Chapter 6

Hold On, my Warrior

 

 

I managed to finish my first full day of school, but I was still completely ticked off by the time I left. I had a lot of stress to get out, so I decided to go for a run. I stopped by my house to change and tell my mom where I was going. Now dressed in sweats and a tank top, I set off, hardly paying attention to where I was going. I had been running non-stop for about a half-hour when I suddenly felt someone’s hand collide with my back. I whipped around, my leg swinging in a hook kick. I felt a hand stop my foot, and I turned my head to see Gunwoo standing there holding my leg in the air. “Nice form” he said, smiling, and released my leg. I regained my balance and looked at him, embarrassed. “Haha, sorry about that.” He laughed and shook his head. “Nah, that was my fault. I shouldn’t have snuck up on you like that. I just wanted to make sure it was you, and that my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. What are you doing down in this area?” “Just trying to let off a bit of steam” I said, wiping some sweat off of my forehead. “Where are you headed to?” Gunwoo smiled. “I’m headed to this little hole-in-the-wall about a couple blocks from here. I got there every so often. They host dance and rap cipher battles there.” I perked up instantly. “Dance cyphers?” “Yeah, you interested?” I nodded. “That’s exactly what I need today. Can I come?” He smiled. “Of course. It’s this way.” We arrived pretty quickly, and I was greeted by the sound of hip hop blasting and loud cheering. There were about 15-20 people in the place, and they were all focused on whoever was dancing at the moment. Now this is more like it. While I was taking in my surroundings, a guy parted from the crowd and walked over to us. “Hey, glad you could make it today Rasa.” “Hey man, I told you before; when I’m with friends, I’m Gunwoo. Save that Rasa stuff for other times.” “Alright, alright. If you say so.” Gunwoo and the guy hugged, and I looked at them, stunned.  “So you really are that Rasa?” I asked, still not fully believing it. Gunwoo sheepishly smiled and nodded, and the other guy looked at me. “Who’s this?” Gunwoo smiled and put his arm around me. “This is Kim DoYeon. She’s going to hang out with us today. Maybe show us some of her moves.” He winked at me, and the guy’s face lit up. “Oh, this is the girl you were tal-” He was cut off as a flustered Gunwoo shoved his hand over his mouth, silencing him. The guy seemed to get the message, so Gunwoo released him, his face red. “I’m Eden, by the way.” They guy said, holding out a hand, which I took. “It’s nice to meet you.” I said, smiling. “You know,” he said thoughtfully. “I didn’t know what you looked like, but I expected you to be more...” “Feminine?” I asked, laughing. He nodded sheepishly and Gunwoo hit him upside his head. “Ow! What was that for?!” “That was rude of you!” I laughed and put my hand on Gunwoo’s shoulder. “It’s seriously okay. I’m used to those kinds of reactions. They don’t bother me in the least bit.” He looked down at my hand on his shoulder and quickly turned away, his face red. Eden snickered and slapped him on the back. “Well, let’s go check out tonight’s competition, shall we?” Gunwoo and I agreed, and we went to the edge of the crowd and looked at who was dancing. “Ah, Junhong’s going at it.” Gunwoo muttered. “Junhong?” I asked curiously as I watched the boy pull some amazing moves. “Yeah, he’s one of the best dancers I know. He gives even me a run for my money.” I watched as the boy amazed the crowd, and turned back to Gunwoo. “So, are we allowed to jump in at any time?” He looked and me and smiled. “Yeah, but nobody ever likes going up against Junhong.” I smiled, grabbed the hat he was wearing, and jumped into the ring. The crowd cheered as I put the hat on and started to boyoing. Junhong backed up into the crowd as I did a hip twist into a coin drop and started working some flares. I did a few flares, and then started doing a 6-step, leading in to an air chair. I got up and started to krump, ending it with a back flip. The crowd cheered, and Junhong bowed, smiling. All of a sudden I felt the hat be torn off my head, and I spun around to see Gunwoo right in front of me put the hat on and start a Latin Step, pushing me back with a smirk on his face. I complied and walk backwards next to Junhong; who high-fived me while smiling. I watched as Gunwoo started doing a bunch of incredibly complex moves, and even a couple suicides. The crowd was going wild for him, and he loved it. I could see him grinning when he slowed down enough. He ended it with a flag freeze, and I took that as my invitation. I jumped in with a side flip, and went straight down into windmills, then a side spin and belly swipe. Gunwoo jumped in when I was done, and we battled back and forth for a while until we were both exhausted. We both collapsed in the middle of the ring while everyone gave us one last cheer and then started leaving. Eventually it was just the two of us left, lying on the floor next to each other, panting. Gunwoo suddenly rolled onto his side and propped his head up with his arm, looking at me. I turned my head to look at him too. “So,” he began, still out of breath. “How’s your stress now?” I laughed, a slight wheeze ringing out. “It’s definitely gone now, thanks to you.” “I’m glad I could help” He replied, grinning. We lay there for a little bit longer until it was too late for me to postpone my walk home any longer. “Cinderella’s off again.” Gunwoo sighed, causing me to laugh. “I’ll see you again sometime. And thanks again. I had a lot of fun.” I said, starting to walk towards the door. I heard him get up and rush over to me, grabbing my shoulder. I turned around to see him seemingly struggle with his words. “W-when will we see each other again?” he finally asked, his face red. “Do you have a cell phone?” I shook my head sadly. “Sorry, I don’t. I tend to break them too quickly, so my mom got sick of buying me them.” “Oh, then I guess this is goodbye for now.” I gave him a little smile and patted him on the shoulder. “I’ll come back here soon, so make sure you’re here when I do!” He nodded, smiling. “I will be.” With that, I headed off home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

NOTICE: I would just like to say that I may not be able to post too many chapters this week because of finals and graduation, but I will make up for it! I will try to post as often as I can this week, but I cannot make any promises. Once this week is over, I will be back to updating regularly! Thank you!

 

P.S.: all of you lovely people who comment motivate me to get even more chapters done! ^^ I appreciate all of you who enjoy my story so much! Thank you~!