Chapter 16

WOLF

Suho can’t believe what his eyes had just witnessed.

Kris has not always been the kind-type of guy. Arrogance lingers in his presence which makes a lot of people feel insecure and intimidated with just one stare from his seemingly cold eyes. He also doesn’t talk a lot; he just speaks whenever he had something to say, unlike Baekhyun and Kyungsoo who blabbers every minute of every day. He’s personality resembles that of Jongin, yet the two of them are ironically different when it comes to their decisions. Both can lead their pack, both are great werewolves. Before in Suho’s eyes, they seem to match together, as a team in that case. Their pack would not have survived those long years of being young and deserted in this unfamiliar city if not for the efforts of those two to keep them alive and running. But after that one fateful night in the abandoned museum, and after this horrible incident, it’s now clear to him that there is a great barrier that separates Kris from Jongin:

He kills…

Yes, at some point in their lives, all of them were able to kill. But that was before the agreement, everything had changed now. As his feet dragged him in no particular direction at all, Suho remembered their packs’ first time to hunt.

It was a cold winter dawn, in a remotely far forest from the city of Seoul. Both the ground and the trees were covered in white, making the environment serene and calm. It was soothing, Suho thought. But then in contrary, that first night of hunting was not supposed to be peaceful. It was supposed to be a bloody feast. Suho can literally feel the adrenaline rushing from the barely young bodies of the other wolves around him. The last elder wolf just formed this group right before he died; everyone in the pack unsure of the future, of their survival. He had known some of the members since he was a child. There was Lay, Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who lived in his neighbourhood. Then there’s Jongin, that kid with the potential to be the leader of the pack, as what the late elder wolves predicted. Besides them, everyone felt awkward. It was a fact that they will be stuck together for a long time, I suppose, so they will have to learn to be comfortable with one another, and one way of accomplishing that is by doing their first hunt.

They haven’t transformed into beasts of the night yet because that was a major rule in hunting. A good hunter’s not supposed to reveal himself. Instead, he needs to blend in. It was a craft developed by their ancestors in order for them and the next lines of generations to hide their devious identities in this harsh world. It was an advantage especially for Suho in this setting, with his pearly white skin which blends easily with the snow. If not for the winter clothes that they are wearing, Suho would have camouflaged himself with the surroundings.

Second rule: heighten one’s senses. Unlike humans, werewolves have special abilities inert since birth. They can see a potential victim a few kilometres away, smell their alluring scent, or hear the last pints of their breath before their slay. Just like common wolves, they are predators of robust strength and agile speed. Once their eyes were laid upon a piteous victim, it’s just a matter of minutes…seconds…before death knocks on that poor creature’s door.

“You can do it…” Suho heard Chanyeol whisper to Baekhyun.

Suho looked at their direction, and saw Baekhyun’s sad eyes. It was obvious that he doesn’t want to kill and stain his hands with blood. Seeing his friend’s delirium, a hint of doubt sprouted within Suho. Do they really need to kill?

“We are werewolves. We’re supposed to be monsters.”

Everyone looked in that new kid’s direction. His name was Kris, and it was Suho’s first time to hear his voice. Upon hearing conviction come out of the tall boy’s mouth, Baekhyun stopped on his tracks and whispered, “I don’t want to kill…”

Kris just smirked, probably insulting Baekhyun in his mind. “Such a waste. Do you think your parents will be proud after hearing that from you? They raised you as a wolf. You should be, or at least act, like one.”

With that, no one, even Chanyeol and Jongin, defended Baekhyun.

It was a few minutes later when all of them had sensed something moving behind the bushes. Some of them like Chen and Tao positioned and readied themselves to attack. But everyone knows the third rule of hunting: assess the victim.

It was Suho and Kris who neared the shrubberies.

Everyone was anticipating. The shrill of the moment, of their first hunt, seized everyone’s spirit for basically different reasons. Some are actually excited for their feast, some unsure and curious of how it will all end, and some sceptical of the nature of this entire hunt.

When Kris’ long slender fingers waved apart the covering bushes, a meek yet captivating creature stood there with seemingly innocent and unknowing eyes; it was a deer, its antlers branching out like how the big ocean parts to form small rivers and streams, it’s brown plumage highlighted by the cold white snow covering his habitat.

Everyone did the last rule of hunting: stay silent and kill…

But before they pranced towards the poor deer, everyone heard an ear-piercing gunshot.

This sound, even though it’s the first time for some of them to actually hear a bullet escape the barrel as the trigger was pulled, is very familiar to their ears. This is the sound of their ancestor’s death, the same sound that put them altogether as a pack, the same sound that killed the other werewolves. The mighty in the pack tried to hide their anxiety and kept a calm face, but as for the docile ones, their faces showcased a painting of pure terror.

Kai knew exactly what to do, and signalled the others to remain quiet as he put his index finger to his lips. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, pulled Kai back as he was taking a step forward to check who fired that weapon.

“Let’s target the deer.”

Kris silently chuckled at this. “Are you kidding us? There’s obviously a larger prey out there. We shouldn’t settle with the deer!”

That time Suho knew already that Kris is a vicious wolf always ready to kill. Without any argument, all of them transformed into their monster forms, somehow agreeing to Kris’ plans but not fully giving in to this murder. Even Kai didn’t know what to do, Kris is more skilled in hunting than him, but that doesn’t mean that he can be a better leader. This time, only this time, Kai will let Kris take the lead. Nonetheless, this was their first hunt, and a pack’s first journey as a group should be remarkable in history. A deer as their first prey will be meaningless, all of them thought. A bigger creature is better. A human as a prey will always be better.

The deer that was standing behind the shrubberies a while ago now lies dead in a pool of blood by the white forest floor. The scene was enchanting, the scent tempting, especially for a pack of wolves in their first hunt. But it was not the deer’s blood that they were after for…

It can be seen in the human hunter’s face his victorious smile of being able to shoot a deer. This will be a great addition to his collection of bear carpets and antler chandeliers. The head of this deer will be a welcoming figure by the front porch of his comfy house, a symbol of success and of life.

Never did he know that this will be his last deer…

Within matter of seconds, this mighty hunter was attacked by twelve unnaturally large wolves, with his useless gun dropped on the ground. Flesh tearing as sharp claws and canine teeth danced through every inch of his skin, matched by blood flowing out of his arteries and veins like how rain drops in the window of a car. A loud shriek of terror would be heard in the forests, making the birds nesting on the tall trees fly out of sight. An echoing voice asking for help and pity were bounced by the mountain tops, yet no one ever came. This is the last remains of the hunter, and the first feast of the last pack of werewolves.

 

Suho doesn’t want to go into details on how they feasted on human meat. He clearly didn’t want to remember that taste, that bubbling feeling in his tongue as he first devoured that kind of flesh. Like the others, he had lived many years of abstaining from eating human meat. Before the agreement, he will be willing to attack and kill a human for food; but now, even thinking of doing so and harming a minute life as his is enough to nauseate him.

All of this is too much for Suho to take all in. As his eyes were welling up with tears and his vision were blurring due to a rumble inside his guts, his feet were dragging him without even him in control of where to straight ahead. It’s driving him crazy.

It was until he reached the end of an alley that strong arms wrapped around him. Every movement was swift like the gusty evening wind, but these arms that enclosed him were stronger than metal bars used in setting up traps.

As Suho tried to free himself and shout for help, long meagre digits covered his mouth tightly as if suffocating him to death.

Within this distance, Suho was sure that the man behind him is no one but Kris. He will kill me…but I have to fight back!

It was Kris who taught Suho how to utilize their inhuman skills. Never did they both foresee that the lessons shared will be applied against one another. It is obvious that Kris has an advantage when it comes to strength, size and speed, but Suho won’t let him be an addition to Kris’ long list of pitiful victims.

“Hush…” Suho was surprised at how calm Kris’ voice sounded. Instead of being comforted, panic rose inside Suho’s mind. Kris is a silent killer, and this only proves that he’ll be his next victim.

Suho tried to free himself from Kris’ strong grip, and was surprised that finally the taller man freed him. Instead of attacking him, Kris gripped him by his shoulders and looked at him straight in the eyes.

“No one should ever know about this…” Kris whispered, his eyes not locking away from Suho’s teary ones.

Suho shook his head. He can’t believe this is all happening. Kris should be killing him now…not like this…

“How can you do this?! We all had an agreement!” Suho can’t help himself but shout, even though he’s not sure if he’s angry or just flustered of the sudden turn of events.

It was Kris who shook his head this time, “I thought you’re smart, Suho. We can’t be like this forever. Don’t be foolish like Jongin.”

“Jongin isn’t a fool. He’s…He’s…” Suho can’t find the right words.

Kris smirked at this fondness, “What, Suho? Jongin is what? He’s like me. He’s like you. We are all monsters.”

“No! I’m not like you!” Suho stepped back, but Kris’ long slender arms can still reach him. At any time, this beast can kill him.

“There will come a time that you will also feel this hunger. It’s only a matter of time before we’ll all be like what we used to be. Prolonging it won’t do any good. What’s the difference anyway?” Kris mocked the shorter one.

Suho wants to answer back. He knows Kris has a point, but he’s fighting himself inside his mind. He can’t be like Kris. Never.

“Jongin won’t say that…” Suho whispered.

Kris’ smile disappeared. “Why do you always believe him? He’s not always right. In fact, he’ll bring the death of all of us! Believe me, Suho…”

Suho shook his head and said no.

Feeling frustrated, Kris closed his eyes. If this will be Baekhyun in front of him, he will not hesitate to kill. But this is Suho…He’s different. He can’t kill him.

“Besides our pack’s secrecy from humans, what do you think is the main purpose of the agreement that we had?” Kris asked Suho, still his eyes closed and hands gripping the other by the shoulders.

Suho instantly anwered back, as if the question was from his vocals professor in Chunnyeon, “Peace. So that our pack will remain in peace.”

His analysing mind can’t seem to fathom where Kris will be taking this conversation. By this moment, he’s sure that Kris won’t kill him. He can’t…But he himself can’t also be sure…

Kris, still keeping his eyes closed, said “That’s right. Peace. Would you want to see our pack in complete chaos?”

This will be the trap card that Kris will be using against Suho. He knows him too well. Ironically speaking, Suho is the angel among the pack. He thinks nothing but the betterment of their pack’s safety and welfare.

“No.” Suho answered shortly, which made Kris smile since his hunch was proven. His alas is working as planned.

Kris breathed deeply, and this time opened his eyes to look at Suho. He needs to convince him.

“If you really think about the peace inside our pack, you won’t tell anyone about what you saw a while ago. Especially Jongin…You understand?”

Suho’s eyes almost bulged out of his sockets upon hearing this. “Why shouldn’t I?! Are you blackmailing me?”

“Think, Suho. If you’ll tell them about what you saw, there will be a crack in our brotherhood. I know you…and you don’t want that.” Kris persuaded him.

He’s right, Suho thought. Jongin won’t let this slip from his palm. Their pack will never be the same once Suho blurted out this new information. But…Kris killed. He didn’t abide with the agreement. He’s the traitor.

Kris leaned in closer, his lips almost touching the lobes of Suho’s ears as he whispered, “Please…please let this be a secret between the two of us.”

 

 

Suho was alive after his conversation with Kris last night, which he wasn’t sure if he’ll be thankful for. The dark circles under his eyes are a proof that Kris’ words lingered in his mind all night and deprived him of sleep. With that blackmail and this heavy burden upon his shoulders, how he wishes that he might as well be dead.

As the model student that he is, he tried to attend all of his academic and performance classes throughout the day. He also tried his best to be alone just for the entire time for him to think of his future actions and the consequences that come along with it.

It is impossible for a normal person to have nightmares when awake. It is also logical to say that Suho is not an average individual for he is a werewolf by nature. But the whole scenario of the slaughter last night, the memory of their devious first hunt, and Kris’ blackmailing words are enough to lure poor Suho into the pits of dark abyss in his wake.

After his last class, he went to the wash room to cleanse his face so that he’ll be awake…so that the pictures of the dead hunter and the murdered girl in uniform would also be carried away by the clear waters from the faucet.

“Have you heard the rumours?” an anonymous voice inside the wash room asked.

“No. Spill it, c’mon.” another one answered. Suho unintentionally eavesdropped the whole conversation while he was wiping off his face with his white handkerchief.

The first anonymous voice spoke once again, “After Shin Yoonjo, there was another victim found dead on an alley near our school. I think it’s still there, since I saw some investigators on my way here.”

The eager one answered back, “Oh. C’mon. Let’s check out the crime scene. You sure it’s still there?”

“Yeah…” the anonymous person continuously spoke, but Suho could not make out the words he was hearing for he is speaking to himself after he heard that conversation.

I was right all along…

They will soon find out about Kris’ last victim…

As Suho went out the wash room, he immediately saw a multitude of Chunnyeon students piled up by the front gate. Curiosity filled him up and soon his feet were dragging him into that direction.

A few steps after, an intoxicating foul smell lingered on his sensitive nose. By nature, Suho already knew what it was; they had been craving for this smell ever since they had their first hunt as a pack. His eyes widened to confirm what the commotion all about was: the victim’s dead body.

There were a lot of heads blocking Suho’s view of the dead body wrapped by a black bag stained by unnoticeable blood spilling out of the girl’s torn up guts, encasing the poor casualty like a cocoon that failed to hide the smell of obvious slaughter. He’d had enough of that picture in great detail, which almost made him vomit right on the crime scene.

Since there was a hospital inside the prestigious Chunnyeon Arts Academy, the investigators decided to bring the victim’s body there for an autopsy. Another death similar to that of Shin Yoonjo’s, a mystery unsolved. The policemen waved through the pile of snooping students, pushing everyone out of the way.

Suho was also pushed to the back due to the sudden movement of the crowd. The suddenness of the movement might have caused him to fall straight down the ground, but he was lucky to bump his back against another person. Suho bowed and apologized to this person, and was surprised that it was Jongin who stood at his back, together with other EXO members.

 

So they were here all along…

 

Suho noticed three things upon seeing their pack in this crime scene.

 

 

First, everyone’s cold eyes were laid upon the victim’s body.

 

 

Second, Jongin’s fists were clenched to an extent that his knuckles are turning white.

 

 

Third…

 

 

Kris is nowhere to be seen.

 

 

 

A/N: Hello again, my dear readers! First of all, I would like to say a thousand sorries to all of you for this super duper late update of my story. I didn't actually intend to keep you waiting, but it had been tough in school for the last few months. Again, I AM SOOOO SORRY T.T Second, I would also like to apologize for not informing you of my extra extra extra loooooooong hiatus (again, college stuffs). If I can message you one by one, I'll do so. Third, I would like to ask for your understanding and patience as some of you may have forgotten some parts of the story already (which, again, was my fault for not updating). Please have some time to backread the previous chapters. And lastly, please continue giving your love and support. I would forever be thankful for all of you guys. XOXO