Chapter 7

Hold On, my Warrior

 

 

The week passed with hardly any excitement, that is, until Woosuk and Jonghyo came back to class. Apparently they had been suspended for a few days, but they came back at the beginning of the next week. The day after I agreed to him, Himchan revoked his order to bully SoHyun. She was slowly gaining her confidence again, but she had a ways to go before she could feel comfortable being alone in a room with her classmates. I didn’t know what to expect when I heard Woosuk and Jonghyo were coming back. I half-expected them to not be aware of the repeal, and attempt to bully her again; what really happened was far more interesting. It started off as a normal day; Hyesu picked me up, Sora joined, and we walked to school. I was no longer having any trouble with Himchan’s boys, and Himchan had yet to approach me again after that day. I arrived at my class to see Daehyun and Kris chatting as usual, and greet me as I walked in. I went and sat at my desk and greeted SoHyun; to which she responded with a smile and a greeting of her own. It wasn’t long after I had sat down that the door was flung open. Wow...People really seem to enjoy doing that. I watched as Woosuk and Jonghyo walked into the room, eyes searching. When they caught mine they immediately began walking over to me. I braced myself for a flying fist, insults, anything really. What I got was two guys kneeling down in front of me, heads bowed. Confused, I asked, “What the hell are you guys doing?” Keeping his head bowed, Woosuk answered. “We have repented for our sins! Please take us as your disciples!” I sat there, speechless, as they continued to kneel. I looked over at Kris and Daehyun, but they just shrugged; as equally confused as I was. I looked back at the two kneeling figures. “You can stand up.” I said, feeling uncomfortable. They stood, but kept their heads bowed. “Why the hell do you want to be my...disciples?” I asked, bewildered. Woosuk then went into a long speech about how they had changed since the incident, and want to get stronger, and some other stuff that I couldn’t have been bothered to listen to. He had been talking for a good while before I was really starting to get annoyed. “Okay okay! You can stop!” I said, and he shut up immediately. “Do you promise not to bully anyone? Even if Himchan gives out another order to do so?” They both bowed their heads curtly and shouted in unison, “Yes, Hyungnim!” My eye twitched. “Don’t call me that.” “Yes, Hyung!” I sighed. “We’re the same age, you es. Just call me DoYeon.” They hesitated, but then bowed their heads again. “Yes, DoYeon-ssi!” I sighed, but decided to drop it. “Whatever. Do what you like.” It wasn’t until then that they lifted their heads and looked at me; both of them grinning broadly. “Thanks Hyun- ah, I mean DoYeon-ssi!” Jonghyo cried out, grabbing my hand and shaking it. Woosuk shook my hand as well, and then they both went back to their seats as the teacher walked in. I looked at SoHyun, who was staring at them, bewildered. “Well, that was a bit weird, wasn’t it?” I asked. She looked at me and laughed incredulously. “Just a little bit.” Halfway through class, the loudspeakers suddenly . “Pardon the interruption.” A voice said. “I have an announcement to make. There will be a ranking tournament held on the field 30 minutes after school ends. If you are acquainted with Kim Himchan, you are required to attend. Thank you for your time.” I looked at Daehyun and Kris, confused, and saw them sigh and lean back in their chairs. “Guess it’s that time of the year again.” Daehyun said, and Kris nodded. I was about to ask them what they meant, but the teacher resumed class before I could. Once class ended I walked over to their desk. “So, what the hell was that announcement about?” I asked, and they sighed. “Every year Himchan hosts two ranking tournaments to determine the best fighters in the school.” Daehyun said. “The first one happens at the beginning of the year to determine the leading fighters for the year. The second one happens halfway through the year to make sure the winners haven’t been slacking off.” “So what happens if you become the lead fighter?” I asked, curious. “Well,” Kris started. “You get first dibs during gang fights, you are able to give Himchan advice, and have him actually value it, and he’ll forgive you for just about everything; with the exception of betraying him. That’s how Daehyun and I have gotten away with so much.” Having got the gist of it, I nodded my thanks to them, and went back to my seat. The rest of the classes went by normally and – before I knew it – it was after school. I quickly ran home to change, drop my stuff off, and tell my mom where I was going. After throwing on some sweats and a t-shirt, I boarded back to the school, and headed towards the field. I arrived to see a huge crowd of guys standing around, looking nervous. I spotted Daehyun and Kris, and walked over to them. “What’s everyone so nervous for?” I asked, looking around. “Well, not everyone is completely confident in their ability to not be beaten up.” Kris said, laughing. The three of us chatted for a few minutes until Himchan suddenly showed up and stood in front of the crowd. “This battle is tournament style, so everyone fight accordingly. You are all expected to fight to your full potential, and I had better not be disappointed.” He glanced at me when he said the last line, and I stuck my tongue out at him. He ignored me and glared at the crowd again. “Let the tournament begin.”