Chapter 12

WOLF

Baekhyun, Lu Han, Kyungsoo and Chen share a class together, which is vocal music. Lu Han was glad that for a while, he’ll attend a class in which the craft taught is what he really loves. Ballet dance class and their practice for the preliminaries are really taking most of his time, despite that he’s really not a dancer and was just a student persuaded by a galling professor and an irksome roommate.

BoA, the class professor for vocal music who is also popular among the students due to her visually-appealing looks, started the class by giving them a warm-up exercise.

“Today we’ll have a preparation activity before the lecture starts. I usually call this ‘Pass the Voice’. I know some of you have already heard what this vocal workout is all about. And as for those who don’t have any idea…”

BoA then proceeded to explain what the mechanics of “Pass the Voice” is. She will be selecting randomly on her class list three students who will perform on the spot in front of the whole class. The chosen students will decide who among them will be the two “passers” and one “receiver”. The “passers” will both sing a duet in a capella as to any song they may come up with, and the “receiver” should be able to accompany them using any instrument available inside the classroom. The game is valid, for all of them takes up instruments class which is a co-requisite of vocals. The burden of the game lays upon the “receiver” because he or she needs to provide an accompaniment, whether or not he or she knows the song sung by the “passers”.

“…there are no passing or failing marks that will be given after the activity. It’s just a measure of your ability to hear musical patterns, and how you apply them in an actual performance.” BoA continued.

She then started calling names from the girls’ list.

The first group is composed of Seo Juhyun, Kim Taeyeon, and Jung Jessica. Lu Han thought that the activity for these girls will be quite easy, for they are very close friends and probably have been performing together on stage a lot. Their group decided that Taeyeon and Jessica will be the “passers”, and Juhyun will be the “receiver”, which was really not a surprise for she is among the best pianist in Chunnyeon Arts Academy.

Jessica started singing Whitney Houston’s song, “The Greatest Love of All”.

 

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children’s laughter

Remind us how we used to be

 

By the time that Kim Taeyeon started singing the second verse of the song, Seo Juhyun began to play the all-too-familiar song, a smile etching her face for she already knew this.

Everyone was stunned as Jessica’s angelic voice harmonized with Taeyeon’s controlled powerful one, both of them singing the chorus of the song; Seo Juhyun just incredibly playing the piano as usual.

 

I decided long ago never to walk in anyone’s shadow

If I fail, if I succeed, at least I lived as I believed

No matter what they take from me

They can’t take away my dignity

Because the greatest love of all is happening to me

I found the greatest love of all inside of me

 

As the three of them finished their performance, they were met by applauses from their classmates and professor as well. “Good job, girls!”

BoA then started calling names of male students who will be performing next: Byun Baekhyun, Do Kyungsoo, and Lu Han.

Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo have been waiting for this moment to come. It’s when their stars shine the brightest, when the two of them sing together, more than when they dance with EXO as a group. The both of them cheered up as they stood in front of class with the Lu Han, who was obviously nervous even if he had already performed in front of the whole school.

“What a great mix! I bet Mr. Baek and Mr. Do will be the ‘passers’, and this blind prodigy here will be the ‘receiver’. Am I right?” BoA asked, her perfect pearly white teeth smiling.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo nodded eagerly like two puppies being lulled by bone biscuits. Lu Han never had a choice but to seat down in front of the piano, and hope that the song that his friends will choose will be familiar to him.

Baekhyun cleared his throat and started singing, right after he placed and rested Lu Han’s fingers on the third octave of the piano.

 

Haruga machi ilbunchorom neukkyojige mandeulji
Nomanisseumyon yonghwasoge juingong

 

He looked at Lu Han, whose blind eyes stared back at him, as if telling I don’t know this song!

Baekhyun was now worried. Kyungsoo began his part of the first verse,

 

Nol borodallyoganeun eksyonsinirado jjigeulgot chorom
Nan machi yongungi dwen gotchorom

 

This time, Kyungsoo also looked at Lu Han’s direction, sensing that they chose the wrong song. Everyone in the room fell silent, anticipating what the blind student will do, for it was clear that he doesn’t know the song.

BoA then decided to give an advice, “I think it’s Lu Han’s first time to do this activity. Would you like to change the song?”

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo then proceeded whispering to one another, deciding what song Lu Han would be familiar with.

Everyone was shocked as Lu Han said “No.”

They all know that Lu Han’s piano accompaniment can do wonders. He just did magic back in the Mugunghwa Soiree, when he mixed up a classical sonata with a theatre musical pop song. They all felt excited as to what Lu Han will mix this time.

As opposed to what all were anticipating, Lu Han doesn’t have a plan on blending two songs. He’ll continue what Baek and Kyungsoo had started. He tried to recall how their smooth voices flowed through his ears. Closing his eyes, he tried to determine what the notes are, with just the first verse sung. He noticed a pattern, although he’s not quite sure of the whole song since it’s his first time to hear it.

Without everyone’s notice, Lu Han started playing the notes that he just guessed, hoping that he’s right. The melody of the improvised music filled the class room, and Baekhyun and Kyungsoo continued singing “What is Love”.

Non nege wanbyok
Sangsanghebwasso
Hamkkeramyon ottolkka Yeah
Nan noman gwenchantago malhejumyon modu wanbyokhe
Oh baby

 

I lost my mind
Noreul choeummannasseultte
No hanappego modeungoseun Get in slow motion
Nege marhejwo ige sarangiramyon
Meil geudewa
Sumaneun gamjong deureul lanwojugo bewogamyo
Ssaugo ulgo anajugo
Nege marhejwo ige sarangiramyon


Sesangnamjadeul modu nalburowohe
Noreul gajin nega jiltuna jukgennabwa
My babe, baby babe, baby baby
Nolaraboneungol
Ige sarangingolga
Aichorom nol jaju utgemandeulgo
Chingguchorom nol gajang pyonhage mandeulkkoya
My babe, baby babe, baby baby
Marhejwo nege What Is Love?

 

As Lu Han was pressing the keys, finally accompanying Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s singing, a thought suddenly struck him. The words of the song really dig through him as it fits his current situation. It was not until Baekhyun and Kyungsoo started singing the chorus and the bridge that Lu Han asked the same question as the title of the song. What is love?

It was Lu Han’s first time to feel like this, to feel too attached yet so far to another person. Before he reached adolescence, he never thought of such things, for he can’t picture himself falling in love. Who would pay affection to a blind person? He can’t see you, so there’s actually no point in trying. Lu Han had never tried until now….until he met Kai.

Kai, for Lu Han, is a puzzle he can’t solve. He doesn’t know his appearance, that’s for sure, for his eyes fail him to see Kai’s allure. But the splendour mixed with perplexity that comes along with Kai’s every slight and gentle touch, encouraging and pacifying words, had built the connection that Lu Han’s eyes failed to see.

I can’t love him. He can’t love me…

He doesn’t want to admit it, but the song itself yells the truth at him otherwise.

 

 

 

 “You did great!” Baekhyun cheered for Lu Han as they went out of their room.

Kyungsoo was again showing that gummy smile of his, “Yeah. It was amazing that you almost hit the right notes. You really are something!”

“He’s blind. And he plays the piano well. That’s his something!” Chen joined in.

The four of them parted as Baekhyun and Lu Han prepared for their preliminary exam on ballet class which will be held in the Chunnyeon auditorium tonight. Baekhyun needs to go to his group mates’ dorm for preparation, but he assisted Lu Han first in seeking for his own group mates. Unlucky him, they didn’t found where Kai is, but they found Sehun in the cafeteria.

Baekhyun was reluctant at first, he really don’t trust Sehun. But he have no choice, he needs to go to his own group.

“Don’t worry. I won’t bite Lu Han.” Sehun sarcastically said, as Baekhyun assisted Lu Han to Sehun’s table.

Baekhyun just huffed, “Just be sure. Or else I’ll be the one to bite you.”

Sehun made a face, teasing Baekhyun, “Ooooh! I’m so scared!”

“You should be.” Baekhyun started walking away, saying goodbye to only Lu Han.

When he’s finally out of sight, Sehun asked Lu Han if he wants a bubble tea. Lu Han nodded and Sehun got him one.

Sehun was back with the treat, “You ready?”

“I’m not sure if I’ll ever be ready. I’m not a dancer like you and Kai.” Lu Han sullenly said, sipping his drink.

Sehun patted Lu Han’s head, which by now had become a habit without both of them noticing it. Lu Han never cared about how his hair would look; it’s all sensitive to humidity, so it’s not a big deal that Sehun always ruin his hair.

“Don’t say that. Just do your best. And don’t put my and Kai’s effort in vain. Okay?” Sehun cheered him up.

Lu Han nodded with a smile, “Okay.”

 

 

The ballet dance class of Lee Sunghwan is now set in the auditorium. The different groups had prepared a lot, from their costumes to their concept and the actual ballet performance. Everyone inside inhales the same air, that one of pure competitiveness and perseverance to pass, therefore entitling them a spot in the most awaited first showcase of Chunnyeon Arts Academy.

Sehun and Lu Han are already there, together with their other classmates, but Kai was nowhere to be seen.

“Where is he?! He can’t sabotage us.” Sehun complained.

Lu Han hushed him, “He’ll be here. I know he’ll be here.”

He promised me…he promised me that I won’t fall…

Lu Han’s worry was lifted when Baekhyun approached him with his blabbers, “You look nice!”

“Don’t fool me, but thanks.” Lu Han left the fact that Sehun was the one who picked their costumes, for Baekhyun will just be annoyed.

Baekhyun was wearing a black leotard adorned elegantly with a lot of feathers, making him look like a raven. Their group will be doing “Black Swan”. Above it all, Baekhyun loves the dark eyeliner that he wears for the performance.

On the other hand, Lu Han was dressed in a simple yet shiny white leotard, as if partnered with the glimmering silver cloth of Sehun’s costume. His attire was made superb by the antler-like embellishment on his shoulder pads, making him look like the deer in the legend. Lu Han can’t see anything, but Baekhyun’s words of praise are enough to convince him that Sehun had done a great job at choosing their costumes.

Still, the wrapping feeling of the skinny ballet bodysuit is nothing compared to the baggy shirt of Kai that carries his scent…

 

 

Baekhyun and his group just finished their piece, which gained three minutes-long applause from the audience. Lu Han also clapped for his friend even if he wasn’t able to see him dance; nevertheless, he’s sure that Baekhyun did well.

Lu Han’s group is next to performing, but still, Kai is missing.

Sehun spent the last minutes of their spare time calling Kai by his phone, and when no one answered on the other line, he grabbed onto Lu Han who was seated beside him.

“Kai’s not answering. We need to change our concept. I’ll be performing on the first, then the two of us at the second pas de deux. Can you perform alone and do the last one?” Sehun hurriedly asked as their names are called by their professor.

Lu Han shook his head, his tears b on his eyes, “I’m not sure. I don’t know if I can.”

He’s now at the verge of falling down. He knows he’ll fail without Kai to guide him throughout the performance. But he left…he never made his promise. He let Lu Han fall.

Sehun hushed and comforted him. He wants to give Lu Han a hug, but he just can’t do so right now, with all of the panic of their nearing performance and the anger that rushes due to Kai’s insensitivity. Instead, he just patted Lu Han’s head. He should play this game fairly…

As their names were called again by Lee seonsaengnim for the fourth time already, Sehun assisted Lu Han to the piano, cheering him up. “Don’t worry. I’ll just do the adlibs to Kai’spart. Stop crying.”

Sehun left for the stage after wiping Lu Han’s tears with the back of his hand.

Lu Han started playing Beethoven’s The Hunt, but before the symphony fill the auditorium, one voice echoed down the walls.

 

“Lee seonsaengnim! I’m here…”

 

Lu Han was sure. It’s Kai.

 

He made it…

 

 

 

A/N: I used the following videos for the “Pass the Voice”

TaeSic “Greatest Love of All” performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Aj_H6Lwb0

Lu Han’s piano version of “What is Love” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDi_xWPY-Io