai took and shook it firmly, “Deal.”

Kris then headed towards the exit door, “There are no rules, Jongin. Whoever catches the deer of the dawn first…will be the leader of this pack.”

Just before Kris’ shadow disappeared through the night, Kai was able to utter, making Kris hear, “May the best beast win…”