Chapter 23: The Recovery Mission

Secret Assassins

 

 

Their drive was quiet as Yunho drove down the semi busy motorway with Changmin in the front passenger seat. They were dressed in all black clothing which fit their body shape to perfection as they sped down the road. The sun was beginning to set as it was now coming close to dinnertime in Seoul. The assassins had an early meal, needing their strength for what they were going to next. Using a borrowed car from Woohyun, they were told that if there were any damaged to the vehicle, it was fine as it was a disposable object anyway. Human lives were on the line and a car was nothing compared to them. The police force always had vehicles for mission purposes as many of them were dangerous. Though they were disposable, they were a lot stronger than the average car with built in safety technology and bulletproof exteriors.  Many of the cars would come back barely scratched and could be used again with minimal repairs which were economically and environmentally better.

The younger of the two had transferred all of their equipment to the car before they drove off to their next location. Kyuhyun’s things, though minimum was still at their house. Changmin had contemplated bringing it but decided to anyway since you never knew what was going to happen.

 

 

 

“Changmin.” Yunho called out to his brother who had been looking out the window since the journey began. He knew the younger was listening so he didn’t wait for an answer before continuing the talk.

“We will go by our standard formation without Kyuhyun. Once we reach enemy ground, I need you to locate Kyuhyun as fast as possible. Don’t act until you I tell you, ok?” Knowing what Changmin was going through at the moment meant that his head was not in the right place. The chance that he was going to act before listening to reason was high and Yunho wasn’t going to let his brother’s unpredictable movements ruin their plan.

 

 

 

“Ok hyung.” The younger agreed. Yunho was thankful as their first priority was to get everyone out of there safely before the invasion of government troops arrived. According to Woohyun, the invasion would begin promptly at 00:00am which meant that still had more than enough time before they arrived. Yunho looked at the clock; it was now 18:32pm. How time flies.

 

 

 

Yunho parked the car a few streets away from where Kyuhyun was being held. They parked on an unlit street which to others was a stupid idea as criminals could easily break in without being noticed as the darkness shielded them from human vision. However, they had a look out who was keeping an eye on the vehicle. Furthermore, like the criminals, their existence would be hidden from their enemies.

They excited the car and opened the trunk. The two assassins began opening their bags and cases which held their perfect conditioned weapons. As they scanned the objects with the power to kill, they picked up their favoured ones before putting them in their holders which were wrapped around their bodies. Yunho made sure he and Changmin packed enough ammo in case anything was to go in the wrong direction which would require more ammo than usually needed. Changmin took two hand gun, a small dagger and 2 boxes of ammo. Yunho took two handguns, a smaller pistol, two daggers which were stuffed in both boots and 3 boxes of ammo. Once they were fully equipped, they attached a small camera on their left collar and an ear piece in their left ear. To complete their look, they wore the black night vision glasses provided by Woohyun a few days before which functioned as normal sunglasses until activated by a small button on the right hand side of the frame.

 

 

 

“Hyung.” Changmin called out, making Yunho stop in his tracks as the two brothers walked down the street. They would be staying by a nearby bed and breakfast until 9pm as most people would be indoors by that time, putting less risk on the two.

 

 

 

“Yes?” Yunho turned around when he heard his brother call him. Changmin was a few metres away from him. His thoughts had made him lose track of reality to the point he didn’t realised Changmin was no longer a step behind him.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry for how I’ve been acting these past few days. I didn’t mean it. It’s just that I was worri-“ Seeing the usually cool Changmin acting so flustered bought a smile to the teacher’s face. The younger was never one to panic very much and would always find an answer to his questions. In addition to that, Changmin was never one to act irrationally. Yunho knew the stress of Kyuhyun not being here had taken a toll on his body and more importantly, his mind. It was obvious what Changmin left for the latter. Even a blind man could see how much he loved the other. But fate had torn them apart even before Changmin could make the first step. Maybe this was meant to be. Maybe they weren’t fated to be together. It had the younger thinking this was which hurt Yunho, as a brother, to see.

 

 

 

“It’s alright Minnie. I know. It’s okay. We’ll bring Kyuhyun back so you don’t need to worry anymore. Everything will be alright.” By the time he had finished, Yunho was now in front of Changmin. With a smile, he pulled his younger brother in for an overdue hug, patting him carefully on his head. Changmin felt the need to cry but kept his tears in as they were in the middle of an important mission. Brushing his fear aside, he returned the hug. It lasted for no more than a minute before the two parted with smiles on their faces.

“Better?”

 

 

 

“Better. Thanks hyung.”

 

 

 

“Let’s go!”

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

While Changmin laid on his bed with Kyuhyun’s tablet in hand, Yunho was sat on next to the window which pointed in the direction of where Kyuhyun was kept. His guns were scattered on a small circular table as he cleaned every component, making sure it was in perfect condition. Being the older brother, he had Changmin’s guns cleared as well. Yunho looked at the clocked which read 8:45pm. There was 15 minutes left till the both of them would start their mission. He looked over at Changmin to see if the younger was ready for their first recovery mission in years. As though the younger knew what his brother was asking, he nodded. With one swift movement, Changmin flung his body off his bed, walking over to his brother.

 

 

 

“Is it time?” He asked as he stuffed the tablet back into a small bag which Changmin bought along. Yunho nodded, putting together the finishing parts to his hand gun before placing it back in the holder. Changmin did the same not before analysing his weapon to make sure everything was alright. Just as they both stood up, a muffled sound came from their ear pieces.

 

 

 

“Yunho-ssi, Changmin-ssi?” A voice spoke to them through the ear piece.

 

 

 

“Yes, Woohyun-ssi?” Yunho answered the chief.

 

 

 

“Great, you can hear me. As per our conversation from a few nights ago, I will be talking you through the operation. Because of my position, I cannot help you in any physical way. I will be watching everything through your night vision glasses and the various working CCTV around the area to make sure there are no disturbances.” Woohyun said as he sat behind the operation team who was currently controlling the area’s CCTV and viewing everything in one large screen for Woohyun to see. The team was made of 5 people who had worked with Woohyun on many occasions. They were his best team and were great friends of both Sunggyu and himself. Currently, they were in the 3rd floor of the station which belonged to the security officers who operated the city’s CCTV and security system. Everyone had gone home for the day and it was only the six of them left in the whole building. Just in case, Woohyun had one of them monitor the station’s CCTV to make sure no one could disturb them.

“Due to the lack of time, let me introduce my team to you. We have Kim Myungsoo who will be like a second pair of eyes to you as he will be monitoring you through the camera in your lenses. Sungyeol, who is in charge of the cameras which are facing directly towards the warehouse while Hoya will be backing him up with the surrounding CCTV cameras at a 5 mile radius. Dongwoo will be looking out for any disturbance within our station. Lastly, we have our maknae, Sungjong who will be looking at the overview of all the current CCTV cameras we are in control of.” Each officer had two monitors in front of them which covered different areas which Woohyun had ordered to be monitored. Their desks were placed in a way that they sat in a semi-circle. A large screen was placed high up on the wall for everyone to see. A seat and desk was placed at the peak of the curve, a few metres away which was where the chief currently sat. From there, Woohyun could see everything.

 

 

 

“Nice to meet you, Yunho-ssi and Changmin-ssi.” They greeted in unison.

 

 

 

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” Sungjong added.

 

 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you too.” Changmin answered to which Yunho agreed. They had heard to their names when hacking through the archives of the Seoul police department and had read p on them. Even without that information, their names were fairly well known as the best operations team in the whole country.

 

 

 

“Once again, I am forever grateful for everything.” Woohyun thanked the two.

 

 

 

 “No problem. We would do anything to get Kyuhyun back.” The assassin stated.

 

 

 

No words came from the other end which told Yunho that it was time to depart. He looked over at Changmin who was as ready as ever to leave. They packed the rest of their things before looking back at the room to make sure everything was in order. Leaving with a steady heart, they made their way to the enemy’s base.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

It took them a 15 minute walk there. City streets were light up with street lights and under it, people felt safe. However, for the assassins, that wasn’t a choice. They hid behind the darkness to make sure they were hidden. The streets were barren as Yunho wove through the smaller streets with Changmin following closely behind. Footsteps were as light as feathers which made it harder to be found out. Woohyun remained silent, hand in his heart as he watched the two professionals do their work.

Before they knew it, they approached the back door of the abandoned warehouse. With certainty, the two brother’s thoughts were the same as some unknown feeling made one thing certain to them. Kyuhyun was here. Yunho signalled to Changmin, telling the student to prepare as he took his favourite hand gun out of its holder.

 

 

 

“You are currently standing outside the back entrance. We don’t have CCTV cameras operating within the building. Only your glasses provide us with real time images of what is going on. Please stay on guard. We will look out for any sign of life but we cannot be certain that our warnings will arrive in time.” The dark haired raven spoke as he flicked through the security cameras, finally stopping to the camera which was built into the assassin’s glasses. He placed each camera on either screen, giving him the full view of the two brothers could see. Woohyun watched each screen intensely, picking out any suspicious movements which could harm their operation in any way.

 

 

 

“All clear.” The most feminine spoke as he quickly skimmed through the rest of the screens. He was sitting right in front of Woohyun and had the role of overlooking every part of this operation. Though he was the youngest out of the 5, he was also the most experienced in the field. That reason being, Woohyun had the most respect for the boy.

 

 

 

“Proceed.” He said once Sungjong had given them the go ahead.  Nothing else needed to be said as Yunho signalled over to Changmin that they were going to being the mission. Slowly, Yunho opened the door, making sure the sounds were kept at a minimal. Immediately, the stench of blood passed under their noses. It was cold enough to freeze water as their breath could be seen as a thin layer of smoke around their likes as they exhaled.  Changmin and Yunho looked at each other for a split second. Worry filled their eyes as the blood stench was as strong as ever. So bad that the smell of rotting flesh arrived a little afterwards, staying at the door became their only comfort.

Yunho entered through the back door while Changmin waited behind for his signal. The backdoor lead to a small room (which they guessed was used as an office before), located at the far left of the main warehouse. A metal stairwell blocked part of their view into the main location which was known as the ‘drop off’ area. Stealthily, the teacher crouched down, slipping beside an empty desk just opposite the door. The door itself was a metal door with nearly its top half covered with a glass window. With the stairwell blocking his view, he could only see the small light coming from what he guessed was from a window in the ceiling. He waved his hand, ushering Changmin to follow his previous movement. As soon as Yunho made his way to the wall beside the office door, Changmin shuffled to the desk that his brother was at before. Yunho pressed his back against the cold wall, feeling his bodysuit stick to it.

 

 

 

“My view is blocked. Can you see anything?” Yunho reported. Unlike their previous earpieces, there was no need to press a button for the sounds to feed through. Despite not liking the fact that all of their conversation could be heard through the ear piece, Yunho couldn’t say no when Woohyun offered them the gadget with a list of why it was better to use it for an operation like theirs.

 

 

 

“Negative.” Sungyeol replied as he flicked through the various screens to try and get a better view of the warehouse. In charge of the CCTV cameras around the warehouse meant that he had a wider view compared to the assassins. Unfortunately, since the warehouse had been abandoned, many of their cameras were old and broken which came to a disadvantage for the security officer.

 

 

 

“Can you open the door and try to make it to the stairwell?” Woohyun asked as he watched the images coming from Yunho’s camera screen that was currently the largest out of all the rest that was shown on the large screen.

 

 

 

“Roger.” Pressing his ear against the metal door, he flinched slightly from the coldness. From his position, there was not much to see. Sounds were inaudible from the other side. Taking a risk, Yunho decided he would try and make it to the other side.

“I’m going. Changmin, stay sharp.” Changmin nodded as he exchanged a look to his brother, telling him to be careful. Yunho let out a small smile before masking it with a blank expression. He moved to the other side of the door where the handle was before breathing in once. It was a lie to say he wasn’t nervous.

The assassin reached over to the handle, pulling it down slowly. Once he was sure handle was fully down, he opened it. The door let out a small squeak which caused the assassin’s heart to fall into his stomach. The two waited a bit, wondering if anyone had heard the sound as the others watched from their screens. A minute had passed and Yunho could no longer feel the cold around him. A drop of sweat dropped from his forehead and onto his hand which clutched the handle below. It was cold, his sweat. Deciding to stop hesitating, he opened the door enough for his body to pass. There was little to no sound which he was thankful for. As soon as the opening was side enough, Yunho slipped through. In addition, Changmin now took the space next to the door.

 

 

 

“He’s throu-” Myungsoo said but was cut off by a shout from Yunho’s earpiece.

 

 

 

“KYUHYUN!” The voice said. As soon as the voice appeared, a loud screech could be heard coming from the direction of the Chief. It was a voice they all knew but at this very moment, their minds had brushed it as something foreign. All expect one.

 

 

 

“I’m so sorry Chief. I just saw it.” Sungyeol apologised. He had been first to look up to Woohyun with Sungjong a second later. The others looked over to the chief whose eyes had widened greatly as he was stood up from his seat, looking up at the big screen with shock. Myungsoo, Hoya and Dongwoo looked up to the main screen, oblivious to what had happened. There, enlarged was a screen shot of the front door to the warehouse which was showing at an angle. It was the closed they could get to having a view of the door but most of it was cut off with the camera probably hanging at an awkward angle. A corner of a man’s face could be seen at the corner of the screen, entering the warehouse. It was small and could easily be missing. However, being the best team in South Korea, they didn’t let it slip. What shocked all of them was that they knew the person behind the screen.

 

 

 

“What?!” Hoya exclaimed as his eyes met what was left of the person’s figure in the screen shot.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I believe there will be two more chapters  after this! Chapter 25 will be the last~