Chapter 22

FOREVERMORE...

 

Evening at the same day, Okai is already brought to their house. As Old man Kitagawa prepares for dinner, he peeks at Okai, who’s looking from nowhere in the veranda. Old man Kitagawa let a sigh and decided to approach her.

 

“Okai…” the Old man called for her attention, when he got beside her.

 

Okai slowly turns her look to her Grandpa. Weakness can be seen through her eyes as its get teary.

 

“Too much emotion… is not good for your condition… and you know that.” The Old man continued, as he looks at her in pity.

 

Suddenly, the tears that she’s controlling since earlier… rolls down to her cheeks. And she can’t help but to burst it out.

 

“Grandpa… I really hurt him…! I really hurt Yuto…” she murmured, as tears continue to burst in her.

 

“Yuto has the right to know about it, Okai. But… you didn’t let him.” the Old man said.

“Because… I thought that if he will know about it… he will going to leave me…” Okai almost whispered in tears.

“That’s not what I see earlier in his reactions, Okai…”

 

Okai stops sobbing for a moment and looks directly at her Grandpa.

 

“Okai, the way Yuto reacted earlier… shows that he just love you that much! That he can’t accept the fact… that you’re suffering in your condition and might end up… leaving him.” the Old man continued.

Okai became silent. She felt it too. The way Yuto speaks in tears earlier… she felt it. Old man Kitagawa noticed her silence.

 

“You do not trust his love… towards you, am I right?” the Old man started again.

 

Okai became move and the Old man noticed it.

 

“That’s why you’re afraid to tell him about your condition… is because you’re afraid that he might leave you…. then Okai, you do not trust his love, do you?”

 

Okai seems awakening in to something. Is it true? I do not trust him….? But, I’ve been loving him… is my love doesn’t mean the same as trust? She wondered. Tears continuously started to burst in her again. She feels regret for not telling her condition to Yuto. She feels regret that she didn’t trust his love… She feels regret that… she hurts HIM.

 

Old man Kitagawa watches her hardly crying, for a moment. Then he managed to hug her… knowing that she already realized the wrong she did. He keeps caressing her… as Okai continues to cry.

**************************************************************************

Another morning for school came, Okai goes to school early… without her always , Keito. She still not feels to see him or talk to him. That day when Yuto walked out, after knowing her real condition is still clear to her. And she blames Keito for that… but actually; she’s really the one who has to be blame. But… Keito broke his promise and that makes her really sad…

 

Okai was about to sit in her chair when she noticed her side is vacant. Yuto should be the one, occupying there, of course. But… he’s absent…? 

 

Suddenly, she feels guilt again and sits blankly in her chair. She took a glance beside her again... then slowly turns away.

 

Maggie, in a distance, noticed the mood in her, as she looks next in Yuto’s vacant seat. Then her eyebrows just furrowed… wondering what’s with the two.

*****************************************************************************

Lunch Break came; Okai leaves their room, alone. Unlike before… Yuto will be always the one pulling her in delight, outside their room. And they will end up to the roof top, happily eating their lunch. But now…

 

Okai just closes her eyes, stopping her thoughts.

 

After eating alone on the roof top, Okai goes downstairs. She was about to reach their room, when Keito showed up. Okai was stopped and just looks at him.

 

“Ne, Okai… I went to your house to fetch you. But you already left…” Keito started.

 

Okai just looks away, avoiding his sight.

 

“Okai… why did you just leave without me… huh?” he asked in innocent, as if he’s not aware in her mood.

 

Okai shows no response… then she started to leave, ignoring him.

 

“Okai! Are you still mad?!” Keito stopped her.

 

Okai looks at him in piss. “He’s now absent! So, what do you think huh? That I can be okay with that?! Knowing that he’s absent because of me?! Because of what happened?! Huh?!” she blurted.

 

Keito became silent and just gazes down. Suddenly, Okai becomes teary.

 

“Keito, Isn’t it clear when I told you… “Promise me you won’t tell it to him”? she emphasized.

 

Keito shows no response, as he keeps on gazing down, avoiding her sight.

 

“Keito, you PROMISED me! Haven’t you?! What happened to that…? And you don’t just only told him about my condition… you mock him! You told him lies, like he’s not a boyfriend to me! And you know that it wasn’t true!” there’s now a crack on her voice, as tears continues to fall from her eyes. “You know that I love him! And you also know that he loves me too! So, why?!?” she continued.

 

“But where he is now…? Okai?” Keito suddenly uttered, without looking at her.

 

Okai was stopped and Keito managed to looks directly to her.

 

“He’s now absent, right? He just runaway after knowing your real condition. Okai… he already left you… he’s now being a coward for not facing the truth. Because you know what…? He thinks that if that condition of yours continues… you might be a burden to him. So, he just decided to go away from you, starting today…” he continued, enduring Okai’s feelings.

 

Suddenly, Okai slapped him. Not only once… but three times. Keito holds both of her hands to stop her.

 

“Okai! Just accept it!” he blurted.

 

Okai let go of his hold. “Keito, you’re so rude! You’re so mean! Why are saying hurtful things like those?! Huh?! What did I do to you to make me hurt like this?!” she blurted in tears, as she gave him slight punches on his chest.

 

“Nothing, Okai… the only thing that you did is… you make me fall in love with you.” Keito uttered, eyes get teary.

Okai was stopped and looks up to him.

 

“And even if I say those hurtful things to you many times… I will do that! Just to make you realize… that he’s not worthy for you… but I am! I am Okai…” 

 

Keito ended up in tears and Okai still doesn’t show response. She just looks away… her mind is still observing everything he said. Then she just gazes down, sobs cannot be hear from her anymore.

 

“Okai… Just for you! I will do anything. Going back here from England? I did! Just to be with you… Following you here in this town?! I did! Just to be with you… Enrolling to the same school as you?! I did! Just to be with you… And Okai, I want you to know… everyone may leave you… but I’m always being here for you. I won’t leave you Okai… now that’s a promise.”

 

That’s a long confession from Keito, but still Okai didn’t show response, as she keeps on gazing down. After a bit silence…

 

“That can’t be a promise, Keito…” suddenly, Okai uttered in blank, still gazing down.

 

Keito just looks at her.

 

“You know what… I’ve always wanted to hear that from you, when we’re still young.” she let a weak smile before to continue. “But… you just left me. All alone, Keito… with these feelings for you... and you know what….” she managed to looks up to him. “I waited for you to come back… but, unfortunately… I fell on a thought of “JUST GIVE UP”. “ she emphasized, tears started to fall from her eyes again.

 

Keito doesn’t show response, as he keeps on looking at her.

 

“And just then I realize… that I’m getting use to it. Spending my days… without you, I’m getting use to it. Now I realize…. that feelings  can be change too, when they are left alone…”

 

After hearing those from her, Keito became guilt that he can’t even face her. Okai let a weak smile, after hearing nothing from him.

 

“Now… that’s my ANSWER to your so called PROMISE.” She said.

 

There was a bitter part on her voice, when she said it. She started to leave him in silence, but tears have no silence in Keito’s eyes.

*****************************************************************************

Maggie stops from walking, when she reached Nakajima’s residence. She’s going to pay Yuto a visit… since, he didn’t attend class earlier. Mrs. Nakajima is the one who opens the gate for her and let her inside.

 

“Obaachan… how’s Yuto doing? He didn’t attend class earlier…” Maggie started when she got to their living room.

 

Mrs. Nakajima let a worried face. “I don’t know too, Maggie-chan… but since yesterday night, he still doesn’t go downstairs.”

 

Maggie just wonders and looks upstairs.

*****************************************************************************

“Yoh~!” Maggie greeted, when she jumped in, in Yuto’s room in surprise.

 

Yuto, who’s on his bed became startled and immediately stood up.

 

“How did you enter here?!” he exclaimed.

“Uhmm… it’s simple! I used a key!” she smirked.

 

Yuto just frowns and lies again in his bed, covering himself a blanket, ignoring Maggie. It annoys Maggie and grumpily pulls his blanket that made him fell on the floor.

 

But, she became stop to see Yuto, in his one arm over his forehead. Maggie grabs his arm away and sees his teary eyes. He’s just looking at the ceiling…

 

“Y-yuto… what really happened, huh? What’s going on with you…?” Maggie asked in worried.

 

Then a tear falls from his eye. Maggie became move and gave him a smack on his head.

 

“I’m asking what happened?! I’m not a fortune teller you know?! I cannot guess why you’re now crying… So, tell me!” she annoyingly blurted.

 

“C-chisa…” he started to utter with crack on his voice. “Her heart is in a bad condition… and she might end up dying…” he continued and he burst in tears, like a child.

 

Maggie was stopped from what she heard but, she found herself… hugging the crying Yuto.