Chapter 3

Hold On, my Warrior

 

 

I’d like to say that the rest of my day was nice and quiet, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. I was able to enjoy friendly chats with SoHyun – as well as Kris and Daehyun – until lunch. That was when got crazy. It all started when the classroom door was flung open right as I started on my lunch. I noticed Kris and Daehyun perked up, startled. Head bowed, I glanced over at the door through my fringe while shoveling food in my mouth, and saw a guy standing there. He stared around the room as though he were looking for someone. “Hey, Youngjae” Kris called out, standing up. Youngjae focused his sights on his. “What are you doing here?” Youngjae scanned the room again before looking back at Kris and answering him. “I’m looking for someone. Kim DoYeon. Do you know him?” My head shot up in surprise. Youngjae noticed and walked over to me. “Are you Kim DoYeon?” I nodded, lettuce hanging out of my mouth. “Come with me.” He turned around and started walking towards the door. I quickly swallowed my food, and was about to call out to him when someone did it for me. “Yah! Yoo Youngjae!” Daehyun had stood up, annoyed, and Youngjae stopped. “Where are you taking DoYeon?” Youngjae turned to him. “Himchan wants to have a chat with him. You’re not invited.” Bewildered, Daehyun and Kris watched as I shrugged and followed Youngjae, quickly stuffing as much food as I could in my mouth. Youngjae led me to the gym and stopped at the entrance before motioning for me to go in by myself. I walked in and instantly rolled my eyes at the sight that awaited me in there. As I walked in I saw a large group of guys standing in the middle of the basketball court. Well, I know what’s happening here. Sorry Mom. I walked onto the court and went and sat on one of the benches that were set up along the side of the court. I crossed one leg over the other and crossed my arms, staring the bewildered crowd down. “Well?” I asked when nobody stepped forward. “Have you called me away from a very important meeting between my stomach and delicious food just to stare at me? What the hell do you guys want?” The crowd suddenly parted, and a guy walked forward out of it. I studied him as he walked to the front of the crowd. He had an attractive face, but it was one filled with an air of arrogance. He stopped when he was standing in front of everyone and turned and faced me. “Kim DoYeon, I take it?” he said in a deep voice. I nodded. “Kim Himchan, I take it?” I said, raising an eyebrow. “So you’ve heard of me? That makes things a bit easier. I heard you got into a scuffle with a couple of my boys earlier.” I smirked, knowing what he was getting at. “Yeah, I did. So what? They were picking on a defenseless girl. What was I supposed to do?” Himchan smirked. “Ah, that’s right; you’re new, aren’t you? It seems as though I’m going to have to teach you the way things work around here.” At this, I stood up and walked towards him, stopping right in front of him, invading his personal bubble of pure egotistical yness. “Oh, I know how you run things here. I just don’t plan to be a part of your little selfish game.” “Let me tell you something, new kid.” He growled, glaring down at me. “If you try and protect every defenseless girl, you’ll have your hands full for your entire life. All girls are defenseless and always need guys to look after them, and guys will always run to help whenever a girl is in trouble. Don’t worry yourself over a few useless girls.” That was the last straw. I pulled my arm back, clenched my fist, and sent it right into his gut. He collapsed, coughing, and the crowd stood in shock, not knowing what to do. I stood, arms crossed, glaring down at Himchan as he tried to catch his breath. When he was finally able to talk, he glared up at me and spat out, “You’ll regret doing that!” He then turned to look at the crowd and yelled out, “What the hell are you guys doing?! Kick his !” I sighed as the first wave of guys crashed upon me. I fought my way through the crowd, and had gotten through about half of them when I suddenly felt a hand grab the back of my shirt and pull me out of the confusion. I whirled around to punch whoever had grabbed me, but stopped inches in front of his face as I noticed it was Daehyun. “Follow me!” he hissed, dragging me with him. Luckily, we were in Himchan’s blind spot, and had made it out of the gym and around the corner before Daehyun finally stopped. “What are you doing?” I asked. He looked at me, breathing heavily. “You have to get out of here. I heard Youngjae calling for more guys to come and fight you. It’s not safe for you here. You need to leave school for today. Hopefully Himchan will have calmed down by tomorrow. Kris and I will talk to him. Just get out of here!” Conflicted, I finally agreed and hopped the wall behind the gym. I heard the guys run out from the gym right as I landed, and Himchan yelling at them to find me. I took off down the street right as one of the guys peeked over the wall and saw me. “He’s going this way!” he yelled to the others. They chased me for a couple hours when I decided I had had enough, and suddenly jumped over a wall into someone’s backyard. I was so focused on not letting them see me, that I didn’t look where I was going, and crashed into someone, knocking the both of us down. I quickly scrambled off of him and collapsed on my , panting heavily. The guy sat up, shaking his head as though to get water out of his ears. A shout rang out from right outside the house, and my head snapped towards the direction of the noise, startled. The guy noticed, and suddenly stood up, grabbed my arm, and pulled me into the house. He sat me down in the kitchen as I caught my breath. Suddenly, the doorbell rang, causing me to groan in frustration. “Stay here,” the guy said before going to answer the door. I heard him open the door and be bombarded with questions about me. He calmly explained to them that he hadn’t seen anyone come through his backyard, and then sent them on their way. He closed the door and came back to where I was now chugging a bottle of his water. “What were those guys chasing you for?” he asked, sitting down in the chair next to mine. “I stood up against them when they were picking on a girl, and their boss didn’t like that.” I said, between gulps. “That’s a bit excessive – chasing a girl across town – don’t you think?” I glanced at him, surprised. “Yeah, I suppose so... Anyways, thanks for helping me out. I’m Kim DoYeon. I’m new around here.” I stuck my hand out, and he took it, smiling. “I’m Park Gunwoo. Welcome to Incheon.” I nodded in thanks, and then stood up. “Well,” I said. “I’d better be going. Thanks again.” He shot up out of his chair so quickly that it went crashing to the ground. I laughed and he put his hand on the back of his neck, embarrassed. “Why are you going so soon?” He asked, face red. “My mom will freak if I’m not home by a certain time. Why?” I asked, confused. “Oh, no reason!” he said, a bit flustered. “You should get going then. You don’t want to worry your mom. Just be careful about those guys out there.” I nodded in thanks, and then went into his backyard and hopped the wall after making sure no one was around. I heard a noise as I started to walk away, and looked back to see Gunwoo leaning over the wall, waving at me. I gave him a little wave, and then headed back towards the school; seeing as that was the only way I knew how to get home.