(xxviii) part of me

florilegium ✈

prompt: What happens when your first love ends up with your best friend? (Note: All characters are in the same age in this timeline.)

pairing: sebaekstal

 

 

Oh Sehun is now in a relationship with Jung Soojung.

 

It astonishes the world.

At least for those who’ve been there with Sehun and Soojung since fourth grade.

They never saw it coming. Not even once.

Not at all.

 

 

 

Somebody tell me I’m dreaming!

With his phone raised in midair, Chanyeol dashes to his friends the instant he arrived at the meeting place. He’s only two minutes late—no thanks to traffic!!—but he’s in a hurry to discard the party preparations for a couple of minutes and to confirm the news he just received. On the other hand, Jinri, Jongdae, Suzy and Sohee gather in one table to talk about the party.

Chanyeol’s booming, deep voice disturbs the consistent silence in the coffee shop, and immediately, his other four friends hang their heads low in embarrassment.

He jolts into a halt, struggling to catch his breath for dear life. “Somebody. Tell. Me. I’m. Dreaming.”

“You’re late,” Sohee declares, narrowing her eyes at him.

“You’re embarrassing!” Suzy hisses.

“You’re dreaming,” Jongdae deadpans, earning a pout from Chanyeol.

“I didn’t mean it literally,” whines Chanyeol.

“You asked for it, you weirdo.”

“But seriously though,” Chanyeol continues, taking a seat next to Jinri. “Are they dating? For real?”

“You’ve seen the pictures,” says Jinri as she flips through the pages of a magazine. “They’re definitely dating. I’m positive about it.”

Chanyeol blinks blankly, still stunned about the news. He merely stares at the small notepad Jongdae has given him to jot down the list of things to buy and to do for Jinri’s debut. “I can’t believe it.”

“Neither can we,” Suzy agrees, tilting her head to the side. She scribbles something on her small Barbie-designed notepad. “But what’s happened happened, right? I wonder what Baekhyun felt when he saw it.” She notices Chanyeol still spacing out so she hisses at him, telling him to start making notes.

“He’d be surprised, of course!” Jinri exclaims, her eyes still glued on the magazine. “Soojung is like Baekhyun’s first love and first girlfriend—oh my god, this looks nice!” to which Suzy and Sohee agree with enthusiastic yes it is!!—“and Sehun’s basically like his twin or something. They’ve been best friends since they were babies.”

“Baek’s probably brokenhearted or something,” Sohee laments, pursing her lips.

Suzy shrugs. “If I was Baek, I wouldn’t talk to my best friend. It’s awkward.”

“Yeah, but they live next to each other,” Jongdae informs everyone, offering a sympathetic look. “It’s inevitable.”

“You think they’d come together to the party?” asks Chanyeol with a frown. He starts making notes but he’s still preoccupied.

“Why wouldn’t they?” Jinri furrows her eyebrow. “Chanyeol, they didn’t do anything illegal.”

“But Baekhyun—”

“—should be happy for them,” Jongdae interrupts him, shooting him a pointed look. “And we should be, too.”

Chanyeol raised his hand. “Look, don’t get me wrong. I’m all in for Sehun and Soojung but come on; everyone could never—and will never—forget how adorable Baekhyun and Soojung were before. Baek was in love with her, and she to him. It’s just… it feels like something’s wrong with the picture all of a sudden.”

“Everything changes,” says Suzy quietly, biting her bottom lip. “It’s just the way it is.”

“And knowing Baek,” Chanyeol adds heartbreakingly, his eyes coloring with unhappiness, “he’s probably still in love with her, too.”

 

 

 

Sehun brightens up once he spots Soojung standing in front of a pastry shop. They’ve decided to pass time in his house, watch some movies and cuddle for the day instead of going out somewhere and spending money. After publicly announcing their relationship, Soojung figures maybe it’s best to stay in for the day.

“Mom’s excited to meet you,” announces Sehun as they drove off to his house. He laces his fingers through hers and rests their hands on his lap, his other hand on the wheel.

Opening a bag of chips, Soojung casually leans back to rest her head against the headrest and offers him some chips. “Really? You told your Mom about us?”

“Why wouldn’t I? I’m Mom’s favorite.” Sehun chuckles. Sensing Soojung’s discomfort, Sehun reassures her with a smile (and a light squeeze on her hand). “I had to tell them. I’m the eldest.”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“I figured it was important.”

“Do they know…?” She bites her lip anxiously.

“My Dad doesn’t because he basically doesn’t care about it,” he pauses, twitching his lips, “but I think Mama does.”

She frowns.

“Don’t worry! She’ll love you.”

“Yeah, you’re supposed to say that. Tch.”

They arrive at his house in less than ten minutes. Equipped with the necessary food (she figures if it’s the best way to the man’s heart, it could be best for the man’s mother’s heart, too), Soojung preps herself by taking a deep breath before going inside. Sehun’s hand rests on her waist, whispering and assuring her that everything’s going to be okay and that she doesn’t have to worry about anything.

A warm welcome from Sehun’s younger brothers, Seyong and Sungjong, greets her as they step foot inside the house. Seyong is only a year younger than both Sehun and Soojung, and he already knew her through a leadership training back then so he figured no introduction is necessary. Sungjong’s been aware of her through Baekhyun.

“It’s nice to see you again, Soojung noona.” Seyong offers a brief wave, politely obtaining the paper bags she was holding.

Soojung grins. “It’s nice to see you, too. Say hi to Jungkook for me, will you?”

“Sure!”

Well, they seem okay.

“Eh, I can’t believe this.”

Soojung turns to face Sungjong, who was scrutinizing the couple with wary eyes. “You haven’t changed at all, Sungjong.”

“I grew inches!” He argued, puffing his cheeks cutely. “Anyways, weren’t you supposed to be with Baekhyun hyung? You were the popular couple before.”

Maybe not.

“That was years ago, Jong.” Sehun ruffles the younger’s hair. “Noona’s with me now.”

“Thought you said they’d last forever.”

Soojung freezes.

“Not everything does.”

 

 

 

“We’re going to Jinri’s debut party, right?”

“Of course,” Soojung answers as she snuggles closer in his chest. Sehun responds by wrapping his arms around her tighter. It’s moments like this that Sehun cherishes the most (and craved the most back then).

It’s six in the evening and his parents, fortunately for Soojung, are currently in a party. His brothers are busy arguing and playing Xbox downstairs. Meanwhile, they hog the movie room all to themselves and enjoy each other’s presence.

(And cuddles—don’t forget the cuddles.)

“I wonder how they’re all taking it.”

He chuckles.

“Did you see how many likes and comments you got in the first five minutes?” She snorts. “They’re all… flabbergasted.”

“I didn’t think we’d come to this.”

“Me neither.”

You’re not regretting this, are you?

 

 

 

It all happened fast, really.

After freshman year, Soojung had separated ways with Baekhyun and Sehun and the rest of the gang. Their class had always been a tight-knit group that shared and did everything together, becoming close like a family. Separating from the group who’s been with her for a long time was hard, but she knew she needed some sort of change.

Even if it meant breaking up with Baekhyun. Even if it meant never seeing him again.

Soojung was in love with him, vowed to marry him and give him a soccer team of his own—Baekhyun happily agreed, of course!—but the change vetoed the promises.

Fast forward to three years later, and amidst the new relationships, new found friends and new set of family, Soojung found herself drifting away from the people who merely became somebody else from the past. She didn’t mean to do it but communication was hard and the difficult academic standards of the school made it even harder for her to contact and visit her friends.

Soon, she forgot about them. And they forgot about her.

But not him. Never him.

Soojung was a freshman in college when she met Sehun again during Seyong’s graduation. To Soojung, she was more surprised to meet Sehun, who definitely looked better and grew taller, too. They exchanged hellos and numbers, and she wanted to hang out with him but he couldn’t because he had to celebrate with his family, and between the lingering pauses and the overdue smiles and I missed yous, Sehun eventually told her about Baekhyun’s whereabouts.

For the first time, Soojung felt a pang of guilt and remorse. All she could do was reply with a weak I see and look away.

She didn’t even ask about Baekhyun.

It wasn’t until both Soojung and Sehun were sophomores (still in college) when they started texting. Sehun started it first, and to be honest, Soojung was relieved that finally he texted after a year since they exchanged numbers. It was all random hellos and hi’s and unsystematic what’s up and how are yous and the casual summary of each other’s days until it developed into something else.

They began seeing each other and going on dates with few of their friends aware.

 

 

 

A week before Jinri’s party, Sehun’s family decides to go to Jeju Island for a three-day vacation. Unable to meet Soojung before, his parents suggest bringing her along, too. At first, Soojung is hesitant because a three-day vacation seems to be a little worrying, but Sehun says his mother insists her to come. They needed another girl on the team anyways.

In the end, she’s left with no choice.

 

 

“Can I help you with anything, Mrs. Oh?”

Mrs. Oh offers Soojung a smile, her hands busy with the food preparation. “Oh, yes please,” she replies, and Soojung realizes Sehun might have inherited his smile from his mother. “You don’t know much I’m thankful that you came. Living with four men can be quite dull, too.”

Soojung chuckles shortly, getting some tongs to handle the meat. “My Dad probably feels the same. It’s three females against one male.”

“Really? We should get together someday!”

“That would be nice.” Soojung hears Sehun laughing from afar so she looks up, only to find her boyfriend tossing the youngest into the water. He looks so incredibly good. “I’ll make sure to tell my parents.”

As if he could sense her staring, Sehun turns his head to her direction and their eyes meet. A smile cracks on her face, and he smiles back.

“I can see it, you know.”

Breaking the contact, Soojung gazes at Mrs. Oh. “See what, Mrs. Oh?”

“I can see how happy Sehun is,” Mrs. Oh explains, sprinkling salt all over the meat. “When I had Sehun, I promised to myself that I’d make my son tell me everything. No secrets. Anything he does, I should know. I won’t judge him for that. He told me about you, Soojung. He told me everything.”

Gulping, Soojung’s eyes fall on the meat. There’s no way she can look at her now.

“Don’t worry. It’s nothing bad. Although it’s not nice for me to be happy while someone else’s son is suffering, I can’t help but be happy for Sehun. Soojung, if you only knew how much Sehun talked about you before. If you only knew how much it pains him to see you with Baekhyun. To see you with his best friend. I’ve never seen my son look so… broken.”

“I think I made him think he had a chance, too.”

“But look at you two now. You love him, right?”

Soojung smiles. “I do, Mrs. Oh. I really do.”

“Mama. You can call me Mama, Soojung.”

 

 

 

Three days pass by like a blur, and Soojung’s never been happier. Sehun, too. In between the subtle winks, the heavy make out sessions, the lovely dates, they both promise each other forever.

Right now, Soojung hopes it lasts for a long, long time.

 

 

 

Thinking Soojung might be hungry, Sehun stops by the pastry shop just outside their subdivision.

“Oh, Baek!”

Perhaps it’s been more than months since he last saw his best friend. Long, painful months. When Sehun sees him up close, he realizes Baekhyun has lost so much weight. (And that he’s probably grown a lot taller than Baek, but he won’t say that.) Sehun is worried, uneasy. He hasn’t heard so much from the boy who’s been with him from the start, from the boy who’s tolerated him so much.

Baekhyun looks surprised, caught off-guard, as if he didn’t expect to see Sehun here.

“Hey, Sehun.”

“How have you been?”

His proposal to bring Soojung something is temporarily forgotten.

“I’m good,” Baek replies shortly, his eyes looking weary. “Been busy with school, that’s all.”

Sehun nods. “Oh, you’re coming to the party, right?”

“I’m thinking about it.”

“Aw, come on! You have to come.” Sehun grins. “It’s like it’s been years since we last saw the gang! We need to catch up with them.”

“Well…”

“Come on. For old times’ sake.”

Baekhyun bites his lip anxiously.

“Your Dad bought you a new car, right? So you’ve got no excuse not to go,” Sehun insists. “And besides, Jinri will have your head on the platter if you don’t. You’re one of the roses or whatever that thing they call. You have to dance with her.”

Baekhyun laughs. “Did Dad tell you that?”

Sehun winks. “My Dad did. You know how much my Dad hates it when your Dad gets a new car.”

“I’ll probably go.”

“Do you want to come with us?” Sehun offers, only to regret it five seconds later because who is he kidding? It’ll be pretty damn awkward during the ride. Not to mention, the light in Baekhyun’s eyes instantly disappeared when Sehun mentioned us.

Looking away, Baekhyun clears his throat. “It’s okay. I’ll go alone.”

Sehun doesn’t miss the pain visible on Baekhyun’s face.

 

(After all this time, Baek?

 

Always, Sehun. Always.)

 

 

 

 

Sehun picks Soojung up at her house two hours prior to the party because his mother wanted to be the one to take care of Soojung. She buys Soojung a dress and even offers to do her makeup, and when Soojung refused politely, thinking it would only be such a burden, his mother’s glare is enough to shut her up.

“I never had a daughter,” is what his mother said. So she let her be instead.

Mrs. Oh makes Sehun wait outside or do something else so as not to bother them. Sehun complains at first, reasons with she’s my girlfriend I need to see her okay but even he can’t get past the barriers of his mother’s glare. It’s frightening. It hunts everyone in their sleep.

An hour later, Sehun waits by the living room with his brothers who were both busy beating the hell out of each other. Their father sits next to Sehun, laughing over something Sehun said, as they watch the younger ones press hard on their consoles.

Then, the door opens.

Coming into view is Soojung in a y, off-shoulder light pink dress. Her dark hair tied in a simple ponytail, adding soft curls and looking effortlessly y. Her cheeks turn red at the attention she’s getting from his family, especially Sehun, who’s just merely staring at her with his mouth slightly open. His mother stands at the side, hands clasped together and her face dreamy. She seems proud.

Ten seconds later, Sehun manages to stand up and approaches Soojung with the help of his mother’s don’t just stare at her go ahead and get her already!!!

“Do I look okay?” she asks the minute he’s right next to her.

Sehun blinks for a minute, distracted, before he blurts out, “Are you kidding? You look beautiful, Soojung.”

Soojung grins heartily, blushing.

“You look very beautiful, Soojung,” Mr. Oh compliments, his hand around Mrs. Oh’s waist. “I’m proud of what my wife has done.”

“Of course!” Mrs. Oh exclaims happily. “I’m glad I’ve put my skills in good use. I’ve been dying to put on makeup for somebody else this time; not just me. Trust me, honey”—she adds a sympathetic nod—“having three boys and no girl in the family is a little… meh.”

Mr. Oh winks. “Make sure you get us a granddaughter, okay.”

Sehun coughs awkwardly, rolling his eyes. “Dad, oh my god.”

Soojung only laughs.

“We’re going before you decide to embarrass me any further,” says Sehun, his hand on her back.

“Wait, isn’t Baekhyun invited?” Mr. Oh wants to know. “Why don’t you bring him along with you instead?”

Seyong and Sungjong both look at Sehun in anticipation. Mrs. Oh glances at the couple, worry coloring her face. Soojung looks away, only to gaze at Sehun because though it’s been months, they’ve never heard anything from Baekhyun.

“I think he’d want to go alone, Dad. Trust me.”

 

 

 

Noisy upbeat music is what welcomed both Soojung and Sehun at the entrance of the grand hotel where Jinri’s party is being held. They presume that the room was nearby because of the familiar music playing in the background—I Am the Best was Jinri’s high school theme song. Soojung and Sehun exchange assuring smiles and glances before heading in.

Chanyeol notices them first, and being the happy virus he is, he dashes to the couple with wide open arms and full-metallic grin, gathering the two in one hug. So it’s really true huh!!! He shouts over the music and Sehun can only nod and smile in response.

Soojung laughs, relieved that Chanyeol haven’t changed after all.

“I missed you!” Chanyeol grabs Soojung in a rib-cracking hug. “You shouldn’t have transferred schools! Baekhyun was—I mean, we were all pretty miserable when you left. And even more miserable when you stopped visiting and contacting us.”

“You’re still the same theatrical boy I came to know back in first grade.”

Jongdae and Suzy spot the couple next, running and squealing in glee the instant that they did. Soojung is, again, grabbed in a tight hug while Sehun is pushed to the side, his eyes twinkling in amusement.

“I can’t believe it!” Suzy exclaims, waving Soojung’s hands too enthusiastically. “You’ve grown even more beautiful. I swear to—where did you get your hair done? No. Wait. You’ve always had nice hair. I’m jealous. And you’ve lost so much weight, too!”

“Remember when I told you I’d never have a crush on you,” says Jongdae, slinging his arm around her shoulder. When Soojung nodded, he continues, “You have to forget that because I think I have a huge crush on you now.”

Sehun scowls. “Hey! That’s my girlfriend you’re side-hugging.”

“I wasn’t side-hugging,” Jongdae corrects, rolling his eyes, but he doesn’t bother withdrawing his arm from Soojung’s shoulder. “I was merely putting my arm on her shoulder. Like a friend would do.”

Unconvinced, Sehun pouts.

“No, Sehun. You don’t look cute pouting,” Suzy teases, sticking out her tongue at him.

“I didn’t ask for your opinion.”

“Anyways, there’s this adorable segment of the party,” Jongdae informs them, holding a paper up, “and knowing Sehun, he’d probably leave once he gets bored or something, so I’m expecting to dance with you”—he points at Soojung—“later.”

“It’s a dance… segment?” Soojung raises her eyebrows.

“You’ll see later. Bye!” Suzy winks before she drags Jongdae away, leaving the couple behind.

 

 

 

Jinri comes out an hour later dressed in pink and blue and gray, adorned with such elegance and chaste beauty. Though it’s been years since Soojung last saw and talked to Jinri, the former can’t help but feel moved at how much the latter has grown. Tears start to form in her eyes, and upon noticing this, Sehun holds her hand and squeezes it reassuringly.

They don’t notice the sad pair of eyes looking at their intertwined fingers just two tables away.

 

 

 

Thirty minutes later, the debutante is at the center of the room and dancing her heart out. The 18 roses, 18 candles and 18 treasures are over almost twenty minutes ago and the ‘segment’ everyone’s waiting for has finally arrived—they are to dance with basically anyone and just enjoy the rest of the night.

Meet new friends if they have to.

Soojung realizes that once she’s finished dancing to one song with Sehun, Jongdae, the ever troll resident of their batch, appears and whisks her away from her boyfriend, earning a scowl from dear Sehun. But then, Sehun gets snatched away by Jinri and Suzy and then Sohee and basically everyone he knew.

No sooner than four songs have been played did Soojung get to rest.

The once spacious area at the center is now full of friends and friends’ friends dancing with one another, basking in the happiness. Soojung smiles when she caught Sehun being dragged and twirled forcefully by Chanyeol and Jongdae, who were both laughing at her poor boyfriend’s misery.

At that moment, a slow song begins to play.

“Can I have this dance?”

Looking up, it takes Soojung a moment to realize that it wasn’t just another friend who’s asked to dance. It’s Baekhyun, and she realizes it’s been so, so long since she last saw him and she’s not sure what to do or how to feel or what to say at the moment.

She’s missed him. That’s definite.

She nods, slipping her hand in his, as he takes her to the dance floor. Curious eyes catch sight of them, and they all pause once in a while to scrutinize the two. Soojung doesn’t notice how Sehun has stopped playing along with Chanyeol and Jongdae or the fact that he’s got fear written plainly across his face.

 With both hands around her waist and hers around his neck, they begin to sway with the song. Soojung feels rather sad and nostalgic, and perhaps, she’s feeling sorry, too. She realizes she missed him so much—the way his eyes form crescents when he smiles or laughs, the hilarious sound of his laugh that makes her want to laugh, too, how beautiful his smile is.

After all, he is her first love. It’s difficult to forget.

“You look really beautiful.”

And she knows he means it because Baekhyun has always been honest and sincere though he was incredibly shy to tell the truth. If there’s something Soojung can’t forget about Baekhyun, it’s the part where he’s made her feel tremendously loved. He never failed to show her that.

Not even once.

“You look stunning, too, Baek.”

Baekhyun offers a small smile. “Sehun thinks I lost so much weight.”

“It’s been five years, I think,” replies Soojung, “but he’s right. You look thin.”

“Things have been difficult lately.”

Soojung blinks. He must have meant so much more than that.

“And you know what I mean, Soojung,” Baekhyun adds quietly, meeting her gaze. Soojung inhales deeply. “I was confident that all this time, you knew. From the moment you left me until the day we meet again, you’d know I’d still want you back. Remember when you greeted me on my birthday and I told you about that promise we made—I thought you knew how sincere I was.”

“Baekhyun…”

“Wait, let me…” he trails off, and she doesn’t miss the pain and tears starting to form in his eyes. He takes one deep breath before continuing. “Let me just say something. It to watch the girl I’ve loved after all these years with someone else. It even more to watch my best friend love the girl I’ve loved, too. It ing hurts so much I wanted to die. I wanted to punch Sehun on the face, for taking you away, but I guess I was partly at fault, too. I didn’t fight for you like you wanted me to.

“I should have known better. I was stupid, scared. I hoped you’d come back and remember the promises we made. That we’d get married and have lots and lots of kids and you’d still love my tummy and my insecurities. But all that…” His voice begins to break. “All that are just things in the past now. It still hurts me to the core but since I love you—since I love you so much—I’m gonna have to let you go, Soojung.”

“Baek, I’m sorry. I…”

There are tears in her eyes now, and she doesn’t realize how she’s holding her breath for a long time now.

Unperturbed of the attention from those who’s been there and those who always knew, Baekhyun hugs Soojung for the last time.

“For the last time, Soojung, I love you. Always have, always will.”

 

 

 

Baekhyun should have realized beforehand that everyone who says hello will one day say goodbye. Sometimes without warning or giving a reason why.


i've got reasonable excuse for a month long update!! i've just been busy and uninspired and the past week i was over my friend's house a lot bc my partner and i were busy making an amplifier (say hello to burns and bruises and wounds) and ti finally worked and we got a perfect score and ahhhh it's just so overwhelming i hope you guys enjoy the update (it's a little messy andall over the place but that's bc my mind is as messy as it is and ahhh))) !!! comments would be nice xoxo

((ALSOD ID U SEE THE HARRY POTTER REFERENCE IM-))