Chapter 19

Hold On, my Warrior

 

 

 

I had school the next day, so I was up early against my body’s protests. Lay came out of his room right before I left and gave me a hug, resting his head on my shoulder. “I won’t be here when you get back; I have a train to catch at noon. Take care of yourself here. If you ever have trouble with anything, just call me. You have my number, right?” I nodded, and he pulled away and gave me a little kiss on my temple. “Don’t let those guys mess with you.” I smiled. “Don’t worry; you know I’m tougher than I look. I can take on anyone who comes after me.” He sighed and ruffled my hair. “That’s not what I meant, but I know you won’t get it.” I was about to retort, when I heard a knock on the front door. I gave Lay one last hug and then grabbed my bag and went to answer the door to see Hyesu standing there. I yelled, “I’m off!” and then left with her. “So your mystery tenant is gone now?” Hyesu asked. “Yeah,” I said. “He left the other day.” She tried to quiz me some more on him, but I refused to tell her anything, and she eventually dropped it before we reached Sora. Sora was happy to see me again, and the three of us walked to school. The day went by peacefully; Kris hadn’t told anyone about my being friends with Gunwoo, and even told me he was looking forward to seeing the look on Daehyun’s face when he took him to the club at the end of the week. I passed Himchan in the hallway during lunch, and was surprised when he greeted me, which I returned. That was pretty much all the excitement of the day. Things didn’t get interesting until later that night. I decided to stop by the club again, so I headed over there a bit after school ended; I wasn’t meeting Himchan until tomorrow. I arrived at the club and looked around for Gunwoo, but he wasn’t there. I then checked out what they were doing tonight, and saw it was another rap battle. Having nothing else to do, I waited until the people battling were done, and then I went up to challenge the winner. I beat him and continued doing so with other contenders for a while. After a little bit I noticed a guy staring intently at me from the back of the club. I stared back at him while the announcer was asking for any more volunteers to go against me. There was a bit of silence, and then the guy – our eyes still locked – raised his hand and stepped forward. The crowd clapped as he stepped onto the stage, smirking at me. The announcer asked if he had a stage name, and he said – without breaking eye contact with me – “Rap Monster”. I smirked. “That’s a bold name; let’s see if you deserve it.” The beat started and – as the winner of the last fight – I began the battle. It was an incredibly close battle – the guy was really good – but I ended beating him in the end. I followed him off the stage and was heading out of the club when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see him standing there smirking, hand sticking out towards me. “I’m Namjoon. What’s your name, pretty lady?” I hesitated, and then took his hand. “I’m DoYeon.” “Well, DoYeon, you’re the first person to ever beat me in a rap battle. I‘m impressed.” “You’re pretty good yourself. I guess that name suits you after all. It was fun.” With that, I left and headed home for the night. The next day I went to school and everything was still normal. Everything was normal; that is, until lunch. I was staying in the classroom today, and was eating lunch SoHyun when all of a sudden the classroom door opened. I didn’t pay attention to it, since people are always coming in and out of the room during lunch, until I heard someone say my name. I looked up and froze in shock at the figure leaning against the doorframe with a smirk on his face. “What the hell are you doing here, Namjoon?”