Chapter 22: Real Name

Secret Assassins

 

Sunggyu paced up and down his living room, unable to keep still. Biting his nails, he looked up to the clock pinned to the wall. Noticing the lateness of his lover, the panic grew more and more. He wanted to call Woohyun again but his previous phone call with him told him not to. Everything was too confusing to him and he wanted answers. The detective’s patience was growing thin. After having an inner battle with his devils, he decided to leave the comfort of his own home and search for his missing pair. His home had become lonely in the hours without Kyuhyun and Woohyun. It made it all the more difficult for him to be here alone.

Sunggyu grabbed his keys with haste, running over to his to his front door. Carelessly, Sunggyu slid his feet into his shoes. Swinging his door open, he was met by another figure that was just about to unlock their front door and enter. The detective froze for a while as their eyes met, not believing the being that stood before him. Sunggyu felt his eyes water, seeing his lover standing in front of him. Relieved, he threw himself at Woohyun as his legs gave in.

 

 

 

“Hyun!” He cried out, wrapping his arms around the other’s neck. The tears took a while to disappear while Woohyun gave a light hearted chuckle to his lover and wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s waist. It was only then, the chief realised how much he missed having the other in his arms. It hadn’t been long since they last met but it felt like forever.

 

 

 

“Gyu? Is everything alright?” He asked once the taller had calmed down a little. There was no need to ask since he knew why Sunggyu was acting like that. Still, he pretended to not know.

Moving away from the front door, Woohyun slowly led their bodies towards the sofa while closing the front door and locking it behind them. Once they took their seat on the leather furniture, Sunggyu moved back ever so slightly so he could get a better look at his lover. His face glistened with the wet tears that stained his beautiful face. Woohyun raised his hand to wipe the tears on Sunggyu’s face with his thumb.

 

 

 

“I-I was worried…I thought something happened to you like Kyuhyun…” The other admitted but didn’t dare look at the other in the eyes as his thought had gotten the better of him. Woohyun bit his lip, not wanting to see affect by his lovers words as he held back a cry of sadness. He couldn’t let the other know what happened to Kyuhyun. Woohyun couldn’t let Sunggyu get hurt again. Not after it was his entire fault. It made him sound like a wimp but more than anything, Woohyun was afraid that Sunggyu would leave him after he found out the truth. He couldn’t image life without the other and he wasn’t going to start. Even if it meant keeping secrets from him, Woohyun would do anything to keep Sunggyu by his side.

 

 

 

“Don’t think about it too much, Gyu. I’m fine, see?” Woohyun smiled, moving his hand to Sunggyu’s chin and pushing the other to face him. He leaned in for a sweet peak on Sunggyu’s lips before parting but not too far as their foreheads remained touching each other’s.

“I’ll find Kyuhyun, I promise.” Their eyes locked for a minute as the detective scanned his lover’s eyes, trying to find something that would answer the questions he had in his head. Nothing, there was nothing. Usually it wasn’t so hard to tell if Woohyun was hiding something since Sunggyu could always tell but looking in his eyes but today was different. The walls the chief had up were a lot thicker than normal. He wanted to ask him but he couldn’t. Especially since Woohyun was trying so hard to cover it up. Sunggyu knew that it was confidential and that if he pried anymore, it could make the other upset.  Giving up, Sunggyu moved back and wiped the rest of his tears with his sleeve before he gave the other a smile.

 

 

 

“I know you will.” He said with a hopeful voice. It felt forever since he had Woohyun by his side. Like the other, he missed the chief more than he ever thought he would. Their time was sent not doing much as they stuck together like glue.

That night, they slept in each other’s arms.  Cuddled up to each other, Sunggyu watched as his lover whose dark circles were more prominent that before, slept soundly beside him. Woohyun had his arms wrapped protectively around Sunggyu’s body, pressing the other’s being against his own. The space between them was almost none existent. Sunggyu moved back a little so his vision covered a larger area, allowing him to see all of Woohyun’s features. He wanted to reach out and touch him but his arms were locked in the chief’s strong hold. As Woohyun continued to sleep, Sunggyu continued to watch. It took a while but soon enough; the detective fell into slumber with his last image being his lover’s sleeping face.

 

 

 

The next morning, Woohyun would not be beside him as the other wanted him to be. For the next three days, their meetings grow shorter and shorter but being a good boyfriend, Sunggyu does his best not to question his lover. All he had to do was trust him.

 

 

 

“Please be safe, Woohyun.” He prayed as he got ready for a new day. Work was waiting for him and he wasn’t going to let himself take a break. Instead, throwing himself in work would take his mind of things momentarily before he is forced to come back to an empty home. Sunggyu sighed, shacking off the unnerving feeling he had since his phone call with Woohyun.

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Woohyun looked at his phone, keeping his expression to the minimum as his eyes stayed glued at the attachment which was to him a few moments ago. He was sat at his office when a text was sent to his work phone with a short message and an image attached on it.

 

 

 

Is this yours?

 

 

 

The text read. Without thinking much, Woohyun opened the attachment. To his horror, the image showed the familiar face of a lady who was lying in a pool of blood in the fetal position and her head facing up. From the image, he could tell the girl was shot in the head and was no longer living. The criminal did their best to make the wound as obvious as possible. The amount of injures around her body counted to the hundreds as her thin body was bound, her clothing ripped to shreds and defiled. No wonder her phone was off… They found her.

 

 

 

“I’m so sorry Seungyeon… You did well.” He said as he put his phone with the screen down. Woohyun rested his forehead on his hand, keeping his head down as he tried to collect his thoughts. After finding out that Han Seungyeon, a detective who was working undercover for him had passed way, he needed time to rethink his plan. Not wanting another life to be lost, he prayed that everything would go accordingly.

From his informant, the panel (they were called. No one knew who part of it was but they had more power than anyone could imagine) had agreed to wipe out the whole of the underground society after deeming them dangerous, Woohyun had to get himself ready for their next action. In three days, everything would be over.

The chief picked up his personal phone which sat next to his work mobile, writing a simple message to someone.

 

 

 

We have three days. It has been decided.

 

 

 

He wrote and clicked send. There was no need to wait for a reply since he already knew what the other would answer. Woohyun sighed loudly and threw his head back, resting his body on his chair. Once again, he had failed someone. Apologising wasn’t going to bring back the dead. All he could do now was take her body back to her family where she would be laid to rest.

 

 

 

“!” He swore as the guilt became too much for him. Woohyun did his best to keep it in but the cry for help was fighting its way out. The pressure was too much.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Kyuhyun’s head lolled from side to side as the tears continued to drop. His wrists were bound together and wrapped behind him with a metal pole keeping him from falling forward. It was cold and he was tired but he didn’t want to sleep. His sister continued to lay unmoving in front of him as the pool for blood no longer grew. All the blood had already escaped her body and her non beating heart stopped supplying the substance.  His eyes resembled that of a dead fishes as he no longer felt anything but numb. Kyuhyun continued to watch his sister, hoping that it was all a dream and that she would rise from her place and tell him that it was all a joke. He waited and waited but it didn’t happen. Who was he kidding? This was the reality he was living in.

 

 

 

“Noona…” The young assassin managed to say through his dry, cracked lips. He moved forward to try and get closer to his sister but the metal pole kept him in his place. Kyuhyun wanted to scream, he wanted to shout but his body was already too exhausted.

“I’ll kill you all. I’ll kill you all…” He muttered under his breath, cursing at the people who took the life of his sister. It was at that very moment that the door to the abandoned warehouse opened. A man stepped in which Kyuhyun found out from the heaviness and depth of their footsteps. As the man came closer, the sound produced by his combat boots echoed in the empty surroundings.

 

 

 

“Cho Kyuhyun.” The man called out once he had reached the boy. The boots were now in Kyuhyun’s line of sight as his gaze was no longer on his sister but on the floor that stood below him. He tried looking up for a second but it was too dark to see the man’s face.

It was a new voice, on that Kyuhyun had never heard of before. Somehow, the voice had stirred something in him. He was sure that it was the first time hearing it but it was familiar with the deep tone that made him shiver inside. Immediately, he began scanning through his head, listing out all the voices that had a similar effect on him. Almost instantly, he had cast aside everyone close to him from the students/teachers at school to his family/other relatives. Kyuhyun began looking in the direction of his father’s workers and colleagues. Colleagues?

 

 

 

“You…You know my father.”  He said. The man laughed, throwing his head back as if what Kyuhyun said was the funniest thing in the world.

 

 

 

“Who doesn’t know your father?” The man replied in a snarky manner which pissed the assassin off.

 

 

 

“No. You know him more than the others… Who are you?” Kyuhyun said as he shook his head lightly. The man stood there, impressed by Kyuhyun’s knowledge despite only having his voice as the only clue. Kyuhyun knew even without seeing the man’s face that he had a proud smirk on his lips.

                                                                      

 

“You’re very clever Kyuhyun. My daughter did speak fondly of you after all.” The man said as he looked down at the assassin. His gaze was unnerving even for the assassin who was more or less immune to it. The other did nothing to help Kyuhyun’s mind as the questions from before began to flood him mind at a painful speed. He groaned at his newly obtained migraine.

 

 

 

“Your daughter… ?” Wait…

Did? What do you mean did?” Kyuhyun asked, his throat no longer stopping him from continuing his sentences as he brushed the pain aside.

 

 

 

“Unfortunately, she’s no longer living in this world. We were there, weren’t you? When she was murdered, that is.” Kim-ssi? Kyuhyun swung his head back so fast, he could have almost snapped his neck. The man stepped closer to the boy before crouching to meet Kyuhyun by the eyes. It was then; Kyuhyun finally had the answer to all his questions.

 

 

 

“Park Gyuri.” That was Kim-ssi’s real name. If that was true, that meant her father was Park Minjun.

 

 

 

It all made sense now.

Of course his voice was familiar.

 

 

 

 

He was the Minister of Public Safety and Security.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It has finally been revealed! Kim-ssi's real name!~