Chapter 23

FOREVERMORE...

 

Sunday morning came. Still in her bed, Okai slowly opens her eyes. She looks around, observing her surroundings. She sits up and looks at her window, seeing sun rays, showering her room. She gets off from her bed then goes to her study table. Her eyes caught the calendar, hanging on the wall. She goes near to it and noticed that it’s already December 17, her birthday. Then she remembers she and Yuto planned, that they will go on a date to celebrate her birthday.

 

She falls on a thought. How will they celebrate it now…? If Yuto is still mad at her. She feels guilt again, as she lowered her eyes.

 

She stops from thinking when her eyes caught a red paper bag beside her bed. She goes to it and slowly picks it. Inside is a pair of gloves that she already finished knitting and will give to Yuto as a gift for Christmas.

 

She thinks again. How can she give it to him now…? Will Christmas come to them… being together?

 

Okai hugs the paper bag, as she closes her eyes, stopping the tears that are threatening to fall.

***************************************************************************

Okai decided to just go downstairs. And as she goes down, it seems quiet. When she was about to reach the end of the steps, Old man Kitagawa showed up, carrying a cake with candles on it.

 

“Happy Birthday to you… Happy birthday to you… Happy birthday, Happy birthday… Happy birthday… to… you ~” the Old man sang.

 

Okai can’t help but smile and goes near to her Grandpa to blow the candles in the cake. After blowing it, she let a wide smile, which made the Old man smiled too.

 

They got to the dining table where the Old man prepares the food that he made for Okai’s birthday. And as the Old man busy preparing; Okai turns her look at their wall clock. It’s 10:00 in the morning. There’s still more time to prepare for her and Yuto supposedly date.

 

She turns her look again to her Grandpa and let a smile.

****************************************************************************

They are now watching in the living room, when Okai glanced at their wall clock again. It’s now 3:0o in the afternoon. She is supposed to meet Yuto at the plaza for their date at 4:00pm. She looks at her Grandpa, who’s laughing and enjoying the show in the T.V. She feels hesitate to stand up but then managed and walks silently to the stairs, then upstairs. Old man Kitagawa noticed her and just follow her by his eyes.

 

After minutes, Okai goes downstairs in a white dress for winter, holding a red paper bag, containing the gift for Yuto.  Old man Kitagawa sees her. He became move and stood up from a sit.

 

“Okai, are you going somewhere?” he asked in curious.

 

Okai let a nod. “I’m going to meet with Yuto at the plaza… we are suppose to meet up there.”

 

The Old man became stop as Okai continues to leave.

 

“Okai… is he going to show up…?” the Old man uttered, looking at her back.

“I told him that I will celebrate this day with him… so, even if he doesn’t show up…” she looks back at her Grandpa. “At least I’m waiting for him there, ne?” she delightedly exclaimed yet, deep inside she doesn’t know if Yuto will show up or not… and she feels really sad thinking that.

 

She turns back and continues to leave. The Old man follows her outside… she’s now going outside the gate. He feels worried about her as he still follows her by his eyes, walking away from his sight. Then a cold breeze touches the whole him.

‘It’s going to snow… I think…’the Old man thought then goes back inside.

 

As Okai walks, going to the plaza, her mind is full of thinking what will happen today… Will Yuto show up…? Well, she doesn’t care… she can’t just give up… she have to know what will happen to today… even if it’s going to be hurt. She embraces herself as a cold wind passes to her… then she looks up.

 

‘It seems like it’s going to snow ne~’ she muttered in her thought as she continues on walking.

*****************************************************************************

Snow is now falling, as Okai sits on a bench, waiting for someone. She looks around, seeing a crowded of people passing her. Then she gazes down… thinking that the person she’s waiting for, will not come and celebrate that important day with her. She sighed and a smoke cause of the cold came out through her. She’s been waiting there for almost half hour… and she feels really cold yet, enduring it just to see him.

 

A girl from a distance was stopped to see Okai sitting on a bench, as cold due to the snow falling, comes to their senses. She goes to her and Okai still doesn’t notice her presence…

 

“Chisa-chan…?” the girl assured, when she got near to her.

 

Okai looks up and sees the girl, standing in front of her.

 

“F-fukushiba-san…” she only uttered.

“What are you doing here…?”

 

Okai lowered her eyes. “Waiting for… Yuto.”

 

Maggie’s eyebrows got furrowed. The face of crying Yuto because of fright is still clear on her mind… so, how come that Yuto will come to meet her as easy like that. Maggie just lowered her eyes because of that thought.

Then she managed to looks at Okai again. She sits beside her.

 

“Yuto told me… about your condition…”Maggie started.

 

Okai became move, without looking at her side.

 

“How much is it true…?” Maggie asked.

 

Okai let a weak smile before to speak. “I guess… I can’t deny that FACT now ne ~” she muttered and looks at her.

 

Maggie shows a startled face as she sees Okai, smiling while looking at her. She already knows about her condition yet, it still gave her a bit shock, after hearing it… directly from her. She gulps to control her emotion.

 

“Then don’t expect that Yuto will come here to see you, huh?” she pretended a smirk, as if it doesn’t affects her.

 

But Okai shows a bright smile as she shook her head. “I’ll wait for him… because I do trust my LOVE for him.”

 

Maggie was stopped after hearing that. She took her eyes from her and became silent. Okai noticed it and just properly sit, not looking at her.

 

“I will take YUTO away from you…”

 

Suddenly, Maggie uttered. Okai just looks at her with no idea. Maggie managed to looks at her too. They are now reading each other’s eyes.

 

“Chisa… I’ll definitely take YUTO away from you!” Maggie cleared, with firm on her voice.

 

Okai didn’t show reaction and keeps looking at her. After, fighting Okai’s look… Maggie took a deep breath. Okai follows Maggie by her eyes, as she stands up from their sit. Then Maggie turns back, looking down at her. Still Okai doesn’t show any expression in her face.

 

“I’ll definitely take him back!! If…” she pauses for a moment. “If you don’t fight that sickness!!” she continued.

 

Okai didn’t show reaction on what she heard from her yet, deep inside she’s really amazed on what she said. Maggie bent to reach Okai’s shoulders.

 

“Chisa-chan… Gambarou!” Maggie said and let a smile.

 

Okai’s eyes got spark. “Fukushiba-san…” she only uttered.

 

Then Maggie started to leave. As Okai follows her by her eyes… she managed to stand from a sit.

 

“Fukushiba-san! Arigatou!!” she shouted in a distance.

 

Maggie looks back with a smile. “You know what!! You will wait there for nothing if I didn’t show up!! So, you must be really thankful to me, Chisato!!” she shouted back too.

 

Okai didn’t show response anymore, as she keeps looking at her. Then Maggie smiles again and continues to leave.

 

‘Yuto... you’re such an idiot. I didn’t let you go to be end up like this… mou…’ Maggie said on her thought in annoy. As she keeps on walking, going to Yuto’s house.

*****************************************************************************

As Maggie got to Yuto’s house, Mrs. Nakajima easily let her in and allows her to go in Yuto’s room, as having a close relationship to the family.

 

Maggie slowly opens his door, wondering why it isn’t lock as before. As she goes inside she sees him, lying in his bed with blanket, covering all of him.

 

“Ohhh… as I thought, you’re still on your bed… sticking your .” Maggie muttered in a tease.

 

But Yuto didn’t show response, as he faces the wall, covered with a blanket. Maggie let a sigh and sits on chair, looking at Yuto.

 

“I thought you’re going somewhere…” she started again, waiting for his response, but still Yuto didn’t move at all.

 

“I met someone on my way here… and she said she’s waiting for you….” she added, still waiting for his response.

 

“It’s Chisa…”

 

Yuto became move from his bed, when he heard what Maggie said. He immediately sits up and looks at the calendar in his wall. He became silent as he lowered his eyes. Maggie noticed it.

 

“So… you really have plan with her this day… yet, here you are… sinking yourself in to sanity…” Maggie said, looking at him, observing his expression.

 

She fixed herself in her seat. “You know what Yuto… as I talk to her earlier… I don’t feel like she has sick at all.”

Yuto slowly looks at her. “She’s letting this smile… while saying “I’ll wait for HIM”… yet, she’s waiting for nothing.... but those smiles of hope are still there, the hope that you will come is still there… And you know what, now that I see you… thinking what I saw to her earlier… it seems that you’re the one who is sick! Yuto… in what I see to you right now… it seems that you’re the one who’s dying here….” Maggie continued.

 

Yuto’s expression became startled and just lowered his eyes, still controlling his emotions inside.

 

“Yuto… do you know how she can smile like that… even in that condition…? That’s because of YOU! And just by hoping that you will come… is enough to make her smile. But for how long, huh? For how long will you keep her waiting there…? Yuto, there’s still more time and hope but you’re just giving it up all.”

 

She pauses for a moment, seeing him controlling his emotions.

 

“It’s not the Yuto that I known for almost 10 years… Because… whenever I cry and hurt… Yuto doesn’t give up until he eases my pain… But…” she was stopped to control the tears that are threatening to fall.

 

She remembered the days when Yuto sees her, crying in a corner and no one can stop her from crying… except for Yuto, who will just pat her back and she will just automatically stop from crying. That’s because she love him… that whatever Yuto do she will end up with a smile.

 

After a silence. “But… even Chisa showed those smiles to me earlier… she still feels pain. And she needs you… and I know that… you need her too.” She continued and a tear came out through her one eye.

 

She immediately wipes it for Yuto not to see then she composes herself.

 

“But… I’m scared… I-I’m scared…” suddenly, Yuto cried.

Without any thought Maggie goes to him and hugs him as Yuto still crying out. He’s really crying hard.

 

“Yuto… I’m sorry but I’m not the one who can stop your pain. But… you know and I know… who that someone is…” she said, as she keeps hugging him.

 

Yuto became calm and just let a sobs. “Hora!Hora!” suddenly, Maggie exclaimed when she let go of him.

 

“I didn’t let you go… to be end up like this ne~ dakara… Yuto! Fighto ~”

 

Yuto let a smile, still with tears. Maggie turns her look outside the window.

 

“Yuto… the cold outside is not good for heart conditions…” she uttered in blank.

 

Yuto looks outside too. It’s snowing really hard… he became move and immediately grabs his coat and runs outside.

 

Maggie just follows him by her eyes. ‘I let him go… once again… but, I don’t feel hurt at all. Maybe because… he showed me his best smile once again… even though I’m not the reason behind that smile…’ she said on her thought then let a smile.

 

She followed him outside.

*****************************************************************************

‘Chisa… I’m sorry for being a coward… I became scared thinking that you will be gone to me… I became selfish… I became afraid of being hurt… I didn’t think about what you will feel… I’m really sorry.’

 

Those are the words that Yuto wants to say to Okai, as he runs through the street, going to fight for his love.