(xvi) light in shining thunder

florilegium ✈

prompt: lightning and thunder

pairing: sestal

it’s nearly 2:30 in the morning when soojung wakes up and finds the other side of the bed empty, lonely. although it has been a little more than four hours since she and sehun got into a misunderstanding, she might have hoped he’d tiptoe his way back to the bed and leave the couch from the living room.

but he didn’t.

and soojung thinks there’s nothing she can do about it.

even so, soojung wakes up in the middle of the night, terrified, because of the loud thunder that nearly shook the bed. she hasn’t noticed it started raining so hard until now, and she thinks it must have been because of how tired she was hours ago after pouring her heart out in the form of unhappy tears running down her cheeks. and now, it’s scaring the living daylights out of her.

soojung closes her eyes at the appearance of the lightning, but she’s scared, absolutely terrified, of the thunder, especially when it makes this cracking, rumbling sound and it feels as though the grounds are about to collapse; soojung hates it the most.

shaking, soojung struggles to seek comfort, something that can get rid of her fears for the night. her hands turn to fists, tightly clenched together, her eyes pressed close, shut, she waits for the lightning, which is then followed by the thunder. and when it finally comes—soojung trembles in fear.

seconds later, she swears she’s going to cry.

in the end, she’s left with no choice but to use plan b: go to sehun.

grabbing her favorite stuff toy that takes a tiniest bit of her worries, she sprints off for the living room, in hopes that sehun would actually forget their little squabble earlier. when another set of lightning and thunder appears, soojung is startled, automatically squeezing the stuff toy against her chest; and once it has faded away, soojung runs as quickly as she can.

she finds sehun having forty winks with his mouth slightly open at the couch, just like she predicted, but she wonders how the thunder still hasn’t woke him up.

“sehun,” she calls out softly at first.

but only for her to scream his name when an unexpected thunder roars.

fortunately, it wakes sehun up, dazed and startled, because someone seems to be holding his shirt too tight. while he tries to mumble his way out of his lethargy, he snakes his hand towards her hand gripping his shirt.

“soojung?”

“sehun,” she calls his name weakly, and it is only then he notices how pale she was, to which it brought him out of torpor in less than two seconds.

“soojung?”  he blinks, concern coating his face. “oh, god. soojung, are you okay?”

unexpectedly, soojung lets go of the stuffed toy and tosses herself onto sehun, clinging as hard as she could. “sehun, there’s thunder.”

it takes sehun a while to figure out what she’s trying to say, his hands rubbing her back. “oh, oh.” he stands up, his hands supporting soojung, and he pulls her against his chest whilst in the middle of making circles on her back. his drowsiness seems to have disappeared, and soojung’s worries are beginning to fade.

they walk back to their shared room with soojung still against his chest; she doesn’t let go because she’s scared. with sehun around, everything feels much, much better.

“let’s go back to sleep,” says sehun as he pulls her back to bed, and she doesn’t argue, because it’s okay now that he’s here. once settled, she scoots closer and closer until the gap between them diminishes, to which sehun welcomes very gladly because when soojung cuddles, he appreciates.

without warning, another set of lightning and thunder comes, it surprises soojung, at first, flinching against sehun’s; sehun, on the other hand, merely smiles through the darkness, feeling quite proud of how soojung immediately relaxed at his touch.

he’s happy at the thought of having soojung to trust him, so he decides, when another set of lightning and thunder comes—or no matter how many of it will—sehun will always be her knight in shining armor.


i've been itching to write kaistal soon x ((and this is to celebrate bc i reached 100 subscribers omg cries))