Chapter 12

Hold On, my Warrior

 

Himchan wasn’t at school the next day. Nobody paid much attention to his absence and just went about their usual business. During lunch I approached Kris and Daehyun; they tried to ask me about what had happened last night, but I dismissed their questions. “What do you guys know Himchan’s dad?” I asked them. “Well...” said Daehyun. “Kim YoungHo is one of the richest men in this country, he’s respected and feared by his workers, and he’s very set on perfection. He’s also the reason why Himchan is able to do anything he wants without getting in trouble for it.” Apparently not anything. “Himchan hardly ever sees him.” Daehyun continued. “He’s almost always overseas somewhere. He’ll only come back a couple times a year. We’ve never actually met him.” That was all he knew, so I thanked him, and went back to my seat. “Is something wrong?” SoHyun asked as I sat down. “I don’t know... I just can’t shake this bad feeling.” I muttered, half to myself. The rest of the day went by, and soon school was over. I went home for a little while, but still couldn’t shake the bad feeling my gut was giving me. Why the hell should I be worrying about what happens to that bastard? He’s a rotten guy. He just didn’t come to school because he didn’t want to be seen as weak with his hurt leg. Besides, or not, that man’s his father. He won’t hurt him anymore than just a slap. I told myself this over and over until it completely lost its meaning. I finally couldn’t take it anymore and told my mom I was going out for a bit. It wasn’t until I was standing in front of his house, that I realized I didn’t have a plan. I decided I didn’t care, and I introduced myself as Himchan’s friend, come to check up on him. I was granted entrance, and I made my way up to Himchan’s room. I was about to knock on his door when I heard a loud voice come from inside. I recognized it as Himchan’s dad, and immediately froze, listening to what he was saying. “Our whole deal was that I leave you alone, and you maintain a spot in the top 10 at your school. How simple of a request is that? And yet, I hear you’re placed in the low hundreds! You had better get your act together, or there’s no way you’re going in inherit my company. I’m leaving in a couple of days, and if I have to come back here again because of your grades, you’re done.” I heard footsteps, and I ran into the room next door just as Kim YoungHo burst out of the room. I waited a good minute before walking back over to Himchan’s room. I knocked lightly on the door and heard a “Come in”. I opened the door to see Himchan taking his shirt off. He turned to me, and our eyes locked. “Sorry! I didn’t know you were changing!” I spurted out, quickly exiting the room and closing the door behind me. I stood there for a moment before processing what I had just seen. I suddenly threw the door open and burst into the room, startling Himchan, who had just put his shirt back on. I stomped over to him and yanked his shirt up before he knew what was happening. I stared in disbelief at the plethora of bruises covering his chest. He quickly yanked his shirt out of my grasp and put it back down. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” he yelled. I glared at him. “Is this his doing?” I growled. “It’s none of your business!” he shoved me back, but I stood my ground. “Did you forget? It’s my job to protect you.” I said, glaring at him. “Pack a bag.” He looked at me, confused. “Excuse me?” “Your dad’s leaving in a couple of days, right? You’ll be staying with me until then. No arguing. Pack a bag.” I then sat down in his chair and crossed my arms, waiting. He stared at me, dumbfounded, and then slowly began getting a bag together. After he was done, he told a maid where he was going, and we quietly made our way out of the house. When we arrived at my house I had him wait outside while I went to explain things to my mom. I asked her keep my being a girl a secret – which she accepted without questions – and explained that Himchan was going to be staying with us for the next few days. “Kim Himchan?! The son of the CEO of the Victory Group?!” “Yes, that one. Please don’t make a big deal about it.” I pleaded. “Don’t worry.” She said, smiling. “He won’t be treated any differently than a normal boy in my house; no matter how much money he has.” I smiled in thanks and then went back to let Himchan in. I introduced him to my mother, whom he bowed to, much to my surprise, and then showed him upstairs to where he would be staying. It was the room right across from mine, and I told him as much. I told him to come to my room if he needed anything, and then bid him goodnight and turned to go into my room. “Thank you.” It was hardly more than a whisper; so quiet that I thought I imagined it. I spun around, only to see Himchan gone, and the door to his room closed. I shook my head and turned back around and walked into my room, closing the door behind me.