A Place to Stay

An Unexpected Destination

                                                                          {Eunhyuk's POV}

 

 

"Can I help you?" she asks.

I sigh inwardly. Why hadn't we thought this through? Of course she would speak english. But how the hell were we going to communicate now?

"Uhhhh..." Sungmin started. "Engrish, no. We... Cold. Hungry. Something... Problem and... *Bihaengi..." Sungmin throws his arms out to the side as if imitating an airplane. He even makes motor sounds with his mouth. Although is you ask me, it definetly sounds more like a tractor than an aiplane.

The rather small woman giggles at his unexpected aegyo. She just kind of stares at us expectantly for a few seconds before Yesung-hyung breaks down screaming "What are we gonna do? We can't even communicate with this girl!"

"Okay, calm down. Everyone, huddle up. We need to think of a plan." says Donghae. So we all form a circle, throwing our arms over each other's shoulders while the woman watches us, obviously amused. What's so amusing about grown men huddling and discussing a plan? Canadians are strange.

"What are we going to do?"

"Does anyone speak english?"

"No, you idiot!"

"I learnt a little sign language when I was in Taiwan. Do you think she knows sign language?"

"Okay," Sungmin loudly says over the harmony of voices. "We need a plan. How are we supposed to explain to her that we need help because we got on the wrong flight, landing us practically in the middle of nowhere, the airport's closed and we've been walking for hours through this disgusting snow?"

"I told you, sign language." says Donghae, earning him a slap over the head from Yesung-hyung. Now he knows how it feels. That guy hits hard.

"We have to take this seriously," I say. "I'm starving, freezing and tired. I don't know about the rest of you, but-"

"*Hanguk?" a small voice interjects. We all turn around to see the woman, still smiling in the doorway, staring at us. Did she just speak Korean?

"Y-you speak Korean?" Ryeowook asks timidly.

"Ne. Annyeonghasseyo. What can I do for you?" she asks, in fluent Korean.

"You've been playing with us? Were you having fun watching us struggle?" Yesung shrieks. God, he's really in a bad mood today.

She smiles mischeiviously. Or at least I think. I can hardly see through the heavy snowfall. "Well, just a little." she says.

"Why didn't you tell us you speak Korean?"

"Why didn't you tell me that you speak Korean?" We all just stood there, staring at her, stunned. She finally said "Well, get to point already."

That snapped at least Donghae out of his confusion. "Um, well, long story short, we got on a wrong flight, landing us here. We've been walking for hours and this is the first town we've seen. We're freezing cold and haven't eaten forever. Could we maybe...?" he says a little shyly.

Her expression quickly changes from amusement to worry. "What? Are you serious? That's terrible!"

She stops at that. We all wait for her to invite us in or something but she just stares at us, a mask of horror on her face.

"Yep," I say akwardly. "It is..."

"Well, you must be looking for a place to stay! Sadly, there are no hotels anywhere nearby-this is quite a small town- so I suppose you'll have to stay somewhere else..." she pauses. "Would you like to come in?" she adds hesitantly.

"Yes. Thank you." Hyung almost collapses with relief.

So she moves aside and motions her arm toward the inside of the house, indicating that we can come in. We all walk in to the warm, cozy house, grateful that we're finally out of the cold and have a place to stay for a while.

I examine our surroundings. The house is much more spacious on the inside than it seemed on the outside. I can see a spacious kitchen/dining room through an opening in the wall to my left and directly in front of me is cozy living area with a soft-looking couch and armchair. The pillows on top are fuzzy and earth-toned, which seems to be the color scheme of the entire house. To my left I can see a dark wooden staircase leading to the upstairs. I can faintly hear music coming from one of the rooms upstairs. Perhaps she has a roomate?

I hear Ryeowook and Sungmin simultaneously  sigh appreciatively upon seeing the tidy, comfortable living space.

I hear someone clear there throat and we all turn around to face the woman who let us in to her house. Now that we are out of the snow storm and my vision is restored, I can see her clearly. I immediatly feel blood creeping up in to my cheeks. She's really pretty.

She has a small frame, definetly short for her age, making her look younger than she probably is, which I would say is probably in her twenties. She has a round face, making her look cute, with pale white skin and a few freckles adorning her cheeks and nose. Her lips are pink and full, the lower one bigger than the top one, I note. Her nose is slightly upturned and cute. Her strawberry blond hair falls in loose curls down her back and from the distance, I can't tell whether her eyes are green or blue. I'd have to get really close to know for sure. The thought turns my face even redder.

I look at Donghae for help and I notice that his face is visibly red, too, and he's looking down at his feet, shy all of a sudden.

He suddenly looks up and stares her right in the eyes. She stares back. Then he bows at a perfect, 90 degree angle. "Thank you so much! We are truly grateful!" he somehow manages to choke out.

She smiles kindly at him, revealing white teeth that are perfectly straight. "It's no problem. Are you guys hungry?" she asks. I'm about to tell her not to worry about us, that we're fine, but my stomach growls embarassingly, stating my true thoughts.

"A little..." I mumble.

She just lets out a breathy laugh and indicated that we should follow her in to the kitchen/dining room. She starts pulling out all sorts of pots and pans from drawers and food out of the fridge. "Well, sit down. This'll only take a few minutes." she says.

So we do. We sit down at the round, wooden dining table with our knees together, hands folded and in our laps, trying to appear polite. The wait is silent. This is akward.

Eventually, she lays out a few plates of delicious looking food, still steaming, for us to eat. My mouth starts watering at the sight of the food.

"By the way, my name is Erika," she says. "Who are you guys?"

"Yesung."

"Sungmin."

"Eunhyuk."

"Donghae."

"Ryeowook."

We all introduce ourselves quickly, just wanting to get to the food.

'Nice to meet you all." she smiles at us all individually, making me blush and look down at my still empty plate. I notice that Donghae reacts similarly. "Well... What are you all waiting for? Eat already."

                  

 

                                                                             {Yesung's POV}

The food is delicious. Of course it is. It's the first that I've eaten since the plane ride before a three hour walk here. But Erika-shi is also an excellent cook, making the food taste twice as good.

I look around the table at the other members, but none of them are paying attention to anything other than their food, as they shovel it in to their mouths, barely breathing. Those ungrateful bastards.

"Thank you for the food. It's really delicious." I try to recover what's left of Super Junior's manners by thanking her. The other members look up from their food momentarily to mumble "Kamsamnida." through huge mouthfuls of pork. I shoot them each individual glares but they all just ignore me and go back to their food.

She flashes me one of her pretty smiles and tells me not to worry about it. That's when I notice the time. The clock above the stove reads 1:07am. "Omo! You must be so tired!" I say to her. I'd forgotten about the time change. "Did we wake you up? Were you sleeping? Would you like to go back to bed? I'm sure we could clean up! It's no problem!" I'm an idiot, of course. What kind of person would leave five strangers in her kitchen while she slept, not able to see what we were doing. For all she knows, we could be serial killers. Why would she leave us with the knives?

She laughs breathlessly once again. "No, it's fine. I was awake. And I'm not all that tired. I'll at least wait until I've prepared somewhere for you guys to sleep." I feel terrible making her do all this for us.

It's then that I hear loud, jumping noises coming from the staircase. Was somebody coming down the stairs? I get my answer a few seconds later when another extremely pretty girl comes bounding in to the kitchen.

This girl is somehow even shorter than Erika. Maybe 150cm. God, is Canada just full of short people?

Her hair is curlier and shorter than Erika's, a dark brown, tinted with red dye. Her skin is pale and her eyes are a pretty light brown framed by dark lashes. Her nose is small and cute like Erika's, but it's straight at the end.

Almost immediately, starts moving. She asks something in English. "Who are you people?"

Erika stands up, goes over to her and replies in English. "These guys got on a wrong flight at landed at the airport. They've been walking for hours and finally found us. I couldn't leave them out in the cold. Their clothes are soaked through and they looked exhausted. Oh, and by the way, they Korean and they don't understand English."

"Oh! Okay!" The girl says brightly and she turns to smile at us. "Annyeonghaseyo! I'm Maura! Nice to meet you! What are your names?"

We quickly introduce ourselves. "You speak Korean, too?" Eunhyuk asks in disbelief. We definetly picked the right house.

"Oh yeah well Erika's step Father is Korean and since we've always been friends, we grew up learning it together." She replies. She looks us all over once again and her gaze stops at Ryeowook. Her eyes glaze over and turn round like coins.

Ryeowook looks up at her, confused, and more than a little creeped out. What's with the predatory stare?

She finally let's out and "AWWWWWWWWW!" and lunges forward toward Ryeowook, pinching his cheeks. "You are so cute!" she exclaims.

He giggles nervously and we all stop staring and start laughing. What a girl. I'd say Ryeowook has about 20cm on her and she's calling him cute? It's funny, nonetheless to see such a strange and random reaction toward the youngest Super Junior member present.

Erika all of a sudden appears behind Maura and pulls her away from Ryeowook, who is just sitting there akwardly while his cheeks are being pinched and his hair ruffled by the strange girl.

"Stop it! Leave the poor guy alone!" Erika demands. "He's only just gotten here and you're already attacking him!"

Maura pouts dramatically and says "But Erika. He's just so cute. I couldn't help myself!"

"It doesn't matter. That doesn't mean he wants a stranger touching him." Erika lectures. These two are beginning to remind me of a Mother and her child. Guess who the child is.

"Now make yourself useful and go prepare the guest room. A couple of them can sleep in there but the others will have to make do in the den or on the sofa... So get some blankets and pillows and bring them down, okay? Oh and look through dad's clothes that he left behind and pick out a few things for them to wear." Erika instructs.

"Yes, Mom..." Maura trails off. What'd I say? Mother and daughter.

After Maura walks out of the room on her search for extra pillows and blankets, Erika turns to us once again and smiles apologetically.

"Sorry about that. She's a little naive and... Impulsive. The girl doesn't seem to understand personal space." She laughs nervously.

We all just look at each other and smile. This house and these people definitly seem interesting.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

End of chapter 3! :)

*Note: "Bihaengi" means "airplane"

             "Hanguk" means "Korean"