Chapter 27

Hold On, my Warrior

 

The next day I went to school like normal. It didn’t seem like Himchan had figured out that Woosuk and Jonghyo were the ones who told me about what’s been going on; the two of them didn’t look any worse than they had yesterday. I went through the day, not speaking much, just thinking about everything that was happening. Right as my second-to-last class ended I stood up, grabbing my bag. My friends looked at me curiously, but I silently left the room, heading towards the gates. There was someone standing guard, so I went around the corner and hopped the wall, leaving the school grounds. I didn’t go home – my mom would not have been happy with my decision to leave school early – but instead headed in the direction that Woosuk had told me to go during lunch. It took me a bit over a half-hour to get to my destination – I was walking leisurely – and when I arrived I stood in front of it, looking up at the sign that read “Bullet High”. There were probably about 10 minutes left until school was over, so I leaned against the wall and waited. Soon enough the bell rang behind me and kids started filing out of the gates. As the students passed me I received many stares and noticed them whispering to each other frantically; I was still in my uniform. I ignored them all, keeping an eye out for the one that I was there for. As soon as I saw him coming I stepped out in the middle of the gates, arms crossed, staring him down. He stopped in his tracks once he saw me, surprise written all over his face. He looked like he didn’t want to walk past me, so I stomped over to him, grabbed his wrist, and dragged him past the gates; I didn’t stop there, though. I kept pulling him as some students yelled at me. I felt a hand grab my shoulder, yanking me to a stop. I turned to see Eden standing there. “Doyeon? What are you doing?” “I have some business to take care of with Gunwoo, here, so would you mind letting me go?” He glanced at Gunwoo, and he nodded. Eden slowly released my shoulder and stepped back. “Okay, but what should I tell everyone? This doesn’t exactly look good with the state of things right now.” Gunwoo was about to say something but I cut him off. “I don’t really give a what you tell them, honestly. Use your imagination.” With that, I turned back around and set off, dragging Gunwoo by his arm. I took him to the park where we had spent the night skateboarding before, and it was only then that I released him. I turned to face him, annoyance written all over my face. “Hey Doyeon.” He said, attempting to smile, but failing as I glared at him. His gaze fell, his entire body screaming apologies at me. “What happened?” I asked, and he raised his eyes to meet mine. “What do you mean?” “Himchan told me that you called him out and had a fight with him which resulted in you terminating the truce. Is this true?” He lowered his gaze again, looking to the side of me. “More or less…” He muttered. “Why the did you do it?” I asked, exasperated. “I thought we had an understanding that day! What happened to all of that?!” He looked at me. “I’m sorry, I really am, but I thought about it more, and I just couldn’t accept what he was doing. I wanted to at least try to get him to cut off your deal and just leave you alone, but he wouldn’t even listen to what I said. He was so adamant about keeping you as his bodyguard and using you that I just snapped. He’s already the kind of guy that I can’t stand, but the thought of him using you just drove me crazy; I couldn’t deal with it. I told him that it was either he lets you go, or I terminate the truce and start a war with his guys, and he didn’t even hesitate. I wasn’t planning on actually starting a war, but he gave me no choice. Now it’s turned out like this, and I can assure you that neither side will back down until this is all over.” I stared at him in disbelief as he finished talking. “I can’t believe this. I can’t believe you actually went and did that. What gave you the right to speak on my behalf? This isn’t any of your business! Now you’ve gone and put a bunch of kids who have nothing to do with this in harm’s way just because of a little spat you had.” He looked at me, hurt. “You’re my friend. How is this not my business? I’m not just going to stand by and watch one of my friends be used without doing anything to help.” I scoffed. “You do when they specifically ask you to trust them and leave the problem alone. Well, at least I now know just how much you trust me.” I turned around to walk away and was stopped by Gunwoo’s hand on my shoulder. “Wait, you’re just going to leave like this?” I turned and glared at him so intently that he released my shoulder, staring at me. “Yes, I am. Goodbye, Gunwoo.” And with that I turned back around and walked off, leaving a speechless Gunwoo behind me. I walked home and was walking up the walkway when I noticed something on the doormat. I bent down and picked it up to see that it was a box of chocolates. I opened it to find a small note sitting atop of the candies. I opened it and anger filled my body. I dropped the box onto the ground and stomped on it before kicking it out onto the street. I went into my house, slamming the door and locking it behind me, the note seared into my mind.

Good Kitty-Cats Don’t Skip Class To Meet Their Lovers