Chapter 5

WOLF

It was surreal.

 Lu Han had never thought that besides Ms. Park and the other kids in the orphanage, sometimes he as well, would appreciate his passion for piano music. Lu Han can’t see the crowd, how they cheered up for Chunnyeon’s blind student who just did wonders with the melodic keys, mixing two different and very distant songs from a classical sonata and an 80’s theatre musical. The students were just purely delighted, their doubts about the disabled youth being lifted. All of the instructors, the vocals and instruments in particular, kept their eye for someone who did an unusual and superb technique that they have not always seen in any Chunnyeon student’s performance. On top of that all, Lu Han tried his very best in struggling to keep his tears from falling, but failed as he was so overwhelmed with not what he sees, but with what he hears – the very pleasant sounds of hands applauding and voices cheering, which Lu Han had heard for the very first time in his entire life.

 

“That was daebak!” Kyungsoo cheered as he and Baekhyun went up the stage to fetch Lu Han who was still in tears, the party in the whole auditorium starting as students and professors danced with the music of a hit K-pop song.

“You said you just played piano! I never thought you could sing like that!” Baekhyun cooed.

“I don’t know, really. I just planned on playing Moonlight by Beethoven, my audition piece, just like what Kyungsoo advised.” Lu Han honestly said.

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s face is that of a mixture of awe and disbelief.

“But you sang like a pro!” they chimed, and to Lu Han’s ears their voices seemed to harmonize well, even if the two of them were not singing.

Lu Han felt his cheeks blush with the compliment and just flashed a shy smile. What he did back there… it was all because of Kai’s words. As he closed his eyes and played the all familiar notes of the sonata, he just pictured that he was there alone in the auditorium’s stage, behind the piano. With Kai’s words at the back of his mind, he did not perform for anybody, just for himself only. As he sang the song that was almost written for someone like him, he poured out his heart and its desires.

The other members of EXO were approaching them, congratulating Lu Han for his extraordinary performance in the Mugunghwa Soiree.

“That is such a wonderful way to end a performance.” Kris complimented, and for the first time, Lu Han haven’t heard the sarcasm which was natural in his voice. Still, he can feel those cold eyes staring at him, which never fails to make the blind student shudder.

Chen wrapped his arms around Lu Han’s shoulder, “We should make a duet on our vocal class, Lu Han!”

With this, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo argued for they also want a duet with Lu Han, starting once again a heated debate with Chen as to who has the best vocals among the three of them. Lu Han can’t help but smile at their innate competitiveness, which by now he realized, was a nature among the many students of Chunnyeon Arts Academy.

“Was that Irene Cara’s version you played?” Suho asked Lu Han.

Before Lu Han could answer, Tao retorted, “Nah. I think it was Naturi Naughton’s style. You know, with all of those high notes Lu Han had just belted.”

The question was left hanging for Lu Han was not able to answer, just listening to Suho and Tao argue on whose version of the musical was better.

“Lu Han, you’re lucky you’re blind.” Lay said with his still quiet voice, but quirkiness behind it.

Lu Han asked why.

“Don’t listen to him! He’s a big liar!” Xiumin shouted, grabbing Lay and covering his mouth.

The blind student just laughed upon hearing Lay’s muffled blabbers and Xiumin’s ministrations. Maybe it’s about his baozi cheeks again, Lu Han thought.

He’s there once again, surrounded by the varied personalities of EXO which makes the atmosphere very inviting. But at the back of Lu Han’s mind, his blind eyes have been searching for a student who he owes a lot to. Without him he would probably been eaten up by the uneasiness just before his performance, everyone witnessing his Chunnyeon dream shatter into pieces as he crumpled down the ground. If not for him, I might as well be packing my things by now…

 

 

Before Lu Han had managed to take hold of his courage and have his first conversation with Kai, the party was interrupted by the school head, him calling the mayor of Seoul, and all of the people inside the auditorium thought that he was just an ordinary guest speaker. Never did they know that what they will be hearing from the Mayor’s voice is far from just a welcoming and congratulating speech…

“Good evening, Chunnyeon Arts Academy.” The Mayor started, Lu Han in particular hearing the sorrow and longing in his voice. With all of those years of not being able to see things, just by hearing them, Lu Han had learned how to strain emotions from a speaker’s expression like how he learned to distinguish a sound of a piano key from one another.

“I would first like to congratulate you on this yearly Mugunghwa Soiree, which is successful as the past ones. It is inconvenient for me especially, to interpose the fun party, for I have a very sad news to deliver.” This time, Lu Han heard that he’s trying to not cry, like how he does whenever there’s an urge for him to shed a tear. He can also hear that the Mayor is struggling to keep the formality in his voice, despite the sadness.

The Mayor then reached for a newspaper inside his coat and read an article to the whole school, between coughs to regain his composure.

Last night, the daughter of Mayor Shin, faced a tragic death while she was on her way home from a social event.

Her corpse was found at a dark alley near the famed abandoned museum. Investigators said that blood was still spilling out from her veins and that her heart was gone. What made it harder for them to identify the killer's motive since scratches and bite marks could be seen on the victim's body. It's as if a beast had attacked her.

She was last spotted at a bloodletting event for patients suffering from leukemia. One of her friends who also attended the even stated that she always takes that route since it’s a shortcut to their house. She also said that she have never encountered any danger in that path even at a late hour.


Shin Yoonjo is well-known for being Seoul's little sister because of her very kind act towards the citizens and especially towards children. She is also an exemplary student of Chunnyeon Arts Academy who has contributed a lot of ideas for the improvement of theatre policies in Seoul.”

Everyone fell silent, for the second time this night. Lu Han had never thought that the Mayor of Seoul himself managed to read the news article about his own daughter’s ill-starred death. It must have taken him a lot of courage to do that, that same courage that Lu Han cannot manage to have.

Within minutes of the sorrow-filled air inside the auditorium, the mayor proceeded with his speech, giving thanks to all of the school head for accepting her daughter, Shin Yoonjo, in Chunnyeon, giving her the best years of her life, reaching her dreams and working hard for her craft. He also thanked all of Yoonjo’s classmates and friends, which earned a lot of sobbing from many female students. Lu Han doesn’t know this student personally, but he had encountered Yoonjo in a charity work in the orphanage, and he knows for sure that she has a kind heart. What monster could do that to her?

The Mayor’s farewell left the whole auditorium mourning, everyone in shock and grief for the model student’s death, for the loss of Seoul’s little sister. The supposed to be fun and celebrating night of the Mugunghwa Soiree descending as the whole place and everyone’s heart was filled with unhappiness. On top of that, the terror brought up by the death itself is enough for everyone to feel panicked and terrified, for an unknown beast now strays on the dark alleys of the well-lighted city. Seoul will never be the same: it will never be a safe haven for everyone with a beating heart.

 

 

 

All of the people from the auditorium left the building and went to no after-party. Instead, they went straight ahead to the safe borders of their dorm rooms and houses, even made it sure that they were in groups just to avoid straying the streets alone at the deep night.

Lu Han left with EXO and walked towards the men’s dorm building. As they were by the stairs where they will all usually part, the only voice that first spoke since the announcement of Yoonjo’s death belonged to Kai.

“We all need to talk. Midnight. Same place. Everyone.” He spoke with a firm voice of supremacy, making all of EXO nod their heads, still everyone kept silent and some hanging their heads low.

Baekhyun and Lu Han are now inside their dorm room, the ether of the auditorium still lingering.

“I don’t intend to pester about things, but what was Kai talking about?” Lu Han said carefully as he took off his school uniform and felt for his house clothes inside his closet.

Baekhyun was seated now on his bed, tempted to tell Lu Han about everything about them. But he hesitated before speaking, thinking that Lu Han might not be able to take all of it. “It was nothing, just something about our mistakes in the dance performance a while ago. You know, Jongin is a perfectionist when it comes to dancing.”

Lu Han believed him, never having an idea that it was all a lie. EXO never commit mistakes when they’re on stage. It was about their deepest secret.

“But isn’t it too dangerous to be meeting up late at midnight? The news article…” Lu Han was worried about his friends.

Baekhyun chuckled, knowing what Lu Han was talking about. “Don’t worry too much, Lu Han. We can handle ourselves. We always meet up during midnight, so no big deal.”

“Are you sure? What if…” Lu Han was interrupted by Baekhyun once again.

“Lu Han, we won’t be in danger. I promise.”

 

 

As the clock struck twelve, Baekhyun silently left their dorm room, his blind roommate sleeping soundly inside, mindless of his surroundings and deep in dreamland. Baekhyun took very light steps out their dorm room, and pranced across the school and out in the dark streets of Seoul. He strolled without much hindrance, for Baekhyun’e eyes are always adjusted to darkness and dim light. It’s inborn. It’s in their nature.

As Baekhyun reached the Gothic gates of the one famed abandoned museum in the city, he first checked his settings for people possibly looking. After he’s sure that no one was there, he backed up for inertia and jumped up the gates, his short limbs grasping the gate’s rusty old bars for support. Without much force exerted, he climbed up and landed down inside in his fours. Baekhyun dusted off his pants, cursing the tarnished giant lock closing the gates. I hate Lay for not agreeing in just destroying this stupid lock. For God’s sake, this pup hates climbing!

An agitated Baekhyun ran for the wooden doors of the museum, which creaked as he pushed it open, showing how really old it was. Within the small space, he found it easy to go inside with his tiny frame, unlike the others who use the back door which was more functional (except for him and Kyungsoo), or for some ill-tempered one like Kris and Jongin who just breaks down a pane on the ceiling-to-floor windows for easier access. No one will ever notice, by the way.

As usual, Baekhyun was late. But this time he has a logical reason for coming later than the usual, for he still had a roommate to take care of.

 

 

 

They were all already inside the abandoned museum, gathered under the light of the moon reflecting through the shattered glasses of the windows, casting an unusual shadow covering their calm and serene faces in the dark night.

 

 

 

EXO. The best dance group by day. The most savage werewolves by night.