Chapter 18: The Mistake Of A Lifetime

Secret Assassins

 

 

Her cries echoed the empty room. It was cold, damp, smelled of sweat, dirt, blood and . Hair covered most of her face, sticking to her sweat covered face as her unclothed body hung lifelessly on the wall. Her wrists were red and bound together. A heartless, broken chuckle came from her lips before another slap met her face, giving yet another painful sting. However, her body was numb; her face no longer felt the pain the men inflicted upon her. It was as if she had given up completely. Life was nothing more than a wall blocking her from escaping this hell.

 

 

“Now tell me, ! Where the is Cho Younghwan?!” The man shouted in a somewhat composed manner. Time was something that was long forgotten in this place. The woman was surprised to see how the man was holding up. Though, she knew, it was only a matter of time before she broke him. After all, she was not one to give in so easily.

 

 

“Over my dead body!” She spat on the man. Her saliva dripped down the man’s cheek, releasing a new rage through him. Never once did someone as low as the in front of him ever disrespect him so. Never has anyone refused him like this. Never…has he been so powerless.

 

 

“NOW YOU’VE DONE IT!” The man shouted angrily. A whip met her bruised skin, cutting the first few layers of skin with it. She cried out, feeling the icy cold leather tear her skin without any mercy. Her scream echoed through the empty room.  She hated being able to hear her own voice in such a state but it didn’t bother her much. She had a promise to fulfil and she wasn’t going to let him get away.

 

 

“!” She screamed, feeling another whip down the back of her leg. She gasped in pain, letting her body fall. Her weight fell onto her wrists which held her up. Other than that, nothing properly supported her body. It was now mangled together, dangling lifelessly. It was obvious, they were broken. She had to be careful in case her hands were to disconnect completely. The brunette prayed it didn’t.

 

 

“Now tell me.” He reverted back to his calmer voice. She stared upwards with her eyes, just about managing to catch the man’s face through her bangs.

“Where is Cho Younghwan?” His breathing was a lot quicker after working out a sweat by continuously bringing the whip back and forth onto the lady in front of him. He brushed his bangs back, letting the sweat and grease of his head hold it in place.

 

 

“You’ll have to kill me.” She replied harshly. The lady had no feelings for this ‘Cho Younghwan’. He could be right In front of her with a noose wrapped around his neck hanging from a beam for all she cared. But she couldn’t allow Woohyun to be exposed to the dangers he could face if Cho Younghwan’s hideout was released to the bastards who were trying to find him. For him, she would do anything.

 

 

“Fine. It that’s how it’s going to be, so be it.” She closed her eyes, ready to take the shot. Did I do you proud? Her last thoughts stuck to her. BANG!

 

 

Female, Female, Female, Male, Male

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Sunggyu had come home after an excruciatingly long day. Nothing seemed to go him way. Missing people seemed to pop up from every corner. That he didn’t mind since it was his job to investigate those cases. What did annoy him was that the people who were reported missing were found after a couple of hours a few miles away from where they were last seen! The cases were filed away, leaving Sunggyu to fill in all the paper work that was needed.

 

 

 

“I’m home!” Sunggyu exclaimed. He waited a bit for an answer but there were none. It was the norm for him as Woohyun, with his position, tends to come home a lot later that Sunggyu, that’s if he did at all. However, an empty house was no what he was expecting. Kyuhyun should be here… He ran up without a second word to where the boy usually would be at. Kyuhyun’s room showed no signs of life. Sunggyu continued scowling through the rooms and furniture that Kyuhyun’s thin body could fit through.

“Kyuhyun?! KYUHYUN!” He was starting to get worried. Nothing. The boy was nowhere to be found. The detective searched everywhere but the young boy wasn’t there. Kyuhyun’s phone was out of service and there was no other means to connect to him. He let his body flop onto the sofa, letting out an exhausted sigh. He reached for his phone, dialling his lover’s number.

 

 

*Ring-ring. Ring-ring.*

 

 

 

“Come on…Pick up!” The ringing tone continued till the phone cut itself off. An uneasy feeling began twirling around his stomach. The young detective gripped tightly onto his phone, begging for the line to connect.

 

 

 

*The person you are calling is temporarily unavailable, please try later or leave a message.*

 

 

“Woohyun…Please…Pick up.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Woohyun entered the hidden lair through its large double doors. A man greeted him with a low grunt, titling his head as if giving him an order. Following the man’s actions, Woohyun lifted his hands, showing there was nothing there as another man went in to search his body. They pulled out his wallet, car keys and mobile phone before placing it in a plastic bag for collection later.

 

 

“Go in. He’s been waiting for you.” The large man spoke.

 

 

“Thanks.” Woohyun tided himself up, dusting away at his shoulder of his suit and levelling out his shirt after the search. Using his hands, he swept his hair back to the side. He had to make himself presentable as he was going to meet him. He was led to another large door this time painted red. They opened from the inside, welcoming him in. With one deep breath, he entered.

 

 

“Thank you for the hard work, Woohyun.”

 

 

“It was my pleasure.” The man walked forward to engulf Woohyun into an embrace. He didn’t return the affection, knowing it wasn’t in his status to do such a thing. The hug lasted no longer than a couple of seconds before the middle aged man let go. He moved his hand onto Woohyun’s shoulder, patting it slightly as if trying to praise him. The young Chief didn’t dare make eye contact. The man released the other from his grip, turning around to walk back to him chair with a light spring in his step.

 

 

“So where is my son?” A question the Chief was dreading to answer. The usually calm Woohyun suddenly stiffened from the mention of his son. He had made a mistake. He had miscalculated an action which caused him dearly. He had failed his mission.

 

 

“Please forgive me Sir!” Woohyun quickly knelt down. The speed of his action caused his knee and the floor to have a hard impact. The sound echoed loudly in the room, only to elongate the chief’s action.  The middle aged man slowly turned around, confused by Woohyun’s action. The boy he trusted not to fail this mission.

 

 

“What are you trying to say?” The corner of his eye and lip jerked to the side, twitching as the young man spoke. Woohyun kept his head down, scared for his life. Never has he felt such a wrath. Never had he felt so much fear. Even when he had a gun pointed at his head, he had never felt anything like he was feeling now.

 

 

“The young master was taken away. We were ambushed by s group of thugs while I was making the journey here.” Angered and raging with emotions, the middle aged man stuck Woohyun on the face. The hard strike led the younger to fall to the ground, his face red as ever. The man continued to hit Woohyun, only this time using his leg to kick the Chief on his stomach. Woohyun didn’t try to shield himself as he knew how badly he had failed the other.

 

 

“THEN…WHAT…ARE…YOU…STILL…DOING…HERE!?” The man shouted with each kick. Woohyun grunted from the pain. Sitting up once the man stopped to take a break.

 

 

“Lady Ahra… They have her. They wanted me to tell you.” If one bad news wasn’t enough, the second one was enough to send the man into a whole new level. He grabbed Woohyun by the hair and whispered closely to his face.

 

 

“I don’t care if you lose an eye or an arm. GET THEM BACK!” Just then, the sound of the doors opened. A middle aged woman running towards the direction of where Woohyun was with tears in her eyes. The man let go of the Chief, pushing his away.

 

 

“YOUNGHWAN!” She shouted.

“AHRA, KYUHYUN! MY BABIES!” She cried. Woohyun stood up and stepped aside to let her through. Her tears streamed down her face uncontrollably as the man held her.

 

 

“It’s going to be alright we’ll get them back.” She pushed herself away from hr husband, meeting his face once again.

 

 

“NO! ARHA! THEY… THEY KILLED HER!” She screamed, falling to the floor. Woohyun’s eyes widened from that statement as he stepped forward to the lady.

 

 

“Mrs Cho. What…? What did you just say?”

 

 

“WOOHYUN! THEY KILLED AHRA! THE PEOPLE WHO TOOK HER!” She took out of her and passed to the detective. There was a video which was opened of an abandoned warehouse. Woohyun pressed the play button, watching as the scene unfolded.

 

 

 

“KYUHYUN! KYUHYUN! WHAT’S HAPPENING? PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING TO HIM!” The video started. It was obvious to whose voice it was. It belonged to Kyuhyun’s oldest sister, Cho Ahra.

 

“So you’re Cho Kyuhyun.” That voice Woohyun recognised. It was the thugs who had attacked them when Woohyun was escorting Kyuhyun back to the hidden lair.

 

“And so if I am?” Even in this kind of situation, Kyuhyun remained somewhat calm. However, Woohyun knew how the boy was. He was panicking on the inside, not knowing what his next action was going to be.

 

“It’s almost time hyung-nim.” Another voice spoke. This was a voice Woohyun didn’t know and wasn’t present during the raid.

 

“Don’t look away.”

 

“ you.”

 

“You know, I like feisty ones but you, my dear, is something totally different. Let’s see what you’re going to do now.” Woohyun heard a clicking sound. It was the sound of the safety being turned off.

 

“Wh-“ A gun shot was heard.

 

“NOONA! WHAT THE DID YOU DO?!” Kyuhyun cried.

 

“Sorry boy. You threw yourself in some nasty . It was your fault for getting too deep. You should have known from the second you got yourself stuck in the same room as that lady.”

 

 

The whole room remained silent as the video finished. Woohyun’s heart began beating at an abnormally fast rate. Ahra was killed. The sweet, loveable Ahra was now dead. Only time could decide Kyuhyun’s fate.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Without another word, Woohyun was now back in the comfort of his own car. He took out his phone which he collection from the guard when he was released from the place. Quickly, he unlocked his phone and dialled a number.

 

 

*This person’s phone is currently switched off. Please call back later or leave a message.*

 

 

“!” Woohyun swore, throwing his phone to the side from anger. He punched his steering wheel a couple of times, letting his anger take over him. Suddenly, his phone rang. The caller was Sunggyu. Reluctantly, he picked up.

 

 

“Hey Gy-“ Before he could finish, his words were cut off.

 

 

“HYUN! HAVE YOU SEEN KYUHYUN ANYWHERE?” He shouted through the phone. Woohyun paused for a while as he listened to his lover sob on the other side of the line.

 

 

“I’m so sorry Sunggyu.”

 

 

“Woo-Woohyun?”

 

 

“I promise. I will fix everything.” With that, he ended the call and switched on the engine to his car.

Woohyun drove his car out from the back alley and merged onto the main street. Once he was a couple of miles away from the Cho’s hide out, connected his phone to his car and dialled a number.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“It’s me.”

 

 

“Oh… Rare for you to call. What’s up?”

 

 

“We need to talk. It’s about Kyuhyun.”

 

 

“Ok. Where should we meet?”

 

 

“Your house. And bring Changmin.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! And another chapter is released! Can you guys guess what the next chapter will be about? We are really close! Really close to finding out who Kyuhyun's father is!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Sorry I took so long.. You know...life and all is a pain in the bumbum! P.S: To those who are confused, Kim-Ssi is a woman who is deceased, not Jaejoong!

SUBSCRIBE, UPVOTE AND COMMENT!

They will be treasured and loved <3

 

A~