Chapter 13: My Regrets

Secret Assassins

 

 

 

        It took just less than an hour to clear all the red away from their front door. Changmin offered to help but Yunho insisted that he did it himself, telling him it would be best for him to do his homework rather than doing something like that. Changmin nodded, looking at those words that were painted across their front door. It haunted him, made him wonder what they meant. After that, it made him fear, fear for their lives which was something that didn’t scare him a lot. Rather, it made him excited. It made him live but now? It wasn’t like that. It wasn’t like that at all.

      As he moved the watered down soap and sponge along the white door, he began to make a list of all the possible candidates. Anyone who knew about them being a secret assassin and who would go after them. Enough to threaten them in such a wide open area. Surely a witness of two would have seen what they were doing. Be it a parent or a child. It would have been done during school and working hours. It was obvious they have more enemies than friends. However, not even the police knew where they lived. After all, they weren’t that close to the police. His head began to get cloudy; before he knew it, he had finished the just he was set out to do.

        Changmin laid down on his bed and grabbed the device next to him. He toggling with Kyuhyun’s mini iPad which was still in his possession. He found himself searching through every corner, trying to get some hints of what Kyuhyun was doing. On the other hand, it could be an excuse to try and get closer to the younger. It was an understatement to say he missed him. Changmin longed for him, wanting to see his smiling face again. He sighed, wondering when the time will come. He prayed that Kyuhyun would suddenly show up at his door like he normally would, sitting on the front step waiting for him to come out.

 

 

 

 

      He threw his gear on his bed, removing his hood. Sweat and rain covered his face from the long run outside. Panting, he stepped into the shower, removing every article of clothing on the way and throwing it on the floor. The warm water sprinkled over his body. Kyuhyun’s breathing began to steady and the pain on his chest started to disappear. He knew he shouldn’t have taken his time; it had rained as soon as his mission was over. By the time he arrived home, it was already dark. 6 hours of walking, running and hoping no one would catch him. Of course, killing that one man was not all he had to do. There were more. More that threatened him and forced him to kill them. He reassured himself, repeating in his mind those words. ‘Those people deserved to die. It was their fault to begin with.’ Somehow, it seemed to work. Even though those were people. He had no solid evidence but they did it. They were the ones behind Sunggyu’s phone interception. Kyuhyun knew that if he didn’t dispose of them, they would soon be the one disposed of.

      Sunggyu and Woohyun were still at the station, leaving the younger all by himself. It has been two weeks since he moved in. Two weeks of sleeping around and doing nothing. There was still another hour before they came home. Wearing a pair of shorts and a white t-shirt, Kyuhyun came out of the bathroom with his hair slightly wet and a towel wrapped around his shoulder. For a second, he watched the soothing sounds of the rain hitting against the window. He closed his eyes, allowing nothing come in or leave his mind. It was something he loved to do when he was little. Sitting on the windowsill with his older sister, resting on each other, closing their eyes as they listened to the piano music from the living room. They had a habit of keeping their doors open. It allowed them to enter each other’s room whenever they liked and listen to the piano whenever their mother began to play. It was their secret. Something only the two of them would do. Something about doing it alone now, made the happy memory incredibly sad.

      A line of beeps sounding every 5 seconds was heard. Kyuhyun turned around, opening his eyes with confusion. He looked around and found a Blackberry Touch on the table. A red light continued to blink. Steadily, Kyuhyun approached it. From what he remembered, neither Sunggyu nor Woohyun owned a Blackberry. Something told him he should stay on guard.

       He grabbed the phone and flipped it open. The screen displayed something black and fuzzy. A muffling voice was heard before the screen finally focused. There, a woman with her eyes blind folded, arms and legs bounded together on the floor and bloodied.

 

 

“You will pay for everything.” A creepy, deep voice spoke.

 

 

 

“WHO ARE YOU?! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!” His eyes were focused on the screen.  The woman began to shuffle a bit after hearing the younger’s shout.

 

 

 

“MMMHH MMMM!” She tried to speak but silver duct tape closed . A shiver came down Kyuhyun’s spine. He was so sure, though it wasn’t clear, the woman was calling his name. It was dark which meant he couldn’t see anything properly. He tried his best to hear out of clues, removing every bit of sound that was useless. There was nothing. Nothing except their voices bouncing back through the hollow walls.

“Mmmmm!” She cried again.

 

 

 

“Shut the up woman!” The man spoke again. Anger could be heard dripping down his voice as he began to kick the woman. Her screams, luckily were covered up, bringing a bit more mercy to Kyuhyun’s ears.

 

 

 

“Noona?! NOONA! IS THAT YOU?!” Kyuhyun gripped onto the phone tighter, feeling all the pain and panic at once. He wondered why he didn’t realise it at first. It was so obvious. His father’s position, it was bound to happen. But how did they know about him? No one should know about Cho Kyuhyun. According to the world, the Cho family only has a daughter.

“WHAT THE DID YOU DO? WHAT DO YOU WANT?!” Shouting from the top of his lungs. Cold sweats made their way to his forehead. It was then, when the phone cut off, showing its original wallpaper of a yellow flower. Kyuhyun recognised the flower. It was a single yellow Asphodel.

“My regrets follow you to the grave. “ He whispered, dropping the phone on the floor.

      He ran. With his white sneakers on and nothing other than what he wore when he first came out of the shower, he ran. The rain his body hard, mixing into the tears that fell from his eyes. He didn’t know where he was heading. He just needed to get away. Sunggyu and Woohyun would kill him once they find out he’s no longer home. Later time he checked, they should be home in about 15 minutes. For the past few weeks, neither of them worked overtime. Spending time with Kyuhyun was important to them and they didn’t want the younger to be too lonely. Though the younger said it was ok, they insisted. Kyuhyun felt like he was betraying them, running away like that. After all, they were in charge of looking after him but he couldn’t take it anymore. His sister was taken and possibly dead. He had no clue who or where the killer is. He was stuck trying to crack a case without any clues. Some part of him wanted to give up but he couldn’t.

      The cold got to him. He shivered as he walked through the storm. Wind and rain was definitely the worst combination. He found his body leaning forward, vision blurry before he fell onto his knees. A voice called his name before darkness overcame him.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun?”

 

 

 

      With the younger in his arms, he threw away everything, running back home. Kyuhyun uncomfortably cold in his arms. Yunho swore he could feel him shiver. His coat was not enough to warm the younger up. Yunho swore, he had never felt so scared and relieved at the same time. Managing to fumble between holding Kyuhyun and grabbing his keys which was in his coat pocket, the door suddenly opened with Changmin on the other side. Yunho guessed it was probably because he took a little too long and Changmin could hear his struggle through the window in the living room. He saw Changmin’s eyes widen to its widest, looking top to bottom, up and down Kyuhyun’s body.

 

 

 

“I-Is that Kyuhyun?” Yunho nodded and quickly went inside.

“Put him in my room. It’s nearer.” Changmin shouted, running into the bathroom to grab a small towel and fill a tub with warm water. Yunho laid the younger down on Changmin’s bed, moving the duvet with one hand while the other was holding tightly onto Kyuhyun. Slowly, he put Kyuhyun down. Kyuhyun took in a deep breath as his body hit the soft mattress. Changmin came in with a tub and a couple of towels o his shoulder.

“It’s take care of him. You should go have a shower before you catch a cold.” Yunho wanted to stay. He wanted to stay so badly but he could feel the sold starting to do a number on his body, He had no choice but to oblige.

      Changmin put the tub down on the side table next to him. For a brief moment, he sat beside Kyuhyun and watched him. He felt his heart clench. Happy that Kyuhyun was here beside him but sad that he didn’t look his usual self. His heart felt heavy as he brushed Kyuhyun’s cold cheek with the back of his hand. As he thought, it was soft. Seeing the younger on his bed, it felt so tempting. All he seemed to focus on was his lips. Without noticing, he leaned in. A wash bush washed over his face as he felt Kyuhyun’s plump lips against his. It felt so right. It was as if it was meant to be. Kyuhyun shivered beside him, waking Changmin up to reality. Quickly, he began to undress the younger. Changmin wet one of the towels and twisted it, squeezing out the excess water and began to dry Kyuhyun’s body. He did his best to not let his dark side take over him, seeing as the other had all his guards down. Blushing, he did his best to keep a straight face whilst washing Kyuhyun’s fully body. Once Yunho had finished taking a shower, he found Kyuhyun fully clothed in Changmin’s pyjamas with the duvet covering him. Changmin was sat down beside him.

 

 

 

“How is he?”

 

 

 

“He’s fine. Just a little fever. Once he gets up, I’ll get him to eat some medicine.” Yunho nodded and rubbed his towel against his head.

“Are you ok?” He asked, taking a seat next to Changmin.

 

 

 

“I’m fine. I’m just a little relived and worried…”

 

 

 

“Are you sleepy? Do you want to sleep in my bed for a bit?”

 

 

 

“I’m fine. I’ll stay here until Kyuhyun wakes us.” Yunho nodded and stood up, making his way to the kitchen. It was late and they had yet to eat dinner. Since Kyuhyun was here, he decided to make something a bit more spectacular. Also because it was the first time Kyuhyun had been to their house, he deserved a warm welcoming.

      Changmin held onto Kyuhyun’s hand, rubbing them for warmth. His body temperature was a bit warmer than average but his hands were freezing. Changmin had always found it weird. Even during summer, Kyuhyun would be there warming up his hands.

“Where have you been these past few week, Kyuhyun?” He asked, laying his head down on his bed next to Kyuhyun’s hand. Changmin closed his eyes with a smile as he listened to the soft snores of Kyuhyun that lulled him to sleep.