Chapter 20: His Reality

Secret Assassins

 

 

A click was heard, signalling something was being unlocked as the handle of the door turned to the side. There was a loud bang before the door swung open revealing two assassins as they came almost tumbling inside. They looked flustered and red with the inability to catch their breath.

 

 

 

“Good morning, Jung Yunho-ssi, Jung Changmin-ssi.” They heard a voice. Yunho and Changmin looked up in unison and saw Woohyun standing in the middle of their living room looking right at them. He had a small smile on his face with his hand folded neatly in front of himself. Woohyun wore a custom black suit with his hair swept back. He gave the two a bow to greet them home. The assassins looked on, clearly confused as to how he managed to enter the house without breaking the rules as a servant to the law.

 

 

 

“How did yo-?” Changmin was the first to speak. Woohyun didn’t say anything but simply reached into his pocket and took something out. There was the sound of small metal objects hitting against each other as he pulled it out for display. In his hands were a set of keys with a gold key pendent dangling from a key ring that hung from it.
“That’s Kyuhyun’s!” The boy shouted, recognising the set of keys as the keyring was a gift from him to the other for his 13th birthday. The boy had never left the house without his trusty set of keys with his favourite key ring that made the object known to other people it belonged to him. Changmin was about to run over and tackle the other but Yunho stopped him.

 

 

 

“Changmin-ah.” The man pleaded, hoping to stop the young boy from doing anything irrational and land him in the detention centre.
“Hello Chief Nam.” Yunho greeted. He had noticed that the man had small cuts and bruises on his face but chose to stay quiet. The youngest had his arms folded and lips sealed, not wanted to say anything that would cause him to get into trouble. Woohyun’s had a sad smile on his lips as his eyes stayed watching Changmin. Seeing the young boy really reminded him of Kyuhyun. He was meant to protect him but he failed. No...I didn’t failed, I betrayed him.

 

 

 

“I know you have a lot of questions. Give me your time and I’ll give you your answers.” He spoke in a calm tone. Woohyun put Kyuhyun’s keys back into his blazer pocket before grabbing his long black woollen coat which was on the sofa and made his way to the Jung family’s kitchen.
“Let’s have a seat in the kitchen while we talk. I bought over some lunch in case you’re feeling hungry.” He pointed at their kitchen and on their island had 2 plastic bags placed on top of it which weren't there before. The brothers remained quiet as they followed the other to the kitchen.

 

 

 

Yunho understood how someone so young could be the Chief of Seoul Police. Nam Woohyun had that aura to him. It stood out among everyone else. Pride, class, confidence and intelligence screamed out with his presence and with every move he made. The man, though young had a lot of experience behind him from what the assassin heard/dug up for satisfy his curiosity regarding the whole police force. They say ‘know your enemies’ and though the police were not an enemy of theirs, they were neither friends.Yunho could tell without so much of a second glance what Woohyun was like as a young detective on the field. Strong, intimidating and incredibly hard working which led him to rise the ranks in record time. It wasn’t the first time Yunho had met the man but like the first, he would always get the same emotions well up inside.

 

 

 

I don’t like him…

 

 

 

His thoughts about the Chief were never good but he couldn’t figure out why. Something told him that he was going to find out today and that was something that frightened him. He had thought that he could not longer feel it but that man had the power to do that, even to Yunho. He had hoped there would never be a reason to get on Nam Woohyun’s bad side since quiet frankly, Yunho really didn't want to. However, if the said man was to do anything to cause Changmin and Kyuhyun any harm, he would immediately think of this man as one.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


15 hours in the future~

 

 

Her cries echoed in the couple’s bedroom as she repeated her son’s name. Her husband held her in his arms, patting her back in a consistent rhythm. The cries of his wife struck him close to heart as the lady was always almost joyful. He had only seen her in so much pain on the day where both her parents passed from old age. Cho Hana, maiden name Kim was that kind of person. The person who stood before him was someone Younghwan didn’t know. He loved his wife very much and seeing her like this was something he didn’t like, as if a foreign being had taken over her.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun… Kyuhyun… My baby…” She cried louder. One of her children was dead and the other was close to dying. Why, why did it have to be them? She thought with a heavy heart as she drew her face closer to her husband’s chest.

 

 

 

“Darling…It will be alright. Kyuhyun will be safe. Woohyun will find him, I promise. Now, my love, go to bed, ok? Kyuhyun wouldn’t be happy if he found out you were suffering like this.” He spoke in a soft tone as he pulled back and wiped away his wife’s tears. She looked up to meet her husband’s face before giving a small nod.

 

 

 

“You’re right… It’s getting late. You should sleep too, honey.” The man smiled and leaned in to give his wife a quick peck on the lips.

 

 

 

“I will. Now sleep, darling.” He said before he tucked her in, making sure she was comfortable. As she slept, he continued to watch her, wondering how he managed to win over the heart of such perfection. He swept her fringe aside and leaned down to kiss her on the forehead. The light touch made her shuffle in her sleep but wasn't enough to wake her up as she let out light breaths. Once he was sure the other had fallen asleep, he stood up and walked out of their room. The soft features he presented to his wife disappeared immediately once the door closed behind him. He was greeted by two armed guards who stoop at either ends of the door.

 

 

 

“Inform me of any sudden movements. Do not let her out of this room without my permission, do you hear me?” He said in a harsh tone which gave the guards shivers down their spine. The guards stood up straight, giving the man a salute.

 

 

 

“Yes Sir!” They answered in unison. The man nodded, giving one last look at the door which separated him and his wife before making his way to the meeting room. As he walked down the hallway, passing a left turn, two men dressed in black suits, ear pieces and sunglasses joined him to the place they were going.

 

 

 

“Is everyone here?” He asked the two men behind him.

 

 

 

“Yes. They are all ready for you Sir.” One spoke, not daring to speak anymore.

 

 

 

“Good.” With a quick pace, they made their way down the hallway and into a lift that stood there. The man entered first with the others close behind. One of the suited men pushed the button on the side labelled as ‘B’.

 

 

 

“ID Required.” An electronic female voice announced through the speaker. He took out his ID from his inner pocket and presented it the CCTV camera.

“Accepted. You may pass.” The lifted moved down to the floor labelled as ‘B’. It took approximately 2 minutes for the elevator to the three men there. With a loud ‘Ding’, the elevator stopped. Slowly, the doors opened, presenting the men with a long wooden table which could seat 15 people. Three chairs were placed opposite the elevator at the shorter end of the table while 6 chairs were sat on either side on the longest part. All seats were filled except for the middle chair at the end seat. As the elevator opened, the people who sat on the chairs turned their head downward it and stood up. The man walked out and the guards once again followed, staying behind the man with folded arms.

 

 

 

“Good evening President Cho.” The greeted in unison as they bowed to greet their President.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Present time~

 

 

 

With the help of Yunho, Woohyun laid out a variety or snacks which included fruit kebabs, finger foods, a large tray of macaroons for desert and 2 sandwich platters. Yunho bought out three plates and forks, placing it in front of each of them as the food was laid out in the middle. Yunho and Changmin sat together on one end, their backs facing the living room while Woohyun sat in front of them. Woohyun ushered them to start before he took out his phone and placed it beside his plate. Yunho understood the others gesture to try and make them comfortable and did began to put food on his and Changmin’s plate. The younger however didn't take if the Chief’s actions to try and warm up to them. Instead, he went defensive. Every move the Chief made was under the watchful eye of Changmin. His gaze on the man didn’t break for even a second. The man knew the young assassin was watching him but continued as normal without breaking a sweat. Yunho was doing the same but kept his gaze to small glances every now and again. Once their plates had been filled, Woohyun opened his mouth to speak.

 

 

 

“Now-” Just as he was about to speak, the light of his phone can on. Light vibrations coming from the phone spread through the table. It was only at this moment that Changmin looked away at the man and moved this attention else where. Yunho did that same but Woohyun simply ignored it, keeping his eyes on the two assassins sitting in front of him. They kept silent as the phone continued to ring in silence. After half a minute or so, the call was cut.
“Like I was saying-” Again with the phone. Yunho raised a brow at the man, wondering why he wouldn’t just switched it off. At the same time, it was understandable to why the Chief kept his phone on but switched it to silent. Yunho gave a quick glance at the phone to see who was calling the young Chief. Kim Sunggyu, the phone showed. Yunho knew that name belonged to a detective at the Seoul Police Station but the reason why the man might be calling was unclear. Maybe something happened in the office?

 

 

 

“I think you should pick it up. By the looks of it, Detective Kim isn’t going to give up until you do.” Woohyun sighed, taking his phone and moving back to the living room. With a heavy heart, Woohyun took a quick look at his phone, staring at the name of his lover on the screen before deciding to pick it up.

 

 

 

‘Hello?’ He answered as quietly as possible so the others couldn’t hear.

 

 

 

‘HYUN! You finally picked up! Where have you been? Kyuhyun is missing.’ He spoke. Woohyun could tell Sunggyu was holding back his tears. His voice was soft and light, not like the normal Kim Sunggyu who's voice was always stern and charismatic. The man was always a man of pride so his feelings tend to be hidden away, even when the event that had just happened hurt him dearly. However, Woohyun could tell, heck anyone could tell how broken Sunggyu was at the moment. To a normal person he sounded normal with a hint of worry in his voice but that hint of worry was audible. To a normal person, that would not have been noticeable. That was how you could tell just how bad of a state the other was in. Woohyun threw his feelings aside and swallowed hard. He wished he could drive home to where Sunggyu was most likely waiting for him and take him in his arms until his body no longer felt the fear and sadness he was feeling right now. He wanted to kiss the man and tell him everything was going to be alright but he couldn’t. He couldn’t risk putting his lover in danger for a stupid mistake he made. He could risk losing his lovers trust after he was to find out what he had done. He just couldn’t.

 

 

 

‘Sorry Detective Kim. I’m currently in a meeting but I will call you back later, ok?’ Woohyun put emphasis on the word ‘ok’. Sunggyu’s breath hitched. There was a pause between the two before Sunggyu finally spoke up.

 

 

 

‘Ok, Hyunnie. I love you.’ Woohyun closed his eyes, thanking that Sunggyu didn't push the matter further. Sunggyu was hesitating to hang up but had no choice as Woohyun’s words signalled to him that they were in no position to talk. Woohyun was at a place where they couldn't speak in private as there were people in the background listening to their conversations. Who's there? The detective wanted to ask but bit his lip to keep him silent.

 

 

 

‘Thanks, I understand. I think the same.’ With that, Woohyun cut off. The phone’s screen turned black. For a good minute, he stared down at his phone. The feeling of Sunggyu’s pain still tingling in his ear. Just as he was about to walk back into the kitchen, his phone buzzed, telling him that he received a text message. Quickly, he opened it, reading the contents of the text.

 

 

 

I'll be waiting.

 

 

 

Woohyun smiled at the message before quickly going back to the Jung brothers after reverting back to his normal poker face. He didn't reply to Sunggyu knowing that the man understood what his feeling.

 

 

 

“Sorry for the wait, gentlemen.” He apologised, going back to his seat. Like before, he set his phone down next to his plate and rested his arms on the table. A quickly glance at Changmin’s plate showed that the boy had eaten the food that Woohyun had bought. He was thankful, knowing that the gesture meant the boy had accepted him but barely.
Maybe breaking into their house was not a good idea especially seeing how Changmin reacted after finding out how he got in but it showed the assassins how urgent their meeting was. The Chief of police would never do anything that was against the law as they were bound by it but Woohyun was different. If the occasion called for it, he was willing to break one or two.

 

 

 

“That's no problem.” Yunho said to reassure the other with a small smile while Changmin continued to stay silent.

 

 

 

“Now, let's begin shall we? Do you wish to start the questions or listen first?” Either way it didn't matter as they were still going to have the same information given to them. Woohyun was never the type to deny someone of their personal choice.

 

 

 

“Listen.” Before Yunho could get a word in, Changmin spoke. It was the first word he had said to the man that didn't have any feeling of hatred laced in it. The man smiled at the younger, giving a small nod before beginning his story.

 

 

 

“Firstly, do you know Kyuhyun’s family name?” Yunho looked at the man with confusion in his eyes. Of course they knew what Kyuhyun’s family name was.

 

 

 

“Cho, Cho Kyuhyun.” He said with certainty. The Chief nodded again, satisfied with their answer. Knowing Kyuhyun’s background, it would have been the norm for Kyuhyun to hide his family name to protect him from unwanted people who might want to use him in some kind of way. However, Kyuhyun didn't want people to know him by any other name other than his own. It was something personal to him, defining him as a person and making him who he was. But no one knew anything else about him. Especially who his father was.

 

 

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, that's correct. And do you know who Cho Younghwan is?” Of course they knew. Everyone know who Cho Younghwan was.

 

 

 

“He's the current President of South Korea, so far 2 years in office.” This time Yunho was the one to answer, Changmin nodding along to his answer.

 

 

 

“That man is Kyuhyun’s father.”