Chapter 13

Hold On, my Warrior

 

The night went by without anything happening. When morning came, I awoke to the soft sounds of an acoustic guitar. Confused and groggy, I slowly got up and tried to look for the source. I stumbled out of my room and realized the sound was coming from Himchan’s room. I glanced at the time and saw that it was just past five in the morning. I sighed and went over to his room and opened the door to see a messy haired Himchan sitting on the bed holding a guitar in his hands. “What’re you doing?” I yawned, rubbing my eyes. “Oh, did I wake you? Sorry. I saw the guitar and couldn’t help myself. I haven’t played in ages. It really calms me.” I waved my hand. “Nah, it’s fine. You can keep playing.” I sat down on the floor in front of him and pulled my knees up, resting my chin on them. He hesitated, and then started to play again. I closed my eyes and listened to the gentle melody that he skillfully plucked. It was hard to imagine that a guy as rough and y as Himchan could make something this beautiful. I lost myself in the music, and almost didn’t realize when he had stopped playing. I opened my eyes and looked up to find him staring at me. “What is it?” I asked, disappointed that he had stopped. “Oh...nothing. I’ve just never played for someone before.” “Why not? You’re amazing.” He blushed. “My father doesn’t deem the guitar fit for the son of a CEO. He took all of my guitars away when he found out I was learning to play.” I scowled. “Well that’s just rubbish. You’ve got serious talent. Believe me: if you didn’t, I wouldn’t have let you even touch her.” He looked confused for a second, but then looked down at the guitar. “Oh, is this yours?” I laughed. “Who else’s would it be? I used to play a few years back. It was my solace after my father died. That guitar was his last gift to me.” He suddenly looked down at the guitar in his hands, eyes wide. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” He tried to hand it over to me, but I just laughed and put my hand in it, stopping him. “It’s okay. Like I said: if you didn’t have the talent, I would have already taken her away from you.” I smiled and got up. “Why don’t you get ready for school? Your leg seems well enough already to walk normally, so go ahead and get dressed.” I went and got ready, and soon enough I was downstairs with Himchan, eating breakfast. We ate and said goodbye to my mom before heading off to school. We got to school early and split up to go to our respective classes. With time to spare, I sat at my desk and took a nap. I was woken up by someone shaking me. I opened my eyes to see Hyesu and Sora standing over me. “What’s up?” I mumbled, still half asleep. “Where were you this morning?” Hyesu asked. “I stopped by your house, but your mom said you had already left.” “Oh, sorry about that. I have someone staying with me, so I left a bit earlier than usual.” “Eh?” Sora said. “Who’s staying with you?” “Just a friend.” I said, smiling in a way that told them I didn’t want to talk about it. “They’re only staying for a couple of days.” I could tell they wanted to ask more, but they decided to drop it, much to my relief. I didn’t want to have to lie to them, but they would freak out if I told them Himchan was staying with me. All of a sudden Kris showed up out of nowhere and grabbed Hyesu from behind, pulling her away while she squealed. Daehyun came up and put his arm around Sora and looked at me. “Congrats on being first in the entire school DoYeon.” I looked at him, confused. Kris suddenly came back, carrying Hyesu in one arm and tickling her as she tried – unsuccessfully – to break free. “Yeah! How the hell did you manage that one? You never pay attention in class!” “I’m ranked first?” I asked, still confused. “You didn’t know?” Sora asked, and I shook my head. “I never really pay much attention to the rankings.” “Well, you’re first!” Daehyun said. “You’ve got bragging rights now!” I wasn’t thinking about my bragging rights though. “What about Himchan? What place did he get?” “Eh?” Daehyun asked, confused. “Why?” “I’m just curious.” “Well, they only show the first 50 on the list, and Himchan has never been on it, as far as I know.” “Ah... Is that so?” I said, half to myself. Suddenly the bell rang, and everyone ran to their seats. Once school was over, I went and waited at the front gates. Himchan soon showed up and was surprised to see me. We didn’t talk much during the walk back to my place. It wasn’t until he was about to go into his room that I spoke up. “Hey, did you hear about me being ranked first in the school?” I asked, and he turned to look at me. “Good for you.” Was all he said before turning back to go into his room. “I could help tutor you if you want.” I quickly said, causing him to freeze. “It’s not as a charity. Think of it as one friend helping another.” He turned around to look at me. “Are you serious?” I crossed my arms and stared at him. “Why would I be joking? Do you want my help or not?” He stared at me for a second before replying. “Yes...” I smiled. “Okay. We’ll start now. Get your books.” We got comfy in his room and began to go over what he did and didn’t know. He didn’t complain once and just focused on learning. I sat back and watched him work about an hour into our session. I relaxed and watched his furrowed brow with amusement when all of a sudden I heard a knock on the front door. I heard my mom go answer it and squeal. All of a sudden she ran up the stairs and threw open the door, startling Himchan out of his trance. “DoYeon! There’s a very special guest here for you!” Curious, I told Himchan to keep studying as I went down to see who it was. The moment my foot touched the ground floor, I felt someone tackle me in a huge hug and yell into my ear, “DoYeon!”Wait a second... I know that voice! I pulled away and stared into the eyes of my closest friend. “Lay!”