Frustration

An Unexpected Destination

                                                                                                                        {Maura's POV}

 

"What do you think Erika and Jace were arguing about?" I ask Yesung who's sitting next to me on the floor of the den. We've been playing Monopoly for an hour or so. I really needed something to do to get the fight of my mind. But it's still bugging me.

He looks up from moving the thumb tack five spaces. "Why does it matter?"

"Well, it's bothering me." I whine. He smile and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't let it get to you."

"But it already has."

"Why does it bother you so much?" He asks, confused.

"Well... You have to promise not to tell anyone, okay?" He nods, smiling once again. "Jace and I... Well... We kind of used to be a couple. But we never told Erika because I had a feeling that she liked him too. And then one day he moved away and we broke up. I guess you could say it was a clean break up. And I've already gotten over him. But... It just seems like something happened between he and Erika..." Yesung seems completely shocked by my story. He jerks and his foot accidently hits the 'free parking' spot on the board. The fake money scatters everwhere.

"You two dated? You dated him?" He sounds completely astounded.

"Yeah..." What? Does he not think I'm good enough for Jace? "Why are you so surprised?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"Well... It's just... To be blunt... He seems like a complete and total ." He says, a look of disgust on his face.

"Hey!" I exclaim. I pick up a pillow from the couch and start wacking him with it. "He is not! He was always really kind to me!" He starts laughing and covers his face with his arms, trying to shield the blows.

"Well then, if he's such a kind person, then what was with his attitude earlier?" He asks, chuckling.

"That's what I want to know!" I stop hitting him and lean back against the couch, defeated. "What is going on between those two? It's just so frustrating!" I scream.

"Calm down, calm down. I'm sure that Erika will tell you eventually." He reassures me.

"But what if she doesn't? Erika's a really good liar. She can be completely sneaky. And she's really good at keeping secrets. So what if she doesn't tell me? What if I'm left in curiosity for the rest of my life?!" I complain.

"Maura! Chill!" He grabs my face in between his palms and forces me to look at him. "You'll know eventually! Just be patient!"

I pout and look down, his hands still resting on either side of my face. "Fine..."

"There's a good girl." He smiles and pats my head in an approving gesture. For some reason, this make me feel happy.

"Yay! I'm a good girl!" I throw my hands up in victory.

"Yes, you are." He says, chuckling. "Now hurry up! It's your turn to roll!"

 

                                                                                                                      {Erika's POV}

 

I don't know how long I've been asleep, I suppose maybe an hour or so, when I feel an arm around my waist and someone my hair. I feels good so I don't open my eyes and just lie there, enjoying the pleasure of someone else's touch. I've probaly lain there unmoving like that for at least an hour, on the edge of sleep, when I feel lips at my ear.

"I know you're awake." A voice whispers. I smile to myself, my eyes still remaining closed. Hyukjae chuckles and his arm tightens around my waist. "You missed lunch."

"I'm not hungry." I reply quietly.

"That's okay. It wasn't a very exciting meal anyway. We all mostly just listened to Ryeowook boast about himself. I never realized how cocky the guy is.'' I laugh quietly and finally open my eyes, turning around in his arms so that I'm facing him. I snuggle my head into his chest and he keeps on my hair.

"...What was Maura doing?" I ask after a few moments of silence.

His chest vibrates against my face as he chuckles. "I knew you'd ask. Well, she wasn't angry... Or sad. She mostly just looked a little... Pensive. Like she was deep in though. And her thoughts were definitely confusing her."

"Oh." Is all I say.

"When are you going to tell her?" He mumbles into my hair.

"When I'm ready." I reply.

"When will you be ready?"

I pause for a few seconds. I haven't thought about that. "I don't know." I sigh into his shirt and he rubs my back comfortingly.

"Don't worry, I'll help. You won't have to tell her alone."

Part of me feels eternally grateful toward Hyukjae but the other part of me knows that I shouldn't rely on him so much. I mean, sure we've kissed. But we're not technically together. So he's really not inclined to help me at all. But I am glad for the support.

"Thank you, Hyukjae." I whisper.

It's quiet for a while and eventually his hand stops my hair and his arm falls limply across my shoulders. His breathing gets deeper and his chest rises up and down at a steady pace. I realize that he's fallen asleep holding on to me. I feel like I'm in complete bliss. I've dated guys before but never had their kisses been as sweet and gentle as Hyukjae's, never had their embraces felt so comfortable and never had I fallen asleep in their arms. Maybe I've finally found someone to stay with for a long time? But what about when he leaves? Only three days left. But I'm sure we can make it work somehow. My Dad is constantly going back and forth from Korea to visit his family and for work. I'm sure I could go with him. But Hyukjae's an idol... He may be busy... But I'm positive that he'd find time for me. These few days can't just result in nothing. And maybe he can come visit me here sometimes. Plus there's always the internet, phones...

Eventually I fall asleep, thinking about my future relationship with Hyukjae.

 

                                                                                                                        {Hyukjae's POV}

 

I wake up in dark room, blinking my eyes. I look at the clock beside the bed I'm lying on and it reads 8:03 pm. I've been sleeping for hours. The next thing I notice is Erika, rolled up in to a ball in my arms. I can feel her hot breath against my chest and I smile at the sight of her sleeping face. So peaceful and adorable. I bring one finger to her lips and touch them softly. Then I kiss her. She makes a small sound in her sleep. I almost laugh but I don't want to wake her. But I do want to kiss her again...

But I'm interrupted just centimeters from her face when I hear a knock at the door. Erika stirs in her sleep but doesn't wake. I carefully disattach myself from her and walk across the room to the door in my bare feet. I open it and a burst of bright light from the hallway blinds me. I rub my eyes and I'm finally able to see Maura standing in the doorway with her arms crossed over her chest. Yesung, of course, is standing directly behind her, a smug look on his face.

I feel myself blush as if I've been caught doing something wrong. And I guess I kind of have. I'm in a girls room, the lights are off, my clothes are crumpled and my hair is tossled. This doesn't look good for me. Maybe I shouldn't have opened the door? But then they might have just walked in...

"W-what is it?" I stutter, looking down.

Maura humphs. "We're going for a walk. And you're coming with us."

I look up at her, confused. "Isn't it a little late for a walk?" I ask.

"It's necessary that we go on this walk." Is all she replies in a no-nosense tone. What's up with her?

"Um, okay," I start, running my hands through my hair. "Can I at least get changed first?"

"Nope. No time for that." She grabs my arm and starts leading me down the stairs, Yesung trailing behind us. Damn it. Is she going to give me some sort of talk? What, does she not think that I've gone through the talk already? Not that I need it! My intentions toward Erika at the moment are completely non-ual. I swear.

And why the hell would Maura, of all people, start lecturing me about that kind of stuff? Okay, Eunhyuk, stop thinking that way. That thought is ridiculous. Maura would never talk to you about that kind of thing. You're just going on a stroll. I nice stroll through the snow, while you freeze your off and slip on ice into a snow bank a million times.

Just a nice, relaxing stroll.