Chapter 9

Hold On, my Warrior

 

Having arrived home, I found myself incredibly annoyed while thinking about what had happened earlier. In need of some relief, I decided to head over to the place Gunwoo had taken me before. I grabbed my board and headed over there. When I arrived, the place was quiet and empty. Damn...Seems like it’s closed today. Having nothing else to do, I boarded around the neighborhood, trying to find something fun. After a couple minutes, I found the perfect place. Excited, I picked my board up and ran to the arcade; its flashing lights welcoming me in. I hadn’t been to an arcade in months; I had to stop going when my reputation grew too large back in Seoul. I ran in and started playing game after game, dominating almost all of them except for one; someone named Mama Beat held the high score, and I couldn’t beat it no matter how hard I tried. I had been playing the game for about a half-hour when I noticed a group of about five kids walk in. they scanned the room until one of them seemed to find what they were looking for. I watched out of the corner of my eye as they made their way towards a small blonde boy in the back. I watched as they surrounded him, and one of them shoved the kid, causing him to crash into some of the others. They said something to each other, and then suddenly one of them grabbed the now-panicked looking kid, and they dragged him out the back exit. I went back to my game, but I was too busy thinking about the kid’s pleading face that I couldn’t focus. I finally couldn’t take it anymore, and grabbed my board and went out the same way they had gone. I looked around and saw them a little ways off in the alley with the blonde kid on the ground; I could see blood on his face from here. I saw one of them kick his head, and that was enough for me. I walked over to them; they didn’t notice me until I was right next to them. “Who the hell are you?” One of them asked rudely. I ignored him and walked up to the kid who had just kicked the boy’s face. He glared at me. “The hell do you wa-” He was cut off as I slammed my board into his face, probably knocking a few teeth loose. He fell to the ground, crying out and clutching his face in pain. Before the other guys could react, I punched two in the face, slammed my board into another, and kicked the last one in the chest, causing him to fly back and hit his head on the wall. They all collapsed to the ground, and I looked back at the blonde kid, who was now staring at me, jaw slacked. I held my hand out, and he tentatively grabbed it, using it to pull himself up. “We should probably get out of here.” I said, and he nodded in agreement. We left the alley and walked a couple blocks away to a little park, where we sat down on a bench. “Thank you.” He said quietly. I looked at his bowed head and smiled. “There’s no need to thank me. I just did what anyone would do.” I ruffled his hair, and he looked at me, eyes round. “I’m Hyunsoo. What’s your name?” I smiled. “I’m DoYeon.” “Ah~ DoYeon noona... It’s nice to meet you!” I laughed, “It’s nice to meet you too.” He suddenly stood up. “Ah! Would you come to my house and let me thank you properly?” He asked, excited. I agreed to his request, and he grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him, a little ball of energy. I didn’t really pay attention to where we were going, until I noticed some familiar sights. I didn’t think too much of it until he pulled to a stop in front of a house. I looked at it, confused. “This is where you live?” I asked, and he nodded enthusiastically. “I live here with my hyung! Ah, speaking of which! There he is! Hey hyung! I made a new friend today!” I turned around to see Gunwoo staring at me in shock. “This noona saved me from some bullies today!” Hyunsoo continued. I smiled sheepishly as Gunwoo grinned. “Did she now? That was very nice of her.” He suddenly walked to the front door and opened it. “Won’t you come in?” I smiled and accepted his offer. I turned to him as I was walking past him. “I didn’t know you had a little brother.” He grinned. “There’s a lot you don’t know about me. I’d like to change that, though.” I smiled and walked into the house. We went into the kitchen, and Hyunsoo began making dinner. The three of us talked, and Hyunsoo was surprised to learn that Gunwoo and I already knew each other. We chatted about normal stuff: what we like to do, our favorite movies, what we hate. I learned a bit more about Gunwoo: that his parents had died about five years ago, and that he had raised Hyunsoo all by himself. He did all sorts of odd jobs in order to get money, and now they were living comfortably because of it. I also learned that Hyunsoo was only one year younger than me; though he looks at least four years younger. I learned that even though they go to the same school, nobody knows the two of them are related. Hyunsoo wanted it that way because he didn’t want anybody to feel intimidated by his brother’s reputation. However, he is occasionally bullied; he has forbidden Gunwoo from ever interfering, just in case they get found out. He prefers to deal with them by himself, and has become fairly tough because of it; he’s not the greatest fighter though. I was amazed at how strong he was mentally, for being able to deal with being bullied, and still be able to smile so brightly. He soon finished making dinner – bulgolgi with kimchi and rice – and we stopped talking to enjoy it. After finishing, I thanked him for dinner, and declared that I had to go home. “I don’t want Noona to leave!” Hyunsoo pouted, and I laughed and ruffled his hair. “I’ll see you again soon.” I said, smiling. “Pinky promise?” He held his hand out. “Pinky promise.” I said, linking our pinkies together, and touching our thumbs. He hugged me quickly, and then let me turn to say goodbye to Gunwoo. He walked me out, and stood at the door shyly. “So, I guess this is goodbye again.” I smiled. “I guess so. I’ll see you sometime soon though.” He smiled. “I’ll count on that. See ya.” I waved goodbye, and then headed home; my stress from earlier completely gone.