Chapter 1

Hold On, my Warrior

 

 

It’s halfway through the school year, and here I am...transferring yet again. After being forced to leave my last school due to certain... “complications” with my behavior, my mom decided it was time to take me away from the city. She thinks leaving the big, bustling city and getting away from all of the gang wars will be good for me. “Right when I was making a name for myself...” I muttered, annoyed. “What was that?” my mother called out. “Nothing!” “Well, you’d better hurry up if you don’t want to be late for your first day!” I sighed in exasperation, but grabbed my bag none-the-less and headed towards the door. “I’m leaving!” I called out, putting my shoes on. “Have a good day! Make new friends! Be go-“ she was cut off as I closed the door behind me and stepped out onto the street. Well, here we go; another school, another life. Let’s see how well this one goes. I set down my skateboard and rode off towards my new school; not exactly looking forward to what awaits for me there.

 

I could already tell I wasn’t going to like my new school the instant I set eyes on it, and the people walking through the gates. Everything about it screamed “snobbish”. It wasn’t incredibly extravagant – otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to afford it – but something about it felt that way. I kicked up my board as I gazed around at my fellow students. The place was filled with girls checking their makeup in their mirrors and guys comparing watches and backpacks. What happened to the dance battles in the middle of the courtyard? Or the guys skating around while girls cheered them on? What happened to the kids who don’t care about materialistic things, and just like to have fun? This wasn’t going to be a good place for me. I didn’t fit in here. Regardless of my feelings, I had made a promise to my mother, and I am someone who upholds their promises. I shrugged my bag up onto my shoulder, and set off towards my classroom. I arrived just before the bell, and the teacher ushered me in. “I take it you’re the new student? Kim DoYeon?” I nodded, silent. “I was told you were a girl! Well, no matter! You can introduce yourself to the class once the bell rings. Oh, and when do you plan on getting your uniform?” I looked down at my tattered jeans and t-shirt. “Oh, I think they should be coming in today. I’ll go pick them up after school.” She nodded and smiled as the bell rang. “That is perfectly fine! Oh! Class has now started. Please come to the front with me.” The teacher calmed down the class and waited for them to all get in their seats. Once they had, all eyes went straight to me. I could almost hear the gears turning in their heads as they tried to figure me out. I stared straight ahead, straight-faced, as the teacher introduced me. I bowed my head slightly, greeting them all, and then proceeded to the seat that the teacher indicated at, after putting my board in the back. I sat down next to an anxious looking girl with her head bowed down towards her desk. As I sat down, I noticed the people around us give her dirty looks. Great. It’s my first day, and I’ve already managed to interact with the target. As I sat down, the teacher began her lecture and I zoned out. I noticed – out of the corner of my eye – a couple of guys flicking small items at my desk partner. I rolled my eyes and tried to tune it out, but when one particularly large one hit her in the face, causing her to flinch in fear, I snapped. My hands clenched together so tightly that the pencil I had been using to doodle snapped in half. The girl flinched at the sound and looked at me, eyes wide. I tossed the now useless end of the pencil onto the ground, and pulled a sheet of paper from my notebook. I scribbled down a note and slid it over to her. She looked at me, terrified, but I kept staring straight ahead, emotionless. She glanced down at the note, read it, and then passed it back subtly. I looked down and read her reply.

What did you do?

                   You shouldn’t talk to me, otherwise they’ll target you too.

 

I sighed, annoyed, wrote a reply, and passed it back to her. We passed notes until right before class ended.

 

I don’t care. Just tell me what you did.

                        I rejected Kim Himchan...he asked me out, I said no, and now I’m the target of everyone in the school.

...seriously? that’s it? Who are these s throwing at you?

                        They’re a couple of Himchan’s gang members. They’re not that good at fighting, so they love it whenever Himchan decides to target someone. They target weaklings.

How long has this been going on?

                   Them targeting me?

Yeah

                        About 3 months.

I’m DoYeon

                        I’m SoHyun. It’s nice to meet you.

I was excruciatingly pissed off by the time the bell rang, signaling the end of class. Right after the teacher walked out, the two goons got up, sauntered over to our table, and one of them slammed his hand down while the other one smirked. “Hey, new kid” one of them said to me, while staring straight at SoHyun’s bowed head. “It’d be best if you stay away from SoHyun here. She’s got a poisonous personality.” “Yeah,” the other one chimed in. “You can’t trust her.” The first guy now sized me up and looked in my eyes. “You seem like a cool dude. You should hang out with us.” He stretched out a hand. “I’m Woosuk, but you can call me King. This is Jonghyo.” Having finally had enough, I slowly stood up – pencil gripped tight in my left hand – and looked them both in the eyes. I reached over with my right hand to shake King’s hand, grabbed it, and pulled him in close, startling everyone. I leaned in and whispered in his ear, “Who the hell do you think you are, telling me who to hang out with?” I then pulled back and punched him in his stomach with my left hand. He doubled over, crying out, and Jonghyo quickly threw a punch at my head, trying to catch me off-guard. I caught his hand and pulled him in, kneeing him in the jaw. He fell to the ground, stunned. He was lucky I hadn’t used my full strength. I heard a couple of chairs behind me screech as they were pushed back, and turned in time to see to fists fly at me. I dodged them both, and shoved my two assailants away. I regained my stance, and looked at them. “And whom might you be, getting yourselves mixed up in this fight?” I asked, looking at two really good-looking boys who looked as though they had never thrown a punch in their life. The taller one (man, was he tall) was the first to answer. “I’m Kris. This is Daehyun. We’re Himchan’s right and left hand men, respectively. It’s nice to make your acquaintance.” I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm, and got into my fighting stance. “Yeah, great to meet you too. Now, can we get this over with?” They were about to oblige me in my wish, when the next teacher suddenly walked in. “What’s going on?” he asked, bewildered. “Why are Woosuk and Jonghyo on the floor?” I sighed and sat down. “They injured themselves while trying to pick a fight with SoHyun here” Daehyun said. I glanced up, surprised, and saw him wink at me. Class started, the two idiots were sent to the nurse’s office and, right as I was getting settled back in to zoning out, and folded piece of paper landed on my desk. I glanced up and caught eyes with Kris and Daehyun. Daehyun motioned for me to open it, so I did as he instructed.

 

We won’t tell if you don’t.

 

I glanced back at them and saw Daehyun smile, and Kris nod his head at me.

This is going to be a weird year...