Chapter 21

FOREVERMORE...

 

Yuto intertwined his hands, as he waits outside Okai’s room, in the hospital. His phone rings… at first, he didn’t pay to answer it because his mind was on Okai, but he managed to answer it

“H-hello…?” his voice was in tremble.

“Hello, Yuto?” It was her mom.

“Okaasan…” Yuto just uttered.

“We’re going there right now… ne? So, wait for us. How is Chisa-chan?” Mrs. Nakajima’s voice was in a hurry.

 

Yuto gulps before to speak. “S-she’s still i-inside…” he can’t control his tremble.

 

“Okay… Yuto, calm down… okay? We will be right there…” ended her mom.

 

Right after Okai lost her conscious, Yuto became alarm and immediately held her, going to the near hospital and he didn’t manage to approach his family about it. So, it was then, when he already got to the hospital with Okai, his family knew what happened.

 

After their conversation, Old man Kitagawa and Keito showed up. When Yuto noticed them, he immediately stands up.

“Grandpa!” he called.

 

The two immediately goes to him. “Nakajima-kun… what happened?” Old man Kitagawa asked in worried but calm.

 

Suddenly, the doctor came outside. Old man Kitagawa turns his attention to the doctor and also Keito.

“Kitagawa-san… Okai-chan is fine now… but, she will need more rest than before because her condition wasn’t it is like before…” the doctor informed.

“What… do you mean…?” the Old man slowly uttered in a low voice.

“It’s getting more serious, Kitagawa-san…”

 

The Old man feels weak on what he heard from the doctor. He weakly walks inside Okai’s room, without saying anything back to the doctor. The doctor just sighed and started to leave. Keito immediately follows the Old man inside in worried. Yuto, who did not hear the doctor said, goes inside the room too… still not knowing Okai’s condition.

*****************************************************************************

“Grandpa… I’m sorry if I became careless. We’re just enjoying our time working on our farm and I didn’t get aware that she’s going to be tired and fainted.” he straightly explained, thinking that what happened to Okai was just a minor case.

“Work…?” the Old man just uttered. “But I thought… she’s just in your house.” he added.

 

Yuto became move. “Grandpa… didn’t she tell you that we’re going to our farm?” he asked in innocent.

 

“BAKA!”

 

Keito, who’s controlling himself since earlier, blurted. Yuto was stopped and slowly looks at him.

 

“Why did you bring her there? Why did you let her work?! Don’t you know that she’s not capable to do such exhausting works!?!” he continued in piss.

 

Yuto shows a startled face, as he keeps on looking at him. The Old man just gazes down… he feels Keito’s reaction.

 

“I-It didn’t came up to my mind—

“It didn’t come up to you?!”

Yuto was stopped, when Keito started to speak again. “You’re her BOYFRIEND… right? So, how come that you aren’t aware of her condition huh??!” he added.

 

Yuto doesn’t show response. “And why you’re not aware that something worst might happen to her, if you let that happy-go-lucky side of yours!!?” he added again almost in shout.

 

“Wait… worst? Something worst might happen to her?! Like what…?” he emphasized then asked, he’s now confused.

“Like dying…” Keito murmured while looking straightly at his eyes.

 

Yuto’s eyebrows got furrowed. “Nakajima… Okai has a heart disease and it’s now getting more serious…” he intentionally said, avoiding the sight of the boy in fronts of him.

“Okamoto!!” the Old man exclaimed but he’s late… Keito said it to Yuto already.

 

Suddenly, Okai slowly opened her eyes, hearing something around her. She sees her grandpa in his guilt expression then turns her head on her side… seeing Keito facing Yuto, with his serious expresion. She immediately got the mood and sits up. The Old man looks at her in startled.

 

“Actually… even if I don’t tell this to you… you must know it already…” Keito started again and looks directly at him. “You supposed to know it first before me… because you are the BOYFRIEND, right?” he continued.

 

Yuto can’t believe what he’s hearing right now… but his mind is already observing what Keito is saying.

 

“So… does it shows that you’re not worthy… as her boyfriend?” he added, he’s now hitting Yuto, with his intentional words.

 

Okai on the other side gets off from her bed in weak. Old man Kitagawa tries to stop her but she insists. She started to walk forward on them.

 

“You are not aware in anything… and yet… you’re acting like a boyfriend?!” Keito sarcastically added.

 

As Yuto gazes down, he heard a slap. He immediately looks up and sees Okai, standing now between them. He turns his look at Keito, whose face is thrown and red. There he knew that Okai slapped him.

 

“Mou, YAMEROU (Stop)!!” Okai shouted.

 

Keito’s eyes widened as he slowly looks at her. “You have said enough!” Okai added in tears. Suddenly, Keito shows a guilt expression and gazes down.

 

Okai slowly turns her look at Yuto, behind. After a long silence… he started to leave the room, without uttering anything. Okai immediately follows him outside; leaving Keito in guilt… the Old man on the other side let a deep sigh, thinking about what’s happening to them now.

*************************************************************************

“Yuto! Wait! Let me explain…!” Okai called, as she tries to catch him.

 

He stops and turns back at her. “Explain?! Is there something more to explain about…? Huh, Chisa?!”

 

Okai became silent with tears, continuously rolling to her face. “That guy already blurted it out! Now… all I want to know is… do you have plan on telling me this?” Yuto added.

 

Okai slowly shook her head in tears. “W-why..?” Yuto asked with crack on his voice.

 

“Because I don’t want you to be worried…” she murmured.

“What the heck was that?! Of course I have the right to be worried! I have the right because… I am your BOYFRIEND.” He emphasized.

Okai became silent again but her tears are continues. “You know what… Okamoto-kun is right. I’ve been useless to you… as your boyfriend. I haven’t been aware of your condition… yet, I’m still letting a smile when I’m with you, without knowing the truth behind you.” he added, controlling his emotions.

 

“But that’s all I wanted to be! Seeing you always happy… being with me… without thinking about my worst condition…” she said.

 

“Until when… Chisa? Until when will I let a smile like those…? Do you expect me that I’m still letting a smile, if the time that you will be gone comes? Still, without me knowing it?”

 

Okai slowly gazes down, still in tears. “Chisa… I’m sorry to disappoint you but, that will be the most pain I will ever have!” Yuto ended up in tears also.

 

“And you know what I totally feel right now…?” he started again. “I feel like you will be taken away from me… bit by bit… and I can’t be able to do anything but… just to let you go…”

 

“But Yuto… I’m still here in front of you! Why are saying things like that?! I will be always here for you,.. I won’t leave you.” she said in tears.

 

“Until WHEN, Chisa?! Don’t you think… you’re being UNFAIR enough?! Saying things like that yet… you will end up leaving me” Yuto blurted and started to leave in tears.

 

Okai can’t believe what just happened and continues to burst in tears. She turns back and was about to leave but, she stops to see Keito standing in front of her. He’s going to approach her but Okai stops him by her hands then continues to leave, ignoring him.

*************************************************************************

As Yuto leaves the hospital, he gets his phone and dialed a number.

 

“Okaasan… don’t come here anymore.” He said in blank, still teary.

“Eh?! Why? We’re almost there now… Is Chisa-chan okay now?” asked her mom on the other line.

 

Yuto let sigh. “Yes… so, don’t worry now.” He lied.

 

“Okay… do you want us to fetch you?”

“No… I will be home soon.” He ended up,

 

Yuto stops for a moment and looks back; thinking about what happened… especially Okai. He feels guilt yet, hurt. He continues to walk, leaving the hospital.

 

‘Chisa… I’m scared… I don’t know why… but I’m scared…’ he said on his thought as he continues to walk.