Investigation

An Unexpected Destination

                                                                                              {Eunhyuk's POV}

 

I still don't understand what's happening here. We've been walking for a while and I have no idea where we're going. Nobody's spoken a word either. But this route does seem familiar... Didn't I come this way with Erika yesterday?

Speaking of Erika, I wonder if she's woken up yet. Has she noticed that I'm gone? Does she miss me? Don't get carried away, Eunhyuk. You've only been gone a while. She probably hasn't even noticed that you're gone. Probably doesn't care... Maybe I should take her on a date tomorrow? Like, a real date. One that doesn't involve ice cream or anything of the sort. Are there even any restaurants around here? Restaurants are nice...

Damn it's cold out here. Where the hell are we going?

"Uh... Maura? Hyung? Where exactly are you taking me? And why are you both so quiet?" I ask. Maura halts suddenly and spins her body around to look at me.

"Shhhhhhh! She could be anywhere!" She whispers.

What the hell? Who is she talking about? Is this some sort of spy mission or something? "What do you mean?" I whisper back.

"What do you mean what do I mean?! That girl could be anywhere!"

"Who?" I raise my voice. She sighs and puts her hands on her waist. She's looking at me disapprovingly but I have no idea what I've done wrong. She's the one who practically kidnapped me!

"Who else could I be talking about? Jessie!" She exclaims and then she covers , realizing how loud she is. She looks around to make sure that nobody is watching.

"Um, okay. And why exactly are we following her?" I asked, confused.

"To gather evidence of course!" She explains, sticking one finger in the air. "I've realized that we've already suspected Jessie as the culprit but nobody's done anything about it! So now we're playing the roles of detectives. I'm like... Sherlock Holmes. And Yesung-oppa is my Watson. But since I'm not entirely pleased with oppa's hand writing, we need you here to take notes."

My jaw drops as hyung hands me a tiny pink notepad along with a sparkly blue pen. What? This is why my sleep was disturbed? To take notes for them? And why the hell is my material so girly?! This just won't do. "Sorry guys. I'm out. I'm too tired to deal with this right now." And I want to go back to Erika. I give Yesung back that stupid notepad and pen and turn around, walking back the direction we came.

"Nuh-uh. Hold it right there, mister. You aren't going anywhere." I hear Maura say from behind me.

"And who's going to stop me?" I ask, not looking back and still walking forward.

"No one. But if you choose to go any further, I'll tell Donghae everything." She replies. I stop in my tracks and turn my head to face her. She standing there with her hands once again on her hips and a smug look on her face. Yesung-hyung is just standing behind her, smiling. Seriously, is he some sort of lackey or something?

"W-what do you mean?" I stutter.

"I mean that I'll tell him the good news, silly! Well, he might not take it as good news... But the news about you and Erika! Don't think we haven't noticed anything strange. I'm not stupid." She says cheerily.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." I try to act clueless but my voice shakes, giving me away. I've never been a good liar, a trait that doesn't exactly come in handy at times like this.

"Pshhh," Both of them laugh at me. "Don't lie to me! Now just take your materials and we'll be on our way." Maura giggles and turns around, starting to walk ahead again. I sigh, defeated, grab that disgusting notepad and god-awful pen back from Yesung-hyung and trail after them slowly.

2 hours later~

I drag my feet through the front doorway and slip my shoes and sweater off. We've been 'investigating' for two hours and all I have written down on my stupid pink notepad is likes pink, talks on phone a lot with what must be some guy because she keeps blushing, likes pho, has a crappy pink camera that can't possibly take clear pictures like the ones on the blog (that one may actually be useful) and likes pink... a lot. This girl is starting to remind me of Sungmin. We watched her move around in her pink kitchen, talk on her pink phone, scroll through pictures on her pink camera and eat noodles in her pink bowl for what seemed like eternity. It's like Sungmin's closet in her whole entire house.

"Let me see your observations." Maura holds out her hand to me and I gladly pass over the materials to her. She observes what I've written and nods her head thoughtfully. "Yes... Yes, this just might be helpful. Good work, men." She smiles at us both and I take that as my dismissal. Finally. I'm free.

I run up the stairs, heading toward Erika's room, and I'm surprised when I accidentally crash in to Donghae who's opening the door to our shared room. "Oh, sorry Hae." I mumble, trying to move passed him but he blocks my way.

"Not coming to bed?" He asks, smiling at me.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'll be there in a minute." I reply quickly and push passed him. When I reach Erika's room, I push open the door quietly and peek in to see if she's still sleeping. But she's not there anymore. She must be downstairs. So I race back down the stairs to find her.

I see her sitting on the living room couch, staring at the TV screen. But the TV's off. Strange. I walk around the couch to see her face and she looks upset about something. She's just staring blankly as if she's dazed. I sit beside her and put a hand on her shoulder, trying to get her to look at me. "Erika? Are you okay?" She's startled and jumps practically a meter in the air. I put my arms around her waist and pull her to me. "Woah, calm down. It's okay. It's just me." She looks up at me, surprised.

"Hyukjae? Oh my God i'm sorry! You scared me, that's all." She says quickly.

"That's fine. Now tell me what's wrong." I reply, placing one hand on the side of her cheek.

"Wrong? Nothing's wrong! I'm fine, I swear." She smiles at me but there's something about it that appears ungenuine to me.

"Are you sure about that?" I ask worriedly.

"Yeah. I'm just... Tired. I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning." She says, getting up and walking out of the room and up the stairs. I stare after her. Obviously something is wrong but she's not telling me. I suppose she'll tell me when she's ready. But there's something else bothering me. Something that I've been waiting for since I was dragged out in to the cold, dark night to 'investigate'.

Where's my goodnight kiss?!