Chapter 17

Hold On, my Warrior

 

I woke up the next morning with a stiff neck. During the night I had somehow managed to go from a normal sitting position to hanging off the couch; one leg bent over the back, one on Lay’s shoulder – who was still sitting normally with his head back and mouth wide open – and my head and arms hanging off the edge of the seat. I groaned and got up, stretching. I looked at the time and saw that it was in the afternoon. I groaned and kicked Lay, startling him awake with a snort. “Are you two finally awake?” I turned and saw my mother standing in the doorway smiling. I nodded as Lay yawned and stood up and stretched. “Well come on and get something to eat.” She walked into the kitchen and we followed her. We quickly ate, gradually waking up. By the time we finished eating we were lucid enough to communicate. “Oh, I have something to tell you.” Lay said, rubbing his eyes. “That Gunwoo guy wanted me to tell you that he wants the two of us to stop by that place again today, since it’s my last day here.” “When the hell did he tell you that?” I asked. “The other night when you were performing.” I thought about it for a second. “As long as Woosuk and Jonghyo don’t stop by, then hell yeah we’ll go.” At that moment I heard a knock on my door. I sighed and went to answer it. I opened it to see Woosuk and Jonghyo both standing there, sweaty and panting. “We just finished our morning run, DoYeon-ssi!” Woosuk said as Jonghyo tried to catch his breath. “That’s good,” I said. “Now go practice the moves from yesterday with each other until about an hour before you go for your night run.” I then slammed the door shut and went back into the kitchen. I heard a faint “Yes, DoYeon-ssi!” as I sat back down. “Well, that’s taken care of.” I said, smiling at Lay who just laughed. I then went and showered to get ready for later. When I came out I found Lay in the guest room, holding my guitar. I stood in the doorway, drying my hair, and stared at him. “What are you doing?” I asked, and he just stared at the guitar. “I really miss watching you play.” He said after a second. I sighed. “Yeah, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?” “It will be three years in December.” He said quietly. I stood there silently staring at the guitar for a minute before suddenly whipping the towel I was using to dry my hair down; making it make a snapping noise. “Let’s not think about bad things right now. I’m going to get dressed, and then we can head over there, alright?” Lay smiled and nodded, gently putting the guitar back on its stand. I gave it one more glance before heading into my room to get dressed. Soon enough we were making our way back to the underground club. “Oh,” Lay said suddenly. “Is it cool if I invite a friend?” I looked at him. “You know someone else here besides me?” “Yeah, he’s an old friend from when I used to live in China. He moved here years ago, but I never had the chance to visit him.” I smiled. “Of course. I would love to meet him.” He pulled out his phone and quickly texted his friend. He sent the message right as we arrived. We walked down and were greeted by the same loud music and cheering. We soon found Gunwoo and walked over to him. “Hey” I said, smiling. “Hey! I’m glad you guys could make it!” He said, grinning. “I wanted Lay to be able to enjoy himself properly before he leaves.” He added, gesturing at the floor, where people were dancing. I slapped Lay on his back and smiled at him. “Y’hear that buddy? Knock yourself out.” Lay bro-hugged Gunwoo and high-fived me before jumping into the middle of the floor, knocking the other person out of it. “I think you just made his night.” I said laughing, turning to Gunwoo. “That’s good.” He said, smiling back at me. We stayed there chatting for a little bit before Lay came back, panting. “I just got a text from my friend. He said he’s right outside.” He suddenly glanced at the entrance and broke out in a huge grin. “Yi Fan! Over here!” I turned to see his friend and froze, shocked, as he walked over to us. He gave Lay a huge hug and then turned to me and Gunwoo and froze as well. “Oh, DoYeon-ah?” I gave him an awkward smile, now overly conscious of Gunwoo standing next to me. “Hey Kris.”