Chapter 17

FOREVERMORE...

 

After 3 days and 2 nights staying at Hanazawa Beach, it’s time for class 3-D to leave. As Okai packs her things, she feels something on her. She touches her chest… feeling unusual pains again. After packing, she managed to go outside. Yuto sees her and helps her, bringing her big bags. As they were about to enter the bus, Yuto noticed her, unease. 

 

“Chisa… what’s the matter?” he asked.

 

Okai looks up to him and shook her head. “Nothing…” she lied, letting a weak smile.

 

Yuto just follow her by his eyes, as Okai gets to the bus. They are now sitting inside, when Okai feels weak. She turns to Yuto, who’s quietly sitting beside her.

 

“Ne… Yuto.” Yuto looks at her. “I’m sleepy…” she uttered in a weak voice. Yuto just smiled and puts her head on his shoulder. It lessens Okai’s pain, as she feels Yuto’s warmth shoulder.

 

Then Yuto sits comfortably, wondering why Okai gets sleepy fast in this morning. ‘Is she was not able to sleep well… last night?’ he thought, not knowing about her true condition.

*****************************************************************************

When they got to school, Yuto walks Okai home. Weakness can still be trace on her. They stop by their gate.

 

“Thanks for walking me home, Yuto.” she said and was about to enter.

“Wait, Chisa.” Yuto called and she looks back. “Are you sure… you’re alright?” he asked in worried.

 

Okai let a weak smile. “Maybe I’m just tired… so, I will just give myself a rest.”

 

Yuto goes to her and give her a kiss on her forehead. Okai let a natural smile, as if she’s not feeling anything.

 

“You should be…” Yuto uttered and pats her head.

 

Okai continues inside and waves at Yuto by the gate.

*****************************************************************************

Okai sees Keito in their living room, when she got inside their house. Keito welcomes her with a smile, as he goes to her.

 

“I heard that you will be home this morning so, I hurriedly came here to greet you… Good morning!” he said in delight.

 

Okai let a weak smile. “Gomen ne~ Keito-kun. I feel so tired that I can’t entertain you for now… I’ll just rest first ne?” she said and goes upstairs.

 

Keito just follow her by his eyes. As Okai walks upstairs… she feels numb, touching her chest. She can’t totally breathe.

 

Suddenly, Old man Kitagawa came out from the kitchen. Keito turns his look at him.

 

“I heard my Okai’s voice… is she here now?” the Old man asked.

“Yeah, Kitagawa-san. She goes—

 

Keito was stopped when he points to the stairs, seeing Okai, touching her chest while gasping for air. He became move.

 

“Okai!” he blurted.

 

It made Old man Kitagawa in alarmed and turns his look to the stairs, seeing his granddaughter, unconscious. They immediately go to her.

*****************************************************************************

Okai slowly opens her eyes. She observes her surrounding… it’s quiet. She slowly gets up… still in weak. She looks around again. She’s in a room and as she sees… she’s in a hospital room. She remembers what happened last night. ‘Does it really normally happens to me now…?’she asked on her thought. She finds her Grandpa but, he’s not inside the room. She gets off the bed and goes outside.

 

She sees Keito, sitting on a couch outside. Suddenly, Old man Kitagawa came outside from the doctor’s room.

**************************************************************************

Keito immediately stands up, as he sees the Old man coming.

 

“What is the doctor said, Kitagawa-san? Is Okai alright?” he asked in tremble.

“For now… Okai will be alright, Okamoto-kun.” The Old man said without looking at him. “But if we can’t find a donor for her…” suddenly, there is now a crack on his voice.

 

Keito’s eyebrows got furrowed. “What do you mean…? Kitagawa-san? Why do we need a donor for Okai… ne? What’s her real condition?” there’s still a tremble on his voice.

 

Old man Kitagawa became teary as he looks directly at Keito.

 

“Okamoto-kun… Okai has a heart disease and urgently needs a donor… or else…” the Old man burst in to tears.

“Or else what? Kitagawas-san?!” Keito blurted.

 

Suddenly, he noticed Okai presence in a distance. Her eyes are now in tears, as she heard everything her Grandpa said.

 

“O-okai…” Keito uttered.

 

Old man Kitagawa looks at her way too in tears. Okai immediately leaves and Old man Kitagawa hurriedly follows her. Keito was left in blank.

************************************************************************

“Okai… wait!” the Old man exclaimed and grabs Okai’s arm.

“Since, when Grandpa?” she started in tears. “Since when did you know about my condition!!” she blurted.

 

The Old man just gazes down, avoiding her sight. “Since the day you got a checkup…” he uttered.

“That long?” she sarcastically blurted. “Grandpa… do you have plan on telling me this?” suddenly her voice became calm.

 

“I don’t want it to affect your daily life… so, I decided that I’ll tell you this if you already has a donor.” He explained.

“Now that there’s still no a donor! How do you expect what will happen to me, huh?” her voice was drowned by her tears. “Even if you doesn’t tell me about this… it will still affect me, haven’t you realized that Granpda?!”

 

The Old man doesn’t dare to look at her crying granddaughter. He feels really guilty.

 

“You lied to me! You made me believe that everything is going on well to me now… and just earlier… I realized that I’m going to die without me knowing it… I’m going to LEAVE you, Grandpa without me knowing it…So, what do you expect on me now?! Huh?! That I’m still just letting a smile while experiencing those unusual pains again? Without even knowing my own true condition?” she straightly said, bursting in to tears.

 

“Don’t you think… you’re being UNFAIR?” she continued and started to leave in tears.

 

The Old man was left in agony, feeling regrets.

*****************************************************************************

Okai is sitting on a bench at the hospital’s roof top. She’s still thinking what happened earlier. She feels regret too. She can’t believe that she said those things to her Grandpa. As an elder, she must respect him and yet, she blurted things like that on him. Suddenly, she gets teary again.

 

Keito showed up. He sees Okai sitting in depress. He goes to her. Okai noticed someone’s presence and looks behind her. She sees Keito standing there. She let a weak smile as Keito sits beside her. There is a silence between them for a moment.

 

“Ne… Keito.” She started. Keito looks at her. “Can I have a request…?” she asked, without looking at him.

“What is it…?” he asked too.

“Please don’t tell about this… to Yuto.” she said and looks at him.

“But, Okai… he has the right to know.”

 

Okai slowly shook her head. “Please just do it for me…” she said and let a weak smile again.

 

Keito just looks at her in sympathy. Then he looks away, controlling his emotions. He can’t believe Okai’s true condition. Why sometime she gets unconscious? Why she experienced those pains? Is because of that… because she’s already sick. Not an ordinary sick… but she’s now experiencing a serious one. He gets teary because of that thought. But, Okai holds his trembling hand. He looks at her and Okai just let a smile.