Chapter 23

WOLF

No one realized that it will take them three hours to complete the trip from the city of Seoul to the mountains. It seems like the awkward atmosphere from the middle seats of the vehicle had whipped its way to the entire car. After singing along through Lay’s entire playlist, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo also dozed off to sleep just like the blind student. The drowsiness then laid upon the other passengers, leaving only the driver keeping his eyes on the winding road.

Silence for Lay seems to be a treatment. It resembles his entire being: reserved, calm, peaceful. He’s totally amazed by Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s voices, though he must admit that one may need to wear earmuffs after a while. He’s also thankful for the effort that Suho had put to keep himself awake the entire trip, talking to Lay about almost anything his mind may come up with and giving him some company. After the driver noticed his friend’s drooping eyes, he politely told Suho to get some sleep and not to worry about him.

Though he refused to notice at first, the silence seems to pierce his serene composure. He felt fidgety, like something in the air tells him that something will happen. He may not know for now, but his instincts should better prove him wrong.

They all decided to go to the mountains to unwind and have some fun, but something’s telling him that waiting for them to arrive is far from anything amusing.

 

 

After a few kilometres from the last benchmark on the road, the van had arrived on their location.

“Redwoods Camping Site. We’re here, guys.” Lay called to everyone as he read the welcoming arch of the campsite, its detailed calligraphy engrossed in the redwood.

Besides from Lay’s voice, the crumbling sound of the vehicle’s tires as it rolled against the earth woke all of the passengers except for Lu Han who was completely tired from all the work he had done in the orphanage and the equally exhausting trip to the mountains.

Before Kai opened the door of the van, he decided to wake the blind student up. Gently caressing his fingers from Lu Han’s cheeks to his chin, he called out for his name.

“Lu Han, we’re here.”

Kai took notice of the way Lu Han’s eyelids fluttered as he awakened a while ago in his room, his fragile body secured in the dancer’s arms. He smiled as his memory had not faltered for Lu Han’s eyes had opened that same way again.

But instead of a smile which competes with the brightness of the sunlight, he was just met by blank tired eyes.

“Are you okay?” He worriedly asked.

Lu Han cleared his throat before answering, “Yeah. I think I just overslept.”

Everyone fell silent upon hearing the taciturnity in the blind student’s voice as he answered Kai. Without even noticing it, Sehun slightly snickered at everyone’s attendance.

Kai was marginally taken aback by the blind student’s snobby remark, though he still convinces himself that it were just exhaustion and oversleeping talking. Still, he courteously carried Lu Han’s things without the blind one even asking for it, as Sehun guided him outside of the vehicle, careful of his bandaged and now healing hand.

As soon as Baekhyun hopped off the back of the car, he stretched his squat limbs and inhaled the fresh mountain air and exclaimed, “Hmmmm. Smells like home!”

Successfully breaking the ice, Kyungsoo added, “We’re gonna have a lot of fun, that’s for sure!”

With that, the vacationing school boys officially entered the campsite. Everyone was really astonished at the wide field of green grass, adorned with different types of thick and thin bushes and colourful flowering plants. The garden-like yard of the site was too welcoming, with the alternatingly rooted large oak and pine trees perfectly casting a protecting sleuth to anyone strolling. The sun also shines brightest now, since it was near mid-noon, yet the heat of the sun seems to be not that scorching as compared to the blaze in the city. All of this simple beauty was taking everyone’s breath away, even the blind student who fails to see this natural splendour, but taking in the scenery with what the chirping birds tell him, with what the smell of the grass dews conveys.

“Whoa. It looks like that forest in Peter Pan…Neverland…” Suho said, actually to himself, out of wonder.

Although as he may recall Neverland to be a mystical island from the said fairy tale, Lay agreed “Yeah.”

Since everyone was too busy taking in the lush green scenery of the mountains, a door from a cool, cozy, and equally inviting wooden cabin opened, catching everyone’s attention. Came out was a beautiful lady in her twenties, her ranger uniform highlighting her athletic fit body.

“There you are, boys! Ms. Park called and asked if you were here already.” The lady excitedly yelled across the garden. Her energy radiates as she gracefully hopped down the porch and onto the grass, her boots making a light thump as her weight hits the ground.

The boys bowed down and greeted as the ranger lady reached their spot.

“I’m Kwon Yuri, and I own this campsite by the foot of the mountain. Welcome to the Redwoods Camping Site!”

The boys all said in unison like a choir singing by the altar, “Nice to meet you, Ms. Kwon!”

“Drop the formality, boys. I’m not that old. You can even call me by my first name.” The lady said as she let out a sweet yet warm laugh.

“You have a nice garden, Ms. Yuri.” Baekhyun said, matching the campsite owner’s overflowing energy.

“Thanks to these green thumbs over here!” Yuri flashed her slender thumbs, and added, “It was such an honor that Ms. Park from the orphanage chose my services to accommodate all of you guys. I bet all of you were equally exhausted from school. No worries, my colleagues and I have prepared a lot fun activities for you!”

“That’s pleasant to hear, Ms. Yuri.” Suho said with his well-founded tone.

Kwon Yuri’s eyes scanned the smiling faces in front of her, and stopped when her sight hovered the blind student.

She slowly walked towards Lu Han, still keeping her grace, and patted his head lightly, just like what the motherly Ms. Park always do. “So you’re the blind orphan, I guess?”

Lu Han, still keeping his smile, nodded. There’s something in the camp site owner’s touch that makes him feel alive, as compared to other complete strangers when they make bodily contact with him.

“Don’t worry. You’re safe here.” Lu Han was surprised upon hearing this. It’s as if the owner had read his darkest fears, yet the bubbling excitement and energy inside him seemed to brush all of those nightmares away.

 

 

Just like in the orphanage, the workers of the campsite were also generous to prepare a delicious lunch for the campers before they set foot up the mountains. As much as the entrance garden was welcoming, the inside of the cabin is also a sight to cherish. The wooden embellishments and carved furniture decorating the house-like cottage also amazed the boys from the city.

As they were eating their food on a long table made of carved elm tree, Lay noticed an enchanting fixture which stood out among the varnished reds and browns of the wooden equipment inside the cabin.

“What’s that, Ms Yuri?” Lay pointed, and his finger guided everyone’s gaze towards that same direction.

Embarked on the wooden wall, just behind the chair where the camp site owner was seated as she shared the festivity with her visitors, was a stained glass artwork intricately etched. It was far from the smog-coated and shattering stained glasses of the abandoned museum in Seoul. This, to everyone’s surprise, perfectly reflects the sunlight from the windows. It’s different translucent colours ranging from magenta to blue to emerald green, even to silver and gold, giving the whole room a somewhat magical glow.

“That artwork is called ‘The Tree of Life’.” The lady stated, her usually enthusiastic voice so serene that she almost fit perfectly with the oeuvre itself, as if she’s the one who planted the said tree.

Kyungsoo’s eyes were perplexed to the shining artwork, “Is there really such a thing?”

Taking this as an initiative that the city boys have not heard of this tree, she obliged by telling them the tale, “Even though technology and modernization is taking all over the world by surprise, there are still stories…tales and legends… that a lot of people believe in. This mountain is of no exception, for many people believe that this is a sanctuary for… let’s say… evil creatures of the night. But you need not to worry, since this artwork, this ‘Tree of Life’ guards this whole place.”

Feeling the chills from the tell-tale, Lu Han, who has no idea of the real creatures that he befriended, curiously asked, “Is that the only thing that makes the ‘Tree of Life’ special? What other things can it do?”

Yuri smiled upon hearing this. Of course, of all people, the blind student will be the most bedazzled.

 “Many people believe that this enchanted tree holds the secrets of the universe, the answers to many questions unknown; the bad in the good, the light in the darkness; the moon and the sun, death…and life itself.

Upon hearing this, Lu Han somehow felt some chills through his nape, as if the wind inside the cottage is whispering something to him. He simply put it as that sort of fascination that he felt whenever Ms. Park told them stories when they were just little kids.

“Where is it located? You said that the ‘Tree of Life’ shields this mountain.” Sehun sarcastically asked, but still mindful with his choice of words as to show respect to the owner.

Yuri, who turned her head to look at the rainbow wonder that the stained glass artwork mixes with the light, quietly said, “No one knows…”

 

 

As soon as they were finished eating, the boys strolled around the area first while their food was being digesting down by their systems. Of course, Suho and Lay took souvenirs of the campsite with their cameras, clicking the shutter at a light speed. On the other hand, Sehun and Kai, though not together, chose to walk by the trees while they were deep in their thoughts. This leaves Lu Han within the company of the babbling best friends, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun.

“This is such a nice place. I wish you could see this too, Lu Han.” Baekhyun informed.

Lu Han just nodded, “Yeah, I agree. Even though I can’t see it, this place somehow gives me the positive vibes, like just what I need.”

“I certainly feel that too. But don’t you think she’s a little weird?” Kyungsoo inquired.

Baekhyun just shook his head frantically, “What’s weird about Ms. Yuri?! She’s hella pretty, and she’s so kind.”

It was Kyungsoo’s turn to shake his head, but lightly. “No…I mean her legend…”

The other two waited for him to continue his query.

“I mean, that legend, don’t you find it…strange?” he was actually looking at his best friend, hoping that he catches his drift.

It was the blind student who answered, “It’s not weird, though it’s my first time hearing that story. It’s actually pretty fascinating, if it may be true.”

Baekhyun’s mind has processed all of these and while a little light bulb sparked inside his brain, he somehow understood why Kyungsoo finds it weird. All these years they were taught that their only salvation is the heart of the ‘Deer of the Dawn’, but not until now that they were introduced to a much larger force, a much larger entity, that could not only save their race but the whole humanity as well if needed.

Instead of babbling his thoughts out loud, Baekhyun just retorted, “Yeah.”

Lu Han was going to make a remark on how Baekhyun’s tongue must be rolled back, but Ms. Yuri and the volunteers have called for their visitors’ attentions.

“We’re gonna have the mountain hiking orientation now. Come over here, boys!” her cheerful tone called.

The boys obliged and listened as each of the volunteers taught them the basics of mountain hiking. It was a long discussion and demonstration, yet neither one of the boys felt bored. Though EXO may not need some of the information presented in the lecture since they were raised and bred in the mountains, they still gave their full attention to Kwon Yuri and her workers.

“Okay, guys. That’s all you need to know. I hope you listened very well. Just remember that there are maps of the trail, a flashlight and a whistle inside your individual kits. Use them whenever you are encountering a problem, understand?” Yuri reminded them as if she’s a mother to toddlers.

Her toddlers nodded eagerly as their excitement were plastered on their faces, especially the blind student.

“And lastly, be careful. After you have reached the tenth trail mark, immediately go back down here at the foot of the mountain. No going on beyond that.” Yuri prompted.

Lu Han was the brave one to ask, “What’s beyond there, Ms. Yuri?”

The camp site owner was not expecting this inquiry from the blind one, “Oh, nothing much. Just thick trees and shrubs. It’s a secluded and unprotected area, our camp site’s coverage is just that on the tenth trail mark.”

Upon checking the contents of their bags and kits, the city boys then proceeded to go hiking up the mountain.

 

 

All of the hiking up went well for the last few hours. EXO’s stamina was never in question when it comes to strenuous activities such as this, as well as Sehun’s toned physique as a result of all those times spent in the dance practice room. All went well as for the blind student as well, but it was not until they reached the fifth trail mark the exhaustion, once again, seeped through Lu Han’s body.

Suho and Lay were leading their group, carefully reading the map and looking for checkpoints as to not lose their right track. Next to them the singing duo of Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, their voices seem to be harmonizing with the chirps of the forest birds. Then there’s Lu Han, who was once again in between Kai and Sehun. It’s as if they were towering him when it seems like the giant forest trees arch over them high enough.

The two dancers were watchful of Lu Han’s feebling steps, which they both noticed when they reached the fourth trail mark. Neither spoke of this and asked for the blind student’s condition, since they both know that Lu Han does not want to start any conversation with either of them. Within that period of time that they aboard Lay’s van, Lu Han had not paid any responsiveness to the both of them, thinking that he may stir another situation if he did.

“Hey…” Kai decided that he’ll ask now than see Lu Han suffer more, touching his uninjured hand lightly, unsure of the other’s response to his touch.

Gaining none other than a worn-out look on the face, Kai asked the blind student, “Are you okay?”

Lu Han tried his best to keep his voice nonchalant, but he failed as his throat was starting to dry up. He had never thought that the effect of the medicine he took a while ago before the hike will wear off soon enough. With all his might, he just nodded and weakly said, “I’m just tired.”

Hearing this inaudible conversation between the two, Sehun got his water jug from the side of his backpack and offered it to Lu Han, “Here, drink this. I think you’re dehydrated. You’re pale.”

Kai ought to say something to Sehun, that he himself has his own water bottle to offer to Lu Han, but as he sees the blind student gulp the liquid from the container, he decided not to continue.

“Thanks.” Lu Han said and forced a smile.

Kai noticed how Lu Han’s face was getting paler at the moment and proved that Sehun was not just exaggerating his statement a while back. He then called for the attention of the people ahead them.

“Guys, I think you should go on with the hiking. Lu Han’s getting pale.” Kai bellowed.

Lu Han shook his head, “No! I can do this. Trust me.”

His voice failed him and gained everyone’s concern as they stopped on their track and checked on the blind student’s condition.

“Hey, have you taken your medicine before the hike?” His worried roommate asked.

Lu Han nodded.

“Just go on, guys. Don’t spoil the activity. I know there are volunteers on the tenth mark waiting for us. They’ll be too worried if we won’t get there on time. I’ll just carry Lu Han down the campsite.” Kai ordered, and surprisingly no one complained, after all he’s the leader of their new pack.

“I’ll carry Lu Han. You must join your friends, Kai.” Sehun suggested, still keeping that certain tone to his voice whenever he speaks to his rival.

With an equally serious tone, Kai calmly answered back, “Don’t tell me what to do.”

Finding this situation starting again, and threatening to never end, Lu Han just annoyingly stated, “Really?! Are you seriously arguing again? Never mind, I can walk straight back to the camp down the mountains. I can help myself.”

With that, the ever so controlled Lu Han just lost his grip of the whole situation, surprising everyone as he started walking down his way to his unseen destination.

Everyone’s worried, for Lu Han had not memorized their way up to where they were standing, but they also understood where Lu Han’s unexpected actions were coming from. No one wants to be in between two grinding stones all the time.

It was Suho who finally suggested, “Why not the two of you accompany him down there? We’ll continue hiking. We just need to make sure that Lu Han’s safe.”

Without even hesitating, Sehun and Kai followed Lu Han’s trail without saying any word, while the other boys continued their hike.

 

 

Lu Han knows he’s being followed, and by their calculated steps and patterns of heaving breath, he knows they were Kai and Sehun.

He intended to keep on walking down the slope, he has no plans to speak to anyone of them, but his knees are really dragging him down the ground. After reaching at his side and successfully feeling the rough bark of an aging tree, he sat down and took some deep breaths to get some oxygen into his lungs.

Within moments, he was able to smell these too familiar scents of Kai and Sehun as they sat on the ground with Lu Han, Kai on the right side of the tree and Sehun on the left. They took in the instant and did what Lu Han just did, rest his head on the bark and breathed with the tree at once.

It was such a beautiful silence, the sounds of nature as they reached Lu Han’s ears, until this serene nature was pierced with two voices which both said the same thing.

“I’m sorry.”

If Lu Han’s eyes were not closed, he would have rolled it back due to frustration. “So are you gonna argue again as to whom should explain first?”

The other two people leaning against the tree as their pants lay on the ground fell silent once again.

Lu Han took this as a hint to continue speaking, “First, the brawl after the performance, then at the porch of the orphanage and at the van, and now here up the mountains…Don’t worry, I don’t need to hear either of your explanations, though you should know that I’m finding this…this whole situation…very….odd.

Silence, once again.

 

 

 

A/N: Heeeeeyyyyyy ya'll. Again, I'm sorry for the super duper loooooooooong hiatus. But really, college life is so hard, but nonetheless I'm enjoying what I do at school :)) And I just got good grades by the end of our firt term (Cheers!). My hardwork for school stuff paid off well, so for our two week-long term break, I'll try to write as many chapters of this fic as I can just to make up to you my dear readers who have always been patient and understanding of my situation. I really do appreciate all of your love and support! Thank you! And please enjoy reading! :)) God bless you all :)