Love

An Unexpected Destination

                                                                                                              {Yesung's POV}

 

I stumble through the dark room, throwing my arms out in front of me, trying to find the door. When I finally do, I turn the knob and open the door, tripping over my own feet as I walk out of the small room. I'm now in the living area but I can't see a thing. I know Sungmin and Ryeowook are there sleeping, though, because I can hear the sound of their deep breathing. But I can't exactly pinpoint where they are, and I can find nothing to put my hands on to guide me...

"Owwww..." I hear from under my feet. Oops. There's Wookie.

"Uh, don't mind me... Go back to sleep!" I whisper, quickly stepping off of him. I hear him grunt and the sound of him turning over in his sleep. I should be careful from now on.

I continue walking in what I think is the direction of the kitchen. Honestly, I have no idea where I'm going. I'm still half asleep and can't get my thoughts straight. But I'm thirsty as hell. Aish, where's the kitchen for God's sake?

Aha! There it is! I feel the wood of the archway leading in to the larger room and immediately run in, gliding my hands along the wall, trying to find the light switch. My hands search for what must be a minute or so until they finally find what they're looking for and the lights flicker on, illuminating the room. I can see!

Now... Where were those cups again?

I think... That they're above the sink? Yeah, that must be it. I quickly pull open the cupboard door and am relieved to see the water glasses. I pull one down and fill it with water from the sink. I drink it all down quickly, quenching my thirst.

"Ahhh." I sigh in relief, whiping my mouth with the back of my hand. Now I can go back to sleep.

"What are you doing?" I hear a small voice from behind me and turn to see Maura standing there yawning and rubbing her eyes sleepily. I startle, dropping the glass in my hand and cuss under my breath upon hearing the loud sound that it makes. I hope it doesn't wake anyone up. I bend down and pick it up, my hands shaking. While I place it in the sink, I make sure not to look her in the eyes.

I'm so confused! One moment she was crying and running away from me, seeming completely angry at me, like she never wanted to talk to me again but earlier in the afternoon, she'd smiled at me and acted like nothing had happened. Is she bipolar or something?

"Yah, oppa! I asked what you were doing!" She's looking at me irritably now. "You're making a lot of noise!"

"S-sorry," I mumble. "I was just getting some water..."

"Can you not sleep either?" She asks, coming over to stand beside me again. A part of me wants to shrink away while the other part wants her close, closer even.

"No, it's not that. I was just thirsty.." I respond quietly.

"Yah! Yesung! Look at me when you're talking to me!" I turn my whole body to stare at her, startled at the demanding tone. But I suppose I deserve it, avoiding looking at her and all. She's staring at me... Smiling?

"I just can't sleep! Erika's driving me crazy!" She complains, laughing at the same time. Strange. "All I could hear is her screaming in to her pillow! She was being so loud. But then, all of a sudden, it stopped. So I went to go check on her, to see if she was okay or if she fell asleep. But she wasen't there! You know where I found her?"

I shake my head, indicating that I have no idea.

"Don't tell anyone, okay? She was in Donghae and Eunhyuk's room, sitting on their bed and staring at them looking all sad and stuff." She says, giggling. I feel the corners of my mouth quirk at her words. Has Erika finally realized something?

"A-are you serious? Were they awake?" I ask, chuckling along with her.

"Haha, no. They were fast asleep. I think she's trying to make a decision, if you know what I mean." She says, winking.

I smile at her cuteness, loosing myself in the moment, but then I remember that she's supposed to be mad at me. Or at least was supposed to be mad at me. So what's with her attitude now? Is she not even going to give me an explanation?

"Umm..." I start, fiddling with my hands. "Maura, did I do something wrong?"

"Huh? Something wro- Oh!" She finally seems to remember and looks down at her hands. "That..."

We stand there in akward silence for a few seconds, both of us refusing to look at each other, wondering who will break the silence first. Eventually, she does.

"I'm sorry, I'm not angry, oppa. I was just upset about something else, that's all." She says in a light tone.

"But... What was it that I said?" I press further, confused.

"It was nothing you said. I was just confused."

"About... About whether you like someone?" I ask the question I'm dying to get an aswer to.

"Uh, well... Yeah. And the answer is that I really don't know. There may be someone that I have feelings for but... I don't think it would work out between us. Besides, he told me that he already has someone he likes." I feel my heart contract in my chest as she says those words. There... There may be someone she likes? But she doesn't think it would work out between them? Does that mean I have a chance? Or... Perhaps she means me?

No. Get over yourself, Jongwoon. There's a possiblilty that it's you but don't get your hopes up. What if it isn't?

"I'm sure that the one he likes is probably you." I say, smiling down at her.

She looks up at me and gasps, surprised. But then she smiles, sadly. "No, I think that it might be Erika that he likes."

"What?! Erika? You... You don't like Donghae, do you? Or Eunhyuk?!" I exclaim.

"No! Of course not!" She reassures me. "I'm pretty sure those guys are off limits! I mean, I like them as friends and all just not like that."

"Then... Who?"

"I think... That you might find out soon enough. Just be patient." She smiles at me, almost shyly and places her hand over mine in a friendly gesture. I clasp our hands together and give her's a squeeze, smiling back at her. My heart is pounding in my chest. I can't help but hope with all my being that that special person to her is me. Why can't it be?

We stand there in comfortable silence for a few minutes, both of us tired but refusing to let go of the other's hand and go to bed. It feels like just letting go right now might break our bond. Maybe it's just a friendly bond, but I'll take what I can get for now. Finally, I hear her speak, breaking the silence.

"So... Who do you think she'll choose?" She asks.

"Huh?" I stare at her, my eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "Who are you talking about?"

"Erika you fool! Who do you think Erika will choose? Donghae or Eunhyuk?"

"Ohhh! Um... I don't know. Who do you think?" I respond.

"I don't know either... They're both amazing candidates."

"Yeah. I mean, Eunhyuk's extremely kind and loyal but Donghae's caring and gentle. They both have they're amazing points. I think they'd both be great for her. I guess it's up to her. It'll be a hard decision."

She smiles at me strangely. "What?" I ask, confused.

"You know, you're a really great hyung to the others. They're lucky to have you." She says.

I feel myself blush and I laugh akwardly, embarassed. "I wouldn't say that..."

"Oh shut up!" She exclaims, hitting my chest playfully. "Eunhyuk's extemely kind and loyal. Donghae's caring and gentle. You totally love them! You act so mean to them sometimes but really you-"

"Shut up and go to sleep!" We hear Ryeowook yell annoyedly.

We look at each other. "Oops..." She whispers. "Maybe we should go to bed..."

"Yeah... Good night." I say, starting to walk away. But of course, our hands out still intertwined.

She giggles and slowly unlatches her fingers from mine. I expect a feeling of emptiness and loss. I don't want to let go of he hand. But all I feel is... Nothing. But when I look up at he smiling face again, there it is. Not emptiness or loss, but affection. Happiness. Everything good. Maybe even...

Love?

"Good night..." She whispers and walks away slowly. I watch her as she disapears out of sight, turning around to look back every few seconds. My chest aches, not wanting her to leave. But I know I'll see her in the morning. She won't be far away. Atleast until we leave. No. Don't think about that. That's not for another few days. Live in the moment... But how will I feel when I have to go? I imagine the feeling and it's like my hearts being ripped out of my chest. It feels empty and lifeless. But then I remember the feeling of holding her hand. That warm, tingly feeling that shot all the way up through my arm and in to my core, touching every part of me, making me feel complete.

I guess this is what they call love.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay! Maura and Yesung made up. Are you happy, Azn_Owl?

And I guess I should ask this question to all my readers: Who do you think Erika should end up with?

It really is a hard decision! I have one vote for our Monkey (GoGaga4Suju). ^^

Does anyone else have any ideas? Please comment! :)