Chapter 12: The Broken Mess

Secret Assassins

 

 

        Changmin looked at the burnt corpse which was a few meters away from him. The face unable to be recognised. Even depicting whether or not it was a male of female was hard, seeing as there were 2 other flames in the car at the time. All he could say was that the fire did a good job covering up a killer’s mistake. Not to mention burning the 2 girls and the drivers alive. There was no way they could have made it out. Everything happened too fast. From the loud gunshot to the explosion of the car. No one would have expected it, had they not been there to witness the crime. It was said, one scream lead to another.

 

 

 

“THEY HAVE A GUN!” One woman cried, shielding her child from whoever and wherever the killer might be hiding at. That was all it took for the crowd to go wild. Running as far away from the car that seemed to stop in the middle of the road. It was obvious, the victim was in there. It took exactly 10 minutes for the first police car to arrive, another 5 minutes for another 4. During that time, the car had already blown up in a gaze of roaring fire, hurting a few innocent citizen. The young assassin snorted at the killer’s carelessness, choosing to do it at such a busy time of day. During the time it took for the backup cop cars to arrive, the Y.C.K crew was already at the scene of the crime, missing the K of course. 2 fire trucks came seconds later and were already working on putting the fire out. Terrified citizens continued to cry in fear as the police brought them over for questioning. They would stare at the two lone assassins from time to time, expecting them to question the ones still in fear. But they weren’t like that. They worked for their own. Deciding when to question the witnesses were also something they did in their own time. It was stupid, questioning them straight away after witnessing something so horrible. All they would get would be a bunch of wet sobs and a load of ‘I don’t know…’ It was better to question them a few hours or even a day, allowing them to calm down and get their mind together.

 

 

 

“See anything?” Yunho asked, resting his hand on his brother’s shoulder. Their faces were bother covered with a bloack mask. One they would use when they went to finish someone off to prevent anyone from seeing their face. The police department knew how they looked but since it was an outside crime scene where a lot of people were, not to mention the press, they had to conceal their identities from the public.

      A call had come in as the duo were having lunch. It was quite embarrassing on Yunho’s behalf, having his phone go off in the middle of the canteen where hundreds of students were and a couple of teachers sat. He apologised to the teachers at his table before picking up the Chief of police’s call with an unamused voice. As he would expect, it was a quick ‘GET YOU TO THE CRIME SCENE RIGHT THIS INSTANT. THERE HAS BEEN A KILLING IN THE MIDDLE OF SEOUL, HIGHSTREET.’ Ok, maybe a killing in the middle of Seoul high street was a little off Yunho’s guess list. It was a strange place for a killing, being a professional assassin, he knew. Especially during the time it is, a handful of witnesses could have easily spotted the killer. He tried to add up the possibilities of who the killer might be as he drove his car with Changmin in the driver’s seat as fast as he could. Could he be one of those psychopathic killers who kill for fun? After all, the thrill of getting caught, living on the edge of life; some people craved it. Yunho for one, was not one of those. Though he couldn’t say the same for his brother Changmin. If he was at his last stage of anger, he could probably kill a whole town within a matter of hours. It wasn’t until they reached the crime scene did they realise how bad it really was.

 

 

 

“Nope. Nothing yet.” Changmin shook his head. A sigh came through as the younger looked down at the blackened road.

“I bet Kyuhyun would understand all this.” Yunho smiled, understanding what Changmin was trying to say. The hint of sadness in his voice along with how he looked during dinner. It was clear that Changmin looked like a puppy who had lost his owner.

 

 

 

“Don’t worry. I’m sure he’ll be with us very soon.” He rubbed Changmin’s head before walking closer to the burnt car himself. It was still a bit hot, feeling the heated air as he got closer. Changmin was a step behind, coughing a bit when he met with the smoke that was coming out. It smelt toxic. Yunho covered his nose and mouth with his sleeve, Changmin doing the same. The first thing Yunho saw was the burnt driver. As he walked around, he could see some forensic scientists there, searching the car for any clues. With their little dusters and tweezers, wearing a fully white suit and face mask, they picked up even the littlest things. Yunho could see them collecting parts of the body, just enough to try and trace a DNA from it. They were careful with the body, trying not to break it as they were more or less charcoal. Or at least the top few layers of the victim’s skin were. The 4 scientists continued to work, their assistants beside them as the spoke out what they saw.

 

 

 

“Anyone found a weapon of some sort?” one asked, looking up from the passenger’s seat as they talker. The others shook their head.

 

 

 

“Negative.” They all said one after the other. Yunho furrowed his eyebrows, stopping right next to the passenger’s seat. He could see three perfectly laid out bodies. The ones on the side in a more twisted form unlike the one in the middle. That one laid perfectly still, looking above as if it was sleeping on its back.

 

 

 

“Look for a bullet.” He told them. They all looked up to him, confused.

“There’s a hole in the middle of that one’s head. He has been shot with most likely a sniper.” He explained, pointing at the hole which was empty. It was big enough to stick a finger through, though Yunho wasn’t keen on doing that. As stupid as it sounded, it would help him find the measurements of the bullet used to kill the victim but putting his finger through a burnt corpse didn’t sound very inviting.

      Yunho thought long and hard. If it was the killer who had been on a killing rampage for the past few months, it would make some sense. However, the pattern didn’t fit. The killer never killed more than one person at a time, wanting to make clear their existence and allow people time to fear them. Furthermore, they liked to kill the victim in one hit before torturing their dead corpses. This form of killing wouldn’t give the killer that much ‘fun’. It was obvious to rule them out straight away.

 

 

 

“Do you think it would be him?” Changmin asked, looking over.

 

 

 

“No. The patterns don’t match.”

 

 

 

“Patterns?”

 

 

 

“The killer which you’re talking about has a distinctive pattern, it’s not obvious but it is there. You just have to really look into it to see it.” He looked down at the driver’s seat, moving over to the front window screen where he could view everything from the front. The glass was windows were more of less intact. Only a small hole pierced through the middle with small cracks surrounding it. Yunho looked through it. As he thought, it lead directly to the victim who had been shot. Turning around, he peered upwards to see where the killer could have possibly been hiding. There was only a few possible places. One, the small empty apartment directly opposite the car. Or two, one of the many high rise buildings surrounding the car. It was hard to pin point exactly which one without a bit more time.

 

“Hyung, we will have to come back again later. More of them are arriving.” By them, Changmin meant the reporters. Yunho knew how dangerous it would be for the world to find out their identity. Furthermore, having a reporter unmask them was unspeakable.

      The older of the two nodded, walking back to their car as fast as they could while avoiding any contact with the police or reporters that stood a few meters away. Those policemen who noticed them leaving did the smart thing of ignoring them as they walked away. It was only a few annoy reporters who had the urge to interview them for their work which made things a little harder for the two. They couldn’t push them out of the way nor could they ask them to stop. The presence of a voice could give a big lead to who they were in the black market. After 10 minutes of struggling, they finally made it back to their car, strapping in and driving off. Once they knew no one was in sight, they took off their masks and took a deep breath.

 

 

 

“Are you ok?” Yunho asked Changmin, gripping onto the steering wheel tightly.

 

 

 

“I’m fine. I just want to know how Kyuhyun is doing… He hasn’t been in school for two weeks.” Kyuhyun had been missing for two weeks now. The school principle has said his parents called into school and told them he would be moving to another school. It had come as a surprise for both Changmin and Yunho. More for Changmin though Yunho chose to cover his emotions on the event. He didn’t like how the younger didn’t tell either of them of his leave. It pained him deeply, as if he had been stabbed in the back.

 

 

 

“I’m sure he’ll come back soon. Don’t worry too much about it, Changmin. All we can do it make sure we do our job right until Kyuhyun comes back so he wouldn’t have to pick up after us.”

 

 

 

“You’re right hyung. Thanks.” It had been a while since Yunho saw Changmin smile. Even though it was the slightest smile, it was still there. Part of him was scared he wouldn’t be able to see it unless Kyuhyun was going to suddenly pop up and great them like he usually would.

      By the time they managed to make it to their car, it was already half way through the last lesson. Yunho decided it was best to just go home, rather than to into school for the last half an hour. The drive back home was ended with unexpected surprise.

 

 

I know who you are. You cannot escape from what you have done.

 

 

        Haunting words were written on their front door to their house. Painted in red. It dripped down onto the front porch, leaving the white pavement splattered with a thick substance. Changmin froze up immediately, hoping at the bottom of his heart it wasn’t something or someone’s blood.

 

 

 

“Stay inside ok? I’ll give you a signal if I think it’s ok to come out.” Yunho spoke as he pulled into the drive way. He took a couple of deep breaths, calming his erratic heart. A thousand thoughts came into his mind, clouding it. He began to think of every possibility of what could happen as soon as he stepped out. From a nothing happening to an ambush by the killer hidden on top of someone’s roof. Some person he kept thinking about was Kyuhyun. What was he doing right now? Did he know what was happening? Those thoughts never stopped.

      Walking extremely slowly and carefully, he moved over to the porch. He crossed out the possibility of him dying straight away, seeing as he was still alive. The front door got closer and so did the smell of the substance. It was clear, the unknown red was paint.

“It’s safe.” He signalled, calling his brother over.