Chapter 19

FOREVERMORE...

 

Last day of the festival came. Everyone gets busier as the previous days. As Okai was about to enter their room, carrying a tray, she sees Keito standing in a distance. He smiled at her and she smiled back too.

 

“I’m just checking if you’re doing good…” he said.

“I’m doing GREAT…” she emphasized and continues inside, leaving him with a weak smile.

*****************************************************************************

Night came and it’s time for their float parade. Everyone is wearing a kimono as they stands on a line. Yuto is having a hard time, searching for Okai, when someone pokes his back. He looks behind, seeing Okai smiling. He feels relieve and holds her hand, taking her to the line, where their section is. Okai’s face is in blank as Yuto holds her hand, while they are walking with the class. He noticed her silence and looks at her. Okai’s noticed his look and looks up to him. Yuto’s eyebrows got furrowed. Okai read his expression and just shook her head then smile, telling that she’s fine. But, Yuto’s worried look is still there.

 

The parade is now ended and all of the other sections started to build the big bon fire, for the last day of the festival celebration.  Okai is blankly sitting on a grass, when Yuto goes to her.

 

“Chisa, Let’s go?” he said, as she pulls her to stand up.

 

Okai became move and just looks at him then she turns her look to the student who’s now dancing around the big bon fire. She looks again at Yuto, seeing him smiling. She goes with him, going along with the other students on a dance.

 

As they got with the others, Yuto held Okai’s hand, facing her back and they started to sway with the others, circling the big bon fire. Okai let a smile, feeling Yuto’s warmth chest on her back.

 

“Aaah...! It feels great…!” Yuto blurted, loud enough to be heard by the others.

Okai became move and looks up to him, while continuing the dance. Then Yuto looks down on her.

 

“I’m so happy… doing this dance with you.” he uttered; sparks can be seen on his eyes.

 

Okai let a smile. “I am too…” she uttered.

 

“Ne, Chisa… I hope everything will be going to be great like this… forever.” he continued, now without looking at her, sincerity can be trace on his voice.

 

Suddenly, Okai was stopped from moving. Yuto stops too and noticed her became silent. Okai looks away on him, thinking what he said earlier. How will things can be great like this… if the thought of her, dying is still there. She wondered. Yuto just watches her, being in silent.

 

“C-chisa…?” he uttered, there’s a worried on his voice.

“Yuto…” she started in a low voice and looks back at him. Her eyes are now in tears. “What if… there are no such things… like forever.” she continued.

 

Yuto’s eyebrows got furrowed as he looks at her crying. “I mean… what if there will be no forever in us…” she added, tears continue to burst.

 

Yuto’s expression got confuse, as he was about to touch her. “Yuto, what if… I’m not your forever?” she added again with crack on her voice, she’s hardly crying.

 

Yuto gets teary for no reason and immediately holds both of her arms. “Chisa… what are you t-talking about…?” he said in tremble.

 

Okai looks up to him, in tears. “The tone of your words is like… you’re breaking up with me…?” he added.

 

“It might… end up… like that.”  she murmured, as she looks down, avoiding his sight.

 

Yuto feels crack inside him and became froze for a moment, when he heard that to Okai. When Okai hears no response… she just walks away in tears, leaving him in silence.

Yuto slowly looks at her, leaving. He can’t believe that everything will turn out like that… in those previous days that they are together and just earlier… they were happy… really happy as if they are the happiest people around. But Okai just blurted something like that… that made his world blow up in just a moment. He feels weak and was about to lost his balance but then just manage to walk away, in tears.

****************************************************************************

Keito saw the whole thing happened between Okai and Yuto. As Okai leaves in tears, he hid himself behind a tree. He found the right timing to follow her. They ended up on a storage room. He sees Okai, hardly crying. Okai noticed his presence and looks in his way. Keito just let a weak smile…

 

“Even you’re crying like that… you still didn’t tell him, right?” he said as he goes to her.

 

Okai gazes down as tears continue to bursts on her. “But I hurt him… I still hurt him…” her voice was drowned by her tears.

 

Keito pats her head. “I’m sure that he won’t just easily accept what you have just said. Tomorrow for sure… that idiot will ask for your acceptance… like a crybaby.” he kidded in his serious voice.

 

Okai gave him an innocent look. Keito just let a chuckle, trying to ease her worries. But, Okai just gazes down and tears started to falls down again.

 

“Keito… why does it need to be me… why I should be the one suffering this damn sickness!!” she blurted in a crack voice, tears keeps falling.

 

Keito gave her a hug that made her stop for a moment. “Okai… we’re still waiting for a donor to come… So, don’t talk like there is no hope, ne? Don’t talk as if you’re going to die just easily…” he said in tremble, controlling his emotions, as he keeps hugging her.

 

Okai became calm a bit; sobs can be heard from her. She feels his warmth that made her at ease a bit.

*****************************************************************************

After walking home with Keito, Okai enters their house in blank. When she got to the living room, she sees her Old man sitting on the veranda, looking from nowhere. Suddenly, she feels soft and wants to approach him but still, she’s hesitating. The Old man noticed her presence and was about to look behind, but Okai immediately runs to him and hugs his back, resulting of him, not facing her.

 

“I’m sorry Grandpa! I’m really really sorry!!” she cried, like a kid, still hugging her Grandpa’s back.

 

The Old man let a smile. “I’m sorry too… just promise me that together we will fight, huh?”  he said, eyes became teary.

 

He’s talking about Okai’s disease and the thought that Okai might just give up on her condition.

Okai just let a nod. She’s now ready to fight… not only for herself… but also to those people who surrounds and loving her. Especially… for Yuto.

**************************************************************************

Another morning came for school; Okai goes outside their house in her usual self. He made Keito in surprised. She’s now showing a bright smile, as if that she’s not suffering in to something. Keito just let a wide smile, watching her walking in delight.

 

“Before I forgot…” she uttered and looks back at him. Keito stops from walking and looks at her. “Ohayou!!” she exclaimed in glee and runs, heading first to him.

 

Keito became move, as he watches her running. “Chotto! Matte, Okai!!” he exclaimed, worrying that she might overdo herself. But, Okai just looks back at him, laughing. He was move by it and runs with her laughing too.

*************************************************************************

When Okai got to their room, her eyes automatically search for someone. When her eyes finally caught him, she goes to her place with no reaction. As she sits, Yuto on her side looks at her. But Okai doesn’t bother to look back. Yuto feels worse and just gazes down. Okai glances at him in the corner of her eyes. But Yuto looks again to her that made her flinch. Suddenly, she feels bad too and gazes down.

 

“Chisa…” he called in weak and Okai became move by it.

 

He took a breathe before to continue. “I just can’t accept it…” he uttered as he looks at her.

 

Oka slowly turns her look at him. “Me too, I can’t accept it… I’m sorry.” she uttered and let a smile.

 

Suddenly, Yuto became teary and pouts like a child. Okai let a chuckle. She faces him.

 

“What’s with that face, Yuto?!” she exclaimed behind her chuckle and wipes Yuto’s tears.

“I just thought that you’re going to break up with me…” he said, acting a like child, crying.

 

Suddenly, Okai became teary too as she slowly shook her head, letting a weak smile. “Yuto… I will die first… before breaking up with you.” she pauses to realize something.“NO… even if I am about to die, I won’t break up with you.” she murmured, as she  touches his crying face.

 

Yuto stops from pouting, as his eyes widened on what she said. Without a thought, Yuto suddenly hugs her. And Okai just let a smile. They stayed like that for a moment and were seen by their classmates. They started a noise… teasing them. But they just don’t care… As long that everything is okay now between them, except the fact that Okai is still suffering from her real condition.