Chapter 1

WOLF

Lu Han was born a happy kid, always smiling to every people he sees. Or he meets, for he was blind since birth. His inability to see did not hinder him to live a pretty decent and normal life. Yes, it was hard; imagine a blind teenager struggling with all of the changes that has been happening in his physical and emotional state, alongside the sometimes cruel disposition of the society. But it seems like God did not let Lu Han live such a tragedy, for He had blessed him with innate abilities. Lu Han has the best sense of hearing and smell among all of the blind people in the world which makes him a superhuman, or as what his caretakers and fellow orphans in the orphanage say to ease him during nights of his self-pity.

“Are you ready for your big day, Lulu?” asked Ms. Park, the head of the orphanage where he grew up.

“Yes, I am! I’ve been waiting for this opportunity ever since I learned how to play the piano.” Lu Han eagerly said, adjusting from the comfortable chair that he was sitting. He always loved this place – Ms. Park’s office. He spent a lot of times here, for the head mistress always want to hear him play the grand piano. It seems like a very long time ago, his little version struggling with the correct keys and distant notes. But now here he is, feeling like a bird inside Ms. Park’s hands. In any moment, he’ll be able to fly towards his long-time dream.

“I wish you the best of luck. Are you sure you’re gonna be okay?” Ms. Park asked, a hint of doubt in her voice. And with Lu Han’s super sensitive hearing, he just knew what exactly to do.

Reaching for the hands of Ms. Park, Lu Han assured, “I’m going to be alright, Ms. Park. I’ll be the best pianist that this orphanage ever knew. I’ll strive hard to make you proud. You’re like the mother I never had, and all of those kids waiting for me outside are my little brothers and sisters.”

With his words, Ms. Park breathed a sigh of comfort. She knew for sure that Lu Han will do well. She knows the rawness of his talent. With a tight hug, they let each other go, signalling Lu Han’s departure to his new school; his first formal schooling, actually, for he spent all of his years in this institution and learned a lot from it. Ms. Park and the other volunteers served as good teachers, but still there will come a time that they will send them to a normal school, just like what they did to Lu Han.

The moment Lu Han got his approval letter from Chunnyeon Arts Academy, the oldest yet most famous school of performing arts in the city of Seoul, the whole orphanage celebrated with joy. The gold envelope was delivered late in a cold winter night, and no one was expecting that it will ever come, as if Lu Han’s dream that comes with that letter will just freeze and fade away. By the time that Ms. Park knew that it was a letter from Chunnyeon Arts Academy, she immediately called for an office meeting with Lu Han. Lu Han, who has no idea of what’s to come, nervously opened the door. It might be the approval letter from Chunnyeon, he thought. And he was right, as Ms. Park read it to him. He got admitted to the Special Class of Performing Arts, a special privilege for a talented youth in Korea. Lu Han cried a lot that evening, and it was tears of joy that he shed, unlike those that he shed whenever he felt like a useless person. From that moment on, Ms. Park had been very busy of fixing Lu Han’s accommodation to the school: his class schedule, the dorm where he’ll stay, the approval of the Student Organization to assist a person with disability in the confines of the campus, his uniforms, his health insurance, and the school bus that will fetch Lu Han to and fro the orphanage every time he wants to visit. It was all she can do to help make Lu Han’s dream of being a pianist come true.

As the honk of the Chunnyeon school bus was heard from Ms. Park’s office, Lu Han waved his goodbyes, both to Ms. Park and his fellow orphans. Some of them were crying, he can hear them sobbing and sniffing, and Lu Han reassured them that he’ll visit from time to time. He’s gonna miss them so much, their voices and giggles early in the morning. All of them had been very good to him. As much as he hated to leave this wonderful family, he really desires to reach his childhood dream. He also wants to be independent. A blind person can do that, right?

“Kids, wish me luck! Hyung will do his best.”

With those words, Lu Han boarded the school bus carrying his backpack full of clothes and music sheets, struggling to keep his tears from falling. He can’t cry now. I promised a friend that I won’t cry.

 

 

 

He got inside the vehicle with the help of a student, of course. It’s not that he hates it, but he feels really awkward when someone’s helping him. Not all disabled persons need help, and the orphanage taught me how to handle myself, he mentally bickered only to himself. In fact, the student might really want to help, so no big deal. Besides, Ms. Park had an agreement with the Student Council to make sure that someone will assist me.

He feels awkward on the skin contact, although the student’s hands were velvety soft. Maybe it’s just his body’s natural prompt towards someone he does not know besides the people inside the orphanage. Lu Han will never be sure.

“Hi! I’m Byun Baekhyun. And you are?” the student who assisted him almost shouted with pure glee.

“Lu Han.”

As Baekhyun assisted Lu Han to his seat in the school bus and made himself comfortable beside the new student as well, he continued asking him a lot of questions that Lu Han thought of him as a news anchor instead of a student in Chunnyeon.

“So you’re the blind student…” Baekhyun hummed.

Lu Han was surprised, but he nodded nevertheless. They know about me?

“By the way, I’m going to be your dorm buddy. And I’m also the one who will assist you whenever you need help. That means we’re automatically friends now, okay?” Baekhyun pinched his new friend’s face on the both side. Lu Han felt hot on his cheeks. He’s certainly sure that it was close to blood red, good thing he can’t see it.

“How long have you been blind?”

“Since birth.”

Baekhyun was shocked, and Lu Han was sure that his facial expression is so funny. Again, a good thing that he can’t see it for he will laugh really hard. At that instant, Lu Han liked Baekhyun and agreed that they were friends.

“I’m sorry to hear that. How old are you, by the way?” Baekhyun continued his questions.

“Seventeen. I’ll turn eighteen in April.”

“Oh. Advanced happy birthday!”

At that, Lu Han laughed at Baekhyun’s fondness. He really found a new friend.

“How’s life in the orphanage?”

Lu Han was quite surprised at the sudden topic change. “It was fine, but sad most of the time. Especially if a fellow orphan will be adopted and will be taken away by his new family.”

“Do you feel jealous at times?”

“No. Adoption was not really a big thing for me. Who would adopt a blind child?” Lu Han can’t hide the sarcasm in his voice. Although he really loved Ms. Park and the other volunteers in the orphanage, it’s still different if there’ll be a family to accept him.

“I would.” Baekhyun held Lu Han’s hand, feeling sympathetic of his new friend’s story.

A short moment of silence loomed inside the vehicle.

Lu Han smiled at Baekhyun, “Thanks.”

Baekhyun’s warmth is enough to keep Lu han feel at home. He’s like Hunnie, my childhood friend. I wonder where he is now.

 

 

 

For almost half an hour, Baekhyun kept on talking to Lu Han until they finally reached their school – the prestigious Chunnyeon Arts Academy. Although Lu Han can’t see it, he really feels that this is where his dream will come to life. He can literally feel the energy coursing through his nerves. A while ago inside the school bus, he almost felt jittery and nervous, if not for Baekhyun’s blabbering that he almost pissed in his pants. But this time it’s different. It’s as if his first time to really feel excited. This is it!

Baekhyun helped him get off the school bus, and he also promised Lu Han that he’ll take him around the campus for the new student to at least memorize where the classrooms, cafeteria, comfort rooms, and auditorium are from their dorm room.

Their dorm room was on the first floor. Thanks to Ms. Park who requested this kind of setting for Lu Han’s comfort. Without even seeing it, Lu Han’s sure that their dorm room was cozy and large enough for two students.

“Woah! I’ve never slept in a big bed before!” Baekhyun jumped up and down his bed like a child with an ADHD.

He then dragged Lu Han and asked him to join his jumping session.

As the two of them laughed and jumped like two little kids enjoying the moment and the big dorm room, all of it sank to Lu Han…

 

My dreams are finally coming real. My life will never be the same.