Chapter 19: A Long Drive Down

Secret Assassins

 

 

Yunho had asked for an early day for both him and Changmin, stating to the teachers there was an important ‘family matter’ they needed to attend. The teachers were no doubt worried for them and let them off without a second thought.

 

 

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to make an announcement?” The Principle asked but Yunho turned him down with a smile. He ended their conversation with a polite bow before leaving the Principal’s office.

He had wondered why Chief Nam would contact him directly. Truth be told, Yunho had wanted to disconnect the call as he had a feeling of suspicion. However the mention of Kyuhyun’s name threw him off. Luckily for the both of them, Woohyun had called during morning break which was why Yunho was able to answer his phone. Otherwise, the young teacher would have left it ringing until the end of the day though the silent vibrations would distract him. Had he done that, who knows if he would have the same chance to find out where Kyuhyun was? On Yunho’s way out from the staff office, one of the teachers stopped him.

 

 

 

“Jung sun-saeng-nim… I don’t mean to take up a lot of your time but how is Kyuhyun? I haven’t seen him in class for some time and I’m a bit worried. I know that you and Changmin were quite close to him so I was wondering if you’ve heard anything.” The teacher who had stopped Yunho was Park Jungsoo sun-saeng-nim, Kyuhyun’s Art teacher. He was a couple of years older than Yunho but would never reveal the exact number as it would ‘shock’ him, he said. From Yunho’s point of view, Park Jungsoo was a nice man who cared deeply for him students.

 

 

 

“Hello, Park sun-saeng-nim. No, it’s no bother. Regarding Kyuhyun, it seems as though he’s taking a bit of a break from school. I’m not 100% sure on the details but I do know that he’s taken a leave of absence.” Yunho lied. Sure he felt bad for lying but all he wanted was to get the man of his back.

“I’m sorry but I really must leave. I need to pick Changmin up from his lesson.” He gave the teacher a shy smile, excusing himself before the other could ask any other questions.

 

 

 

“I see. Thank you Jung sun-saeng-nim, I’ll see you tomorrow?” Jungsoo asked. Yunho could see a hint of sadness from the corner of the man’s eyes, clearly upset but Yunho’s words. Inner turmoil left Yunho unsure of what to do.

 

 

 

“I’m not sure. My Grandfather is quiet ill at the moment. His condition seemed to have made a turn for the worst just a few moments ago. I’ll give the school a call later to see how everything progresses.” The elder immediately understood what Yunho was saying, giving a few words of encouragement before letting the younger of the two go. Yunho gave him a bow with the other returning the gesture.

Leaving was a better option for him that to continue making up more lies. He could see that Park sun-saeng-nim had more questions in his mind but Yunho was too impatient to answer them all. Home was where his mind was. Home was where Yunho would finally get his answers regarding Kyuhyun. All that was left was retrieving Changmin.

 

 

At the start of every year, Yunho would make it his first priority to memorise both Changmin and Kyuhyun’s schedule to avoid any lag in their everyday lives when a secret mission came through. Like their leader, the two of them did the same. From memory, Yunho knew Changmin had maths in Block A, classroom A09 which was the top floor. It would have been easier to communicate using a school announcement but Yunho didn’t want to alarm the whole school. Calling through their mobile was impossible as Changmin wasn’t allowed to pick up calls during classes and he wouldn’t be able to think of an excuse quick enough to allow their teacher to excuse him for the whole day. He sighed, thinking of the quickest way to get to his brother without causing a stir. He was currently in block D which luckily was not the furthest from block A but it did mean he had to take a detour around the school. He was currently on the third floor, one below from the top floor.

 

 

 

“2 flights of stairs for each floor, 6 flights all together for Block D which would take approximately 7 minutes. Walking from here to Block A would take 12 minutes. 8 flight of stairs, 9 minutes, altogether 28 minutes to get to Changmin. Once I have collected Changmin, it would be 9 minutes down the stairs and 15 minutes maximum to run to the teacher’s car park. Too long…” He muttered under his breath as he calculated the amount of time it would take for him to get out of school with Changmin. Yunho closed his eyes while looking up to the ceiling.

 

 

 

“I guess I have no choice then…” The assassin allowed his body to lead the way, choosing to go up the stairs instead of down. Every block had 4 levels to it, not including the rooftop which like every floor, was two flights of stairs apart from the 4th floor. Each flight took about a minute and a half to walk up in a normal situation but Yunho wasn’t going to walk, he was going to run.

The raven gripped the bannister of the stairs, flinging his body upwards as he ran up two steps at a time. Within 2 minutes, he had climbed all 4, reaching the rooftop in record time. Yunho opened the locked door with the key to the rooftop which each teacher is given at the start of their career. Normally, it is off limits to young students as many of them go there for different reasons such as smoke and take drugs. Unfortunately, there have been a few cases of suicide before Yunho’s time which leads to the rooftop being closed off permanently to all students.

 

 

 

The wind slowly caressed Yunho’s locks as if guiding him to where he wanted to go. Without wasting another second, Yunho ran towards the North towards the metal fence that protected people from falling to their death and reached half a metre above his head. Once he was close enough to almost touch it, he jumped up and grabbed the top of the metal fence. Using his arms, he pulled his body upwards before carefully moving down from the other side. There was more than a 2 metre space between the building Yunho was on and the other. Had the fence not been in the way, the jump would have been an easy one with the help for a good run and leap.

 

 

 

“Come on Jung Yunho…” Three deep breaths it took for him to calm himself down. He looked down from the ledge he was standing on, seeing just how high he was. I’ve seen higher, he thought to try and make himself feel better. He set his eyes back on his target, the other building, leaning forward with his right hand still clutching at the metal fence. There was a shorter fence on the other side which went up to Yunho’s waist. A gust of wind blew past, in the split second, he let go and leapt from where he currently was. One foot touch the overhang of the building just barely.  Using his weight, he let his body fall frontwards as he clung onto the railing. Once his other foot was secured, he lifted his right leg up and climbed over.

 

 

 

“Now that wasn’t so hard.” Yunho was now standing on top of Block C. A sigh escaped his lips as the 24 year old felt a slight shock on his right knee. The mere mention of the younger’s name had made Yunho forget everything. His only aim was the see the boy in front of him again so he could hold him in his arms and tell him everything was going to be alright. But how could he if he was going to running around, jumping from building to building without giving his body that well needed stretch beforehand. Yunho prayed that his years of assassin work would protect him from pulling any big muscles. That would save him the time and the money. Pain was ignored as Yunho continued to make his way to his brother. It took him another 5 minutes before he reached A block. He stumbled at the jump, feeling excited by the fact he was nearing the end of this crazy trip to Changmin. Yunho ran to the locked metal doors, taking his keys out to unlock them. Once opened, he entered, not forgetting to lock it back up again. If anyone was to find out the door was opened, it will surely cause havoc around the school.

Yunho walked down the 2 flights for stairs, taking this time to calm his body down so it could go back to its normal form. As he reached the 4th floor, he stole a quick look at himself in the glass window to one of the classrooms before brushing his fallen fringe away. The blinds to that classroom luckily were down, hiding Yunho’s actions from the students. He walked down the long hallway, looking for the classroom Changmin currently was.

 

 

 

“A07…A08…A09, here you are.” He whispered as he stood in front of the sliding doors. Yunho could see from the door window where Changmin was. The younger sat the furthest away from the entrance of the classroom, next to the window, third row from the teacher’s desk. He had his chin resting on one of his hands while looking outside the window which sat next to him, clearly not listening. Yunho gave a scoff which soon turned into a soft smile as he looked at his baby brother. He knew where Changmin’s thoughts laid as his were the same.

 

 

 

“Isn’t that Yunho sun-saeng-nim?”

“Ahh! What is he doing here?”

“Do you think he’s looking for Im sun-saeng-nim?”

“No! That’s unfair! I had dibs on him first!”

 

 

 

The quite classroom became a little louder as the small chattering of the students grew. Even the maths teacher stole a quick look and found the other standing at the door. I’ve been found out, Yunho thought. The noise alerted Changmin, moving his gaze from the window and falling to his older brother who shot him a smile and a cheeky wave. Changmin’s face fell into a state of confusion.

 

 

 

“Hyung?” He muttered to no one in particular as he sat up straight. Fixing his attire before, Yunho knocked on the door three times and entered the classroom. He felt everyone’s eyes on him, burning holes all around his body. Even after all this time, it was still difficult for the young teacher to ignore it.

 

 

 

“Hello, Jung sun-saeng-nim. What brings you here?” Changmin’s teacher asked. She gave Yunho a smile, putting the math book she was holding down onto her desk. She stayed standing at her desk, her hands pressed on the surface to balance. She was of an exceptional beauty. Her brown hair, big doe eyes and beautiful smile would make anyone fall for her in a heartbeat. From memory, Yunho remembered her full name was Im Yoona.

 

 

 

“Hello Im sun-saeng-nim. Unfortunately, I’m here to take your student Jung Changmin-ssi from you. Principle Lee has allowed him to have an early leave.” He said politely, giving a small bow to the former.

 

 

 

“Ah, I see!” She exclaimed and looked over at Changmin who was looking at both teachers with widened eyes.

“Well, off you go then Changmin-ssi.” The boy looked at his teacher for a bit as a pregnant pause silenced the room. Hesitantly, Changmin stood up. The sound of his chair scratching against the laminate flooring echoed through the room. Slowly, he began packing his bags, wondering why he and Yunho were being called out. Suddenly, realisation hit him. Quickly, Changmin sped up, throwing everything in his bag before running over to his older brother. Yunho gave the boy a knowing smile before the both of them left the room. The elder gave a deep sigh once the door closed, thankful to the teacher than she didn’t question him unlike Park sun-saeng-nim.

 

 

 

“Let’s go.” Yunho said, picking up their pace once they reached the stairs. Changmin kept quiet, knowing that his questioned would be answered once they reached the car.  Their run there took close to 10 minutes with the help of some shortcuts. Yunho entered the car, sitting in the driver’s seat before wrapping his seat belt around his body while Changmin sat in the front passenger and doing the same. The younger took no time before he began questioning the elder once they were strapped in.

 

 

 

“Why did we get called? It must be important if we have to skip school, right? Is it another mission? Is it about Kyuhyun?” Yunho started the car and drove out of the school before merging with the road.

 

 

 

“It’s about Kyuhyun.” Changmin felt his heart drop. Finally, there’s news about him, he thought.

“He’s in trouble.” The younger’s body jerked violently to the side, facing the other as they continued driving down the road.

 

 

 

“WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE’S IN TROUBLE?” Changmin shouted, nearly jumping out of his seat. The boy’s high pitched shout left a sting in Yunho’s ear.

 

 

 

“Jung Changmin.” He said in a stern voice while keeping his eye on the road. The boy felt a shiver down his spine as his full name was called. Calming down, Changmin sunk back into his seat, waiting for the raven to speak.

 

 

 

“I’m not sure what has happened to Kyuhyun but I received a call from Chief Nam telling us that he wants to see us and that he knows something about Kyuhyun.” Changmin raised an eye brow at the mention of the Chief.

 

 

 

“Why would Chief Nam call you directly?” He asked.

 

 

 

“I don’t know. But I have a feeling it’s not good.” Changmin sensed the fear in Yunho’s voice as much as the elder tried to hide it. It was near to the impossible for Changmin to not hear the split second fear in the man’s voice as his face expressed no emotions.

 

 

 

“Hyung.” He called out, signalling to Yunho.

 

 

 

“I know.” With that, that young teacher pressed on the alliteration pedal and raced down the road.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ELLLOOO! I HAS UPDATED! Has anyone seen INFINITE's SNLK? OMG it's sooo good! I love them sooo much! <3 <3 <3 Any INSPIRITS here??

Please comment, subscribe and upvote! <3