Chapter 25: Sunggyu's Mission

Secret Assassins

 

If anyone was counting the days that Kyuhyun was missing, it definitely wasn’t Sunggyu. He had lost track with the amount of sleepless days he had since the disappearance of the boy. With each passing day, his body grew more and more exhausted. To him, it was just one long day put together.

 

 

It had been a few days since his last conversation with Woohyun. The man had promised to call him back to explain everything but nothing came through. If he was calling, Sunggyu’s phone received nothing. From waiting for Kyuhyun’s return and Woohyun’s call, Sunggyu felt his mind go crazy. It was too hard for him and the forced holiday of a week from the higher ups was something Sunggyu was happy and upset with. Happy he was able to rest his body but the constant bore and lack of things to do made him unable to take his mind of the two he loves the most. Worry was constant and he’s sure this given holiday is doing more harm than good.

 

 

“Please…Hyun…Call me…” Sunggyu begged as he lay on his side on the shared bed of his and his lover. His phone was resting on top of his palm, close enough for his eyes to spot any activity straight away. The detective chose to abandon the pillow, resting his head directly on top of the untouched and perfectly made bed. The covers no longer smelled like Woohyun, evident of his long disappearance. Just to make it seem less so, Sunggyu had opted to spraying the other’s cologne all over the house, focusing mainly in the bedroom where he’s now holed himself in. He lets his eyes close for a bit, feeling the exhaustion take over his body when a ring of his doorbell strikes him.

 

 

“C-Coming!” Sunggyu shouts to the floor below in hopes that the person standing at his front door can hear him. The lack of use of his voice caused his to stutter slightly but his words come out loud and clear as he fumbles his way out his bedroom and down the stairs. Sunggyu does well to not trip on anything as his steps get faster with familiarity. Part of him wants to hope but he knows it can’t possibly be his lover or Kyuhyun. They both know the pin to the house and if not, they have an emergency key which meant the doorbell was never used for the two.

 

“Yes?” He says, opening the door as soon as his body is close enough to open the piece of wood that blocks the person from the outside to his home. A silence is what he is met with followed by emptiness as there is nothing, no one to greet him on the other side. Leaning out, he looks around the property to see if the person had gone around the back after a long wait for someone to come to the door. However, once again nothing catches his eyes and for a while he debates whether it’s just him hearing things from the lack of sleep. Sighing, Sunggyu weaves his hand through his hair. Just as he was about to close the front door, he spots a white envelope sat directly on top of his door mat. It doesn’t even take a second before the envelope is in his hands, slamming the door shut before making his way to the living room.  

 

 

 

Attn:/ Acquaintance of Cho Kyuhyun

 

 

 

In a handwritten, almost Victorian like writing, the black ink shows these letters. He takes note that the letter is not your usual letter as it’s a little on the heavy side and that it’s thicker than normal. Immediately the detective’s heart drops. Quickly and rather messily, Sunggyu rips open the envelope. In a fit of clumsiness, the contents of the letter fall out and scatter all over the living room floor. Flustered, Sunggyu rushes to pick them up only realising what the envelope contained.

 

Photos of Kyuhyun unconscious and possibly drugged in different angles over the course of what Sunggyu guess is a couple of days were what was scattered out. He does his best to choke back a sob as he looks through them on by one, analysing it as he went along. The photos showed the boy’s condition get worse throughout the days once the detective was able to put them in order. Amongst them, the pictures of Ahra are shown in similar light. All expect one. The singled out photo shows the girl on her side with a blood of underneath her.

 

 

 

‘She’s dead…’ Sunggyu thinks, falling back onto the floor as his legs give in on him. With shaking hands, he picks up the picture of the once cheerful girl so full of life and stares a little longer.

 

He takes in everything even though he hates it, even though it hurts him because he knows Kyuhyun is probably hurting worse than he is at this very moment. The colour of her blood and body tells the detective the photo was taken right after her death. It doesn’t show but the cause of death is most likely by gun shot as blood is not spattered around and is concentrated in one specific area. Once the main part was finished, he looks at the bigger picture to figure out where they might be. He doesn’t get far as the shot is focused more on the girl with her figure taking up ¾ of the photo and the only thing Sunggyu can see is grey and black. For a minute, he feels the need to give up as his body tell him sleep is needed but for one last hope, he turns the photo around. Right there, was his ticket to save Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

2 days, 9:05am

XXXXX Warehouse

Come alone or the boy dies.

 

 

 

In that moment all of Sunggyu’s senses are woken up. He feels stronger and more determined as he finally has the goal in sight. He reads the note over and over again making sure to have the place and time lodged in his head. Part of him worries for the third and last sentence but with Woohyun out of contact for days, Sunggyu has no choice but the keep the man in the unknown. He knows it’s dangerous to go without back up or without informing anyone but Kyuhyun’s life is in danger and he would give up anything and everything for the younger to be safe.

 

 

“I’m so sorry Hyunnie, I’ll come back safely.” He says to no one as he steps up to return back to his bedroom. Though he shouldn’t really be feeling this way, the rush of exhaustion overcomes him and for once, Sunggyu knows he’ll able to fall asleep. After all, he’s going to have to prepare himself for a one man recovery mission in two days.

 

That night the man dreams about his lover, his beloved dongsaeng and he feels as though they are there with him.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Woohyun freezes upon seeing his lover standing outside the door leading to the warehouse. A thousand questions flow through his mind, too fast for him to even realise what they are. There is a wave of panic in the room as the team wonders why on earth would Detective Kim be there and how does he know where and what time be go? They want to erase the thought of having a spy but it doesn’t fully leave them as suspicion grows by the second.

 

 

 

“Zoom in on Detective Kim.” Woohyun orders the other as he’s still standing from the shock of what had just happened.

 

 

 

“Yes, Chief!” Sungyeol’s screen is enlarged, taking up the majority of the large wall screen. As he is ordered, he zooms onto the detective, punching a few keys to sharpen the image. By this time, all of the other officers have their heads up, looking at the large screen as they wait for the focus to arrive. Eventually they see the other clearly and they are 100% sure it’s indeed Detective Kim Sunggyu. Once again more questions arise but everyone chooses to keep their mouth shut.

 

 

 

“Is he armed?” The Chief asks as he holds himself up with his hands as the palm rests on the white desk.

 

 

 

“Yes, with two handguns and a bulletproof vest. Any other possible hidden weapons are/could be concealed.” The tallest replies as he finishes his analysis the screen intensely.

 

“Should we call in for retrieval?” Before Woohyun can reply, Sunggyu is seen rushing into the building.

 

 

 

“NO!” Woohyun shouts as he almost leaps into the screen.

 

“Yunho ssi, we have a detective inside the building. Please wait until further instructions.” He says to the leader of the Y.C.K and received confirmation for the other immediately.

 

 

 

“Roger.” Yunho looked slightly back to catch a glimpse of his younger brother. A nod was all he could make out from his placing. After hearing what Woohyun had to say, the voice he had heard calling Kyuhyun’s name made sense. It was hard but he waited for a signal or an opening to make sure this mission was going to be successful.

 

 

 

“Myungsoo, put Yunho ssi’s camera up to the screen.” The chief ordered, beginning his long string of orders. His resolve came stronger by the fact that his lover was now thrown in the mix and was in one of the most dangerous positions.

 

 

 

“Yes Chief!” Quickly, the screen was replaced from the front of the warehouse to the night vision goggles of Yunho. Hearing this, the assassin put himself in a position that would be able to see Kyuhyun’s location a little better.

 

 

 

“Hoya, Sungyeol, why was Detective Kim’s vehicle or movement not recorded on CCTV? Find out the cause and fix it! Sungjong, keep a close eye on the current surroundings of the building and monitor the camera lenses thoroughly.

 

 

 

“Yes Chief!”

 

 

 

“ Any suspicious activity, Dongwoo?” He asks, not taking his eyes from the large screen as he did so. Scanning the surroundings, there was not much he was able to see from where they were.

 

 

 

“No Chief. I will be conducting a once around and analysis of the camera’s to see if any has been bugged for special measures.” Each of them began focusing back to their individual monitors. They began to review each camera they were in charge of, running security checks on each of them as well as on their whole device.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun! Are you ok, please, please answer me!?” Sunggyu’s voice was desperate and Yunho decided it was best to move a little close to see what was going on. He signalled to Changmin that he was going in and for the younger to stay back. Though he wanted to reject the order, Changmin did as he was told by staying behind. Light steps came as he made his way closer to the entrance of the warehouse. He could hear the mutters and groaning of those in the warehouse more clearly.

 

Their silence came for no more than a minute but Changmin was already feeling restless. The orders were not coming in as they had hoped. Finally, the youngest broke.

 

 

 

“Should we move in?” The youngest asked, keeping his gun to the front. There had been no movement from within the warehouse which made it all the more fearful. Never in his life had he hated being in charge more than today. Choosing between duty and love was one that he knew he would one day have to do but that day was not meant to be today. He bit his lip, hard, enough to draw blood as he began weighting in the pros and cons. The other 5 intelligence officers waited for an order into their nest advancement. What came next was not what they were expecting but it was for the best.

 

 

 

“Mission abort.” Woohyun announced, words hard but somewhat lifeless. He slumped back into his chair, back pressing against the cold hard leather as he looked up to the ceiling to stop his tears from falling down.

 

“Sungjong, get me my equipment.” He added, not tearing his gaze from where he was focusing. The others looks back in protest, knowing that the mission was too much for the chief to handle it alone.

 

 

 

“Chief, let me go with you.” Hoya proposed, standing up from his seat in the process. Wooyun opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by Myungsoo.

 

 

 

“CHIEF! There is movement in camera Jung 2. Jung Changmin seems to be moving!” The raven called with hurry.  Quickly everyone turned to look at the large monitor as it was replaced by both Yunho’s (Camera Jung 1) and Changmin’s (Camera Jung 2) were present on the screen. Yunho’s was stationed, overlooking the same scenery as they saw a moment ago just before they called off the mission whereas Changmin’s began shaking, blurring all the surroundings as it made a forward dash towards his target.

 

 

 

“GO!” They heard the eldest assassin’s voice call out to his younger brother.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Sunggyu stood there in shock as his image in front of him was more horrid that he had imaged. There, Kyuhyun was head down clearly in pain with a man that Sunggyu knew only on the television screen and by name. The light groans and small movements of Kyuhyun’s chest told the man that the younger was alive but he wondered when in time would the small body finally give out. It scared him but he tried to remain courageous.

 

 

 

“Park Minjun.” The detective called out to the man with disgust and loathe. His eyes hardened as the man in gave a smirk in reply at the mention of his name. It wasn’t until then did Kyuhyun look up from where he was to meet Sunggyu’s presence. It took a while, the callings from before had fallen on deaf ears. Once, twice, he blinked to focus his sight and when it came to him, his eyes widened to an incredible size.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu hyung…” He managed to croak out not after falling into a fit of painful chesty coughs.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun! Don’t worry; I’ll get you out of there!” He smiles as he takes out a gun in his right and a large dagger in his right. A stampede comes his way from all entrances and what he’s met with is more men in his way of rescuing Kyuhyun. Slowly, the smile from his lips disappear and all that it left is the eyes of determination.